WarriorFish's Slaaneshi Daemons

WarriorFish

Well, you're off to a good start with proper terminology :tongue.: Do you mean the general GS approach or more holistically? Most GS work of size starts off with a ball of some kind to work into shape - in this case that is half the work... While this is simpler "on top" work for the model some consideration as to what's underneath, such as the pectoralis major and minor muscles, is needed. I modelled the work on the Diaznette sculpts of course, being the entire point of the it, but Diaz was likely working to the classical art sense in the shape of the "perfect" breast is said to be triangular.

Which makes sense given they represent mortal desire and ideas of perfection, through the convenient medium of space magic. With the armoured side, that's just an alteration of the shape to be more round to reflect the support and shape of the armour. The rest is just experience :smile.:

There are better sculptors than me out there by far, but equally we all start in the same place and they worked hard to get where they are (talent helps along the way...). I might not reach their levels but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try :wink: As long as you're trying to improve you're doing the hobby right and what better way to speed that along than stretching yourself? :thumbsup:

Well, I think you are better at GS than you think! The long road of dabbling with it then more regularly using it in models has taken you to this point - the KoS has a lot of GS work on it and it definitely shows off your experience working with the stuff. As someone who tried GS a few times and gave up take it from me ;)

• 1 month later...

Back again as planned for the next round of projects on the desk with another squad of Daemonettes:

gallery_30308_10249_19502.jpg

I have some more musician parts and should have some larger claws, I may do a couple sets to prepare for the next batch of 10 but I'll see where things take me. I expect I'll get the arms finished by the time the weather is suitable for priming but hopefully soon either way :tu:

Maybe not with this batch, turns out the spray can was on its last legs and the coating was not good :sad.: The plastics were ok at least but I'm going to have to strip these and start again :confused: Not the best start, I'm not sure when I will get round to this as I'm painting other models currently as I can make progress there.

That's unfortunate, perhaps the humid weather didn't help :unsure.:  Hopefully it doesn't set you back too much as you were making fantastic progress with your Daemons. Are the bases salvageable?

Edited by Arkaniss

I'm not sure, the plastic models I primed didn't suffer the same but might have played a part. As the bases are all smoothed over and built up a bit with milliput with the card I'm not sure if they'd like the stripping process, but the base is less important than the model :P

• 2 months later...

Back again, sadly nothing on the Daemonettes (still in the box of shame after the above) but something hopefully just as good: my first game of 9th! :biggrin.:

Slaanesh's Mischief Makers

Hidden Content
+++ Daemons first 750pts (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [38 PL, 5CP, 750pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Chaos - Daemons) ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 2. Incursion (51-100 Total PL / 501-1000 Points)

Chaos Allegiance: Slaanesh

Detachment CP

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Chaos: Malefic talon
. Slaanesh

Keeper of Secrets: Bewitching Aura, Delightful Agonies, Jewel of Excess, Sinistrous hand, Symphony of Pain, Warlord
. Exalted Keeper of Secrets: 2. Quicksilver Reflexes

+ Troops +

Daemonettes: Alluress, Instrument of Chaos
. 9x Daemonette: 9x Piercing claws

Daemonettes: Alluress, Instrument of Chaos

Daemonettes: Alluress

+ Elites +

Fiends: Blissbringer
. 2x Fiend: 2x Dissecting claws, 2x Vicious barbed tail

Necrons

Hidden Content
Some kind of big lord

Some smaller "psyker but not" guy

Warrior squad

Scarabs

The new stabby three legged people

Stabby people's little buffing friend

As you can see, I don't know much about the Necrons further than the general capabilities :tongue.: Ultimately it doesn't matter a great deal given with a mono-Slaanesh force it's not like you have alternate options in handling them :lol: Without the planned extra 10 Daemonettes I was stretching my collection to reach 750pts so first game aside the Keeper was going to be no small part of it. That also means much rests on the Keeper too but I was confident that at lower points there shouldn't be enough fire power to remove her before she gets to act, and as is always the case with Slaanesh once you can make it to combat then you can start clawing it back.

Deployment

Pretty standard, options being limited as they are. My opponent keeps the majority of his forces back but I can get there in a couple of turns - this is how things usually work as an assault army after all. My plan is simple (other than stab things); the Prince will lead two squads to engage the opposite flank and the Fiends can hopefully flank either directly, or loop round behind if I'm extra lucky.

gallery_30308_10077_88833.jpg

I elect to go second and the crons move up cautiously, the Scarabs forming a barrier. I lose most of a squad of Daemonettes but they hold thanks to the KoS.

gallery_30308_10077_110699.jpg

Could have been worse! I roll well for Advances and my forces can move up the table handily and with the Locus assaults follow without much issue.

gallery_30308_10077_163321.jpg

As it happens, the KoS is pretty killy once she reaches combat. The Necron whatshisface is despatched without much effort thanks to D3, and the Fiends blitz the Necron soandso. The Daemonettes struggle as usual, and the Necron stabby guys are pretty mean but 5++ saves can work from time to time.

gallery_30308_10077_139189.jpg

I've secured a good advantage though there's a bit more work to do yet. The Scarabs fall back to obstruct the Keeper allowing the Warriors to take out the remaining Daemonettes. The little guy who supports the larger crons might be the Changeling in disguise as he seems as good at killing them as I am :tongue.: The Prince can hack the remaining ones down without too much trouble.

gallery_30308_10077_143764.jpg

Things look grim for the automatons as the Fiends can slingshot in with aid of the Prince and the wounds start mounting up.

gallery_30308_10077_86581.jpg

The remaining Daemonette doesn't last long (the other two went down on the charge) but the Warriors don't stand a chance. This lets the Fiends do another loop back again and with psychic support the remaining Scarabs are cut to ribbons - victory for Slaanesh!

gallery_30308_10077_118542.jpg

We kept it simpler for a smaller game and learning 9th so I didn't learn a huge amount but getting the experience was good as well as a game after so long! My opponent underestimated the speed of Slaanesh as is common, and as expected the characters and Fiends did most of the work - the Daemonettes seem to mostly be chaff :confused:

It was good to get the Keeper in finally and she did well. Will be harder at larger points no doubt but the 4++ felt like it made a notable difference. I need to get those Daemonettes sorted so I can adapt better to more points, probably another set after that, then maybe something like Seekers perhaps? I keep thinking about a Soul Grinder too, but I should get more of what I have already done :tongue.:

Thanks for the batrep WF!

It's nice when a large centerpiece Chaos assault model like the Keeper is not blown away by shooting on Turn 1. I suspect that in larger numbers the Daemonettes will start to contribute at or above their weight. That's how my Plaguebearers generally work. A Soulgrinder would be a very fun model to paint up and use.

As always, your army is gorgeous.

Thanks Tallarn! Yes numbers are needed for them to weather the storm enough to have some punch but Heralds will do a lot too so I need to sort at least one out before long to go with the additional Troops. The army is fragile which is painful in the seemingly eternally shooty game but once you start getting charges in you can tip the balance back in your favour. Especially if you can make use of the army's speed, Fiends are great for this in particular as aside from zooming around to wherever a Character is they hit quite a bit harder than Daemonettes :smile.:

I should get the other box of them done, but it's still too soon to face that many details again :tongue.: It's not great to rely on a few units to do the real work, but it is better than nothing. I keep thinking of the icon, as being able to add models would go far but it's expensive for what you get :( Maybe I should drop the musician as a discount as I keep forgetting to use it :sweat:

Good to see you win out with your daemonettes against the evil robots - necron will be my most common enemy, and given that I never win against them, this gives me a bit of hope. :)

Thanks for the battle report.

Congrats on the win! I don't know much about the new Necrons either, but it seems your opponent didn't know about the speed of Slaanesh so I think you got the better end of that deal ;)

Perhaps larger squads of Daemonettes would help? In larger points games of course - the plus being you have more points to get more of them too! Since they perish to a stiff breeze finding some more points for extra might help them survive longer and in more numbers to achieve things?

Indeed, I'm always clear on the rules and the like but there's knowing it and then there's seeing it in action I suppose! I definitely need more Daemonettes painted up though I'm not convinced it'll do that much for them overall. They will do more with a Herald to support, numbers will mostly be about letting them get to combat with enough numbers for it to count for something.

With more support from other units it'll probably be better. Seekers to quickly tie up enemy units and the like will assist (though they're squishy too), there's a strong "working in concert" theme to the army I think but when you can get the pieces together they can do well :)

• 1 month later...

I thought I should update here as well with my first daemon! I'm not 100% on the colour scheme yet, I like the lighter colours and the purple but I'm unsure on the pinky orange. The idea was to get some more vibrant colours to be more Slaaenshi, I might just need to see how it looks after some time and ideally another few models to help :smile.:

gallery_30308_10249_27515.jpg

Feeling a little patriotic? :D I noticed the brittish flag in the background. Anyways,looks really cool. Is that perhaps an older s-daemon model? Cuz it looked a bit too..... uhm.... "lightly armored" cough cough..... to be one of the latest GW editions of that model. (The older ones tended to be a bit more like that)

That is my mug, it is seldom far away for some tea - helps ensure you never try and dip a paintbrush in too :P Yes, these are second generation metal Daemonettes by the notable talent called Juan Diaz (hence often called Diaznettes). These were always Daemonettes to me and I've never liked the new ones as they're far too static - not a good thing generally but even worse for something like Daemonettes who are supposed to be fast and graceful :confused:

The plan was originally to get some to summon for my Slaaneshi CSM but as you can see, as is often the case things can easily grow into their own army :lol: It has taken a few years to slowly collect the models for decent prices but patience is a form of excess too right? ;)

I need to get back to some hobby as I've been struggling to find the time and energy, the next batch of Daemonettes are sadly still awaiting stripping to be reprimed :(

• 4 months later...

I got a Seeker Chariot for a good price from eBay with the intention of converting up an Exalted Seeker Chariot. As much as a new option but also to try my hand at the required work. As it happens this would - as is typical for my Chaos - turn into a little bit more...

gallery_30308_10249_68682.jpg

It is the Slaanesh way ;) I can turn this into a couple of chariots if I wish and stick to my plan of converting up an Exalted using some Seeker sprues I have, but I'll need to have a think. Along with the new Slaanesh Daemons we've recently seen (though have yet to get confirmation they will get 40k rules) I am thinking that once I have finished current projects I'll be back here again :)

• 3 weeks later...

Another update of another addition to the plastic mountain: Be'lakor has arrived! :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10249_50826.jpg

As a bonus also some rubble bits. I've been looking for some extra bits and spice for my Chaos bases especially on larger models/bases and these looked like a decent place to start. Not like Be'lakor's base needs it but you know what I mean :tongue.: I am of course keen to get started on him but I'll be good and hold off. There are other projects I should be aiming to finish first plus I feel like he should be a treat to earn.

Perhaps when I get a few more rank and file daemons done? Also I need to sort out how I'm going to paint him too and as is probably common enough knowledge this takes me a few months anyway :laugh.: