Kakophoni of Excess : History of the XXIIIrd Company

Obscura

gallery_38135_11679_331760.jpg

Praetor Croix of the 23rd Kakophoni Company - The World’s Equilibrium - The Key to Our Endurance - Apotheosis of the Vague

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Give life a specific goal and it immediately loses its attraction. The inexactitude of its ends makes life superior to death; one touch of precision would degrade it to the triviality of the tombs." - Primus Medicae Mehtevas of the IIIrd Legion Astartes ( Excommunicate Traitoris )

+ + + Accessing Aetherflux - Mysteries of the Warp : Cerebral documentation by Inquisitor Reno Cycera : Ordo Malleus ( Deceased ) + + +

+ + + Eyes Only + + +

“It’s a pity that we found you like this, drifting in the aether, rendered into nothing more but sentient meat clinging to life, I will remake you, parts and reagents willing to send you back from whence you came, oh the stories you’ll tell them my little Inquisitor. . .”

"Mehtevas is the name I go by, for clarifications sake, I would be considered a Primus Medicae, this title should be sufficient enough for you to draw a parallel if you're well versed beyond the empire's ignorance, though I understand that the Legions have been minimized, scattered and perpetuated by thin bloods that cling to a 'Codex' that would have been the mockery of all others in some form. . . though it would be a lie to say that those in the Eye are unified, we're just as broken and petty as the squabblers upon Terra. I found you a new arm.”

“. . .A schism of the heart, you wish for death, for in death duty ends, but then where would your precious Imperium be if you were to be so selfish. Rekindle their ignorance with our existence, of the stories whispered in the darkness of your chamber while we glide through the Eye, a gamut of the void to bring you home. Hush, be at rest, you’ll get your tongue back when we’re closer.”

“I’ve awakened you from a narcotic induced coma, a concoction of my own devising. Admittedly, It was a diluted portion of what I normally give my other patients, we wouldn't want that heart of yours to explode. I’ve kept you submerged in a rejuvenate vat to regrow large swathes of your flesh, you’ll be sensitive to light, easy to bruise and if you’re not careful your skin can come off, are you familiar with degloving? Terrible pain or so I’ve heard, therefore your usual flailing against your bonds would be ill advised. Oh, your toes have webbed together in the process, how inconvenient. Medicae Servitor, bring me my scalpel. . .”

“This one is under my care, do no harm and begone from my sight. Now where were we? Oh yes, do know harm. Though first, let me tell you a story. . .”

+ + + Thought for the Day: An Empty Mind Is A Loyal Mind + + +

+ + + Access rescinded + + +

"There are no arguments. Can anyone who has reached the limit bother with arguments, causes, effects, moral considerations, and so forth? Of course not. For such a person there are only unmotivated motives for living. On the heights of despair, the passion for the absurd is the only thing that can still throw a demonic light on chaos. When all the current reasons - moral, esthetic, religious, social, and so on - no longer guide one's life, how can one sustain life without succumbing to nothingness? Only by a connection with the absurd, by love of absolute uselessness, loving something which does not have substance but which simulates an illusion of life. I live because the mountains do not laugh and the worms do not sing."

Excerpt taken from Symphony of the Kakophoni, restricted text published in the years preceding the Siege.

Olivia Kampfa - Remembrancer

+ + + Accessing Symphony of the Kakophoni : Auto Quill documentation by Olivia Kampfa : Remembrancer ( Deceased ) + + +

+ + + Eyes Only + + +

gallery_38135_11679_301557.jpg

Chora Nico Karavanos, of the Kakophoni.

Modifications to Mark IV Maximus Power Armor, note extensive facial reconstructive surgery, Nasal cavity, Pharynx and Larynx removed and replaced with re-breather apparatus and sonic modulating amplifier. Further inquiry for such modifications with Emperor's Children Apothecaries was met with silence.

gallery_38135_11679_117923.jpg

The Cacophony - Experimental projectile weaponry that is crafted and modified to suit the Kakophoni Chora's needs and requirements.

+ + + Thought for the Day: Success is measured in blood; yours or your enemy's. + + +

+ + + Accessing Aetherflux - Mysteries of the Warp : Cerebral documentation by Inquisitor Reno Cycera : Ordo Malleus ( Deceased ) + + +

“Please excuse the mess, the servitors are rather lackluster in their pursuits for cleanliness given the recent relocation, modifications will need to be. . . why am I even telling you this? I will have to update that cerebral recorder of yours, this will hurt.”

"Chirugeon, we require your assistance, stop playing with your new toy."

"I was about to put in the eyes, this better be important."

"We have survivors from Harmony that have pledged loyalty to us, they are of a different nature and require medical attention."

"Be still, I will augment and calibrate your cerebral recorder in due time. Now sleep, the next time you awake you'll have a pair of beautiful blue eyes."

+ + + Thought for the Day: A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy. + + +

@Dallo, I hope this little experiment of mine is at least partially interesting.

Welcome folks to this weird thing that I will hopefully update on a daily basis with either fluff, sketches or WIP images of the 23rd Kakophoni. I really have no set idea as to where I'm going with this as I was gifted a ton of Emperor's Children pieces, Contemptors and Kakophoni from a good friend who wanted a new start in the hobby. I've had a love hate relationship with the Emperor's Children for as long as I remember, they were among the first two armies that I collected back in 1994, the other being Blood Angels. Throughout the years I've bought, sold, given away bits and pieces of all my armies until I kept only two in storage because I was getting out of the hobby.

I played my first game of 7th edition last year, had a few more after that and promptly stopped due to work and other "social requirements". Though now I've found a spot of free time that seems to be fairly stable and with my friend handing me a ten gallon tote of Emperor's Children, I figured I might as well as go all out and make a centerpiece army that would be centered around fluff, there's no point in making a competitive army list as I rarely get to play, I might as well as build something that'll look neat in the display case.

Here's a tease as to what I'm currently working on.

gallery_38135_11679_393512.jpeg

That's Huron Blackheart's body, isn't it? Looking good. Good luck with daily updates, I struggle with even monthly updates.

Any plans to convert/scratch build Kakophoni guns? I'm planning on scratch building twenty Kakophoni, so any inspiration would be awesome.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

@Lord Commander Eidolon: Thank you. I do enjoy the esthetic of the Kakophoni weaponry, but I also have a soft spot for the 40k versions as well. My buddy passed on over 30 pairs of them to me, so I'm going to be able to use both in the force that I'm making.

@Brother Dallo: You're correct, that's his body. As for the Kakophoni weaponry, I do plan on scratch building/converting a few. I have ten pairs of the FW variant, I plan to use the plastic Heavy Bolter supplied in the standard Chaos Space Marine box as the base, along with extensive use of putty, guitar string and polystyrene tubing. I'm in the dry fitting/swearing stage of making them at the moment.

I'm going to need all the help I can with daily updates, it's going to be an interesting endeavor, but I will hopefully have a nifty army to show for it.

@Halandaar: Definitely, I have a ton of those heads floating around, I think the majority of the bare headed models will be given a mask.

Sounds like a plan. I have one that combines a grey knight heavy weapon and a skeleton musician's horn. Feel free to check it out in my plog. *shameless plug* Should be the last post on page 2.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/314280-the-sins-of-the-father-are-to-be-laid-upon-his-children/page-2

Like I said, good luck with the daily updates. I'm more than happy to lend a spot of encouragement and critique.

I'm also looking at the plastic heavy Bolter from Calth as a possible basis for the gun. Speaking of which, what are their guns actually called? I haven't got the red books yet.

Dallo

@Dallo, The Cacophony is the weapon name.

I want to try to keep it as faithful to the original sculpts, mostly to keep the appearance more or less uniform. I'm still in the process of dry fitting and absently staring at a pile of parts to see if something comes to me. I'm still set on the plastic CSM Heavy Bolter ( I have ten still on sprue ) that's been heavily stripped of detail along with removing the barrel and changing the position of the supporting hand. Outside of that I'm trying to keep the modifications down to something that's easily replicable with the help of polystyrene, guitar string and perhaps some press molding.

The plastic Heavy Bolter from the Betrayal at Calth set could be interesting, if I had any, I'd definitely try to fiddle around with one to see if I could turn the concept into reality, but I'm sadly on a set budget and can't afford to buy anything new for the foreseeable future.

I just checked out your thread, nice score with Fulgrim. I like what you've done with him so far. I may have to loot that Sanguinary wing Breacher shield idea.

Thanks man. Loot away, I borrowed the idea from somewhere anyway. The curvature of the wing makes the posing a bit awkward, so I've shelved that idea for the time being. I'll have to get back to work on Fulgrim though.

Dallo

"I don't need any support, advice, or compassion, because even if I am the most ruinous man, I still feel so powerful, so strong and fierce. For I am one amongst many that live without hope."

Chora Darvo Krona, of the Kakophoni. - Emperor's Children ( Status Unknown )

+ + + Accessing Symphony of the Kakophoni : Auto Quill documentation by Olivia Kampfa : Remembrancer ( Deceased ) + + +

+ + + Eyes Only + + +

gallery_38135_11679_598322.jpg

+ + + Thought for the Day: Reason begets doubt; Doubt begets heresy. + + +

@Dallo, Good to know. I'll fiddle around with the idea and see where I can take it. You should definitely get back to finishing Fulgrim.

On the bright side, I was able to finish the preliminary model. I still have to base and remove all those little mold lines that I missed ( thank you macro photography for showing all the details I missed ) plus I have to hit the mini with a burst of compressed air to get rid of the dust that's landed on it. Hells, I may scrub the model down because there's some FW bits on it and I can never be to sure on if I scrubbed off all of the removal reagent from the surface.

So far so good on the update a day. . .

"Nostalgia, more than anything, gives us the shudder of our own imperfection."

+ + + Eyes Only + + +

gallery_38135_11679_275801.jpg

gallery_38135_11679_428519.jpg

Chora Toma Ovo, of the Kakophoni. - Emperor's Children ( Status Unknown )

+ + + Thought for the Day: All souls cry out for salvation. + + +

@hushrong, you and me both! I have no idea what I'm doing. biggrin.png

The weather has been complete piss lately, I tried to do a quick spray and pray palette test on some scrap polystyrene sheeting, but the mixture didn't mesh well, so I'm stuck until the weather improves. On the bright side, it means I'm able to push forward with building the army, the miniatures in the background show proof of that, though admittedly the delay in painting does allow me to figure out individual and army wide fluff.

"A heart without music is like beauty without melancholy."

Chora Toma Ovo, of the Kakophoni. - Emperor's Children ( Status Unknown )

+ + + Eyes Only + + +

gallery_38135_11679_283281.jpg

+ + + Thought for the Day: Seek honor as you act, and you will know no fear. + + +

@Dallo, As much as I'd love to embrace the idea of "Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll" with Emperor's Children, I tend to see their fluff as the perpetual pursuit of perfection in all areas of interest, in warfare it would be precise application of force and technique, the economy of motion no matter the foe. Though naturally, there's still the "human" element bound within the physical application of being an Astartes, a modified "human". I plan to replace the Icons of Excess with Apothecaries as the Legion had an abnormally high amount of them to maintain the "purity" of their geneseed, plus it makes sense that they would have those numbers to better facilitate each members transition into a better warrior through surgery and modification to suit their own needs.

I am tempted to use all Pantheons in the Emperor's Children, but to represent Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch, I would display them as a "Counts-as" to better represent the various pursuits of individual Emperor's Children. For instance, Khorne Berserkers would be Emperor's Children who have embraced close quarters combat, so on and so forth, hopefully that makes sense, I'm kind of working on a few hours of sleep at the moment. :D

As for the quotes, they're modified from Cioran ( Romanian expatriate who lived in France ) to better fit the 30/40k universe, plus the "Thought of the Day" is naturally taken from a huge pile of Codexes I've got laying on a work bench nearby.

This is all looking so killer. I'm a sucker for Slannesh based stuff, especially Noise Marines, and I bought a lot of third-party bits ages ago and then forgot about them. You're making me want to go find that box and get stuck in. Excited to see the painting.

First off, killer thread! love the kakophoni and the writing pieces you've tied into the models to create the theme.

one little suggestion on aesthetics on this latest guy with the cool blank face-mask:

I feel like he needs pipes or something wrapping around his neck or feeding from the base of his chin into the armor somewhere... or something.... At least, as i see it the noise based weapons should be wired directly into their user, correct? so what if you made some tubes and cables snaking their way out of the marines' face/neck area that wired to the power armor or all the way down to the gun??

just an idea for consideration. Totally up to you though. msn-wink.gif

Keep up the great work! happy.png

"To tell the truth, I could care less about the relativity of knowledge, simply because humanity doesn't deserve to know what I know."

Chora Tobias Syma, of the Kakophoni. - Emperor's Children ( Status Unknown )

+ + + Eyes Only + + +

gallery_38135_11679_20241.jpg

+ + + Thought for the Day: Be Pure. + + +

@kobrakei, You should definitely dig those bits out and have a go at it. I'm having fun and like I've said before, I have no bloody idea what I'm doing when I slap bits together. Hell, Tobias still needs more work before he's perfect.

@Argent aquila, Thank you, I appreciate that.

I'm fiddling around with a few wire ideas, mechanized dreadlocks on par with what Angron has was an idea, but I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to put theory into practice. I'm going to fiddle around more and see what happens and since the weather is still poor where I live, I'll be revisiting and adding more fluff to each character.

I do not know why but I am never big on using 3rd party bits personally. However, the aesthetics of those helms are very fitting.

As for the Kakophoni with the mask, perhaps just some straps to secure it to his head? Something like Zardu Layak who has on a wicked mask too. For myself I want to do something similar with Harlequin masks. I planned on using a mask like Zardu on my sorcerer for various fluff reasons but now I am thinking it will happen to one of my noise marines.

@hushrong, I can understand that, some of the pieces I've seen out there don't appeal to me as well, admittedly the helms were also included in the ten gallon tote I got from my friend, so I figured I would use them and they surprisingly fit after a lot of test fitting.

The Zardu mask idea is appealing and I may go that route.

I'll be able to figure more of that out once I have my moment of Zen ( two cups of coffee ) at work.

"Heroes abound at the dawn of civilizations, during the epochs, when people, not having yet experienced spiritual torture, satisfy their thirst for renunciation through a derivative: heroism." - Primus Medicae Mehtevas of the IIIrd Legion Astartes ( Excommunicate Traitoris )

+ + + Eyes Only + + +

He seemed more thoughtful than apologetic as his tools delve into darkened recesses once covered by armor, now revealed through acts of violence, the pitted and burnt wound were the hallmarks of plasma, "Old habits die hard?" The Medicae who had spoken to me in my more lucid moments, the one who had revealed himself as Mehtevas spoke to the metal behemoth iron clad in ancient Contemptor.

A heavy clunk and hiss of escaping vapor could have mistaken for a sigh, "I grow tired of your games Mehtevas, do what needs to be done so that I may submit this form for further repairs."

"Ancient Relivas, still cantankerous I see. . ."

"I died. Change is beyond me."

The silence between them was broken by Mehtevas's smile as a quick spark came and went from the inner shell of the Contemptor, Ancient Relivas seemed more alive then as the emerald lenses of his helm glowed with a sickly illumination for but a moment, "There we go. . ."

gallery_38135_11679_644168.jpg

Ancient Relivas of the Emperor's Children

+ + + Thought for the Day: In Ignorance, bliss. + + +

Decided to build something else, nothing special thus far, just a base layer for a Contemptor, magnetized the right arm so I can switch out the weapon systems since I own a few different options. I have a few ideas as to how I'm going to decorate the body, but nothing solid yet.

"There are no solutions, only cowardice masquerading as such." - Primus Medicae Mehtevas of the IIIrd Legion Astartes ( Excommunicate Traitoris )

Ancient Relivas, once known as Elija Volkar, his existence explained to me by Mehtevas, I have only ever seen such iron clad forms in the hallowed texts of my order, data slates revealed grainy images that paled in comparison to the majesty that stood before me, taller and broader than an Astartes. "Ancient Tokaro."

I heard and felt the heavy tread long before another Contemptor would reveal itself as it strode into the room, the floor beneath its feet gave way as pitted craters were left in its wake. "Curiosity has brought me here." It points at me with contemptuous ease. "Unmodified humans are so tiny."

It approaches while its rotary cannon rotates, a nervous tick or a teasing gesture, it's hard to know as Ancient Relivas stands by. The other Ancient is upon me and leans in close, it's emerald eye lens bound within its armored helm reflect my disheveled features, "How's your day so far?"

gallery_38135_11679_254420.jpg

Ancient Tokaro of the Emperor's Children

+ + + Thought for the Day: My armor is Contempt. + + +

@Argent aquila, I'm definitely going to make a custom noise cannon for both Contemptors, hushrong has a nifty looking Cacophony stand in that I was thinking of modifying as a nice stand in, perhaps use the stats of a Blastmaster or as the Cacophony. Either way it depends on if my opponent ( on the far fetched chance I get the time to play ) will allow it.

I still have to pick up PVA glue and finally fill in the blank spaces of the base and to top it all off, the weather still sucks.

Appreciate it. I think I'm going to use a series of leather straps to secure the mask, I just have to figure out a way to sculpt a set of buckles.

"A minimum of unconsciousness is necessary if one wants to stay inside history. To act is one thing; to know one is acting is another. When lucidity invests the action, insinuates itself into it, action is undone, and with it, prejudice, whose function consists, precisely, in subordinating, in enslaving consciousness to action. The man who unmasks his fictions renounces his own resources and, in a sense, himself. Consequently, he will accept other fictions which will deny him, since they will not have cropped up from his own depths. No man concerned with his equilibrium may exceed a certain degree of lucidity and analysis."

Excerpt taken from Symphony of the Kakophoni, restricted text published in the years preceding the Siege.

Olivia Kampfa - Remembrancer

+ + + Eyes Only + + +

Hundreds of them stood with a stillness only known by the dead, the only movement that heralded any sense of life came from the tapestry banners that proclaimed each Squads notable victories. Given my status as a Remembrancer, I have the distinct honor of following the Emperor's Children, cataloging their pursuits, interests and victories. Though as the days faded into months and years one could see a slow integration of outside influences meant to bolster their martial prowess, a company wide acceptance resulted in a force multiplier that more than made up for the smaller numbers of active Astartes within the 23rd Company.

The Apothecarion took its place, moving among their charges, paying special attention to those modified with the "Sonic Shriekers" and synchronized "Sonic" weaponry that the majority of the 23rd were now embracing, ranging from the Cacophony to Sonic Blasters and Blastmasters, each a unique weapon held and maintained by the Emperor's Children Astartes and his attending cadre of specially trained attendants.

Though many are also wearing trophies of past victories, scrimshawed bones taken from fallen foes and a few wear the flayed faces of their enemies upon their armor or sown together upon long flowing cloaks. I am admittedly uncomfortable around such things, but Astartes combat doctrine is beyond my purview.

gallery_38135_11679_773862.jpg

Chora Jakobi Quinn, of the Kakophoni. - Emperor's Children ( Status Unknown )

+ + + Thought for the Day: My weapon is Fury, unbound. + + +

Oh man, posting every day in this blog/showing progress is turning into work, but I'll be damned if I can't square this project away. As it stands, I'm going to have in no particular order thirty Noise Marines, ten Kakophoni, twenty Tacticals, two Apothecaries, one Praetor, one Techmarine, six Terminators, two Contemptor Dreadnoughts, four Rhinos, one Land Raider, two Chaos Spawn, one Daemon Prince, six Obliterators and forty Cultists.

I haven't even counted the other stuff that my buddy left me in the storage tote, I've got a lot of Emperor's Children to build. On the bright side, the money I've allocated for this project is going straight to painting supplies, now all I need is for the weather to be compliant long enough so I can add a base layer of paint. I really want to paint my plastic armored dude mans.

Looking good man. I hear you on the regular update thing. My advice is don't let it turn into work. It's a hobby, not a chore. Skip a few days and do something else if you are feeling burnt out. Otherwise you might fall away from this project quite quickly.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Archived