Morticon

Aye, Phoros is pretty excellent, but strangely he doesn't have the Chapter Master special rule, so no rerolls to hit. He does have the Chapter Master keyword, so he hasn't been sneakily demoted. I've posted on the FW Facebook page, but don't hold your breath.

Aye, Phoros is pretty excellent, but strangely he doesn't have the Chapter Master special rule, so no rerolls to hit. He does have the Chapter Master keyword, so he hasn't been sneakily demoted. I've posted on the FW Facebook page, but don't hold your breath.

Well he's actually more of a company commander with what's left of them...

:teehee:

• 1 month later...

Does anyone else think that the reason our units are overpriced in comparison to other assault based armies is perhaps because of the number of aura's availabe to us, and that GW have made the mistake of essentially charging BA players twice for them (once in the cost of the unit that generates the aura, and once in the cost of the unit that receives the aura)?

I.E: Death Company by themselves are very average in terms of stat line / rules, and expensive in points. But buffed by Lemerates for rerolls on charge, and a Priest for extra strength and potential revive, and Dante, for rerolls on failed hit rolls, is a really solid unit...

So DC are priced at their potnetial even though without all the support they are very average.

The problem being that Blood Angels seem to be the only army where this double points costing mechanic seems to occur. Essentialy we pay twice for our buffs where as everyone else only pays once.

Edited by SM1981

Paying for potentially is something that has plagued us for so long.

It's like the old Plasma Pistol costs (but now Inferno Pistols).

It's also totally out of whack, because even our premier combat units (DC/ SG) now only remain somewhat average with the overlapping auras of minimum 2 or so characters...

Plasma pistols are just something GW is set at always costing the same, even in cases like the old Raptors, where for 2/3rds of the price, you could take a meltagun in addition to your bolt pistol, which was a superior choice in literally every way. They've always struggled in how to price units that can be buffed, or that have randomised stats/effects as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I was happy to see Malakim Phoros get a mention, I just stumbled onto his rules recently. He goes so so well with DC dreads and fragiosos, it is a shame they are so costly. Still, stick him in with a bunch of heavy flamer/combi-flamer tacticals, or even in the back field with a captain and a gunline.

I'd like to mention the FW chaplain dread, also. He grants +1S to friendly units in the same combat as him. I'm not sure it qualifies as an aura, but worth a mention since we can get a priest buff in there for another +1S

I think I agree. The auras all sound great, until you realise how expensive it is to take them all. A large squad of DC or SG backed by 2-3 characters makes a very strong unit, but there go all your points. Especially in smaller games where you're looking at smaller units it's simple not cost effective to combine it all.

In larger games there might well be room to run a big unit, support it with a couple of auras and still have enough space to get board coverage and flexibility but most games are played at what... 1k - 1.5k?

I could see BA replicating a bit of a 'death star' in a nice big 4k game where characters don't drain the budget so much, but not many people have the time (or models) to play that.