Duty & Honour: A Ist Legion Log - Veterans in Progress

Jerichus

Patience; the checks will be for the eventual second Sicaran(There is always a method to my madness! Except when there isn't).

I also felt like this guy had enough going on what with his DA Icon and little shrines.(although I bet checks would look great on that flat surface with some weathering...)

Thanks! I wanted to give off a battle-hardened sort of effect.

The Ist legion is up there in the list of legions who conquered the most(although I'd say less than the SoH & UM and about equal to the WB & SW) and I wanted to showcase that with all the weathering and dust. Also, they have a ton of older stuff thanks to being the original Great Crusade posterboys, so some weathering makes sense; It's old, so it's bound to have some wear-and-tear! 

or, y'know, cause clean black armor is a bit boring in my opinion(and Raven Guard rock that look better than us)

Hey folks! I don't quite have anything painted for you all today; so I though I'd go a bit off of my normal routine and show you some stuff that's WIP

Namely; the start of my second terminator Squad; Squad Frank(Name Pending)

med_gallery_92924_11820_523009.jpg

-here they are in all their bare resin glory(Oh great; brother Greg has had a bit too much amasec again). You may notice some of them don't have arms; that's because I am still awaiting their glorious CHOOM(I swear I'll join the MDRC someday...)

med_gallery_92924_11820_298406.jpg

-Closeup on the Daemon head(thanks GK Kit!). Fluffwise; Dark Angels seem to have more experience with fighting Daemonic enemies and I wanted to showcase it here. (Although strong arguement goes to the BA too because of that whole Ka'bandha thing.)

med_gallery_92924_11820_142327.jpg

-Better picture for the shield. I love adding little bits to my elite units to make them more unique; And, since I thought the Tartaros armor looks more medeival than the Pteurges-laden Cataphractii, I wanted to theme these guys as former knights from Caliban

Alan Bligh, if you're listening, all I want for the DA is for us to have a unique unit of old-fashioned sword-and-board Knights wearing calibanite power armor. Then I may die happy(after buying 30 of them)

Anyhow; back to work to make sure my next update actually has painted models!

Peace

Beautiful models, all of them.

Is Brother Malachai using a genuine plasma blaster or one made from two B@C plasma guns? Is the sword on the Tartaros Terminator Sgt. one from puppetswar?

Beautiful models, all of them.

Is Brother Malachai using a genuine plasma blaster or one made from two B@C plasma guns? Is the sword on the Tartaros Terminator Sgt. one from puppetswar?

Aw shucks, thanks for the support!

I used two B@C Plasmas for the plasma gun on Malachai; I'm thinking I'll continue doing that with the Cataphractii suits and allow the Tartaros to use the genuine article.

The Swords are actually from the Empire Greatswords kit I got for a secret project I'm working on(Super-Secret!). Some great swords(seewhatididthere) and they fit pretty nicely into 40k models.

Update! I was hoping to have more done by today but I'm getting behind on updates as it is!

Anyways; Here's the fruits of my labour(so far): Attack Bike Talon "Raven's Talon"

med_gallery_92924_11820_124131.jpg

-mix of Heavy Bolters & Multi-melta at the moment; eventually I'll have a dedicated squad for each weapon loadout

med_gallery_92924_11820_131324.jpg

-Much of their equipment came from the stores of the Explorator Fleet Phaetus Legatum, which has accompanied the Strikeforce since the Ist Legion intervened when they were ambushed by Alpha Legion raiders while en route to resupply the depleted Raven Guard legion following the Dropsite Massacre. This alliance has allowed the strikeforce a small amount of the prototype MK VI Corvus armor with which they've partially outfitted their mobile troops.(Expect to see a bit of Beakies in this army; although probably just among the bikes and jetbike units)

med_gallery_92924_11820_257529.jpg

-The mobile arm of the strikeforce consists of a majority of the Calibanite recruits with a few hardened Terran veterans. This is likely because the recruit's experience as mounted knights while on Caliban translates well into their prowess atop the numerous bikes and jetbikes of the Ist Legion. Characterized by their white right shoulder pads and altered Dark Angels icons, the Ravenwing detachment of the IXth Strikeforce descends into battle with a speed and ferocity matched only by the Vth Legion.

That's it for today. I apologize for the slightly shoddy camera work as I had to leave in a hurry and took them somewhat quickly; let me know if you want more detailed shots. I will probably be doing a bit of a stint into my Ravenwing-related models at the moment as I'll probably be using that RoW until we get more(plz fw can't wait for more -Wings)

Next up on the painting table: my 1st Outrider Squad (they may look familiar to people familiar with the 40k Ravenwing...)

Let me know if you'd rather see them bit by bit or all at once!

Have a heresy-free day everyone! biggrin.png

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to let you know that I'm not dead. I've got some bikes, some flying things, and hopefully some bikes on flying things coming up for ya.

For now, I can only show you some more WIP stuff I've got going on.

The First of which is the sergeant of my forthcoming(although a bit far away) assault squad.

med_gallery_92924_11820_227772.jpg

-The as-yet unnamed sergeant in his artificer armor.

Don't worry BA players, only the sarge is gonna have the wings msn-wink.gif .

I also picked something interesting up on the Emperor's Bay; an old RT-era Rhino; currently rocking a nice candy red paint job.

med_gallery_92924_11820_163194.jpg

-Speaking of Blood Angels...

I'll be giving it a nice new coat of black soon, however.

one last thing to end this, admittedly insufficient, update. A sign of what's to come(eventually) accompanied by some fluff to make it interesting biggrin.png .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Remember the deeds of which they used to tell.

med_gallery_92924_11820_20913.png

The dust of a thousand worlds knew our footfall. The mountains and valleys shook with our fury as we brought the Sovereign light of the Emperor to them.

med_gallery_92924_11820_19610.png

Our name rested alongside those of the Golden Warriors as the most favored of our Liege. Our Progenitor, if not as loved as Horus, was the most skilled of all. Brother embraced Brother and the greatest animosity between them was what amounted to a sibling rivalry.

Together we delivered the light of the Imperium to the outmost reaches of the Galaxy where once we stood alone against the darkness. No one will remember those days any more, though, for now the only thought is of Brother fighting Brother, and suspicion is cast like a shadow across this Galaxy we once conquered.

med_gallery_92924_11820_103645.png

So, remember the deeds of which they used to tell; my Brother. Remember the glories of what we built in our youth, for that memory will survive; as the remnant has been destroyed and that glorious empire has become dust.

A lone, dark figure stands in the desert of his own making.

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

That's it! hope you guys enjoyed. Have a great evening biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

The order of great magnitude(for those of us not named Kurama) has arrived, and I have for you yet more WIP stuff!

the first thing I built, and one of the things I was more excited for was the veterans! The Dark Angels specific heads and torsos are just so mind-boggingly sexy that I couldn't resist adding them into the army.

med_gallery_92924_11820_30145.jpg

-I decided to make them more choppy than shooty; both to further utilize the Mastery of the Blade rule and because I wanted my darn space-knights to hit things with their swords!

med_gallery_92924_11820_5551.jpg

-Sarge in all his armoured glory. I gave him a Calibanite Warblade and a Combi-grenade launcher to launch a stasis grenade into the enemy before charging in.

med_gallery_92924_11820_262076.jpg

-My Choom charger special weapon vets. Originally I was thinking of using some HBs for molecular acid ammo; but I figured it'd be a bit wasted on this vet squad. Maybe when I do a second vet squad I'll go for a shootier version to mince power armor 66% of the time cool.png

med_gallery_92924_11820_446980.jpg

-The two duders with Serpentas(although the pic clipped the guy on the left's one). I've also got 5 power weapons in the squad; so they should put the fear of the emperor into power-armoured foes.

I also got a predator, executioner variant to help support the march with either HCB pseudo-artillery or Executioner cannon fire.

med_gallery_92924_11820_270061.jpg

-Seen here awaiting both magnets for the turret and sponsons to be attached. I'm actually unsure as to which sponson to use. Heavy bolters seem somewhat useless given they can't get the ammo of awesome but lascannons are a bit too expensive for my liking. I'm sure I'll get it worked out eventually unsure.png

I also have started work on a MKII plasma support squad. They'll have to be sidelined until I get more plasma courtesy of a second B@C kit; but I did manage to finish the sarge and one guy so here they are.

med_gallery_92924_11820_396726.jpg

-Sarge holding an Augury scanner because I won't have enough plasma guns. I'm pondering converting a nuncio-vox for him as well or would that be overdoing it?

Finally with the arrival of glorious Choom I have finally finished my Tartaros squad(they don't get names 'till they're painted!furious.gif )

med_gallery_92924_11820_29629.jpg

and a closeup of the choom here

med_gallery_92924_11820_188602.jpg

That's it for today! I'm really sorry I still don't have any painted models to show you(two updates running, even!) as my resevoir of paint ran out leaving my outriders unfulfilled and annoyed(two words others seem to associate with me for some reason).

So as I wait for the blessing of paint to arrive I wanted to ask everyone if you'd rather have more consistent updates with whatever I've managed to do, or more sparsely laid-out updates once i've finished a squad or something.

Feel free to let me know what you think of the units(and/or how terribly they've been equipped)!

Have a crusade-tastic night, everyone!

I'm wholly thankful I entered the heresy following that dark time, as I'm deathly afraid of transfers unsure.png

That said, soon i'll have to use them on a couple things I got down the pipeline, and I'm putting all power into the stall-generator for those things.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my paints, and you know what that means....

Update!biggrin.png

I finished off my Legion Drop Pod, which should hopefully be dropping a couple dreads and/or duders into the fray

med_gallery_92924_11820_21740.jpg

-Went with some streaks on the upper parts of the fins to simulate re-entry. I might add some typhus corrosion on top but I'm waffling on whether it'll be too much.

med_gallery_92924_11820_41412.jpg

But, that's not all I did. I also managed to finish off my outrider squad!

med_gallery_92924_11820_36989.jpg

-Squad el'Aldrius reporting.

med_gallery_92924_11820_63319.jpg

-The Sergeant, wielding his Calibanite Warblade. Squad el'Aldrius is made up of some of the various scions of the noble Calibanite houses that still retain a small icon to remember their old knightly background, from the vibrant tree of house Grangeer and the fleur of house Kranigar to the red-black checker of the Ichanastic county and the golden cross of the el'Aldrius.

med_gallery_92924_11820_387627.jpg

-Brothers Robard, Ichanast, and Kranigar, wielding their Plasma Guns as they bear down upon the enemy.

med_gallery_92924_11820_316822.jpg

-Brothers Grangeer, Colyne, and Robard(again).

med_gallery_92924_11820_220088.jpg

-Better shot of brother Colyne. He and Brother Robard were members of The Order before the Emperor's landing, so they decorated their emblems either as a empty field or with the old symbol of The Order, a down-pointed sword.

med_gallery_92924_11820_142604.jpg

-And finally a view from the other side.

That's it for now, I might have something for you guys soon. Sadly not of the painting variety but I think those of you who heed the word of the Sigilite might find it interesting....ph34r.png

Anyway, hope you fellow loyalists are fighting the good fight! Same to the traitors, if only in that doing so gives us a worthy challenge tongue.png

Weekend update time! I'm writing this in my hotel room, as I'm a couple states up seeing family. I won't be able to get work done for a couple days, so I thought I'd try to placate you all with some shots of what I got done before I left!

I decided to get my butt in gear and get everything I had left over primed for painting/ETL vows.

med_gallery_92924_11820_804517.jpg

-Before heading through the primer grinder

and here's what it looked like when all's said and done

med_gallery_92924_11820_131215.jpg

-A lot of work...unsure.png I'll try to get it done one unit at a time though.

I did do a bit of actual painting before I headed out, however...

The perceptive among you might have noticed that there's a Spartan among the myriad things I managed to get primed. In addition to being an awesome kit(although I had to sculpt about 5 tracks with greenstuff), it has a absolutely beautiful interior by the assault ramp section.

I really couldn't bring myself to glue that ramp shut and seal off that awesome molding forever; so before I primed the rest I sprayed the interior plates and got to work.

med_gallery_92924_11820_216878.jpg

-here the pieces are separately; I tried going for a lighting effect on the whole thing. First time trying it, so let me know how it worked!

med_gallery_92924_11820_356199.jpg

-A better view of the side of the interior. The goal was to make the light more intense around the source, but let me know if I overdid it biggrin.png .

and a final thing...

[pict-transmission redirect: by order of the Sigilite]

=][=. The galaxy is at war. One of the children of our emperor has fallen in his bind ambition and seeks to usurp the greatest hope for humanity in a vain gamble for power.

Beyond the armies of the one true, Imperial cause there must be agents that may operate wherever is needed to throw back the wave of heresy. These noble warriors must further be able to move between loyalist armies as needed. These wandering soldiers, these knight-errant have been recruited from every source available, those who fight against their former legions and the best among the legiones astartes.

In particular, the one which I present to you presently; a hunter who stalked his prey armed with a shield of night, a warlord who battled the many-headed serpent's lies, a warrior of few equal in combat, and a knight with an obscured past and a familiar name. A Reaver, to scour the galaxy of the filth which now pervades it, and to stand against the rising tide of rebellion.

I only hope that it is enough. =][=

So, the good-old Nemean Reaver! One of my favorite Knight-Errants, shortly behind Qruze and Macer Varren. He doesn't have an official model(nor will he likely anytime soon), so I had to kitbash him. I thought about using a sigismund and cleaning out all the Templar and fists imagery, but given he's a combat character he'd likely end up looking too same-y.

I instead elected to use the other IF character, Alexis Polux, as a baseline. My reasoning is that he doesn't have a very in-action pose normally, so by changing that it'd make him look different enough. Feel free to tell me how I did biggrin.png

med_gallery_92924_11820_407567.jpg

-The Headless Reaver... the head is forthcoming.

I wanted to make him look like he was issuing challenge from high ground, as if to say "I just beat this... don't think the same won't happen to you" I'm debating putting a dis-armed alpha legion on his base as well, but that might be over-doing it.

Anyhow that's it for now, have a great night!

Really awesome Dangles.

Thanks! I'm trying my best to live up to the standards you guys have put up in here alreadybiggrin.png so much great stuff.

@noigrim: I appreciate it! I knew I had to use them the moment I saw 'em. Now here's hoping they make the Calibanite Flammbard a wargear option when we get the full rules so I can use the rest of them tongue.png.

I'll try my best to make it look like it's on fire, but I haven't really gotten the opportunity to paint flames before(not a Word Bearer), so I hope it doesn't end up looking too bad.

@BadDice0809: Sure thing! here it is:

med_gallery_92924_11820_396120.jpg

I used some greenstuff to hide a couple casting problems, and hopefully it'll simulate fire licking the blade when it's painted! (hopefully being the operative word.)

but, anyway...

Update!

I was a whirlwind of progress this week, and I managed to knock out a whole tac squad(minus the sarge/Vexilia you might remember from earlier).

Now I just hope I can paint as quickly when ETL comes around...

but, I digress, onto the pictures!

med_gallery_92924_11820_67843.jpg

-Squad Londresor forming up. Lots of fun working on these guys.

med_gallery_92924_11820_96958.jpg

-I got to get some practice with weathering and patterns, which will help when I move onto the more elite units.

med_gallery_92924_11820_596186.jpg

-One of my favorite marines in the squad. He shall be named Brother-marine Ector. (his friends call him Hec-tor.)

med_gallery_92924_11820_309360.jpg

-tried some patterns out on the calibanite shoulder pads as well. You can't see it in these pictures but I also did a couple of checkered forearms like the book 6 dark angel's.

I was also asked about how I go about doing these guys, so I'm gonna try and make a succinct summary. it isn't a whole lotta work to be honest, especially comparing to the likes of NL and IF.

So, first thing to note. I do highlights backwards.

My hands are pretty shaky and, while I can get fine detail to work, i'm too worried about messing it all up at the finish line. So I do all the highlights before I wash(heavily) with nuln oil(and/or Agrax/Seraphim if need be)anyhow onto the colors.

Trim/metal is straight leadbelcher, highlighted with runefang if I'm feeling frisky.

Gold/copper is Balthasar Gold, not overly gaudy and kindy reddish so I like it.

so black is simple, two step dealie.

1)abbadon black

2)heavy drybrush dawnstone(you could use an airbrush if you have one as well.)

-nuln oil

This is to help break up the black. the drybrush naturally highlights the black and when it gets washed the black still comes through.

+ + + +

Red:

1)Mephiston Red

2)highlight 50/50 mix Mephiston/Evil Sunz Scarlet

-nuln oil and/or agrax(use agrax if it's a big, flat area like a vehicle, otherwise nuln is fine)

+ + + +

White

1)Mix 1/3rd PP Menoth White Base, 1/3rd Ulthuan Grey, and 1/3rd White Scar to make white base which applies easily.

2)highlight with white scar

-50/50 Mix nuln oil/agrax earthshade. Add some Seraphim Sepia for cloth.+

+ + + +

Green:

1)Caliban Green(duh)

2)build some Warpstone glow into caliban green, highlight.

3)build a small dab of Moot Green onto mixture, extreme highlight.

-Nuln oil

for how I do power weapons:

1)base weapon in leadbelcher/whatever metal is appropriate.

2)dab small amount of caliban green onto tip/face of weapon, then drybrush about halfway to hilt/handle.

3)drybrush warpstone glow a little further up, working over previous colour to make a sort of gradient.

4)extreme highlight with some wet moot green, maybe drybrush a little around edge if you want.

and that's pretty much it! Hope that was helpful / wasn't too distracting.biggrin.png

I also finished a little companion that will hopefully be a cyber familiar or similar non-combatant for the army. Or just a mascot, who can tell.

med_gallery_92924_11820_33176.jpg

-Hurrah for Warhammer Jawas! I seriously love the Watchers in the dark. So I'm positing that a couple of them hid away on the ships of the Calibanite recruits, were eventually mistaken for abhumans and became sort of equerries to the strikeforce.

med_gallery_92924_11820_352601.jpg

-I went for white habit to distinguish them from their post-heresy getup.

And with that, I am done. No Idea what I'm gonna work on next, but I'll probably try to pace myself so I have stuff to paint for ETL!

On a final note; I recently got a hold of 5 unassembled MKIII guys. What do you guys think I should do with them?

Archived