Duty & Honour: A Ist Legion Log - Veterans in Progress

Jerichus

Hey guys, thanks for the praise!

I managed to keep up the pace for now, I managed to paint a couple guys over the weekend!

Namely, I got a Primus Medicae and an apothecary done.

med_gallery_92924_11820_771054.jpg

-Apothecary Godfrey on the left and Primus Medicae Secundus Akiviel on the right.

med_gallery_92924_11820_596401.jpg

-Godfrey laden down with the tools of his vocation.

med_gallery_92924_11820_950146.jpg

-Rear photo. Godfrey is regarded for his calm, commanding presence. He often assists in relaying orders to the squad to which he is assigned, often to the chagrin of the actual Sergeants. Regardless, Godfrey has been long rumored to be the de-facto replacement should a spot in the Primarion Medicii open.

med_gallery_92924_11820_94895.jpg

-Primus Medicae Secundus Akiviel. A Man of stalwart conviction to the point of obstinacy, Akiviel often interprets orders in such a way that allows him to treat the greatest number of injured astartes and has even been known to offer aid to accompanying Imperial Army and Solar Auxilia forces. This has often brought him into conflict with the Order High Command, who allow him to continue the behavior only due to Akiviel's popularity among both the lower and elite ranks of the strikeforce.

med_gallery_92924_11820_51463.jpg

-Rear shot. The post of Primus Medicae Secundus was created due to the enormous loss suffered by the Ist legion at Rangda. Some records state upwards of 50,000 Dark Angels were slain, most of whom were unable to have their progenoid glands removed before becoming tainted due to the apothecarion being focused else-ware. Thus, in the aftermath of the atrocity, the Legion Commanders at the time decided to include a redundancy that allowed up to two additional Primus Medicae to be elevated temporarily in order to better command apothecaries across a campaign. The rebellion of several astartes legions has required the IXth order to reinstate this decree.

So that's it for painting. I also managed to get a couple things built as well!

med_gallery_92924_11820_317052.jpg

-The Nemean Reaver, now with his head! Maybe a bit small, but to be fair, Polux's armor is pretty up-armoured.

med_gallery_92924_11820_27632.jpg

-Praevian Eliezer, a work in progress. Narik is such a cool model I couldn't resist building myself a master of automata!

med_gallery_92924_11820_118211.jpg

-I'm planning on getting a trio of Darkfire Cannon Castellax to go along with him and wreck some stuff for the Emperor(and the Lion)

med_gallery_92924_11820_107047.jpg

-Pic of his Boarding shield.

Finally for now I managed to get a big 'un built(the body at least)

med_gallery_92924_11820_623135.jpg

-Honoured Ancient Brom of the Flame.

med_gallery_92924_11820_166922.jpg

-Brom was a destroyer who, after his squad was killed in battle against the Xeno Huru Dynasty on their world of Argav, charged headlong through their lines to the Huru forces' command where he detonated his phosphex charges. Martyring himself to cripple the Xenos leadership and allow the Dark Angels to decisively crush their forces and bring Argav into compliance.

med_gallery_92924_11820_530982.jpg

-The Apothecarion found Brom covered in the inextinguishable flames of the Phosphex he had set off, far beyond salvation by any less than the Emperor's skill. Nonetheless the Lion ordered the Forge to attempt to entomb him within the mightiest dreadnought for his courage and bravery. The Entombment was successful but the phosphex burns still cause him insufferable agony. His frame constantly administers heavy painkiller medicine to him that dull the pain as well as his senses to near catatonia. When Ancient Brom is released to do battle, his painkiller dosage recedes and he relentlessly pursues his enemies, hoping that adrenaline will kill the pain, for a while, at least.

And that's it for now! I'm still unsure about what to do with the 5 MKIII I've got currently. I could give them some spare Chargers maybe for a third support squad, but it seems to mobile a roll for their heavy armor. Any advice?

Anyhow I hope all you guys remain excellent to each other.

Thanks! I'm a big fan of your leviathans so I needed to have one of my own biggrin.png.

Managed to get his hull-weapons magnetized so I can choose between chooming and burning traitors!(both are acceptable)

Hey, everyone! ETL is only 9 days away, so get those pledges ready!

Myself, I've been priming and building stuff nonstop. In fact I've got a second B@C kit arriving soon I need to get all built and ready for vowing.

I did take step away from those enticing bare plastic and resin models and skin-tearing glue for a moment to get one last thing painted before the contest begins

Here's Ingethon, the second of a trio of Apothecaries to provide battlefield aid to my army.

med_gallery_92924_11820_32267.jpg

-Apologies for any few left-over mold lines; he's an old model of mine I had painted before, and I forgot to clear them before starting on him!

med_gallery_92924_11820_473940.jpg

-Rear Shot. I really enjoy painting these apothecary vials, thankfully I won't have to wait long because I'm planning on converting both Aetheon and a normal mkiv marine into apothecaries as well!(well one's a Primus medicae, but that's just semantics)

I also thought I'd show you some stuff I finally got built recently that I can hopefully get primed in time.

med_gallery_92924_11820_508888.jpg

-A 10-man Volkite Caliver Support squad. I thought I'd use MKV as I rarely see it around here and it appeals to me in a weird way. It looks almost leonine in appearance to me, maybe that's why I associated it with DA! Anyway, I love Calivers and I really can't wait to make another squad of them! (maybe in MKII this time)

med_gallery_92924_11820_1189218.jpg

-RG Contemptor repurposed into a DA one. Really all I had to do is to take off the Raven skulls and add a couple swords here and there. I want this guy to be the "leader" of the first talon I've built.

I find that a lot of the RG stuff isn't far off thematically from DA. Given part of the background for this army is that they've intercepted and appropriated a Mechanicum ship carrying RG equipment, I thankfully have somewhat of an excuse to convert some RG models to my own nefarious purposes, at least until the DA specific stuff comes out.

That's it! Somewhat brief I know, but hopefully I can get my butt in gear and have bunches of stuff to show you come the 15th!

(P.S: I still have no clue what to do with those MKIII dudes.)

• 2 weeks later...

What's up my battle-brethren? Time for an update!

ETL has officially started and I was super pumped to get a-painting. I'm frankly astonished at the pace I've been keeping, I just hope I don't burn myself out on it!

Thankfully, I've got quite a lot of stuff to keep me busy, hopefully enough for a couple more vows yet!

Anyway, I decided I wanted to do a unit I could get done fairly quickly, so I decided to expand my(admittedly small) motor pool by painting a second Sicaran!

med_gallery_92924_11820_275585.jpg

-The Spear of Rangda joins the fray!

med_gallery_92924_11820_129744.jpg

-I was super excited to get a chance to try out Checkering on a vehicle-sized model. Hopefully it doesn't look too bad!

med_gallery_92924_11820_302436.jpg

-The other side.(apologies for my stupid hand getting in the way)

I also managed to crack out the first member of my Veteran Squad, as well as getting to (finally) paint some Choom!

med_gallery_92924_11820_423462.jpg

-Brother Andros. I wanted to use Red-White heraldry on the veterans to distinguish them. Maybe it's a precursor to the later white-adorned veterans msn-wink.gif

med_gallery_92924_11820_583036.jpg

-Better look at the Torso. I've mentioned before but I love what little FW has made for the Primus Legio, and hopefully we'll get more knightly action soon!

med_gallery_92924_11820_511193.jpg

-Rear Shot. Also gives a slightly-better look at the Charger.

That's all I've got for you guys at the moment. I'm blazing through things though, and hopefully I'll have some more to show you by the weeks' end!

On a final note:

I've been thinking about what I'll do about a Praetor for my force recently. I don't want to default to the FW kit and I wanted something that better suited the DA's flavor. To that end I've ordered a model I think will better suit what I'm looking for, namely I'm going to use Interrogator-Chaplain Seraphicus as a base.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zkzRiF-HPrE/UMC3dyai_HI/AAAAAAAAAUU/we5wmocc0Y8/s320/P1020193+-+Copy.JPG

-Here's someone else's model for reference.

Anyway, I'll be replacing the Crozius with a Paragon Blade and probably the Plasma Pistol too(unsure for what, however).

The main issue I'm having is trying to find a helmet that's unique but works with the model.

As of right now I've got two bits I'm thinking of(ironically both from other legions' unique units), so I thought I'd pass them by you guys and hopefully you can help me decide.

Option #1 Red Butcher's head

http://cs7001.vk.me/c540105/v540105894/b828/Pq_9An9Thzc.jpg

Definitely the harder option, but perhaps the more rewarding. The helmet is molded onto the torso so I'd have to cut it out and then smooth it down. (I'd also have to shave off the WE Maws, but that's not as big a deal.) I like it because it looks like an angrier and more angular GK helmet, and it does look pretty appropriate.

Option #2 Phoenix Guard's Head

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ROjbLLrEWKw/Uio8Ovc7xbI/AAAAAAAACxU/a3ojOmYY4yw/s1600/Screenshot_3.jpg

Easier to do than the Butcher's, but I'm unsure whether it'll work better or worse. It's got a kind of Death Mask appearance to it, but I do like the nasal beam and the triangular eye slits.

Anyway, sorry for my indecisive rambling guys, but anything you can throw my way would definitely be appreciated. I would've put this into a seperate post but I didn't want to bloat the thread with replies from one person(me).

Have a great afternoon/whenever you are, folks! Be excellent to each other!

How about the PAGK helmets?

I don't know, I've never been fond of using those guys for non-knights errant in HH. It just seems a bit too similar in form to MKVII(and given the fact it's a 40k base model I'd like to try to go away from that direction).

Plus I kinda feel like it's a bit too far toward the "late medieval" period of helmet, and I picture DA being much more "Early Medieval/Dark Ages" type, if that makes senseunsure.png. More of a Greathelm-type as apposed to a Sallet helmet. The Paladin helmets look close to what I'm shooting for, but they look comically-oversized on power armoured models.

It's also a efficiency thing. I've no plans to make a Cataphractii version of the Praetor currently, but if I do want to, either of my current prospective options would work fine, but from what I can tell PAGK helmets would look kind of silly on Terminators.

Ultimately though, the main reason is because I want to do some Knight-Errant to go with the NR and those helmets were what I was planning on using tongue.png.

Thanks for trying to help though! So would you say if those two were the only options you'd like the Red Butcher one better?

Have you considered using one of the FW DA or IF helmets? They both have some knightly details to them.

I will definately be using the DA helmets on some of my other guys! I've also made use of several IF stuff and I've got a Delegatus coming up that should look similar to the sons of Dorn(although I need to be careful not to overuse things of that ilk).

I just wanted to try to give the Praetor a more unique look in comparison to the other troops if possible biggrin.png

As a side note; I got a couple bits and, bar magnetizing the Jump Pack/Backpack he's done!

med_gallery_92924_11820_124379.jpg

How about the PAGK helmets?

I don't know, I've never been fond of using those guys for non-knights errant in HH. It just seems a bit too similar in form to MKVII(and given the fact it's a 40k base model I'd like to try to go away from that direction).

Plus I kinda feel like it's a bit too far toward the "late medieval" period of helmet, and I picture DA being much more "Early Medieval/Dark Ages" type, if that makes sense:unsure:.  More of a Greathelm-type as apposed to a Sallet helmet. The Paladin helmets look close to what I'm shooting for, but they look comically-oversized on power armoured models.

Maybe puppetswar's High Crusader Heads or the hooded variant would look sufficiently like the early middle ages.

Thanks for trying to help though! So would you say if those two were the only options you'd like the Red Butcher one better?

Yup, but wouldn't that helmet also be oversized for a power armoured model?

Out of likes! Curses.

@Quixus

I'll look into it! I ordered some of those very same helmets to use for my Nemean Reaver conversion higher up in the thread, and I found them just an eensy-bit on the small side compared to a marine. Maybe the hooded one isn't as bad, however?

99020187202_WorldEatersSupportCadre01.jp

From what I can tell, the heads are about the same size. I think(may be wrong) that the indomitus pattern helmets are bigger than the other terminator ones. I've dry-fit a couple of paladin heads I've got lying around onto models and it makes them look a bit big-headed(maybe it fits after all msn-wink.gif)

@Wolf_Pack

Thanks man! I'm always open to painting advice, especially from someone who does such amazing work biggrin.png.

But I'm afraid I'm not fully understanding, did you mean to drybrush over the cape to highlight it?

Sorry, I haven't had my morning intake of caffeine quite yet tongue.png. But thanks a ton for the advice!

I'm continuing work on the veterans this afternoon, so look out for it! They're not done yet but they're getting there.

Yeah, drybrush the high areas and leave the creases as is. It will give your minis a lot more punch!

Can do! I'll try it out on a couple models and show you guys the results when I get some free time later biggrin.png

Ok guys, I managed to get 3 more guys painted today, including the Sargent!

med_gallery_92924_11820_703618.jpg

-Decided to paint the Sargent's helmet white to distinguish him from the others

med_gallery_92924_11820_480926.jpg

-Solo shot. The whole "white helmet" thing was because I remember reading that in 40k, the consecrater chapter's DW-equivalent have white helmets in honor of the original Deathwing. It was a bit of a gamble, let me know if It payed off!

med_gallery_92924_11820_515442.jpg

-Shot of arm checkering and Calibanite Warblade.

med_gallery_92924_11820_753281.jpg

-Shoulder pad shot. A dark band down the center of the red-white checker with some calibanite glyphs.

and here are closeups of the other two.

med_gallery_92924_11820_472229.jpg

med_gallery_92924_11820_335315.jpg

Also, as per Wolf_Pack's suggestion, I went back over the models with cloth and added some highlights, let me know how it looks!

med_gallery_92924_11820_627214.jpg

-I think it worked best on the Watcher but you guys let me know biggrin.png

As for the helmet dealie, it looks as if people are most interested in the Red Butcher option, so I'll probably try and snag a couple on ebay, unless you guys' think otherwise tongue.png

There'll be more coming up soon. I'm hoping at least to get the rest of the squad finished this week, plus a character or two!

Small update unfit for title change.

I got Seraphicus in the post today! Got him somewhat built, let me know how he looks biggrin.png

med_gallery_92924_11820_381577.jpg

-Left arm awaiting Shoulder pad and right arm awaiting weapon. I think I'm going to give him a Archaeotech pistol; because, even though I know it's not super effective, I think it's cool looking and it is totally in theme with the DA biggrin.png.

I also chopped off those pesky smokestacks on his power pack and replaced them with an Iron Halo. I'm considering removing it but I think the backpack looks pretty stale without some decoration.

Here's a better shot of the sword.

med_gallery_92924_11820_71701.jpg

-Converted from the hilt of the B@C Chaplain's Crozius and a PuppetsWar Sword. I wanted to go for a bastard sword, let me know if it worked out!

the other bits are coming in the post and should be here a week or two from now.

After getting some inspiration from reading a couple threads here(lookin' at you, Bladewolf), I'm considering writing up a bit of fluff beyond the occasional blurb when I do a character or unit.

However I don't want to take up too much space and if people aren't interested in reading then I'll just keep my little stories about plastic/resin men to myself biggrin.png

Currently trying to get a couple more vets to completion, so you can look out for another mini-update tomorrow, probably.

Have a Traitor-free day, everyone!

Archived