Legion Tactical Support Squad ᠡ (E) - - - [link]

Legion Tactical Squad ᠢ (I) - - - [link] - - - Rhino - - - [link]

Legion Seeker Squad ᠭ (G) - - - [link]

Legion Command Squad ᡁ‍ (Zh) - - - [link]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad ‍ᠣ (O) - - - [link]

Legion Reconnaissance Squad ᠢ‍ (U) - - - [link]

Legion Sky Hunter Squadron ‍ᠩ‍ (Ang) - - - [link]

Greetings Brothers and Sisters,

I've just purchased Betrayal at Calth and decided to make a White Scars army. I'm almost up-to-date with HH novels (just finished Praetorian of Dorn) and so far my favorite legion has been the fifth, plus I really like the historical Mongol theme, so the choice was simple. :smile.:

Now I've done the mandatory reading of the White Scars tactica thread here on B&C as well as the 1d4chan tactics page and a few other sources. It seems that few if any people run WS infantry since the Rite of War was released. It's all bikes or jetbikes now by the looks of it.

My question is: is it worth it to paint a lot of infantry for a semi-competitive White Scars army? I'm planning at least two Tactical Squads with Rhinos to make use of all the BaC models.

Next question: should I do a foot-slogging HQ or just go with a Praetor riding a Jetbike?

To prove that I'm not just speaking idly, here's a picture of the test model. Already working on a second one. :smile.:

whitescar.jpg

Edited by ShVagYeR

Cool looking white armour! I haven't seen that many White Scar legion armies, so I'll keep an eye on this.

I just feel the picture is a bit too bright considering it's white power armour, but it might just be the settings on my PC. Just a thought.

Welcome onboard the Vth ship ! I really like your test mini, it's nice and clean, and the gold faceplate is a very good choice.

I don't have any clue about your list question, I paint only the stuff I like to see. But I will follow this subject closely :)

Aha!

A fellow Chogorian! Very clean painting there, looking really good.

I did a Praetor on Jetbike, it just feels right. Tacticals are always useful, if nothing else for bulking out the numbers. With 20 tacticals in Rhinos, you've got someone to go for and/or sit on objectives, while the more mobile elements get down to the killing. As always, go with what you like the most. I really love Scimitars, but so far only got six, counting my Khan. Eventually I want to be able to run at least two Skyhunter Squads and a MM Skyslayer squad, but for the forseeable future I'll be adding some different flavours of infantry and armour, actually.

I'd been away for the weekend at a sci-fi/fantasy convention in South-Eastern Poland and took a mandatory 3-day break from painting. But as soon as I returned earlier today I put the brushes to good use and the result is a second marine. :smile.: I decided to make helmet colors diverse across the unit and this time the faceplate is red. Also put together a third one which is all Mk IV with a Mk II plumed helmet. Hopefully will be finished in the next few evenings. :smile.:

02_tactical_a_02.jpg

Thank you for so many responses and warm words!

Son of Carnelian - Yes I'll keep that in mind. I love that 1d4chan comment about the Scars having unmatched parkour skills. :biggrin.:

The God-Potato of Mankind - Hahah I read that in Mr. Takei's deep voice. :biggrin.: Great, I'm going with tacticals for the time being then.

GrandMagnus - Thanks! I've tried to tone down the brightness and contrast a bit in the picture below, is that better?

Lord Haelim Lev - Thank you, I'm pretty satisfied with the color scheme myself. :wink: In the 40k painting guide GW suggested Agrax Earthshade to make the shading warmer, but like you said Nuln Oil is much better at defining all those pretty shapes of Maximus power armour. :smile.:

Guiltysparc - Thanks, I'll give it some thought! As soon as I'm done with the infantry I'll start looking at jetbike options. Definitely at least one of them will be a converted Sammael.

One-eye - Glad to be aboard! I'll be honest - your WIP thread has been en enormous inspiration. I'm following you as well. :smile.:

Brother Pheidias - Same applies to your Brotherhood of the Shattered Spear. Looks like I'm in excellent company. :biggrin.:

Edited by ShVagYeR

No ku- ahem. Very nice Scars! If I didn't already have some Iron Warriors planned, I'd be getting my own Brotherhood going.

Maximus armor painted white is da bomb. I wish it would make sense to do some Heresy era Luna Wolves.

On another note, is there an active 30k scene where you live? Afaik there isn't one around here, but then, I live in Kielce...

That first picture is stunning with the contrast between the white, red, and bronze face-plate. I'm way behind on my Heresy books and Imperial Fists are my current project, but White Scars do look fantastic. Not as keen on the red face-plate in the second photo, but prefer the bronze ear pieces on that one to the red on the first. The combat blades look excellent, they have a very "tulwar" feel to them - have you trimmed them or are they stock and it is clever highlighting?

As for HQs, whilst a Praetor on Jetbike would be extremely fluffy, I feel a regular Bike may be better - Outriders are fare more suited to melee than Sky Hunters. I guess you could take a Legion Command Squad on Jetbikes for a melee unit, though it is more efficient to give Command Squads Bikes as they already have a 2+ save but jetbikes would look cool. One thing that would be worth considering is a Siege Breaker on Jetbike, giving a unit of Sky Slayers Tank Hunter & Wrecker is powerful, but he can also carry Phosphex Bombs which would be brutal on a platform that fast.

Here's the third model all painted. I feel like I should write at least a line or two of fluff for each as well as come up with names. Maybe when there's ten of them the motivation will be sufficient. :smile.:

02_tactical_a_03.jpg

GrandMagnus - Thanks!

One-eye - It's letter "a" from the Mongolian alphabet. Thought it wouldn't look out of place. :smile.:

Scared to death - I live in Łódź and I know of at least 2 people who are in the process of collecting 30k. There should be an opportunity to play in the future. :smile.:

Sith'ari - Glad you like them! More will be coming shortly. :smile.:

Ishagu - Thanks but they're not mine, Citadel produced them. :biggrin.:

b1soul - I suppose a Jetbike Praetor is the way to go then, as soon as I'm done with infantry.

Gothical - Thanks! I tend to prefer to bronze faceplate as well. As for the tulwar yes, it's the combat blade that comes with the BaC box. It's just bent a bit. :smile.: I see where you're coming from with the Bikes, but Jetbikes are much more fluffy. It'll be a hard choice. :smile.:

Aramis K - They are bent combat blades from BaC. It takes a bit of strength but not too much or they'll break.

Brother Pheidias - Well then I suppose you'll like the new model above. :smile.:

Edited by ShVagYeR

Gothical - Thanks! I tend to prefer to bronze faceplate as well. As for the tulwar yes, it's the combat blade that comes with the BaC box. It's just bent a bit. :smile.: I see where you're coming from with the Bikes, but Jetbikes are much more fluffy. It'll be a hard choice. :smile.:

That's really neat. How did you bend them? It is a subtle touch that looks utterly fantastic.

As for bikes/jetbikes... go with both? If you make characters that can either be a Praetor or a Centurion/Consul you can shift the army list around between games as well as having two awesome character models (I think the Mk.IV bike models are amazing, whilst White Scar Jetbikes look the bomb).

The fourth one has an old GW-style Mk IV helmet from some Blood Angels box (it had three blood drops on the forehead).

02_tactical_a_04.jpg

I'm currently putting together the sergeant. :smile.:

Brother Pheidias - Thank you! My progress isn't very fast so I have to at least try to compensate with quality. :wink:

Vinc - Yes gold ones are cool, but there will be some red ones as well. Just to add diversity. :wink: It's actually Mk II and I found it in my bits box.

Gothical - Thanks! I bent them with my fingers because any usage of tools would leave unwanted marks I believe. And yes, I suppose down the line there will be both bikes and jetbikes in this army. :smile.:

Edited by ShVagYeR

• 2 weeks later...

Five down, five more to go in my first unit. I gave the sergeant a bigger plume which I think is an Ork bit or maybe from WFB, I'm not sure. Either way he stands out sufficiently. :smile.: I really like the White Scars helmets from FW. Might give the lightning bolt on his cheek an additional brighter orange highlight because currently it's blending with the gold below a bit too much.

02_tactical_a_05.jpg

And here's the first five models together:

06_tactical_a_firstfive.jpg

bluntblade - Brotherhood of the Endless Steppe! Tartars and Mongols have been very much present in Polish culture and history (example: battle of Legnica) one of the first things that come to my mind when I hear "Mongols" is "steppe". That's where they would come from to loot and pillage. :wink: I think it's a suiting name.

I'm thinking some of the units will be more Chogorian in nature and flavour (like the one above) while other ones will be more rigidly Legion-like and consist of Scars who hail from Terra. I think currently in the books they're all friends again, at least those of sagyar mazan who made it alive to Terra.

Edited by ShVagYeR