Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inspiration Friday 2016: Thousand Sons (until 1/13)

- - - - - Inspiration Friday Inspiration Friday 2016 fanfiction Chaos Writing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
470 replies to this topic

Thedarkprincesnun

Thedarkprincesnun

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,483 posts
Ooh chaos vs nids? Ive got a idea for a story not sure if it would work though. (Basically my Nurgle warband capturing those Jean thief's and forcibly binding daemons into them :D )

Chaplain Gunzhard

Chaplain Gunzhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,576 posts
I noticed the deadline on the Nid story has passed, was that just a typo?

Thanks! ;-)

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei02.jpggallery_21629_1142_21859.gif
Please check out my 40K blog: http://atticwars40k.blogspot.com/

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,817 posts
I corrected the deadline :D

And go for it, Darkprincesnun. It might not be easy but it's up to you to make it believable.

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

Cult

Hidden Content

eh, not my best work, but whatever, I liked the concept well enough, and it's been a while

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

Chaplain Gunzhard

Chaplain Gunzhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,576 posts
My wife teased me that my story was so bad it broke the forum... hah hopefully it was just coincidence. ;-)

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei02.jpggallery_21629_1142_21859.gif
Please check out my 40K blog: http://atticwars40k.blogspot.com/

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Salvage
Spoiler

MyD4rkPassenger

MyD4rkPassenger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 319 posts

Apologies on the late judging for the Blood Angels challenge, with the forum going down and my university work ratcheting up I lost track of the forums.  Ill have a winner picked later this evening.  

gallery_63428_7083_6894.pngX2Nostraman_zpsf4be09e4.png WHTV40kListsHeader Custodes

MyD4rkPassenger

MyD4rkPassenger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 319 posts

Again apologies.

I'll preface by saying all of these tales were fantastic this week and I enjoyed them all. 

For Carrack's story I really enjoyed the description of the Red Thirst taking hold of the commander and his men.  I loved how you highlighted it as his shame and a taboo amongst the marines to even speak of it.  Plus the fear of the servants and the holding of garlic was a great touch.  The battle between your Lord and the Chapter master was well written from the viewpoint of an onlooker and a potential rival, highlighting the combi melta strike as a cheap victory was a selling point in his traitorous thoughts about his lord.  Again your description of the Black Rage was wonderful, it felt like a fluid transition into madness.

In Chaplain Gunzhard's I felt the excitement and introspection of a neophyte in the scout squadrons.  His reactions to his brothers dying felt like an astartes should react, somber reflection on their duty being done to the best of their ability.  I really liked your description of the primary target, I created a perfect mental image of this fleshy crate that seemed alive.  I think though my favorite part was the veteran sergeant looking at the neophyte and smiling before their charge with all of the Death Company right behind them.  It gave me all the best feelings of watching Aragorn charge the black gate saying "for Frodo" in Return of the King.  

In Scourged's I felt the the maddened joy of the cultists in their duel with the sons of Sanguinius.  Their internal thoughts zipping around their god orchestrating the events before them felt exactly how a chaos cultist should think.  I really enjoyed their internal doubts after they had been routed from their ambush point.  When things are going good, they're really good, but when the situation reverses they go from fearful doubt back to resignation that their god truly wanted them to die.  When that daemon engine appeared though was fantastic, the cultists venerating this infernal object as their savior and the will of their god manifest felt right to me.  

This was a close call for me, I deliberated for a while, all of the battle scenes were amazing as well.  I pictured them all easily and with great detail.  I again want to make a point that I thought all three of these stories were fantastic, but in the end I choose Carrack's tale.  

Edited by MyD4rkPassenger, 30 September 2016 - 04:00 AM.

gallery_63428_7083_6894.pngX2Nostraman_zpsf4be09e4.png WHTV40kListsHeader Custodes

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,817 posts
The Chapel of the Host
Hidden Content

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,817 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png
I thank you for your entries in Inspirational Friday: The Primordial Annihilator versus the Bug over the last week.

I thoroughly enjoyed both Teetengee’s and Carrack’s entries.
Teetengee, yours was an excellent and most welcome return to IF. It’s good to have you back with us.
And Carrack, yours had enough homages to a certain sequel that I couldn’t help but smile as I read it.

I hereby close that topic for the purposes of rewards (though as always if you have more entries on the topic please post them at any time, with a suitable note in the post’s title).

Here begins our twenty ninth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2016:
Aquatic Combat
All too often we write about our renegades and traitors fighting the Long War on the ground or, occasionally, in the void of space. I’d like to see how things go when we put the protagonists into some more varied/extreme environs. Inspired by the fact that the majority of our characters are `marines`...let’s get ‘em wet.
The theme for this week’s Inspiration Friday is Aquatic Combat. In it or on it.
If popular/interesting then we’ll see about some other environments in the future.
Inspirational Friday: Aquatic Combat runs until the 7th of October.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Carrack.
To the chosen victor: step forward and claim your Octed Amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Here are my thoughts on last week's IF.

Teetengee. You capture what a cult is better than most do. Your writing described how cults of different gods interacted with each other, and the cults went well beyond the typical disgruntled underhivers following the lies of a manipulative cult magos, that we usually see. The customs of the Moot, and the race to get there struck me as original, and ritually significant, the way cults should be. When the Cult of the True Flesh revealed themselves, and suffered the consequences of doing so, they reacted like a cult, looking to bring on the "Angels of the Void", in essence, seeking divine intervention of a sort.

You also showed corruption and the responses to it. All the participants at the Moot were corrupted by chaos, but the Cult of the True Flesh, were further corrupted by the alien. The other cults, corrupted by chaos, would not stand for this. I think this added layers to the story.

My story. I must admit, I've never played a game against nids, read their codex, or read much of anything about them. I had seen two movies, sequels, about their inspiration a few times, maybe more than a few times. Searching the wiki sites for better knowledge on the bugs didn't appeal to me this week, so I went with the movies. I tried to do this humorously, but I think it mostly fell flat. I should have either gone full tilt fan fiction crossover CSM vs Aliens, there is a precedent, or left it out completely.

Kierdale. You added depth to the story of the Psychopomps with describing the extent of the cults they have seeded. The little details like the levels of secret hand signs, and what they signify, were excellent touches, as was the unexpected mission failure of the agent.

Both of the participants wrote good stories, and I'm unable to come to a decision at the moment, but I will make my choice for who is the winner tomorrow or the next day.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Teetengee is the winner. Congratulations.

Edited by Carrack, 03 October 2016 - 04:57 AM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,817 posts
Well deserved! Congratulations, Teetengee!

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

Thanks! I suppose this means I should catch up on things..... ;)

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Feeding Katan II

Note: this takes place before any other story I've written about the Black Maw.

Spoiler

Edited by Carrack, 04 October 2016 - 08:11 PM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,817 posts
From the Depths
Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thedarkprincesnun

Thedarkprincesnun

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,483 posts
Into the dark depths
It had been 7 weeks. 7 weeks of journeying through the warp to reach the world of Atlyantia. It had once been a beautiful world ripe with life but a sudden change in the worlds atmosphere combined with tetonic shifts in the planets crust, had seem the world go from a jewel of the imperium to a under water world. Zai sighed, it annoyed him that the Plague Lord had picked his squad of plague marines for this campaign. They weren't going in alone of course they were one of seven squads of plague marines chosen alongside 7 squads of terminators chosen to lead the assault. What they were looking for however was unknown, and he didn't like it he might be a son of mortarion and champion of Nurgle but he wasn't stupid.

"Sir" came a voice over the vox. It belonged to the squads plasma gunner Jimmy. "Report" said Zai. "It seems that this world will test us to our limit" said Jimmy. "Ha good its been a while since we had a challenge" said Zai. "Aye it has sir however im curious why is the lord chucking so many of his veteran company terminators alongside us the warriors of the 7th company" said Jimmy rather sheepishly. "Because the commander wishes for this attack to be quick, we are only here to retrieve a artefact that's all" said Zai clearly irritated. With that no more was said.

4 hours later they finally landed in the ocean and the battle began. Rhinos were not suitable in this environment so the warriors of the chapter were being deployed on foot, something which made the warriors of the 7th company un nervous for they were used to mechanised warfare. As the battle began the first wave of defenders swam out lasguns and other weapons raised to fire on the plague marines. "For the plague lord and for the grandfather" shouted the Plague marines raising their bolters and plasma weapons firing shot after shot into the defenders bolters exploding bodies while plasma burnt holes through the defenders.

Forced to fall back the defenders withdrew to the underwater citadel they had come out of. Raising both bolt pistol and plague knifes the plague marines charged slamming melta bombs onto the citadel doors allowing them to break in and it was here were the plague marines slaughtered the defenders plague knifes rotting the flesh of their victims while the plague marines were themselves immune to the toxins. Within 90 minutes the cities outer wall had fallen and it would only take another 3 hours for the rest to fall.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

None for me this week, folks. Being let go from work and prepping for an impeding hurricane has left me quite busy. But I shall enjoy your aquatic endeavors once life calms down!

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,817 posts
I'm very sorry to hear that, Scourged. Good luck against the hurricane and in finding a new job!

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,817 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png
I thank you for your entries in Inspirational Friday: Aquatic Warfare over the last week.

Carrack - Feeding Katan II. This was just the kind of thing I was hoping for when I thought up the idea of last week’s IF challenge. How marines would adapt their combat tactics to underwater environments and conditions.
The bit about the bolter rounds specifically made for underwater combat was excellent (and Casper’s causing the enemy’s bolt to detonate within the barrel).

The Darkprincesnun - Into the dark depths. I liked the build-up, and the explanation of how the planet had become oceanic, but in my opinion a little more time taken in describing events would have helped a lot. I couldn’t be sure if the combat took place under the water or above it... The idea of a plasma gun being fired under water immediately makes one wonder what kind of trouble that might be for the gunner (even if it doesn’t overheat)! How the water effects plague marines...as soon as they enter the water a cloud of filth/mire spreads out about them? You could have a summoned legion of plaguebearers or zombies traipsing across the ocean floor...

I hereby close that topic for the purposes of rewards (though as always if you have more entries on the topic please post them at any time, with a suitable note in the post’s title).

Here begins our thirtieth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2016:
Campaign III – Tables Turn / The Crucible
In Part One part one we wrote about the preparation and opening moves of a Chaos force against their chosen foe. In Part Two we detailed the initial assault, and now we come to all out warfare! The 30th challenge of IF2016 has a double title as you can choose to focus simply on the battle: `Crucible`, or have the battle take an unexpected twist: `Tables Turn`.
Either way, things should set up the campaign for the fourth and final part: Campaign IV: Climax. Coming before the end of 2016...

To those who did not enter part one and two: by all means submit three entries biggrin.png...or at the other end of the scale just submit part three...or give us a summary of what happened in the buildup to this battle and cover the battle itself in detail.

Inspirational Friday: Campaign III – Tables Turn / The Crucible runs until the 21st of October.

Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Teetengee.
To the chosen victor: step forward and claim your Octed Amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

And I’ll finish with a call for suggestions.
I still have lots of IF themes on my list (I did start writing out the list to post here, then thought better of it. If I show you the themes now some of you might start writing now and the poor judge would end up with several novella to read that week msn-wink.gif ) but more are always welcome.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
The Shield
Aspis, Subsector Seat
Spoiler

Aspis Eternal

Spoiler

Edited by Carrack, 29 October 2016 - 05:14 AM.

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

Carrack, seemed a bit short, though I liked the kinship concept.

Darkprincesnum: I feel it could be expanded upon, this felt more like an overview at times.

Kierdale: I felt that some parts of it could have used some more revision, it seemed scattered. However, the ideas of the ritual, the water daemons, and the Gunakadeit I found quite interesting. You win this round.

MyD4rkPassenger

MyD4rkPassenger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 319 posts

Preparations

Spoiler

I'm going to update this with parts 2 and three as they come, I'm also not done with part one so take it as a wip if you read it

Edited by MyD4rkPassenger, 17 October 2016 - 04:49 PM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,817 posts
Campaign III – Trapped in the Web
Hidden Content

And a quick question. Would you like a third week to get entries in? I’m judging the current IF and I’d don’t mind having a fair few entries to read. If a third week will give more members the opportunity to enter, I’m fine with it.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
I'm fine with another week