Orgryn Regiment

Trokair

So with the rise of 8th edition I had hoped that Nork Deddog would be a independent HQ choice so that I could run a all Ogryn army with Ogryns and Bullgryns as my mainstay using the Vanguard Detachment.

Sadly Nork Deddog turns out to be an elite.

However I am still interested in the idea, and as Ogryn/Bullgryn have no regiment keyword I though I might just run it as Imperium army and pick a HQ from somewhere else with Ogryn like stats and convert.  Assuming I understand the faction correctly I can build a Battle-forged army with the Imperium keyword and I would just loose the sub faction special rules and similar.

This would only be a small army for quick and friendly games. One converted HQ, one Squad of Ogryns, one or two Bullgryns squads.

I have been scouring the leaks for a suitable HQ and have found two that vaguely fit the bill.

Mephiston – his sword has stats similar to a Thunderhammer so I can see converting a Bullgryn to have a slab shield (for the 2+ Save) and a Thunderhammer (I think I have a spare Dreadknight hammer somewhere).  Two of the psychic powers would only be able to target himself, but that is ok

Karamazov- he has a leadership bubble for Imperium, similar stats, and I can convert a suitable Powersword and Multi-melta. He is however a vehicle

So my question are:

Will this work from an army construction point of view.

Any other ideas for HQ choices.

The army lacks anti tank/MC/tough stuff, any suggestions.

Well the idea has been going round my head all day so I have had another look through the spoilers to see if I can find any units with Ogryn like profiles.

Kataphron of both types have very similar stat line and have the same cost per model as Bullgryns (before equipment of course). So they could give me some longer ranged shooting.

Centurions while costing a lot more before weapons (and even more after) have a similar profile. Considering that slabshields now give a 2+ save I think count as conversions of Bullgryns with shield in one hand and appropriate weapons in the other could work. Devastators could give me long range firepower with Lascannons while Assault versions can give me heavy hitters for large point games.

So messing around with the spoiler I have made a 1000p list and a 1500p list. The second one has less actual Ogryn/Bullgryns and more count as.

List 1   –  1000p

Vanguard Detachment – Keyword Imperium

HQ

Mephiston   –  145p

Karamazov   –  150p

Elite

3 Ogryn (3x Ripper Gun)  –   90p

4 Bullgryn (4x Bullgryn Maul and Slabshield/Bruteshield)  –  168p

3 Bullgryn (3x Bullgryn Maul and Slabshield/Bruteshield)  –  126p

3 Bullgryn (3x Grenadier Gauntlet and Brute shield/Slabshield)  –  135p

Troop

3 Kataphron Breacher (2x Heavy Arc Rifle and Arc Claw, 1x Torsion Cannon and Hydraulic Claw)  –  179p

Total: 993p

List 2   –  1500p

Vanguard Detachment – Keyword Imperium

HQ

Mephiston   –  145p

Karamazov   –  150p

Elite

4 Ogryn (4x Ripper Gun)  –   120p

4 Bullgryn (4x Bullgryn Maul and Slabshield/Bruteshield)  –  168p

3 Bullgryn (3x Grenadier Gauntlet and Brute shield/Slabshield)  –  135p

Troop

3 Kataphron Breacher (2x Heavy Arc Rifle and Arc Claw, 1x Torsion Cannon and Hydraulic Claw)  –  179p

3 Kataphron Destroyer(2x  Heavy Grav-Cannon and Cognis Flamer, 1x  Heavy Grav-Cannon and Phosphor Blaster)  –  225p

Heavy Support

3 Centurion Devastator Squad (2x Hurricane Bolter and two Lascannons, Sergeant: Centurion Missile Launcher and two Lascannons)  –  378p

Total: 1500p

Thank you, the second list does feel more rounded, but I do worry that I am stretching a bit far with the Centurions, as cool as the conversion potential might be.

Instead I have been trying to think of finding some vehicle that Ii can convert with a ogryn driver to provide some long range support. Any ideas?

In the meantime, bought two boxes of today, so I could get a good look at individual components, here is a mock-up with blutac for a Mephiston count as. Big hammer for the strength times two combat weapon, shield for the 2+ save. Not sure how to do the plasma pistol yet, might just strap a plasma gun to his side as an ogryn sised pistol.

gallery_29932_13153_61282.jpg

Looks good

For the plasma Pistol you could take one of the sponson plasma guns off a Leman Russ and then with a bit of crafty knife work you can modify one of the Bullgryn bolters to incorporate it. 

It should be about the right scale. Ive got both bits lying around if you need any size comparisons

Looks good

For the plasma Pistol you could take one of the sponson plasma guns off a Leman Russ and then with a bit of crafty knife work you can modify one of the Bullgryn bolters to incorporate it. 

It should be about the right scale. Ive got both bits lying around if you need any size comparisons

Thank you for the idea.

I doubt I will use it as a plasma pistol, but I might do something similar when I do the Kataphron Destroyer count as conversions.

Currently contemplating how to convert an Ogryn to represent a Sentinal for long range firepower. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good

Thank you for the idea.

I doubt I will use it as a plasma pistol, but I might do something similar when I do the Kataphron Destroyer count as conversions.

Currently contemplating how to convert an Ogryn to represent a Sentinal for long range firepower. 

maybe have an ogryn  hefting an auto cannon /missile rack r/ flamer  like 

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRalhm_qsDMoyHhjqUL8wr874pPw84ldEjETzwc6x4x7jjotGpjOduSEgU

Edited by Glomshark

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good

Thank you for the idea.

maybe have an ogryn  hefting an auto cannon /missile rack r/ flamer  like 

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRalhm_qsDMoyHhjqUL8wr874pPw84ldEjETzwc6x4x7jjotGpjOduSEgU

Heavy weapon and some form of ammo backpack (so that the ogryn can explode on a roll of 6) should be easy enough to do/convert. My main concern for a count as Sentinel is how to represent the higher movement stat. 

Thanks for the interest. 

Edited by Trokair