Black Library Advent Calendar 2016

DarkChaplain

Anatonix:

Last Son seems to say that he merely has a hint of a scar/swelling around his other eye - that he still has both eyes. I'm not really in the market for gossip about Janus but take that either way

Carach, here's a post from Laurie Golding over at the First Expedition.

I wondered how long it would take for people to start geeking out about this one...  http://f2.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif 

Also, compare the description of Ianius to Supreme Grand Master Janus in 'The Beast Arises' finale.  http://f2.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/wink.gif

(Literally, wink-face)

Hopefully that should clarify things.

I loved that SFX cue, too! The sound designers always do a great job on stuff like that.

For all BL audio dramas, I handle the editorial process and then hand over to Matt Renshaw, our resident producer. Some of you may know him from BL Live this year - he'll be appearing again at future events, I'm sure. He's a really knowledgeable and skilled guy. He manages the freelance sound designers, and gives them specific direction on the sort of thing we need to hear for specific SFX and ATMOS.

I then approve 1st draft mixes, providing feedback on context within the IP/setting. Basically, Matt makes sure it sounds cool, and I make sure it sounds *right* for Warhammer.

Great insider info there. As production is now handled internally (opposed to Big Finish or Heavy Entertainment) what is the decision making process behind the voice actor choices for full audio dramas and straight audiobooks? The production quality really didn't dip when you moved operations internally (huge well done!) but certain actors who used to regularly voice your works have long since disappeared, i.e David Timson, Martyn Ellis, Sean Barret etc... is this due to contractual obligations with those other producers or something else?

I have a (not so secret!) secret hope that you will bring back Martyn Ellis for Crimson King and Master of Prospero... his voice is as synonymous with Magnus as Saul Reichlin's is with Vulkan and David Timson's with Fulgrim & Ferrus Manus happy.png

Did that with sigilite. Don't think I'm falling for those shenanigans again!

That was, what, four years ago? We've gone through two more professional production studios since then...

(and the fact that Big Finish didn't FINISH the production on 'The Sigillite' didn't help that audio drama. Great story, disappointing mix.)

The Sigillite is still among my most listened to audio's from BL. I just recently bought the CD having only had the MP3 for far too long and i still get the willies each time Malcador approaches the gates leading to the war raging beneath the palace of Terra. Such a shame to hear there were issues in production with this one!

I demand More Martyn Ellis and David Timpson (and have written a letter to GW/BL saying sotongue.png ) but I know it's not so easy. Both are superb actors and if we could get Martyn to do all the Magnus voicing I'd be thrilled.

A-hem.

Hopefully, Black Legion will reconcile Helsreach fluff with 6th Edition fluff before Sigismund leaves the mortal coil. Helsreach and Blood and Fire are some of my favorite stories. Returning to that tone will be popular. 

Pretty sure 'The Eternal Crusader' did that? Even the contradictory Codex stuff that made no sense, timeline-wise...

Or do you mean general IP, as opposed to specifics about the chronology of Armageddon? (/Ullanor)

The conversion from ADB's Helsreach to Haley's novels was too abrupt and sudden. Such a MASSIVE alteration of their lore deserved significant exposition in the next novel in the series to patch things over, but the resounding message was 'deal with it, losers' when anybody would express dislike of the changes. The chapter also shifted from 6000 to less than a full strength codex chapter written off as attrition, without explaining what that attrition was, or why we went from every player can have their own Crusade to just three Crusades all on Armageddon, when the previous codex had a crusade fighting the Tau and the Ophidium Gulf happening simultaneously with Armageddon.

I get that fluff changes and Guy is by no means a bad writer, but this was a significant retcon that fundamentally changed the character of the chapter for many people. I spent pretty much every dollar I could spare from the day Codex:BT came out until 6th edition on a chapter I wouldn't have picked if the retconned lore had always been the case.

Just a personal thing. I'm not asking anyone to tell me I'm right. I just passionately wish it hadn't happened.

Edit: for the record I :cuss love that Armageddon is Ullanor. My own personal universe interpretation had always operated with that being the case and the fact it panned out like that is one of the reasons I'm slowly coming back around to 40k.

Wait, Armageddon is Ullanor??

Jesus, when did that happen. I never bothered with Eternal Crusader, maybe I'll check that out. While we are at it, did anyone try and fix the Iron Hands post retcon/'addition' of feelings? :p

I think Guy Haley must have gotten sick of everyone telling him he didn't understand the IP. I know I would have done.

Let's talk about deadpool and how about a movie about penis jokes is a success.

I think this is actually far more interesting than endless films about mutants who fight crime.

I actually enjoyed Guy Haley's stories.

Especially Eternal Crusader.

I mentioned it to him in his FB page.

Also Uncanny Crusade in the Crusaders of Dorn was great.

Lore changed, and I rolled with the punches, ADB Helsreach was great, but it was supplanted by new lore. Still a great read tho.

Not big on Mutants who fight crime. Not even masked Vigilantes who fight crime.

How come no one shoots goddam batman in the teeth?

Taking probability into account it's bound to happen.

Why Darkseid or whatever just does not turn him into a stain in the walk?

That's why I loved Watchmen.

I suddenly have the Simpsons intro in mind. ^^

Three days without . . . Zero days without an accident

We got a good run. What else can we agree on?

Laurie: You did well with hiring Rob. ^^ Will we see other chapters like the Scythes and the Carcharodons getting some love? A simple Yes or No would be enought (I know company secret and the like). ;)

No, it's canon.

Reset the B&C complainer's clock.

You cannot control my head canon, Dorn better be dead! :p

In all seriousness, I just don't want to buy and read those books, but clearly there are some important things being done in them...

I don't suppose you can somehow undo the Perpetuals story line by calling in some favours? :)

I demand More Martyn Ellis and David Timpson (and have written a letter to GW/BL saying sotongue.png ) but I know it's not so easy. Both are superb actors and if we could get Martyn to do all the Magnus voicing I'd be thrilled.

Dude, you're my hero! Never thought of writing to them, time to get some parchment and lay down some ink... or just write an email lol! Either way I'm looking forward to LJG's insight into such matters early next year happy.png

Laurie: You did well with hiring Rob. ^^ Will we see other chapters like the Scythes and the Carcharodons getting some love? A simple Yes or No would be enought (I know company secret and the like). msn-wink.gif

Yes. Ask me again in like, two weeks.

You cannot control my head canon, Dorn better be dead! tongue.png

I don't suppose you can somehow undo the Perpetuals story line by calling in some favours? smile.png

You should see my head-canon. It's considerably different from what I edit and write... and I know the pain of keeping the two separate!

Dorn is definitely dead. But all the rest of the primarchs are alive and having a tea party under the Palace.

And as for the Perpetuals - who do I look like, Eldrad Ulthran?

A-hem.

Whoops. Could we agree it's an Americanised spelling of your surname?

That's nothing yet compared to what they will do with his name in California.

It'll be "Larry" and nothing else. Larry Goldin', pronounced as a "laaaiirryyy".

Archived