Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upcoming BL stuff

• Please log in to reply
3993 replies to this topic

JH79

JH79

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 447 posts
  • Faction: Wardens of Darkness

I'm behind on Omnibus releases right now due to various reasons, but damn if they're not hitting it off nicely with them right now. There was a big gap in omnibus releases which annoyed me, but now they're even reprinting Time of Legends again and seeing Macharius, Ahriman, Deathwatch and co in the wild is great.

It is pretty crazy how many there are coming out this year, though at my rate of reading it takes 2+ months just to make my way through a single omnibus!

I keep hoping there will be a 3rd Ciaphas Cain omnibus too, maybe 2017 / 18 will be the year it finally happens!

Edited by JH79, 15 March 2017 - 09:23 AM.

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 3,552 posts
  • Faction: Hydra

I'm behind on Omnibus releases right now due to various reasons, but damn if they're not hitting it off nicely with them right now. There was a big gap in omnibus releases which annoyed me, but now they're even reprinting Time of Legends again and seeing Macharius, Ahriman, Deathwatch and co in the wild is great.

Soo, you wait all that time to read a story only then omnibuses would be published?

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,768 posts

It depends. I'll often read the first book in a trilogy and find myself getting distracted by other books and not jumping to the 2nd and 3rd anytime soon. When I'm a year or two away from the omnibus release, I often don't bother buying and reading the rest and take my information on the plots from places like these or talking to others. Its basically the same as with the Gathering Storm right now - I didn't read them and am not sure I am inclined to do it, so I ask others or follow discussions of the contents. That way I can stay in the loop while being relatively patient.

But I like owning omnibus editions with their extras. I still haven't finished Ahriman; I read Exile and picked up Sorcerer, but didn't get around to Unchanged because it fell into the post-AoS and marketing brochure timeframe and I couldn't give enough of a damn. Getting to pick up a complete Ahriman Omnibus including all three books plus the short stories means that I can move two trade paperbacks off my shelf, replace them with a slightly thicker omnibus, and have the complete package. Same goes for Legacy of Caliban - I own all three trades, but having the extras in an omnibus and saving space through it is great, and since I enjoyed the books, I don't mind buying a combined edition.

I haven't read the Deathwatch novels, but a few of the short stories that'll make its way to the omnibus, so that's a no brainer at the pricetag.Angel of Fire I picked up in hardback for half the supposed price due to a price error at the retailer, but never felt inclined to buy the rest in the same format, so I was always going to wait for the omnibus, and they took their sweet time with that.

It often is very dependent on extra content whether I bother with the omnibus, but they're great value propositions, especially when I have yet to buy and read the third book in a trilogy.

I'm very happy they're reprinting the Time of Legends omnibuses (though I fear the format will change from the large HH-sized trades to regular omnibuses), because recommending those while they were up for 50-100 bucks on Amazon or ebay was a sodding pain. I bought all ToL up to the format switch in MMPBs, and the three omnibuses (and they're beautiful!). Malekith I actually got twice in MMPB because my original copy got battered in my bag a bit too much, and I own Horus Rising in three formats (though I don't intend to get the omnibus HHs).

There's a bunch of classic omnibuses they've been reprinting lately, like the Word Bearers trilogy and Iron Warriors, or Ultramarines. I got the latter in their original editions, but only Storm of Iron in MMPB and none of the Word Bearers. The upcoming Sisters of Battle omnibus will also be replacing my old Faith and Fire. On that note, one of those days I'll have to take the plunge on the Night Lords omnibus. I don't know, the cover just doesn't excite me as much as Sullivan's art on the MMPBs...

Here's hoping there's actually going to be another print run of Gotrek & Felix's reissued omnibuses soon. I missed out on the run last time, and my battered or german copies just don't hold up next to the final books.

• HeritorA likes this

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 3,552 posts

It depends. I'll often read the first book in a trilogy and find myself getting distracted by other books and not jumping to the 2nd and 3rd anytime soon. When I'm a year or two away from the omnibus release, I often don't bother buying and reading the rest and take my information on the plots from places like these or talking to others. Its basically the same as with the Gathering Storm right now - I didn't read them and am not sure I am inclined to do it, so I ask others or follow discussions of the contents. That way I can stay in the loop while being relatively patient.

But I like owning omnibus editions with their extras. I still haven't finished Ahriman; I read Exile and picked up Sorcerer, but didn't get around to Unchanged because it fell into the post-AoS and marketing brochure timeframe and I couldn't give enough of a damn. Getting to pick up a complete Ahriman Omnibus including all three books plus the short stories means that I can move two trade paperbacks off my shelf, replace them with a slightly thicker omnibus, and have the complete package. Same goes for Legacy of Caliban - I own all three trades, but having the extras in an omnibus and saving space through it is great, and since I enjoyed the books, I don't mind buying a combined edition.

I haven't read the Deathwatch novels, but a few of the short stories that'll make its way to the omnibus, so that's a no brainer at the pricetag.Angel of Fire I picked up in hardback for half the supposed price due to a price error at the retailer, but never felt inclined to buy the rest in the same format, so I was always going to wait for the omnibus, and they took their sweet time with that.

It often is very dependent on extra content whether I bother with the omnibus, but they're great value propositions, especially when I have yet to buy and read the third book in a trilogy.

I'm very happy they're reprinting the Time of Legends omnibuses (though I fear the format will change from the large HH-sized trades to regular omnibuses), because recommending those while they were up for 50-100 bucks on Amazon or ebay was a sodding pain. I bought all ToL up to the format switch in MMPBs, and the three omnibuses (and they're beautiful!). Malekith I actually got twice in MMPB because my original copy got battered in my bag a bit too much, and I own Horus Rising in three formats (though I don't intend to get the omnibus HHs).

There's a bunch of classic omnibuses they've been reprinting lately, like the Word Bearers trilogy and Iron Warriors, or Ultramarines. I got the latter in their original editions, but only Storm of Iron in MMPB and none of the Word Bearers. The upcoming Sisters of Battle omnibus will also be replacing my old Faith and Fire. On that note, one of those days I'll have to take the plunge on the Night Lords omnibus. I don't know, the cover just doesn't excite me as much as Sullivan's art on the MMPBs...

Here's hoping there's actually going to be another print run of Gotrek & Felix's reissued omnibuses soon. I missed out on the run last time, and my battered or german copies just don't hold up next to the final books.

I see. Truly it depends on people preferences. I and a lot of other fans simply read every new story the day they released. It doesn't matter in which format it would be released. All depends on quality of the story.

If it's bad I will simply drop it for good. If it's to my liking I will read it nonstop and all the other books in the series.

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,768 posts

I'm a relatively slow reader for various reasons. I'm happy with finishing a new release within one or two weeks of launch. I have to be more selective about what I dig into and what I just scratch the surface on. So getting new omnibuses is a relief in many ways. No need to rush through books and getting a good price, as well as a neat-looking print.

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 3,552 posts

I'm a relatively slow reader for various reasons. I'm happy with finishing a new release within one or two weeks of launch. I have to be more selective about what I dig into and what I just scratch the surface on. So getting new omnibuses is a relief in many ways. No need to rush through books and getting a good price, as well as a neat-looking print.

Agree. To anyone his own 'abilities' and 'oportunities' to read. Due to life (same as you) and mainly work I could read only instead of sleep. Luckily for me - I read everything BL produced to date. So I can read that 'one' new story they produce in a week.

As for the omnibuses - I was a fan of real books till the moment shipping became  in range of 14 days. And I was waiting for a book while everyone else already read it. So now I read only ebooks - hours after the release.

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,349 posts

Fulgrim: The Palatine Phoenix:

Sixth title in The Horus Heresy: Primarchs series, focusing on Fulgrim, primarch of the Emperor's Children Legion.

Lord of Chemos and bearer of the Palatine Aquila, Fulgrim, primarch of the Emperor’s Children, is determined to take his rightful place in the Great Crusade, whatever the cost. A swordsman without equal, the Phoenician has long studied the art of war and grows impatient to put his skills, and those of his loyal followers, to a true test. Now, accompanied by only seven of his finest warriors, he seeks to bring a rebellious world into compliance, by any means necessary. But Fulgrim soon learns that no victory come without cost, and the greater the triumph, the greater the price one must pay.

Limited Edition hardcover in October. Regular hardcover early January, as per Amazon.

• mc warhammer and DarkChaplain like this

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,768 posts

Steven Savile's Vampire Wars trilogy is getting an omnibus reprint in January too. And all three GG omnibuses so far (The Founding, The Saint, The Lost) over the coming months as well.

And for the Greater Good's sake, they actually let Phil Kelly write a full Farsight novel. As if a novella and his Tau mutilations in Damocles and Blades of Damocles weren't bad enough yet.

"Crisis of Faith" is coming in january for the regular release according to Amazon.

The tau are a mysterious alien race, diametrically opposed to the Imperium of Man in every possible way – in their mastery of technology, methods of warfare and social structure. Yet in galactic terms they are a young race, and naïve when it comes to the manipulations of Chaos. When promising young commander Farsight is promoted to lead a crusade across the Damocles Gulf to reclaim the tau’s lost colonies from mankind, the mood is one of optimism. With their mighty fleet, and superior weapons and machines, how can their endeavour possibly fail? However, despite a parade of early successes, Commander Farsight soon faces enemies he wasn’t anticipating, and finds not only his courage but also his soul tested to the very limit.

Also, peculiarly, Amazon keeps pushing an old entry for Red-Marked on CD further and further out. Somebody missed that it released already and/or removed the old entry from the database.

• HeritorA likes this

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 3,552 posts

Steven Savile's Vampire Wars trilogy is getting an omnibus reprint in January too. And all three GG omnibuses so far (The Founding, The Saint, The Lost) over the coming months as well.

And for the Greater Good's sake, they actually let Phil Kelly write a full Farsight novel. As if a novella and his Tau mutilations in Damocles and Blades of Damocles weren't bad enough yet.

"Crisis of Faith" is coming in january for the regular release according to Amazon.

The tau are a mysterious alien race, diametrically opposed to the Imperium of Man in every possible way – in their mastery of technology, methods of warfare and social structure. Yet in galactic terms they are a young race, and naïve when it comes to the manipulations of Chaos. When promising young commander Farsight is promoted to lead a crusade across the Damocles Gulf to reclaim the tau’s lost colonies from mankind, the mood is one of optimism. With their mighty fleet, and superior weapons and machines, how can their endeavour possibly fail? However, despite a parade of early successes, Commander Farsight soon faces enemies he wasn’t anticipating, and finds not only his courage but also his soul tested to the very limit.

Also, peculiarly, Amazon keeps pushing an old entry for Red-Marked on CD further and further out. Somebody missed that it released already and/or removed the old entry from the database.

they used old entries a lot - that's probably the most real case here.

'GG omnibuses so far (The Founding, The Saint, The Lost) over the coming months as well.' - definitely in preparation for the 'Warmaster' release

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,768 posts

John French just got his copy of the Ahriman Omnibus. It is pretty.

https://twitter.com/...393688538009601

• HeritorA, veterannoob, Kelborn and 2 others like this

Izlude

Izlude

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 282 posts
  • Faction: Evocati Cohort

Damn...I just bought the ebook version of the Ahriman Omnibus. I prefer the hard copies for the good books. I will say I wish the Nightlords Omnibus had a "cooler" cover but otherwise it is an awesome book, finally on Void Stalker, sad it will come to an end. 

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 3,552 posts

John French just got his copy of the Ahriman Omnibus. It is pretty.

https://twitter.com/...393688538009601

Looking really good.

veterannoob

veterannoob

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,019 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard 14th Legion

I read the books in various formats for John's All About Ahriman interview a year ago so I'm sold on the omnibus to have in one place.

• HeritorA likes this

HeritorA

HeritorA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 3,552 posts

I read the books in various formats for John's All About Ahriman interview a year ago so I'm sold on the omnibus to have in one place.

Good point, through you wil need to wait to read it all and  readers who read it on a day of release got their share of joy earlier. It's like the drug addicts.

• veterannoob likes this

R_F_D

R_F_D

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 441 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

July's releases are live Lorgar Primarchs book and John French's inquisitor on the list! 

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,768 posts

Once again have to say I'm bummed by Kelly getting to write more Farsight. Urgh.

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,096 posts

Farsight was one of the highlights of that anthology for me, nothing close to the Fehervari stuff, but it was enjoyable enough compared to some of the less-than-excellent stuff in there, so I'm hopeful Kelly'll do alright this time around.

I was not impressed by Ahriman Unchanged, but French has written a lot of stuff I love so I'm still excited for his Horusian wars stuff, probably the most promising release of that month.

Fingers crossed that Bearer of the Word is another The Emperor Expects rather than a Weregeld, cautiously optimistic for this one.

On a semi-related note, the coming soon page seems to be having a bit of an aneurysm.

Edited by Roomsky, 31 March 2017 - 11:08 PM.

• R_F_D likes this

My webcomic, "Human," can be read here.

[WARHAMMER IS FOR EVERYONE]

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,349 posts

Weird, I don't see the July releases under Coming Soon section.

veterannoob

veterannoob

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,019 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard 14th Legion

Weird, I don't see the July releases under Coming Soon section.

me neither.

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 673 posts
The coming soon page itself was updated up for a little while yesterday, but none of the descriptions were live. The books listed were the Lorgar limited edition, Horusian Wars Resurrection, and Farsight: Crisis of Faith as Roomsky said.

Knockagh

Knockagh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,350 posts
Was the Horusian Wars a limited ed or general release?

R_F_D

R_F_D

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 441 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
Apologies all, came home to see it live and highlighted it here but didn't take screenshots.
Both Logar and Horusian Wars were limited editions from their titles. Not sure as to Farsight. All the links redirected to the July page though so couldn't seen specifics.
From another post I made on a different thread, I'd expect the page to go live this week - almost certainly tomorrow.
  • cheywood likes this

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 673 posts

Apologies all, came home to see it live and highlighted it here but didn't take screenshots.
Both Logar and Horusian Wars were limited editions from their titles. Not sure as to Farsight. All the links redirected to the July page though so couldn't seen specifics.
From another post I made on a different thread, I'd expect the page to go live this week - almost certainly tomorrow.

I don't believe Horusian Wars was a limited edition. If it was Amazon has the regular edition scheduled for release in July as well.

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,768 posts

It was a limited edition. Of the three, the only one not LE was Farsight.

They've been doing limited editions of regular novels almost at the same time as the normal hardbacks recently. Warlord: Fury of the God Machine was just released limited and should be out regularly next week, iirc.

cheywood

cheywood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 673 posts
Oh I didn't see the limited edition part then. I'm just excited for a novel focusing on the internal politics of the inquisition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users