Captain Semper's HH Word Bearers

Thanks Flint! I really want to re-think the helmet, introduce script on the armour and of course wait for the proper bases...

Now tell me you're doing a gloss version of those psycho zealots from outer space! :lol:

Wow Cap'n. 

Every time I check these guys out, it makes me kinda wish I had tried a matte red for my Bearers. 

I love that multi-layered iron look you have going on for the Terminators too!

Thank you both for your kind words! 

I'm experimenting with a new camera I got (so I will not use the iPhone anymore) so I'm trying to figure out the best settings for close range (I believe they call it "macro"?) photography. Still early days :rolleyes:

Oooh, these look good! Keep it up, Semper! :tu:

And yes, you've got macro and some cameras even have super macro. It takes a bit of figuring out and experimenting, especially if you want the colours on the picture to be as close as possible to reality, but once you've nailed your technique you'll definitely notice how much better a proper camera is compared to a phone camera (though having a decent phone camera for WIP shots is still a good thing to have)!

Oooh, these look good! Keep it up, Semper! thumbsup.gif

And yes, you've got macro and some cameras even have super macro. It takes a bit of figuring out and experimenting, especially if you want the colours on the picture to be as close as possible to reality, but once you've nailed your technique you'll definitely notice how much better a proper camera is compared to a phone camera (though having a decent phone camera for WIP shots is still a good thing to have)!

Thank you Dos, I'm still struggling with the technical aspects... dry.png I also realise that the upload quality is waaaay lower than the actual pic (like 160kb vs. 3.9Mb). I know there is a limit on the size of upload files but I think I can do better than 160k... I have to work around that somehow.

Anyway, this is my finished Termie Sergeant:

med_gallery_27176_9395_55654.jpg

med_gallery_27176_9395_22062.jpg

med_gallery_27176_9395_146493.jpg

med_gallery_27176_9395_158427.jpg

Thank you Kriegsmacht, its the wonder of the Leadbleacher with Nuln Oil combo... :lol: Put them together and the effect is so good, you don't really need to do much else (ok, maybe a small dry brushing with Leadbleacher again but that's it!).

Now back to the Camera manual... geek.gif

The usual upload size of my pictures is between 250kb and 600kb, depending on the size, how much I've cropped the image, and quantity of colours on the picture (the upload limit being 2Mb). Make sure you look at the camera settings and select the highest quality picture. Also, what helps with image quality is having saving them in the .png format. The .jpg format compresses the image file quite a bit and you loose a lot of quality. That's fine for WIP shots and such, but for showcase images it just doesn't do it.

Unfortunately, not all cameras (mine included) allow you to directly save the pictures on your camera in the .png format. I have two options: RAW and JPEG. Since RAW requires quite a bit of image editing knowledge and the right software, I go with JPEG. I open them up on my computer with GIMP (a very powerful open source piece of software) and then crop the pictures, resize them, etc. Once that is done, you can export them (which is basically saving them) in whatever format you'd like. I then save them in .png and lose very little quality-wise.

If some of these instruction/tips are unclear, just let me know and I'll do a write-up with pictures to make things clearer. :) In any case, I hope that helps somewhat!

Holy macaroni, I know I'm late to the party, but the Cap went traitor?!? Your word bearers are amazingly good!

Yeah, and this is after I did some ECs! :o (they are still not 100% done btw) 

Like the red.  I also use AP Chaotic Red on my Flesh Tearers and have been very pleased with how it coats.

Also love the idea of using metallic accents on the back of the Cataphractii legs.  Breaks up the scheme nicely.

I saw this metallic approach and really liked it so I thought of replicating. Truth is it looks even better with really dark schemes like Night Lords or any of the "black" Legions. But it breaks up the red nicely here and it's more interesting to paint to... Glad you liked them! :)

Archived