Welcome, children of Guilliman, to the Ultramar Battle Muster, a painting event designed specifically for Ultramarine and Successor players and collectors to get together and paint through their mounds of grey plastic! Unlike other events on the Bolter & Chainsword which have a much competitive nature, here you are only competing against yourself, pitting wet noodle-like willpower against the iron hard procrastination that plagues so many of us.
Will you join the Ultramarines, their successors, and their allies in this painting challenge? Will you battle against both procrastination and the legions of unpainted models? Will you stand for Ultramar and the Imperium of Mankind?
Join us and bring yourself and your brothers-in-arms courage and honour, in the name of Guilliman and the Emperor!
The rules are kept simple for maximum flexibility and fun. Below are the full rules for the event so please read carefully!
While the event is designed to be open to as many people as possible, some restrictions need to be put into place to make this a themed event for the Ultramarines, their Successors, and their allies.
The models you are going to paint must represent one of the following factions:
- The Ultramarines Chapter/Legion;
- Official Ultramarine Successor Chapters such as the Genesis Chapter, Novamarines, Aurora Chapter, or Howling Griffons (you can find more official successors here);
- Unofficial Ultramarine Successor Chapter such as the Legio Venator, Flowing Blades, Sons of Aetius, or Infinity Knights (basically, any DIY Chapter who's geneseed is sourced from the Ultramarines and their many Successors);
- Allied forces such as the Ultramar PDF and any other forces who are clearly tied to the Ultramarines and their Successors.
No other factions will be accepted so don't even try and submit that Fulgrim model you have lying around!
Models submitted for a vow must be either unassembled, assembled but unpainted, or assembled and covered in a single colour (so black undercoat, white undercoat, blue basecoat, etc). Any further progress made on models means that your models will not be valid for entry into the event. However, if you are unsure, your best bet is to contact the event Custodians and show them pictures of the models you'd like to pledge.
Once you have chosen the models you'd like to paint, you need to officially declare to the other participants what you shall be painting for the event. This is done in the form of a vow, an example of which can be found below:
I, [insert name], proud member of the [insert Chapter/force name], do swear to fully paint [insert models/units with wargear description] by Sunday 6th November 2016. In that time I shall provide at least one 'start' picture of my models and one 'finish' picture of my completed models before the given deadline. If I succeed, I shall bring glory to my brothers-in-arms. If I fail, shame and grief shall be my only companions.
For Guilliman and the Emperor! Courage and Honour!
Once your vow has been posted, you may start painting your models until they are finished. There is no standard of painting that you must reach but a general rule of thumb is that a completed model has at least three colours on it. How many steps are done after painting on the basecoat is up to each and every participant though you are all encouraged to push your skills ever further!
It is important to note a certain number of things concerning vows:
- You may only start painting once your vow has been posted and approved by one of the event Custodians (Dosjetka and Toxichobbit);
- You cannot make a subsequent vow before your current one is fully completed (ie. you cannot start a second vow if your first one is not completed, etc);
- You cannot make any modifications to your vow once it is posted and approved, so make sure you take your time to think your vow through before posting it;
- You cannot make more than five (5) vows during the event. Each vow can include as few or as many models as you wish.
- If you fail to post the final picture of your vow before the given deadline, the models from that vow do not count towards your personal total which is used to determine your 'rank' at the end of the event. Any previous vows that you have successfully completed remain untouched.
If any of the above rules are unclear, do not hesitate to contact one of the event Custodians in this thread or via PM to clarify your issue.
Do not forget to post one "start" picture before you starting painting your models and one "complete" picture with your fully painted models at the end! Only once you have posted a picture of your completed models can your vow count as being fulfilled!
You are of course welcome and very much encouraged to share work-in-progress (WIP) pictures with the other participants and provide feedback to one another.
If you follow the rules and put yourself to the task like a true child of Guilliman then there is nothing to stop you from achieving victory (ie. completing your vow)! Once you have completed your vow and the event is over, the Custodians will count the number of models you have painted and reward you with a rank and a small banner that reflects your mighty achievements. Wear this with pride in your signature space to show the your rivals how efficient a hobbyist you are! The event ranking system can be found below:
- Initiate: 1-49 models;
- Battle-Brother: 50-99 models;
- Sergeant: 100-199 models;
- Veteran Sergeant: 200-299 models;
- Captain: 300-499 models;
- Chapter Master: 500+ models.
Note: a model is anything from a Space Marine in Power Armour to a Spartan Assault Vehicle!
Specialist ranks can also be achieved and are detailed below:
- Company Champion: Painted the most models in one event;
- Chapter Champion: Painted the most models in three consecutive events;
- Devastator: Painted at least one model in three consecutive events;
- Assault: The first to complete their first vow in three consecutive events (minimum of ten models);
- Tactical: Completed five vows in one event (minimum of five models per vow);
- Lexicanium: Posted 1000+ words of fluff per vow made in one event;
- Codicier: Posted 1000+ words of fluff per vow made in two events;
- Epistolary: Posted 1000+ words of fluff per vow made in four events;
- Chief Librarian: Posted 1000+ words of fluff per vow made in five events;
- Chaplain: Acted as in inspiring and motivating presence in one event;
- Reclusiarch: Acted as in inspiring and motivating presence in three events;
- Master of Sanctity: Acted as in inspiring and motivating presence in five events;
- Tech-initiate: Painted at least five vehicles in one event;
- Techmarine: Painted at least five vehicles in three events;
- Master of the Forge: Painted at least five vehicles in five events.
As you can see, these specialist ranks are mostly geared towards participation in multiple B&C events. The exact list of events which you can join to add to your painted model total shall be published shortly. Please note that for the sake of fairness, everyone's painted model counter is at 0.
4. The most important rule
Get painting and enjoy yourself among other scions of Ultramar!
5. The second most important rule
If you are unsure about something, the Custodians (Dosjetka and Toxichobbit) are here to help! Do not hesitate to ask even the silliest of questions: they all deserve an answer!
START DATE: Sunday 28th August 2016
END DATE: Sunday 6th November 2016, 18:00 GMT
To officially proclaim your participation, promote the event, and spread the glory of Ultramar far and wide, you are encouraged to wear one of these badges in your signature space.