Duty & Honour: A Ist Legion Log - Veterans in Progress

Jerichus

Hi there B&C! This is my first thread on this forum after lurking for quite awhile(and my first post! What an overachiever I am msn-wink.gif)

I decided to start this thread for a couple of reasons. First(Hah!), I wanted to get a kick in the pants to paint more (I'm the kinda guy who can't let something remain undone when I've started it, but it takes a lot of willpower to start...). Secondly, I'd love to bounce ideas and advice off of you lovely folks and folkettes (Love you guys, nicest 40k forum by far). Thirdly, There just ain't many Dark Angels members in this here subforum(shout out to Depthcharge12 among the others) and I hope to get more Primus Legio activity around here(And if elected...)

Before the nice pictures, a little about me (Spoiler; It sadly doesn't involve long walks on the beach)

I recently returned from a years-long hiatus from the hobby(left just as the first Forgeworld Heresy stuff was showing up) and, having been a long-time fan of the horus heresy setting(Yesterday marked the twentieth time I've reread Savage Weapons), I resolved to start a (pre-)heresy army of my longtime sweethearts, the Dark Angels!

I got myself a Betrayal at Calth set, went to the forgeworld website, and started my journey; both to bankruptcy and to starting the army.

Anywho, onto the pretty(hopefully) pictures.

First up to bat is the test model for my paint scheme; Consul-Chaplain Morr.

med_gallery_92924_11820_496911.jpg

and seen here, taking aim with his trusty plasma pistol (that's what I call irony)

med_gallery_92924_11820_108191.jpg

But that's not all folks! I have a double feature for you today.

Presenting Elder Gardain, an esteemed dreadnought veteran of Terra,

med_gallery_92924_11820_18553.jpg

A close up of his Melta weapon

med_gallery_92924_11820_445304.jpg

and finally a rear shot

med_gallery_92924_11820_113874.jpg

I hope you enjoyed (and there's more where that came from, I say!). I heartily look forward to your guys' critiques and/or advice.

And, as the pig said: that's all folks! hope you enjoyed, I'm working hard to try to get a follow-up with some other duders painted by tomorrow.

Welcome to the forums, brother. Nice work on the multi-melta barrels. :tu:

I think you may need to tidy up the area around eyes but I like that you're diving in with the weathering. ;)

Welcome to the forums, brother. Nice work on the multi-melta barrels. thumbsup.gif

I think you may need to tidy up the area around eyes but I like that you're diving in with the weathering. msn-wink.gif

Hey, nice to be here thumbsup.gif

On the dudes I was trying to go for a lighting effect(totally not because I'm lazy...), I'll try and get them touched up to be more evident by tomorrow's update!

Geez guys; thanks for all the feedback(and the warm welcomebiggrin.png) ! I'm putting the finishing touches on the stuff for today's update, can't wait to get your guys' opinion on it.

@Kizzdougs: Thanks! I tried to effect a kind of heat damage... effect, similar to the one on this site: http://battlebunnies.blogspot.com/, albeit on a much, much smaller scale. (A drill is one of the things I do not currently have, but it's forthcoming and I'll be sure to remedy the barrel situation when it arrives! thumbsup.gif)

@GrandMagnus: That's the effect I was going for. I'm not a huge fan of the factory-pressed 'eavy metal look; plus, black looks so good with weathering! (though not as much as yellow, darn Imperial Fists msn-wink.gif ). Dark Angels have been duking it out with the eastern fringe and harried for pretty much the entirety of the Heresy, they don't get to be clean!

@Brother Pheidias, Depthcharge12, Kurama: Thanks, all thumbsup.gif. I'll try to live up to the other wonderful threads on the subforum!

Update! Time for pinata hats and party bats! Wait... I think I got those backwards.

Anyhow, I worked on the Sergeant and Vexilla for the first tactical squad; Squad Londresor.

Sadly I'm still awaiting their bases(I'm using some Secret Weapon Miniatures bases, they look phenomenal!) So please ignore my meaty hands getting in the way here

Sergeant Londresor himself, who was among the knights on Caliban which charged the den of the Knights of Lupus before the great crusade reached Caliban.

As a recruit from Caliban. Londresor kept his personal heraldry; which he now portrays on his right shoulder pad instead of an unwieldy banner msn-wink.gif

There's also some checkering going on onto his knee and arm pad(there's some on the Contemptor as well); I'm contemplating whether I should do this for the whole squad or just the important dudes(Sorry Brother-Marine #12)

med_gallery_92924_11820_98561.jpg

I also tried out a glow effect on the Calibanite Warblade. I'm likely going to stick with green as it adds more color to the model and I'm saving blues for Force weapons (might or might not be a teaser of things to come msn-wink.gif ...)

med_gallery_92924_11820_389631.jpg

Now onto the Legion Vexilla; Let's call him... Bricius

med_gallery_92924_11820_79058.jpg

Bricius is such a badass biggrin.png

med_gallery_92924_11820_146092.jpg

Closeup on his Calibanite shoulder pad; all of my tacticals have the extra combat blades to make use of that sweet, sweet Mastery of the Blade goodness cool.png

You may note these guys don't have all their Mud And Grimetm on yet. That's because I like to add it to their bases at the same time and, as said before, the bases haven't arrived yet.

Anyways that's it for now; in the future look forward to many terminator models and maybe even a model not included in the B@C Kit! (A man can dream...)

Thanks Brothers for the support! I appreciate it.

Anyway; I was hoping to have the Cataphractii Set ready by today; as it stands they're likely to be finished Saturday or sosad.png .

I won't leave you empty handed for now, however.

As the sole survivor of his company after an assault during the Rangdan Xenocides, this veteran was transferred to the newly christened 9th Order. When asked of the event which almost destroyed the nascent Imperium, He only grunts and goes back to inspecting whatever tactical sundry he's busied himself with.

It's said he's a telepath who only makes people think he's talking; and that all he drinks is Mars-inspected motor oil. Some people think he painted his black carapace in a polka dot pattern. All we know is, he's our Centurion!

Deprived of his terminator bodyguard(for now!), I present Centurion Abrechael of the Lost Company.

(The Cheese is here folks!)

med_gallery_92924_11820_159312.jpg

Just because you're slaughtering Xenos doesn't mean you can't bling it up msn-wink.gif

med_gallery_92924_11820_333799.jpg

A Warrior of immense power, Centurion Abrechael holds ready his Terranic Greatsword confidently as he awaits combat

med_gallery_92924_11820_499242.jpg

A closeup on his checker patterned right greave

med_gallery_92924_11820_389179.jpg

That's all for today fellas! I promise you I'll get those termis done by this weekend; and then all the galaxy shall fear my 40mm wrath! Muhahaha!

Peace Out cool.png

As promised; the weekend update! This is a big one, so expects lotsa pictures!

I've finally gotten those termies done and can't wait to show them off; So here's Squad Antharios!

med_gallery_92924_11820_433970.jpg

-The Squad often accompanies the leaders of the strike force for their protection; but, when released on their own, they wreak havoc among the enemy lines.

med_gallery_92924_11820_315766.jpg

-Brother Israfael, who keeps enemies from flanking the team with his combi-plas or power fist.

med_gallery_92924_11820_166350.jpg

-Brother Jakov, who hefts a wayshrine from Caliban upon his back as he tears into enemies with his chainfist.

med_gallery_92924_11820_209135.jpg

-Brother Malachai, Gene-twins with Brother Israfael, Malachai protects his kin's back as he opens up with his plasma blaster.(Brother Gervais getting into the photograph as usualtongue.png )

med_gallery_92924_11820_212122.jpg

-Brother Gervais; wolverine-ing it up with his activated lighting claws; daring the traitors to approach.

med_gallery_92924_11820_418462.jpg

-Legionary Primaris Brother Antharios; leading his way into battle with his Calibanite Warblade

med_gallery_92924_11820_371509.jpg

-closeup of icon and checkers

And if that wasn't enough, I also did an extra bit for everybody!

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

After the Lion reinstated the Librarius; many psykers in the Ist legion were allowed once again to use their powers in assistance of their battle brothers. None was more pleased by this news than revered Alistaire of the Temple. One of the foremost Dark Angels Librarians; Alistaire held the sacred rank of The Keeper of the Archives. It was his job to preserve the annals of the legion so that the future legionaries might know of their honor.

med_gallery_92924_11820_526793.jpg

Alistaire remembers himself much of the writings kept within his domain, for he is one of the few who lived through the darkness that almost consumed the galaxy; some even say he was present when the very first companies of space marines set forth from beloved Terra. Regardless; after the Edict at Nikea, Alistaire, no longer able to invigorate his ancient body to combat ability using his psychic might, retired to the archives aboard The Invincible Reason fully immerse himself in his trusted charge.

med_gallery_92924_11820_483817.jpg

When the warp-born abominations assaulted the flagship; Alistaire found himself holding his library as a bunker with the few servitors and aspirants who survived the initial assault. Alistaire utilized his eldritch powers to smite the beasts, resolving himself to death in punishment in order to save the aspirants. However, as the beasts vanished back into the immaterium the archives had already been damaged beyond repair, the records of many of the Primus Legio's campaigns erased.

Alistaire was suprised to hear the Primarch had decided to disregard the Edict of Nikea, but in punishment for his failure to prevent the partial destruction of the archives and his unsanctioned use of psychic power, Alistaire was transferred to the IXth Order. Now, Alistair uses his vast experience and eldritch might to strike down his foes with relish; although some of the neophytes within the Order suspect he might be blurring the line between acceptable psychic powers and foul sorcery...

med_gallery_92924_11820_226475.jpg

That's it folks! I would like to ask you all whether you'd prefer me to show you the finished models only, as I have been doing, or if you'd rather get a couple shots of the WIP stuff as well?

anyways, I hope you all enjoyed!

Jerichus out

Thanks Luna! I'm still trying to get a handle on the checks, maybe i'll do something bigger next to get a better hang of it?

I think they're great, only issue is the slightly dark pictures... Do you plot out a grid for the checks and fill out every other square? I always found that to be the easiest way of doing them. Oh, and grunge them up afterwards, it makes it harder to spot any mistakes ;)

Don't reveal my secrets! ph34r.png

I do in fact plot out a grid. There's a couple awesome guides on the youtubs which can show anyone how easy it is to do with a micro-art pen. You'll end up messing up a lot but the washes will help make the lines clearer(it also helps to do one light and one dark color so they contrast)

My house makes it hard for me to get decent lighting for my pictures, I'm currently thinking of building a little picture box out of cardboard, so hopefully that will help with the lighting issues.

Time to(hopefully) light up your Monday, in both the metaphorical and figurative sense!

I took the very helpful Brother Pheidias' advice and my pictures will hopefully be better lit from herein.

Anyhow without further ado, let's dig in!

First up, some more pictures of Alistaire (I thought his previous pics were a bit dark)

med_gallery_92924_11820_357408.jpg

-For such an old dude, he sure is climbing a bunch of rocks!

med_gallery_92924_11820_385539.jpg

-Closeup on the force sword and the right shoulder pad; as I mentioned before I'm using blues for force weapons to distinguish them from the normal power weapons.

med_gallery_92924_11820_289329.jpg

-man is he blinged out the wazoo

and now, let's enter the Perimeter of Imminent Peril with my all new, totally not converted Jetbike Praetor: Corraídh

med_gallery_92924_11820_296967.jpg

-In the aftermath of the arrival of the Emperor's light, much of what lead up to it on Caliban became pale in comparison with His glory.

med_gallery_92924_11820_296557.jpg

- Corraídh was a young knight within the order at that time, considered a stripling by his elders. However, he knew that he could become the greatest of beast hunters. He trained every second, striving in order to be of equal skill to the Supreme Grand Master.

med_gallery_92924_11820_83123.jpg

-He dueled with the other knights every day; and volunteered for every hunt, striving for martial excellence with a zeal that might have impressed the warriors of the IIIrd legion. By the time of the Emperor's arrival, Corraídh had slain a dozen beasts of the forest.

med_gallery_92924_11820_103109.jpg

-Noticed for his drive; Corraídh was chosen to join the ranks of the Astartes. He entered the Emperor's service with the same zeal that he had The Order, quickly rising the ranks due to his proficiency in combat and tactics; running his enemies down like he had the wildlife on Caliban.

med_gallery_92924_11820_105749.jpg

-Now, Corraídh leads the Ravenwing detachment of the IXth Order; his Paragon Blade singing as he cuts through the enemy lines. However, the fervor he feels during battle and his unending lust for combat sometimes makes him worry that he might not be too dissimilar to his traitorous brethren; a thought Corraídh quickly dispels as he heads back towards the practice deck...

I tried out some new techniques with the praetor; hope you all enjoy!

Also, let me know if the fluff accompaniment jives with you or not. I want to make sure everybody gets what they came for; so let me know if the cooky stories I think up for my duders isn't included in that!

Merci Beaucoup! 

I'm always astounded by how good the model has kept up for being, what? 6-8 years old now?

My main worry is that he'll be super tiny in comparison to the Scimitars; but at least he'll be distinguishable!

I'd like to welcome you all to the Late Night Update, with me; your dashing(hah!) host.

Here's some picts of Indomitus Leo, the first tank painted for my Ist Legion!

med_gallery_92924_11820_87773.jpg

-Your such a tease, you wanted us to see you without your turret; didn't you!?

med_gallery_92924_11820_319060.jpg

-Seen here being extensively bad-as-feth. Now that's what I call some Dust of Untold Worlds; amiright?

I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.

med_gallery_92924_11820_392138.jpg

med_gallery_92924_11820_96650.jpg

med_gallery_92924_11820_68879.jpg

Holy Carp; I'm getting to the point where my painted stuff is starting to resemble a coherent force of some kind; What's wrong with me?

Anyways; catch you guys later!

Archived