The Wolves are coming... Legion VI - Vlka Fenryka by Adam

Thanks MaveriK!

This time, a WIP of my first Destroyer squad member, which I envisioned as black armour with legion grey shoulder pads. It's first time I'm doing black armour actually (not counting small pieces like a single power fist on the assault squad sergeant). How do you like it? It is actually Ehis Grey, toned down with a complete wash of watered down Nuln Oil, following ehin grey drybrush of raised aeras and dawnstone/administratum grey highlights.

9xqwY5ml.jpg?1

gqYBPYCl.jpg?1

Thanks Unknown!

Well, I'm quite satisfied with how the Destroyer came about, this actually is more or less how I imagined them to be. I was thinking initially adding some markings on the armour, however I prefer them being as someone wrote somewhere - not part of a pack, but the property of the legion until their penance ends or they die in battle. So only markings are the wolf and the destroyer symbol, nothing more, nothing less.

Comments welcome as always!

7fLdenKm.jpg?1zf9plNdm.jpg?10yqZakMm.jpg?1jvggUcUm.jpg?1jtHF8kwm.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys!

A few more wolves join the fray, 'been working on them slowly as well as on a Proteus Land Raider, which will also be ready in some time...

Anyway, here are further reinforcements for the Death Squ... I mean Destroyers, only 4 to go :smile.:

tKIe7jTh.jpg?1

pHMaJKPh.jpg?1

yy8bWVoh.jpg?1

...and a few more Grey Slayers for both packs, recognizable by the knee markings:

bzCMVKNh.jpg?1

alpCLm4h.jpg?1

aBkpqKrh.jpg?1

C&C welcome as always! :smile.:

Thanks for the comments guys!

Hot damn this is what I want for my Wolves, thanks for the recipe as the one in the Burning of Prospero painting guide is too light and clean for me.

Gorgeous VIth Legion.

You mean the recipe for the power armour? If you ever use it, shoot a picture and let me know how it went :smile.:

The Drstroyer with the rad launcher gave me the mental image of him firing upon a wounded foe on the ground

Hmmm, now I have the same mental image... and I like it! :devil: 

I love the really weathers look that you have going on with them.

Do you use a sponge or do you do it by brush? Saw these over on fb too. Simply amazing.

Thanks, I use a sponge. The trick is to first do the highlight tone, and after that the dark colour (rhinox hide diluted with lahmian medium in this case). If you do it the other way round, it doesnt work too nicely.

GREAT looking Wolves so far, dude! You have achieved a marvelously gritty finish for them - wow!

Also, thanks for sharing the recipe. May I ask, why the wash of Lahmian Medium? It's just pigment-less paint, so it shouldn't change the colour or texture of the surface, which makes me super curious; why add it? Let us know please! :biggrin.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

These look just how the Wolves should; brutal, vicious and unstoppable. Great work!

Thanks mate! 

GREAT looking Wolves so far, dude! You have achieved a marvelously gritty finish for them - wow!

Also, thanks for sharing the recipe. May I ask, why the wash of Lahmian Medium? It's just pigment-less paint, so it shouldn't change the colour or texture of the surface, which makes me super curious; why add it? Let us know please! :biggrin.:

Thanks!

The Lahmian Medium is very important in this case, as it mats the surface and the following wash of diluted nightshade "sticks" very well to the surface, instead of pooling in recesses. When I first came up with this recipe, I had too little flow control of the wash, making it hard to achieve the proper finish. Discovering the effect of lahmian medium on the pre-wash surface was what made this recipe simple yet effective.

Now you know the secret :wink:

Aha! So it's to downplay the surface tension so the wash's capillary action is reduced. Nice. I've had the same effect with Vallejo Matt Varnish (which you can get in large bottles) - perhaps that's a cheaper alternative for you? :) 

Keep up the great work on those wolves! :D :tu:

Hmm, the lahmian medium/ matte varnish idea sounds like something I could have done with on my current batch of models, as my diluted washes kept disappearing into the recesses which was a pain.

• 7 months later...

Hey Guys!

Haven't been posting for a while now, you know, life... Anyyyyway, I have been slowly painting the Armoured Proteus Land Raider, I loved the build since I first saw it, however, it was a monster to assemble. But the painting was a lot of fun, so it evened out ;-)

Any C&C welcome as always!

974bHKW.jpg?1

JtEDePF.jpg?1

L7BO7qT.jpg?1

w8bXc7u.jpg?1

ZeAJ9yv.jpg?1

oQkTtQS.jpg?1

XrtPk3E.jpg?1

Next up will be a Deimos Predator Tank. Funny thing, I spent literally months painting the land raider, with motivation spikes here and there, but generally was a very slow progres. But as soon as I finished it, I wanted to speed paint another vehicle to the same paint level, and the predator only took me about 2 weeks. Anyone else had such an experience? I'll post the predator as soon as I have the pics done.