• 1 month later...
Zendrenaels chapter serf groaned internally, petrified that if he vocalised his anquish on an audible level that he would be labeled a traitor and banished to Baals radioactive wastelands for the remainder of his days. It had been many moons since his lord had been defeated in gladiatorial combat, and the Captain was still farting Witchfire. He was afraid that if this didn't stop soon it would draw th attention of the Inquisition, and then things would surely escalate. But when, when would the tournament and it's associated side effect's to his master end? Edited by SM1981

++FINAL FIGHT++

Captain Gallan: Storm Bolter, Thunderhammer, Storm Shield, Artificier Armor 

Slantien: Mastery level 2 librarian in TDA rolling on Biomancy. Force axe, storm shield and 2 rerolls.

++BEGIN++

Two titans enter the arena. Both gods of the battlefield, their names etched into the hearts of their foes, the bane of traitors, heretics, xenos and the depraved across the galaxy. They had each proven their mettle against their brothers, the pair the apex of the 16 attendees of the Feast of Blades.

After the previous fights, their wounds were tended to, their armour polished until the ceramite gleamed, golden paragons of the astertes, angels of vengeance. And hope.

Dante stood. The axe Mortalis planted in the ground at his feet, his absent mindedly stroking the blade. Both took a knee before the Lord of the Host, not able to look upon the angered features of their primarch. To be near it was to feel discomfort. To look upon for any length of time was to risk your sanity.

“Arise, my Champions. You have all earned honour for your chapters this day, but two among us stand out even amongst you great champions.”

He looks up to address the assembled crowd.

“Two remain to fight for the greatest honour. To be the champion of Baal, and of our noble blood line. The threats we face together are myriad, and in these dark times, we need champions to give hope to the Imperium. We are angels of hope, aye. But never forget that we remain forever His Angels of Death, and we shall not go quietly into the night. Take your places.”

The two champions could not be more different. The yellow chequered armour of Gallan opposite the deep blue of the Librarium that coated Slantien. That the Lamenter had made it this far showed the other scions of Sanguinius the strength of their line, and would cast doubt upon those rumours of taint. There was just one more battle to win. Likewise Slantien was an outsider to his brothers, a warrior mystic wielding powers few could comprehend, and few xenos could survive. Some viewed psychically enhancing your combat prowess dark trickery and dishonourable. The truth was, however, that to cage your psychic talents while fighting was the same as an expert swordsman using a crude mace, a marksman using an assault cannon. All were restricting themselves.

It was time. A single bell pealed out. Drawing in warp energy, Slantien shot towards Gallan, keen to close the distance. Psychic might flowed through his muscles, making Slantien appear to grow to the outside audience.

Gallan is not to be caught flat footed, and rockets towards Slantien. The Librarian was already invoking ancient rites, but nothing that couldn’t be solved with a boot to the face. Yellow armour met blue as Gallan impacted Slantien with the force of a charging grox. Slantien was rocked back and only just managed to bring his shield up in time before it was ringing under repeated impacts of Gallan’s hammer, their respective energy fields humming and sparking as they clashed. Backwards and forwards the fight went, neither warrior able to land a telling blow, the protection awarded by their storm shields a testament to their artificer’s craft. Gallan began to tire. Slantien could see it.

Dante imperceptively inclined forward on his seat as Gallan charged at the Librarian. Fuelled by warp energy, Gallan’s blows were ignored by Slantien, who batted away his hammer with the haft of his force axe, before bringing that sharp crescent blade back to Gallan’s neck. The Lamenter had been bested. The sound of a thunder hammer dropping to the ground echoed through the arena. Slantien had won. 

++Roll by Roll account++

Slantien rolls for powers. Gets a 1 and a 6, Iron Arm and Haemorrhage. Getting Iron Arm off would make this a tough fight for Gallan, and the Librarian S8 on the charge. It could be over in one round.

Roll for initiative: Gallan 7, Slantien gets 9.

Slantien move forwards. Rolls a 5 for warp charge. Ouch. 1 dice at force. Passed with no denial. 2 dice at iron arm. Passes. Not denied. 2 dice at haemorrhage. Failed even with 1 reroll. 2 dice at smite. Passed. Not denied. Smite hits 4 times. Wounds twice with the final reroll. 2 passed storm shield saves.

Slantien attempts to charge. Hit twice in overwatch, but unwounded. Rolls an 8 for charge distance and fails.

Gallan moves 6” forward. Storm bolter hits twice. Wounds twice. Both saved by TDA. Rolls to charge, gets a double 6.

Gallan: Hammer of wrath fails to wound. Gallan gets 3 hits. 3 wounds on T7 Slantien. 3 storm shield passes. Slantien attacks back. 1 Hit, wounds, failed storm shield save on a 1.

Gallan is force wounded and out.

++EPILOGUE++

The contest is over. Slantien had won, and honour remained with the Blood Angels this day. Their brethren from across the galaxy had not been wanting, however, and Commander Dante was heartened to see that the fire still remained, and would serve to light their darkest hour as the storm approached. As with all of the assembled heroes, there was more to Slantien than meets the eye. But...how much more? He mused. A smile cracked his ancient lips, over long incisors bared behind the mask and the Lord Commander of the Blood Angels grinned.

Dante stood up.

An awed hush falls over the arena, which falls silent. The Commander was about to speak.

The Death Mask of Sanguinius surveyed those around him in all it's awful glory, taking in the images of these brothers, these champions. His baleful eyes finally fix upon Slantien, red lenses boring into the Librarian. In the silence, Dante's jump pack roared to life...

Edited by Xenith

In B4 Quixus notices I forgot my own D2 wound for instant death rule for force weapons.

The only fights where it came into play, it didn't change the outcome, and I think I played it the same way throughout, although I will check.

A slight positive bias towards Librarians from this, but they generally had a worse time, going last, being hit on 3's by captains, etc. 

I will have to add a few more purity seals to Slantien to commemorate his victory!

I agree but the big question is, do you think he can take Dante?

He has to defeat the Secret Boss, otherwise we'll never get to see the Bonus Ending! ;) :lol:

"DESTROY THE GIANT ENEMY CRAB CARNIFEX!"

Top event overall Xenith, really well done and huge thanks for taking the time to write up all the battles and roll the dice!

Now, as soon as the bonus round is done I believe the Tyranids and Denizens of the warp are knocking on Baal's doorstep...

++BOSS FIGHT++

Slantien: Mastery level 2 librarian in TDA rolling on Biomancy. Force axe, storm shield and 2 rerolls.

Commander Dante, Leader of the Angelic Host, Lord of all Blood Angels

++BEGIN++

A golden thunderbolt struck at the librarian, a fraction of a god encased in ceramite, and against this divine rage, nothing could stand. Slantien managed a storm of his own, and smote the auric figure, sparks of warp lightning crackling from his outstretched fingers, tendtils playing over Dante’sm armour, one finding a join in the ceramite and piercing through to the Commander’s skin, blistering on contact. Dante Snarled, and the Librarian started. Looking into the face of his gene father, he felt the tides of the warp receeding, and will to fight slipping from him. White hot melta beams lanced out at the librarian who used every ounce of his enhanced foresight to avoid them.

The libarian was shaken, but not out. The warp was no longer his ally, but he was still a Blood Angel, and would fight to the last. He charged forwards, axe raised and shield forwards to ward off the Axe Mortalis. To no avail. Dante struck like a viper, the lithe armour belying his augmented strength. Dante struck once, Slantiens world was ringing, twice, his shield arm lowered. Thrice, Dante smashed through Slantiens guard, breaking bones and flinging the shield from the librarians grasp. All was not lost, however, Dante’s berserker attacks had left him open, and the Libraian aimed a riposte at the Chapter Master’s side, this was it, he was damaged but he could win.

It played out in slow motion in front of him, the axe bit deep, Dante staggered and took a knee. Slantien proved his might.

It was was a great victory.

It would be remembered forever.

It was not real.

Dante ignited his jump pack a fraction of a second before Slantiens axe connected and arced in a serene somersault over the lumbering terminator lad warrior. Landing behind the Librarian, Dante’s infernus pistol hissed twice, severing the power cables to Slantiens arm servos. His arms dangling limply at his side, the librarian took a knee, and lowered his head.

++Roll by Roll account++

Slantien rolls warp speed. Enfeeble, smite, force.

Dante rolls 10 for initiative. Slantien rolls 9.

D1. Dante jumps 12” forwards. Hits with inferno pistol. Fails to wound. Rolls 3 for assault.

S1. Slantien moves 6” forwards to within 1” of Dante, and rolls 3 warp charge. Force fails. Casts enfeeble with reroll, but denied. Warp speed cast on 1 dice, BUT DANTE DENIES! Casts smite. 3 hits, 2 wounds, 1 failed save from Dante. Slantien charges. Also rolls a 3, but is close enough to charge. Dante’s overwatch hits, wounds, but saved by the storm shield. Dante strikes first and hits 4 times with mastercrafted reroll. Wounds 3 times. TRIPLE 6 TO SAVE. Slantien gets 1 hit, wounds, saved. Dante hit and runs 16” away.

D2. Dante jumps to 4” from Slantien Inferno hits, wounds, failed storm shield save, 2 wounds rolled. Slantien is down.

++EPILOGUE (pt 2)++

There was a reason Dante had lived for so long. Longer than any other Astartes. He was wise and wrathful beyond measure. An ancient god given form, he was a beacon in the dark, and inspiration, and their leader.

His eyes opened, and looked to the sky. The normal view of constellations was no longer there. A dark purple smudge of millions of approaching hive ships blotted out the stars one by one. Darkness was coming to Baal, and they would need their heroes more than ever.

Thanks all for coming on this journey with me, it took up way more of my time than I was expecting, but I wanted to do the fights justice in the write up.

I can say there will be a FoB 2017 if you are interested, albeit with vastly reduced entrant list, probably 8 instead of 16, to let me conclude it in reasonable time. This will be tied into the GBBO, ETL and RTS events, run by Jolemai.

Idealised sequence:

GBBO: Make your characters

ETL/RTS: Paint your characters

FoB: Watch them come alive.

Obviously, I'm not that fussy, but any character made in GBBO or ETL will be allowed to enter, but preference given to GBBO characters, as an incentive to make your own unique models.

Very awesome! Guess Dante is our Lord of War and Chapter Master for a reason...Slantien, our champion of champions, looked like a mere sandbag infront of him. :D

Next time the Knights of Blood will be present as well...if we survive that Tyranid invasion that is. :P

• 2 weeks later...