The Singing Nails, a Legio XII Project Log

Guiltysparc

Hello B&C! I've never done a project log like this before but i've read a lot of them across various hobbies and have decided to give it a go.

I played Khorne heavy CSM in 40k and then KDK when that book came out. I really liked the portrayal of Khârn, and the World Eaters in general, in betrayer and when the calth box came out i knew it was only a matter of time before i started this project. So, welcome to my heresy era World Eaters WIP log.

I started out with one betrayal at calth box and heresy Khârn. Then came the FW legion bits!

gallery_92768_11638_66905.jpg
I decided to start with three tactical models as testers. It wasn't until after i had started highlights that i noticed the mold lines on the arms >_<...no big deal, the other 27 will be cleaned up a bit better. After a doing a bit of research on color scheme and wanting to replicate the dark blue in this pic...

a88e62bf5b346283a47cced5b5e79bfb

...i decided to go with a base coat of corax white spray, then wash with a water/nuln oil/glazing medium mix, followed up with white dry brush. I also wanted to try something different with my basing. I decided to go with a city streets/pavement slab theme using cork.
gallery_92768_11638_30784.jpg
gallery_92768_11638_5894.jpg
Here are comparison pics of the spray, wash, and dry brush progression.
gallery_92768_11638_47928.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_42577.jpg

Then i started working on the blue bits using the same paint stack as the GW guide starting with macragge blue.

gallery_92768_11638_19549.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_11557.jpg
Next up on the to do list is doing the FW shoulder and painting one of the knee plates blue. For the legion icon on the shoulder i am thinking about doing a silver planet and gold teeth but not 100% sure yet.
Anyway, i hope you guys enjoy reading this log as i add stuff to it!

Looking great so far!

I love your simple yet attractive technique. I may have to borrow that and actually get my own Eaters past the primer stage happy.png

Thanks, its based on Poom's recipe for white from his project thread (which is awesome btw). The only difference is my wash recipe. Its the same in concept as his, but i'm using nuln oil for the color and i added the glazing medium. I also spilled some nuln when mixing, lol, so its a little more biased towards water in the 50/50 split.

Finished the FW shoulder, quite happy with the way the silver and gold icon look against the blue plate. The only thing i'm bummed about is that i bought all mark IV shoulders since thats what (i thought) came in the calth box but there appear to be a mix of different shoulders. There seem to be a couple IIs or IIIs mixed in there. I need to find someone with some Mark II or III shoulders to trade a couple of my IVs with, lol.

gallery_92768_11638_20641.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_399.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_19045.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Put together a couple more guys with some of the FW bits. I'm not super happy with the way the FW bits turned out. The torsos didn't take to the drybrushing as well as the mk4 torsos and the shoulder pads/arm placements seem a little off also so they look a little funky. Still need to do the decals and blood spatter.

gallery_92768_11638_2157.jpg

I'm feeling your same frustrations putting together Word Bearers with the FW accessories. 

At a table top distance under paint, you'd never notice, but the resin bits are just different enough to irritate. The FW World Eaters torso especially just look too darn cool to leave out though!

Anywho, keep up the awesome work.

I'm feeling your same frustrations putting together Word Bearers with the FW accessories. 

At a table top distance under paint, you'd never notice, but the resin bits are just different enough to irritate. The FW World Eaters torso especially just look too darn cool to leave out though!

Anywho, keep up the awesome work.

I absolutely love the WE torso with the teeth in it and i bought two packs of them just so i could use those for the tactical sargents.  I am glad, though, that i didnt go whole hog and get enough heads and torsos to do the whole box.

• 3 weeks later...

Super quick update on the legion...started in on the next 4 tacs the contemptor...

gallery_92768_11638_78045.jpg

The brown on the contemptor will be i gold. I find that an undercoat of brown on top of the white spray makes the gold cover a little more nicely. I am not sure what to do with the scroll work on the chest. I had originally planned on doing a bone/parchment type color but i actually really like how it looks in white, just not sure if it will pop enough since the rest of the dread is white.

Like others have said the white looks amazing and seems so easy to do. Will be following this eagerly, looking forward to more updates

Thanks!

The white is pretty simple though it took a bit of practice for me to get the washing and dry brushing techniques down.

Have to make sure the wash goes on evenly since it basically forms the base coat color by tinting the white spray. If I get it pooled in the wrong place or applied too heavily then it leads to some wonky coloration. I think I finally hit my stride with the contemptor so i'm looking forward to the next set of troops and the leviathan that just came in the mail.

last 4 members of the first squad! Not quite done, still need the bolters, decals, and final highlights. I like the way the vexilla turned out, i had gone back and forth on which colors to use and am glad i went with red for the cloth instead of white or blue.

gallery_92768_11638_7588.jpg

First tactical squad is done! Also, finished up the contemptor with some decals. I ended up getting a bottle testor's dulcote in brush on form so i could just hit the decals to knock the gloss off, works like charm.

Next up will be a leviathan, then another tac squad, then Khârn, then another tac squad...

Family pics!

gallery_92768_11638_10643.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_54368.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_36611.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_44456.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_16330.jpg

Archived