++The Feast of Blades 42,016++

Hello, and welcome to the Feast of Blades competition, in which your ETL-vowed character models fight in an Arena of Death to the not quite death, in order to be crowned the kind of the arena, and champion of the forum. There can be only one.

What is the Feast of Blades
All those bearing the heritage of Sanguinius are allowed to compete for the honour of their chapter, and it would be great to see many canon successors and home grown chapters enter. In the event, Blood Angels players chose a champion that they have vowed and painted for the ETL (only completed vows will be allowed to fight), and these will fight against one another (I will be rolling the dice) in a knockout style tournament, until there is only one model remaining: The Victor.

The Feast of Blades Challenge is an idea pinched from Chaplain Lucifer on the DA subforum (with permission). The original thread can be found here, but I have modified them slightly for the BA. The idea is that we have a little friendly rivalry, support our champions, and gain glory. As I roll the dice, I will be narrating the fight, adding a little flavour to the proceedings. To help me out on this, your character needs a name and a story/title. Go nuts, this is your chance for your Champion to gain glory everlasting.

How can I participate in the Feast of Blades?
It's quite easy. The key thing is that your champion must have been vowed and painted as part of ETL 2016. A failed vow on the champion means that he will be disqualified from the FoB - painted models only! A champion may be any non-unique model with the 'Character' type, including sergeants, and excluding codex-named characters, of up to 160pts, chosen as normal from the codex. Register your interest in the thread by commenting, posting a photo of your model/link to the ETL vow your champion is in, with a list of the wargear they are taking:

Additional Character Rules
You may choose a single sergeant from any unit entry if you wish, but he will be at a disadvantage in the wound stake, this is compensated by the below:

Purchasing re-rolls:
Like in goo old Blood Bowl, Rerolls may be purchased by characters at a cost of 15points each. This is to even things out betwen characters. A captains experience gives him better WS, more attacks, etc, but a sergeants experience lets him predict the enemies movements, dodge their attacks, etc. Rerolls are used sequentially for each failed roll a character makes, so if you buy 2 rerolls, rapid fire a bolter in the first turn and miss both, then that is both rerolls gone.

Example characters:
Chaplain Lorenzo: Valour's edge, digital weapons, 2 rerolls 150pts
Captain Castigon, Warden of the North Gate: Relic Blade, Grav Pistol, storm shield, Artificer Armour 160pts
Vanguard Veteran Sergeant Vincenzo: Hand flamer, Lightening claw, storm shield, jump pack, 7 rerolls, 160pts

When does it start?
The Feast of Blades event will start immediately after the conclusion of ETL 2016, so you have plenty of time to paint your champion, but not much time left to vow for ETL! Models vowed/completed for ETL 2016 before this post are valid, just add the link as normal.

Arena of Death rules:

• I will be the GM. Any decision I make is final, and mostly based on gut feeling
  • 160 points limit.
  • No named characters
  • The instant death rule is modified to cause D2 wounds instead.
  • Any character from Codex: Blood Angels is allowed, from a 1W Sgt to a Company Captain, at the cost listed in the appropriate datasheet in the codex.
  • Characters with special rules will always try to use them to their advantage.
  • In case of odd numbers I will have a stand in character ready.
  • First pairings are random, further parings will follow a bracket scheme.
  • Make an awesome Champion to duke it out with your fellow Frater's Champions

Characters and perks

• Sgt and Vet sgts of any kind will have "rugged and experienced" rule. You don't get to Vet. Sgt by dying easily so 1W characters will have a special 6+ save that can be taken in addition to other saves (in the same manner as a FnP roll).
  • Librarians, before battle will always roll on a table or tables chosen by the player.
  • Librarians will always use 1 dice of the dice pool to try and cast Force power.
  • Jump packs give a +1 to initiative rolls to see who goes first.
  • If one model has 2 different CC weapons, the attacks will be split evenly between both or at user's discretion upon submitting entry.

The Fight
Contestants start 18" from each other. To see who goes first a D6 and added the characters Initiative. The model going first will get to move, shoot and assault. The model being assaulted can overwatch at full BS.

However if assault fails the model that overwatched can't shoot on his shooting phase. Combats will be resolved just as a normal 40K combat until one model is left with 0 wounds.

How will I know the results?
A battle report after each battle will be written describing the battle.

Questions?
If there are any questions that I did not clarify enough or doubts you have I will add to the FAQ.
Additional Character Rules
You may choose a sergeant from any unit entry if you wish, but he will be at a disadvantage in the wound stake.

ENTERING:
If you have already made an ETL vow: You can either use a character from your current or a previous vow, or 2) complete that vow, then re-vow with your Feat of Blades character
If you have not made a vow in ETL 2016 yet: Then you have 1 week to vow make the most badass character for 160pts you can, before the ETL. You then have until around August 15th to paint them up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Champion Arises

Captain Castigon*, Warden of the North Gate: Relic Blade, Grav Pistol, jump pack, 1 reroll 160pts

gallery_58096_11797_90485.jpg

The roaring of the chamber was deafening as the captain strode into the arena. Castigon's baleful bionically enhanced eye scanned the room, looking for a worthy adversary. Almost all of the Scions of Sanguinius were represented at the fest, even some brothers thought lost, and welcomed with pause. "Who accepts my challenge? Step forth and speak thy name!" He bellowed, his osmotic grill/vox caster amplifying his voice thunderously. The room quieted at his call, silent, bar the whirr of powered armour, and thudding footsteps approcaching..."I accept..."

*Although currently unvowed, Castigon will be part of my second ETL vow, and be the ringer in case of uneven numbers. By the end of ETL, I want cool photos of painted characters for the competition.

Entrants:

0: Captain Castigon of the Blood Angels (Xenith)

1: Captain Gallan of the Lamenters (Boudan)
2: Scout Sergeant Kholl Grann of the Blood Owls (Captain Helion)
3: Chaplain Pontius Contristatus of the Angels Sorrowful (Nicodemus)
4: Brother Librarian Slantien Forcells of the Blood Angels.(Mightykin)
5: Veteran Sergeant Dantorial of the Blood Angels (EDC)
6: Librarian Sandriel of the Flesh Tearers (Slangwhanger)
7: Reclusiarch Hazriel the Oathsworn of the Carmine Blades (Dont-Be-Haten)

8: Sergeant Lorenzo of the Blood Angels (Jolemai)

9: Chaplain Cassius Octavius Nero of the Blood Angels (Lasuria)

10: Veteran Vanguard Sgt Trous of the Scarlet Mantle (Grazcruzk)

11: Captain Lazare of the Blood Angels 5th Company (Appiah5)

12: Epistolary Castiel of the Blood Angels (RedemptionNL)

13: Chaplain Darr'knight of the Sanguine Vision (Charlo) No pict available

14: Vanguard Vet Sgt. Brutus of the Blood Revenants (Brother Lemartes)

15: Captain Zedrenael of the Blood Angels 8th Company (SM1981)

16: Epistolary Fayyad of the Sanguine Blades (Chapel XIII)

17: Veteran Sergeant Andreas of the Blood Angels (Spagunk)

Edited by Jolemai
Tags

Sounds interesting. Does the rugged and experienced rule mean that Vanguard Veteran Sergeant Vincenzo has a rerollable 2+ invulnerable save?

Edited by Quixus

Sounds interesting. Does the rugged and experienced rule mean that Vanguard Veteran Sergeant Vincenzo has a rerollable 2+ invulnerable save?

Good catch, no, this was a hangover from the rules I stole - I thought that would be possible also, but it's an additional save - modified accordingly.

Good catch, no, this was a hangover from the rules I stole - I thought that would be possible also, but it's an additional save - modified accordingly.

So what's the benefit for a Sgt that has an invulnerable save from another source (TDA, Storm Shield)? What about the rule that you only get one save per wound?

So what's the benefit for a Sgt that has an invulnerable save from another source (TDA, Storm Shield)? What about the rule that you only get one save per wound?

• Sgt and Vet sgts of any kind will have "rugged and experienced" rule. You don't get to Vet. Sgt by dying easily so 1W characters will have a special 6+ save that can be taken in addition to other saves (in the same manner as a FnP roll).

Obviously, some rules are being modified from the BRB, as has been detailed in the opening post. Hopefully, the intent is clear.

I will certainly enter my completed Company Captain.

I dub him: "Captain Gallan."

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w371/Brendanguilford/A695DFF5-5D89-4411-AB86-A3B15F782AE5_zpsshykimbq.jpg

Wargear:

Storm Bolter, Thunderhammer, Storm Shield, Artificier Armor

Edited by Boudan

Some questions:

Do we post 'before' painted pics, or just completed pics?

Is there a limit to the number of how many reroll you can purchase?

Can rerolls be used for things like saves?

Is the 6+ character save affected by Instant Death in the same way as FnP?

EDC

Some questions:

Do we post 'before' painted pics, or just completed pics?

The before pic will be in the ETL vow thread, post the completed pic here so I can make some character portraits

Is there a limit to the number of how many reroll you can purchase?

Yes, in that they cost 15pts each, and you have 160pts to play with.

Can rerolls be used for things like saves?

Any failed roll, used in order. So if  you buy 3 rerolls, the miss with your bolt pistol, and miss 2 combat attacks, you have no rerolls left for your saves when your opponent attacks you.

Is the 6+ character save affected by Instant Death in the same way as FnP?

Nope, it's not a FNP roll, it's a special save that can be taken in addition to others.

EDC

160 pts- (cost of sergeant + cost of veteran upgrade + cost of fist )/15pts per reroll

Scout sergeant Helion + veteran upgrade+power fist + 7 rerolls = 151pts.

You might be able to add a storm bolter in there or something, or drop a reroll for a combi.

Edited by Xenith

The lad himself's got a camo cloak, shotgun and meltabombs as well, but none of that push him over 160pts, so 7 rerolls it is! Now to name him properly.

A Shotgun and powerfist is an awesome combo!

Awesome stuff so far, guys, that's 4 contestants not including myself, meaning this will definitely take place!

Mightykin, Librarian, excellent, all he needs now is a name so the crowd know who to cheer for!

I'll enter one of my Termie Sgts:

Veteran Sergeant Dantorial, TDA, SS, TH, 7 rerolls.

Battle Brother Dantorial has served with the Blood Angels for over 2 centuries, with over 50 years as part of the 1st Company. An ambitious and cunning warrior, who is all too modest in his abilities attributing many of his personal victories to luck.

His uncanny luck raised the suspicions of the Librarius, but despite various tests could detect no latent psychic abilities. Even the Reclusiam has considered that he may some how be marked by the Emperor for deeds significant to the Blood Angels in the dark days ahead. No matter the reasons Dantorial has thrown his lot into the Feast of Blades, hoping to catch Commander Dante's eye...

Edit: Pic

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/8/11/819635_sm-2016%20Etl%2C%20TH%252FSS%20Sgt.JPG

EDC

Edited by evildrcheese