Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inspiration Friday 2016: Thousand Sons (until 1/13)

- - - - - Inspiration Friday Inspiration Friday 2016 fanfiction Chaos Writing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
470 replies to this topic

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,828 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png
I thank you all for your dastardly and devious entries in Interview with a Daemon Prince over the last week.
I will make a post with commentary and announcing the winner later.
I hereby close that topic for the purposes of rewards (though, as always, if you have more tales to tell feel free to post them at any time).

And here begins our eighth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2016:
Skirmish: Upon Cursed Wings
Tying in with the current Daemon Forge it is the turn of our jump-pack equipped forces: raptors versus assault marines, warp talons versus vanguard...
The main supply route to the capital city was secured in a previous mission. Now the enemy are pushing toward your stronghold (or you theirs). Your jump-pack equipped warriors are tasked with:
Bringing down the bridge over the Iron Gorge to halt the enemy advance.
Or
Defending the bridge over the Iron Gorge so that reinforcements can get to the front line/the offensive can proceed.
Or
Capturing the bridge so that the offensive can proceed.

The squad of raptors or warp talons are opposed by a squad of loyalist assault marines (or vanguard veterans in the case of warp talons). You’re free to add in other forces as necessary, but the jump-packers should be the main focus.
For those who missed the tacticals-on-`tacticals` challenge, feel free to do both.

Inspirational Friday: Skirmish – Upon Cursed Wings runs until the 25th of March and photos of models which feature in your piece (even WIP) are most welcome.

Let us be inspired.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,828 posts
Teetengee gave us The Prince of Eyes, charting the daemon prince’s rise from a mere mortal, via the account of one of his minions (or his minion’s minion’s minion...), telling an inquisitor about how the prince gained his power and spread his influence.
I thought the tale was very well told and the path well thought out. The sharing of eyes was a nasty idea, and that a donor could see what the receiver saw via that eye. As I was reading it I almost wondered if Kalthedor was actually the prince, pulling a Kaiser Soze-like move.

Scourged gave us The Final Gem. Any tale of Khorne worshippers getting the sore end of a deal brings a wicked smile to this Slaanesh-devotee’s face. I liked The Marrow’s putting on a shamanic show for his `allies`. And the description of his final transformation, the absorbing of his weapons and his new ‘face’ as Tzek’fluum was born.

Carrack gave us Downcast Eyes. This featured something I wanted to see: why a daemon prince might serve an astartes lord rather than usurping them. The tension between Garaduk One-Eye and prince Cancon-Nagashesha, the latter’s evident desire to slay the former.

Warsmith Aznable gave us Sing To Me. A tale told by Irena the Searcher about a daemon prince (of Malal, if I’m not mistaken), a former Iron Hound who had sacrificed himself to save his warsmith, shunning offers of power from the four Infernal Powers...only for him to be rejected by the warsmith, to have his brethren turned upon him. I found myself feeling sorry for The Forsaken and hope we’ll see more of him in time. Of course, we don’t know if the daemon was a reliable narrator...

Scourged’s second entry, WKHS Channel 8 Breaking News was an excellent piece. A post-battle interview with the daemon prince Hurax Skulltaker after his Andalus Ragehearts defeated their rivals the Chalcion Manflayers.
There were lots of great lines, including:
...It’s not just anyone that can cleave a pleasure lord with a power axe in a way that he doesn’t enjoy the experience... biggrin.png

And finally there was my entry, Satyameva Jayate. I hadn’t actually planned to make an entry this week (I’m sure I’ll have my chaos lord Sophusar ascend eventually but I want to get his non-ascended miniature built before I consider a daemon prince) but on Thursday I had the idea of having a captured Slaansehi prince being interrogated by Sophusar and finally executed by him.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of this theme’s entries and hope to see the characters again in future challenges.

Finally I pronounce Warsmith Aznable our winner this week. The Forsaken showed us a daemon prince who rejected the boon of the chaos gods only to have it thrust upon him and subsequently find himself rejected by the one he had fought so hard to protect.
Step forth and claim your reward:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Congratulations Warsmith, excellent story, as usual. I see a lot of ideas for this week's challenge, I'll have to pick one and go with it.

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts
Unexpected, but I am happy to claim the prize!

The Forsaken is indeed unreliable as a narrator, as he is a daemon prince of Malal with serious acceptance issues. He needs much more than a hug, and his efforts to reconnect with the Warsmith usually look more like attempted murder. I definitely want to explore him as a character in further challenges.

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

Index of Inspiration Friday entries here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

"Three times faster than the usual Warsmith."

Captain Malachi

Captain Malachi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,865 posts
I wasn't around for the tactical vs tactical challenge but I decided not to write it anyway for two reasons. One, I'm lazy, and two, I decided context wouldn't have made any real difference for the story I wrote this time.

Spoiler

Edited by Captain Malachi, 19 March 2016 - 07:05 PM.

Thedarkprincesnun

Thedarkprincesnun

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,483 posts
Upon Decayed Wings

Mortan stood there his feet on a dead body of a Ultramarines assault marine, which he had slew a few seconds earlier after ripping his way into reality through a hole in the warp. He looked around and saw his brothers ripping through Ultramarines one after another the bright yellow skin and dirty green armour of the Death Guard clashing against the clean shiny blue Ultramarines armour.

As the sergant of this squad of Warp Talons unlike his brothers Mortan hadn't completely gave into the Hunter and still had some self control, he ran forward igniting his jump pack leaping for the ultramarine assault sergant who had just killed one of his brothers. "Now corpse worshipper you die" he said his voice sounding raspy and Daemonic before hitting the ultramarine in the chest with his shoulder. "You will get no further heretic" said the ultramarine as he recovered from the shove the warp talon had gave him "in the name of the Emperor I will slay you".

The Ultramarine swing at Mortan with his power sword which Mortan was only just able to dodge "ha nice try ultramarine but now it's time for you to die" he said as he shoved his lightening claw into the Ultramarines chest puncturing his lungs and ripping his secondary heart out, before slashing the Ultramarines neck and kicking him in the chest. The ultramarine staggered backwards and fell over his injuries quickly stopping bleeding "I will not fall here" he said going back on the attack swinging his power sword trying to slay the warp talon champion who jumped over him before the power sword had a chance to hit him. Mortan grabbed his head from behind and twisted it snapping his neck. "Fighting these Ultramarines is boring" he thought "they are too damn predictable"
Here's a pic of said unit of Warp Talons
gallery_86983_11315_955536.jpg

Edited by Thedarkprincesnun, 22 March 2016 - 09:20 AM.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

I wrote a thing. You should read the thing.

Spoiler

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Endure
Spoiler

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,828 posts
Skirmish II - Upon Cursed Wings
Hidden Content

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Fellow aspiring champions of the written word, rejoice!

Don't know if all of you have seen yet, but Black Library is doing another casting call for short story writers. The details are in the News and Rumors thread. So anyone who can crank out a 10,000 word short story should give it an entry and see what happens. The only catch? Imperium-centric. Blegh.

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,828 posts
I was going to mention it in the next update :D but you beat me to it. :tu:
The very best of luck to any and all who enter.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Hah, couldn't help myself Kierdale. I'm too enthused about it. I didn't make the cut for the one done a while back for GW proper, so I'm eager to give it another go.

Thedarkprincesnun

Thedarkprincesnun

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,483 posts
Id be tempted to give it a go but i cant stand writing imperium cemtric stories :P

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

Fell Pinions

Hidden Content

Spoiler

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,828 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png
I thank you all for your entries in Skirmish: Upon Cursed Wings over the last week.
Captain Malachi gave us the tale of loyalist assault marines defending a bridge against the forces of Khorne. In the wake of a wave of cultists mown down by the combined forces of marines and guardsmen came the raptors. I really enjoyed your descriptions of the close combat between the assault marines and raptors, the brutality, the precise targeting of weak spots like joints in foe’s armour.

TheDarkPrince’sNun’s entry this time wasUpon Decayed Wings. A gory tale of Death Guard warp talons fighting an Ultramarine assault squad. It did bring to mind one thing, not a criticism per se, but I often see the Ultramarines written as being fixed in their tactics, staid and predictable. Personally I prefer to think of them as having compiled so many tactics and strategies for every situation, and practiced them to a T, that they are formidable.

Unsure Footing was Scourged’s entry this week. It seems I wasn’t the only one who had his raptors go up from under the bridge! biggrin.png The squad’s adopting of fauna sounds to communicate was particularly inspired! And the trap at the end...delicious.

Carrack’s Endure told us of Vulture raptor cult marines of the Black Maw warband fighting a full-sized assault squad of Angels of Immolation. Like Captain Malachi’s, I liked the gritty fighting and the description of the bridge as it was damaged more and more (that added a good bit of tension to the story).

I brought back a raptor champion, Physes, from a couple of my older entries, having he and his squad infiltrate through the river itself (of course jump packs can work like that msn-wink.gif ) and then up the bridge. I also chose to have the renegades fail their mission this time as we can’t win them all (I hope I communicated Physes’ self-serving reasons for doing so too).

And Teetengee gave us Fell Pinions. Shenanigans! Shenanigans! biggrin.png Just kidding. Great minds do indeed think alike. This week Teetengee gave us an excellent tale of Khornate warp talons clashing with loyalist vanguard. I loved the variety in the talons: extremely original and something I simply hadn’t thought of. Of course such powerful champions of chaos should not be uniform. Certainly something to think about when I get around to making some warp talons. Consider me inspired (I may not be able to resist shamelessly stealing that idea when we get around to part two of the campaign series).

I hereby close that topic for the purposes of rewards (though, as always, if you have more tales to tell feel free to post them at any time).

And here begins our ninth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2016:
Lost In Space (and Time?)
A little something special - and not so serious - for this event as it ends on April 1st. Back when Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer Fantasy Battle shared rules, back in the Rogue Trader days of 40k, occasionally Games Workshop stores would run games in which, due to a teleportation malfunction, a squad of terminators found themselves upon a Fantasy Battle battlefield.
And this week a squad of your terminators has found itself accidentally teleported to the Old World (of WHFB), the Mortal Realms (of AoS), a Bloodbowl pitch...Middle Earth…or some other fantasy or SciFi planet.

Inspirational Friday: Lost In Space (and Time?) runs until the 1st of April.

Let your imagination run wild.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Warsmith Aznable. And to the victor chosen by Warsmith Aznable, step forward to claim your Octed Amulet:
gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

Yeah, I always think that chaos should be full of variety! (Actually, I am working on making those all a reality in model form, Moloc, Shaddek, and Gamor all have models already (will probably see paint for ETL) the others have some work done but aren't complete.)

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's stuff, this week sounds exciting!

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts
I need some time to decide. I will reread them all and think about it, then sleep on it. I will pronounce judgment Saturday.

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

This is most difficult, and even as I begin to type this I'm still not sure what I am about to say. Two entries stood out to me, though I enjoyed reading them all, and I have struggled to determine which of them I like best.

There is a part of me that wants to proclaim that this Octet is shared by two frater for the difficulty I am having making a choice between them, but there is another part of me says, "there can be only one!"

So here I say that Teetengee's story Fell Pinions must stand as the victor, though Scourged comes a very close second. The deciding factor was the ending: I loved the image of the defeated loyalist sergeant burned in his mocked throne and left as an altar to victory, and the grim desperation of the survivor who finds him. It's just a lovely grimdark image to go out on.

And with that having been proclaimed, I present to you my own rather long entry for the continuation of the war series.

The Iron Warriors Invasion of Sicarus: Operation Iron Gorge

Hidden Content

Edited by Warsmith Aznable, 27 May 2016 - 05:20 PM.

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

Thank you! although I feel bad now, since I failed to properly imply what I had intended to about what had been done to Metrocles.

Spoiler
. Still, I am stoked you liked it, I need to get all caught up again before next week!

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,828 posts
Congratulations, Teetengee. I did get that the trooper intended to eat the marine. And loved it.

Just a quick word to draw members' attention to Liberalia Martiale. The Chaos one has only had input from myself and Darkprincesnun beyond the OP. Surely us IF-regulars can keep the ball rolling? :)

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
The Vilest Village

Spoiler

Captain Malachi

Captain Malachi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,865 posts
Spoiler

or some other fantasy or SciFi planet.
So many options. I actually didn't go with my first few ideas though because they were way too obscure.

Obviously this piece is non-canon to my other stories, so the characters may well reappear later.

Edited by Captain Malachi, 30 March 2016 - 02:48 PM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,828 posts
Thelemic Leap
Hidden Content

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

So... I'm not sure my entry quite qualifies for the topic this week. I'll let you all determine that yourselves. Still, once I had the idea I couldn't resist.

Spoiler

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

An idea that I wish I had more time to work on:

Hidden Content