While I realise they lose out to Thallax in a lot of areas, I'm interested in using some Scyllax in a Reductor list and I was wondering if anyone has any experience using them or tips for how to get the best out of them on the field? I'm tentatively thinking about having them accompany my Archmagos (I'll be converting the Nepharya model from Raging Heroes so they seemed a fitting bodyguard) but I'm very open to any better ideas.

So I am thinking about slowly expanding my alpha legion to mehanicum too. How do you rate mehanicum effectivnes to legion lists? No one in my club plays them, people are starting to slowly convert to 30k. And I usually like stuff no one has.

When it comes to mehanicum tanks, I am not reall fan of how they look, although I cant deny th2y have great stats. But their transport looks really nice!

I do like most of robot stuff! Thallax, castellax, thantara, myrmidons. How effective would you rate it if it was build around these units? Those cheap thralls really dont work for me look vise, but also $ to ots ration too.

My experience with Thallax is wanting- they are all about the special weapon (only 1) and have a tough time hitting things in melee. That said, they make good bodyguards, and you can deepstrike them in with tank hunter to disrupt stuff in the backfield.

Robots are solid units, but lost the ability to score. If you ally in Admech then Cybernetica is a good choice. As a primary detachment Reductor or the vanilla list are better options as they have none of the drawbacks Cybernetica got saddled with.

Hey guys,

What do you think about this list for 1850:

Archmagos

Abeyant, Machinator Array, Myrmidax Cult, 2x Meltaguns, 2x Chainfists, Rad Grenades, Cyber Familiar

Magos

Augury Scanner

Adsec Covenant x20

Carapace Armour, Laslocks, Rite of Pure Thought

Adsec Covenant x20

Carapace Armour, Laslocks, Rite of Pure Thought

Castellax Maniple x3

Darkfire Cannons, ETA

Myrmidon Destructors x3

Grav Imploders

Triaros Conveyor

Krios Squadron

2x Venator

Thanatar

Paragon of Metal

Krios Squadon goes up one flank, Triaros with Magos and Myrmidons go up the other, and the Castellax marches up with the middle with the Thrall meat shield.

Can someone suggest me a solid foundation for an Ordo Reductor list at 1,500 points?

I ask because I'm honestly not sure what I should be looking to do with my mandatory two units of Thallax, whether I'm better off using them, Castellax, Krios Venators or something like dual Graviton Myrmidons to provide anti-armour at that level or what I should even look to use my Magos/Archmagos Reductor for.

I have a lot of ideas for units that I would like to field but I'm not really sure what I should take first to cover the bases before I start thinking about more unusual choices.

Before I throw a truckload of suggestions at you, are you going to run the Ordo Reductor "Matrix of Ruin" Force Org Chart? It's got pros and cons, but it changes the way you build the list a lot. :)

im building an Ordo Reductor List myself using the matrix of ruin.  I'm building it with the Idea of NO cybernetica units.  So far these are the units ive chosen so far.

Destructors with Grav Imploders

Secutors with Volkite or Phased Plasma-fusil

Thallax units with either Multi Melta's or Photon Thrusters, +Destructor upgrade

The Custom Artillery battery, 3 with medusa's (get both types of ammo)

Both Versions of the Krios.

For an Archmagos/Magos Reductor or any HQ.

Abeyant and Machinator are both worth the points increase.

Malagra is good for a melee character and Myrmidax can be another Shooty platform.

Rad Furnace is exspensive but can be an omg good Force Multiplier.

Rejigged the list a bit and changed it to Legio Cybernetica:

Cybernetica 2k

HQ - Archmagos Dominus

Abeyant, Augury Scanner, Cyber-familiar, Machinator Array, Meltagun, Power Axe

Goes with the melee Castellax.

HQ - Magos Dominus

Augury Scanner, Machinator Array

Hangs with the Darkfire Castellax.

TROOPS - Adsecularis Covenant x20

Rite of Pure Thought

Meat shield for the Castellax as they advance. Or should they stay at home and protect the Thanatar and Darkfire Castellax?

TROOPS - Castellax Maniple x3

Darkfire Cannons, Enhanced Targeting Array

Primary source of ranged AP2. Babysit by a Magos.

TROOPS - Castellax Maniple x4

3x Power Blades, 1x Siege Wrecker

Distraction Carnifex. Joined by the Archmagos to keep them in mint condition with his array.

HEAVY - Krios

Venator Upgrade

Primary source of anti-tank.

HEAVY - Thanatar

Paragon of Metal

Self-explanatory!

HEAVY - Myrmidon Destructors x3

Volkite Culverins

My primary chaff clearing unit. They can also take on light armour and flyers at a pinch, as well as pour wounds onto an Astartes unit.

Should be 2k on the nose by my reckoning. It doesn't include some things I'd really love such as the Triaros and Destructors with Grav Imploders or a unit of Vorax or Thallax, but they can be included in variations to keep the list fresh.

I also want to expand this to 2500 by including a Knight, probably the Atrapos. Then the Ordinatus at some point for lolz.

Thoughts?

Before I throw a truckload of suggestions at you, are you going to run the Ordo Reductor "Matrix of Ruin" Force Org Chart? It's got pros and cons, but it changes the way you build the list a lot. :smile.:

I'm open to the idea, although my main problem is that I'm not really sure what I'm going to run. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the sheer scope of options available to me, a great many of which I like, and my complete lack of experience of actually playing 30k means I haven't got much of an idea what I should be bringing to the table. That's why I'm interested in getting advice on what I should look to do for the basic building blocks of a force so that I can then start adding my own preferences to it to round things off.

I definitely like the heavy armour side of the Reductor so I'd certainly be interested to see what you have to say about Matrix of Ruin lists.

Rejigged the list a bit and changed it to Legio Cybernetica:

Cybernetica 2k

HQ - Archmagos Dominus

Abeyant, Augury Scanner, Cyber-familiar, Machinator Array, Meltagun, Power Axe

Goes with the melee Castellax.

HQ - Magos Dominus

Augury Scanner, Machinator Array

Hangs with the Darkfire Castellax.

TROOPS - Adsecularis Covenant x20

Rite of Pure Thought

Meat shield for the Castellax as they advance. Or should they stay at home and protect the Thanatar and Darkfire Castellax?

TROOPS - Castellax Maniple x3

Darkfire Cannons, Enhanced Targeting Array

Primary source of ranged AP2. Babysit by a Magos.

TROOPS - Castellax Maniple x4

3x Power Blades, 1x Siege Wrecker

Distraction Carnifex. Joined by the Archmagos to keep them in mint condition with his array.

HEAVY - Krios

Venator Upgrade

Primary source of anti-tank.

HEAVY - Thanatar

Paragon of Metal

Self-explanatory!

HEAVY - Myrmidon Destructors x3

Volkite Culverins

My primary chaff clearing unit. They can also take on light armour and flyers at a pinch, as well as pour wounds onto an Astartes unit.

Should be 2k on the nose by my reckoning. It doesn't include some things I'd really love such as the Triaros and Destructors with Grav Imploders or a unit of Vorax or Thallax, but they can be included in variations to keep the list fresh.

I also want to expand this to 2500 by including a Knight, probably the Atrapos. Then the Ordinatus at some point for lolz.

Thoughts?

Only problem is you have a single scoring unit. Otherwise, it has all the models I usually like to field.

Instead of Machinator array, I'd take the relic cortex controller on the Dominus, so he can use the now improved Cybernetica powers on whole maniples.

Edited by Terminus

@Brightstar - the Mechanicum Taghmata update is fairly recent, so from my perspective it's just theoryhammer, though I'm buying the Mechanicum Red Book now so I can start an allied force for my Alpha Legion (with Inar Satarael). But by looking at all the special rules and trying to figure out the best way to use them, you will find a few synergies.

Whilst Ordo Reductor needs a Magos Reductor, you could take him stock and then take an Archmagos Prime with Archimandrite for It Will Not Die on all your vehicles. Either way, on your primary HQ, don't be afraid to spend 300-odd points on them. They will comfortably take on any other HQ out there (except real combat beasts like Sigismund). In Assault, an Archmagos Reductor should have WS5,BS5,S5,T6,W4,I4,A2(3),Ld10,Sv2+/3++ with a Paragon blade & power fist! Brutal stuff. Put him in with Myrmidon Destructors for Preferred Enemy and he'll even do some damage to a Primarch! His Master of Destruction rule is also nifty. And as 1d4chan say: "His best buddy is the (Magos) Ordinator: an Armourbane + Wrecker + Sunder + extra table damage weapon can kill pretty much everything, so put them together and buff his bombardment attack."

With Matrix of Ruin, vehicles with the Tank type are scoring in the enemy deployment zone, so Krios are key as they're Fast Vehicles. Normal Krios are good against MEQs and Venators are good against armour (though if they have no vehicles to target, don't be afraid to kill some Terminators as their pulsar-fusils are also Pinning). Ignoring Difficult & Dangerous Terrain is remarkably useful too.

Your 2 Compulsory Thallax can fill a variety of roles. Always take them in multiples of 3 so you can take advantage of the special weapons (which are the real damage dealers). 40k Tau JSJ tactics are pretty much the way to play them.

- I'm partial to photon thrusters with the Destructor upgrade, as Tank Hunters will let them fish for 6's; the lightning guns have Rending and the photon thrusters have Lance, so they glance any vehicle on a 6.

- Phased plasma-fusils are also pretty good, as Thallax are Relentless. I feel like Myrmidon Secutors can do them better though.

- Icarian (for Skyfire) is a bit weak, as most weapons are short-ranged. Ordo Reductor can just take Hyperios Whirlwinds cheap, so they're the go-to choice for anti-air.

- the Wild Card upgrade is Ferrox. Rage and Rending on all melee attacks is pretty good! Whilst only WS3, giving them heavy chainblades means 4 S7 AP4 Rending attacks on the charge - nothing to sneeze at. Add a jet pack Magos (not Reductor, unfortunately) with rad grenades and you're Instant Death-ing MEQs.

Ordo Reductor Artillery Batteries are awesome! Use them to cover whatever your army lacks. Mars-Colossus bombards will wreck MEQ, for instance. Medusa cannons are good against pretty much everything, and they're cheaper than the Legion ones. And like I said previously, Hyperios Whirlwinds are decent anti-air. You also need 2 Compulsory choices for Matrix of Ruin, so you're spoiled for choice.

I'm not convinced that Minotaur Batteries are that great (mainly due to range restrictions and indirect fire). Anyone else had any experience with them outside of Apocalypse?

The only bonus that might be hard to take advantage of is the 2 Lords of War slots. All the Knights can already be taken 2 per slot, so you're only gaining the option for 2 Engines of Destruction (which are all points-heavy). It does give you deployment versatility if you take 2 Knights - 1 per slot deployed at either end of the board. It also lets you take 2 x 25% of your army as 2 Lords of War. 1850-point army? How does a Lancer and an Atrapos sound? :/ This is very cheesy though and moves away from the narrative that is 30k.

The standard units are good for OR too:

- Tech-thralls with Rite of Pure Thought & carapace armour are cheap & Scoring. Useless at killing anything, but that's not their job.

- Myrmidon Secutors with graviton guns or phased-plasma fusils are pretty good.

- Myrmidon Destructors are unbelievable. Volkite calivers & an irradiation engine ftw. Also, Preferred Enemy. :)

- all 3 above are surprisingly tough due to their gear/rules. They can also take Triaros DT's - the sexiest, most steampunk, "World of Tomorrow" tank I've ever seen. Rules are good too, especially with OR bonuses.

- Macrocarid Explorators (Mechanicum Land Raiders) are cool. Flare shields on AV14 is hard to beat, plus they can be customised to no end. I really want to see a new model for them though (with less armour and more energy shields like Krios).

- Big Stompy Robots are always good. They can't be spammed due to Patterns of Force, but that method is better used in Legio Cybernetica anyway. A single Paragon of Metal Thanatar is still a brilliant choice.

- Primaris-Lightnings (with Kraken penetrators and all the upgrades) will destroy almost any vehicle the turn it arrives, including Super-heavies.

All in all, I think Ordo Reductor have become the strongest Mechanicum army. I still have a soft spot for Legio Cybernetica, but OR have decent bonuses and can take everything Taghmata now - simply awesome.

Secutors are bad IMO, just way too expensive for what they do. I am not sure we will see an Explorator model, but it would be nice.

Cybernetica make good allies, since  you usually don't need that many slots. Dominus, 2 Castellax Maniples, a Vorax Maniple, and a Thanatar. That's all you need.

Anyone tried a Tank Killer Magos at all to run with some armour hunting Thallax?

As discussed earlier the Thallax with Destructor and Photon Thrusters can hurt any armour with a little luck, but join onto the unit this fella:

Magos, Ordinator, Jet Pack, Photon Thruster.

As well as the units shooting he fires his Str 6 Lance weapon against AV12 at best, gets 2d6 penetration from Armourbane and Tank Hunters from the unit just for extra giggles.

all this and the Jet pack makes him relentless so he can hop around the board with the ablative wounds from the unit popping tanks.

thoughts?

Edited by Shaolin_Monkey

Anyone had good experience with the Vorax?  The weight of fire look's fairly good, and on the charge that's a fair amount of AP2 nom nom's.

Also, can you take Ordo Reductor WITHOUT it's unique force org? The rulebook says "gains access" but does not seem to indicate that it MUST. Reason I bring this up is I wanted to ally in some SA for choom and battle cannon loving.

Vorax look good now, but I think you need the Legio Cybernetica Battle Cohort to make any automata work best. Yes, on the charge they'll have 4 S6 AP2 Rending attacks at Initiative 5 - nice! Having Crusader & Scout is good too.

You don't have to run Matrix of Ruin with Ordo Reductor, but only Ordo Reductor can run Matrix of Ruin. Totally optional, but you're losing Scoring Tanks and the extra Heavy Support/Lord of War slots.

Yes, you definitely want those Cybernetica bonuses, and since no automata can score, you really don't want to bring your Cybernetica as the primary detachment. Thankfully they work really well as allies. A maniple of castellax led by dominus, and a maniple of vorax on the flank shouldn't set you back more than 500-600 points.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing for my Alpha Legion - Dominus, Castellax, Vorax, a Thanatar and a PoM Domitar. Fills the slots nicely.

Speaking of Paragon of Metal... Domitars. While a Thanatar is often chosen as the PoM, I feel like the benefits are wasted, given it tends to hide away. Domitars, on the other hand, seem pretty cool for this role!

When charging, it has D3 Hammer of Wraths at S7, plus 4 S10 AP2 attacks with Concussive & Wrecker at Initiative 4 (with Legio Cybernetica). Rampage adds D3 extra attacks, so it will rip through Dreadnoughts & MEQs. TEQs are also going to be squished, but returning attacks from fists or hammers are going to hurt (3+ to wound). Still, 6++ and IWND is better than nothing.

When the model hits, I think I'll be getting one! :)