WAAAAGH GorGak! invades the B&C.

Warhead01

Edit, 9th edition stuff starts here.  Page 17, post number 404. 

Hello!  
First I'll reintroduce myself. Once upon a time and for many years I was uberwolve here on the B&C. 
I just changed my name because it's the one I use nearly everywhere else. 

I've been playing Orks Since 3rd edition and suffered through the last 3 editions as best I could. 
I was ready to get rid of everything and then the announcement came. 8th edition was coming! 
And 8th edition is here! I played my first two games yesterday and enjoyed both of them. It was refreshing.

This will be an ongoing thread. 

The first game was only 1000 points just to get my feet wet. 
As in editions before there are things that play out much as you expect they would regardless of the rules changes. 
For example feeding the enemy one unit at a time, which they then destroy goes as you'd expect...Poorly. 
But I quickly learned what my opponent had in mind and tried out a few of the new rules.  
Having lost the game but successfully probed his head movies for "tactics."  
That's right. He was going to have a huddle around a commander to get reroll 1's and hid behind a wall of razerbacks... and shoot me to bitz! 
 I did however manage to BBQ his commander with my Burna Boys! (Take that!)

I managed to get slay the warlord and that's it.  We called it in 3 turns, he had a blast!  

Game two.
1500 points. 
I traded out a few units and were were ready to go. Secure and control, table quarters (Old school cleanse deployment.)

I deployed in a corner packing the trukk, Battle Wagon Weirdboy, 30Boys and 3 Kannons with krew under my KFF. (Easily and with room left over.) 
I put Komandos and 2 solo Deff Koptas in (what ever it's called where you don't have to set them up)... reserve/outflanking/hiding/scouting/ 
I wasn't sure where to put my 30 Stormboys but they were forward and to my right side. I set up 15 grot in front of my kannons and 10 more on my objective. Burnas boys and Banner Nom were in the trukk and 4 Nobs with big choppas were in the Wagon. 

Whitescar Space Marines went first. Two Stomtallons?(the small ones) came right up and started shooting. Killing loads of Stormboys. (Who were being bossed around by Zagstruk.) Over all my opponent was trying to figure out what to do. He'd changed his commander on foot out for the same but on Bike and added a biker Chaplin.(And the two flyers)

Ork turn. Lunch time! Burna boys hop out of their trukk, now acting as two mobs of 5 burnas. Trukk and Battle wagon move out towards the enemy as fast as they can. Stormy boys set up to charge the flyer on my right (Burnas were looking at the one on the left.) 
Weirdboy gets +2 to casting Da Jump and sends to Boys all the way to the other side of  the table.9" 1MM away from the Marines rear Rhino. I decided to bring up all my reserve units right then and right there as well. Now I have 4 units right to his rear right flank. 
Shooting. Burna boys cook the heck out of the Storm talon. (I learned in game one that 1 mobs of 5 is actually better than 1 mob of 10. Rolling 1 D3 for each mob gives me, it seems, better odds of more shots. I managed a might 1 for one mob and 2 for the other 5, 10.) The storm talon was left with 1 wound remaining.  My Storm boys charged his other flyer and made contact then Zagstruk charged as well. Both units were as close as they could get so the charges were easily made.  

The boys mob managed a might 12" roll for their charge range and contacted the rhino and the Chaplin and avoided dragging other nearby units into combat, much to the dismay of the Space Marine player. (A lesson in model placement.) 
The rhino was left with one wound. The Orks rolled out 92 attacks, none bothered to try to swing at the Chaplin. Hitting on 3+ is amazing. Wounding on 5+ is old hat. We're used to it.  An amazing first turn that left a very shocked opponent. (Terror is my favorite weapon. Shock and Awe! ) 
The drags the space marines into combat for the next 3 turns while the Orks fight for all their worth!  Form this point on he has no real plan. His storm talons go to hover mode, Shoot poorly and try to move a bit. Nothing much. One tries to run off really far to my right to escape the storm boys.

His shooting is fairly pointless over all. His army is locked down. 
My next turn the trukk and battle wagon move into charge position , transported units get out.( in the correct order) 
My bruna boys ran towards the Battle wagon with plans to get on board as soon as they could get close enough. (1 mob of 5 remain at that point.) And Huzza for assault weapons that don't roll to hit! Burnas hit the talon 10 times and it explodes! My kannons  take aim and hit the other talon 3 times wound 3 and 2 get through, it had taken 2 damage already. Kannons roll a total of 9 damage. KA-BOOM! Talon no more!  
Charge phase.
Wartrukk charges a Razorback as does the Wagon (with Deff Rolla.) Truk makes it in, wagon rolls in(No over watch against the battle wagon thanks to the trukk!)  My Big choppa  Nons charge and can all fight. My def Koptas and komanado were all stuck in at this point ( it's all a blur what turn is this? haha.) Long story short, the Rhino transport had been destroyed, my Kopptas were in and only one had been wounded my Komandos had killed an attack bike. (Marines have too few attack to divide up and do much with.) 
He had two units of 5 in the rhino of which 4 models got out due to disembarking and not having room for more models. (Good tactic, play it right and it could do more for you.)  The scrum was on and the clock was running out. I was nearly out of boys bur had enough units still there to tie him up and fresh units rolling in, the war trukk and Battle wagon. Deff rollin down maines several units buffed by the WAAAGH banner nob. he game came to a close with my 4 units on his objective to his one commander. He wanted to call the game, just like he always does before he takes a big loss, I played out my turn for the win. I owned both objectives and had line braker, he had first blood. Neither warlord had been killed. 

This battle report was all over the place, I'll do better next time. 

Lessons.

Burna Boys are Madness! 

Da Jump is fantastic! 
30 boys isn't enough. Needs more Orks in my list. 
30 Storm Boys has a place but I probably could have done more with less. 
Single unit Deff Koptas work. 

Remember how forced Disembarkation works. First you see how many models you can set up with in 3", the rest are dead, now roll to see how many of the models you set up live or die. 4 of his models got out but it could have been 4 in any combination from the models of either unit.

A Re Roll can be a single dice. and you can't reroll a reroll. So no spending a command point to reroll one dice and then using a reroll on two dice(as in charge distance)

Fixing a vehicle is done at the end f the movement phase and by models outside and within 1" of a vehicle.

Big Choppa Nobs mob is kinda cool!

Remember to use command points when it looks like you may super fail a LD test! Keeping models from "running off" is good. Would have maybe been good for keeping his models locked up in combat but it's a double edged sword. It could draw them closer to where you don't want them. 
My opponent has now played 4 games. His plan to hide his squads behind T7 rhino walls was and is to be expected. Easy plan for deployment seems reasonable. He seemed shocked at the loss of his commander in the first game and his Chaplin in the second game. Both provide some kind of buff. 
Remember to look for ways to shut those down. 
None of my characters died or were even wounded. 

WAAAAAAGH Da 8th edition Orks!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! 

Thanks for reading.  More Mayhem to come! 

Hope to have pictures next time. 

Edited by Warhead01

Interesting battle reports. Looking forward to read the next one, and if you remember to take some pictures that would be great:smile.:

Thank you. My phone camera didn't seem to get good pictures. I'll be looking for a new Digi cam this year. 

My current cameras, we'll just have to see how things turn out.

There will be more Battle Reports and pictures of work in progress. 

You'll probably get some more games in before my books show up.

I'm surprised about the Burna Boyz. I love the models and theme (burny dance!).

I think Stormboyz turn 1 DS with Zagstruk nearby sounds good with reroll charges. They didn't seem to do much for you though.

I prefer the horde setup, but I wonder if a mechanized infantry list could at all work?

Maybe a big mob of Boyz, then several 10-12 man squads in Trukks? Might not be viable with Morale.

You'll probably get some more games in before my books show up.

I'm surprised about the Burna Boyz. I love the models and theme (burny dance!).

I think Stormboyz turn 1 DS with Zagstruk nearby sounds good with reroll charges. They didn't seem to do much for you though.

I prefer the horde setup, but I wonder if a mechanized infantry list could at all work?

Maybe a big mob of Boyz, then several 10-12 man squads in Trukks? Might not be viable with Morale.

I wish!  I'm planning for some time next month probably near the end of the month. I don't have free time for more games because of the drive to the shop about an hour forty.

Just think of the burnas as not flamers. I kinda think of them as assault lootas that hit for free.  I'm curious to see what 12 in a trukk can do. (using command points for more hits.)

I can't find anything about Storm boys Deep Striking. I was just advancing and charging. It's early days for them. 

Same here. Love the large mobs...Addicted....  I do plan to try our some kind of trukk list to change things up once I become predictable. 

I was very impressed with the trukk and the battle wagon. 

Good to see you over here Warhead! I followed your threads (as Itinerate Ork) on the WAAAGH and look forward to seeing your reports and models here!

WAAAAAGH! Da some one who knows whats about to happen! WAAAAGH! 

haha. This thread will be like my other one over there. Very long term and hopefully full of picture dumps, battle reports and what have you. I tend to make my "same posts" slightly different, which I'll keep in mind to keep things entertaining. 

Thanks for reading! 

Stormboyz have no rule for coming in from reserve. Thank goodness they are so fast.

I've only got one game with burnas, but they were hot and cold. I ran 10 in a trukk, first turn got a 6" advance, got to just within 8" of the enemy unit, rolled a 3 for the shots, and just completely smoked an enemy unit for first blood. Later that same game, against a similar target, I rolled a 1, and was sorely disappointed.

Anecdotal, but I have a feeling that's how Burnas are going to go. Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if trukks weren't as expensive as they are now, though I'm not complaining about better trukks. Just that over 200 points for unit that can have such wild swings is a difficult pill to swallow. I'm guessing that for the Ork players out there that liked Lootas, it'll be worth doing. For those that never quite enjoyed Lootas, well, Burnas are the close range, anti-infantry version.

I was wondering about the Deep Strike. I chose Storm boys because of their speed. I have to put in some time with the to figure out how to best use them. Right now I'm thinking it might be a good idea to divide them into 6 units of 5 for a game to see how that goes. And put a pain boy near each mob. Maybe 3 units of 10. Sadly I need one unit there just to eat fire power to save the rest. I might be able to do the same thing with a mob of boys. (Full mob) Deploy them in a line in the front with a Weirdboy in range to port them. (Like bate.) And a Battle wagon near by that that survivors can get into. Just to keep my options open. What ever the answer is. haha I'll sort it out.  
I've even though about hiding them behind a vehicle wall.  

I get what your saying about the points cost ect. it's like 252 for that (or more.) I've wanted to try Lobbas for a few years but have never owned any. I like my Kannons. I'l probably get a few more. Big Bada Boom!  

I can't express enough just how cool it's been to roll out the Orks and have such a good game! I did not win the first one but who cares! The first handful of games are all about learning the new stuff.  Exciting times indeed!

Dang, you gitz is right! No DS for da Stormboyz.

Oh well, jumping them across the board seems good enough. If anything, you can use them as mobile "synapse" as you approach.

I really like the new LD mechanic for Orks.

How about a Meganobz bomb with Da Jump from a Weirdboy? I've heard all the 30-man Boyz squads with Da Jump, but a new MANZ Missile type of strat might work.

Speaking of the old MANZ Missile, how do we feel about it now?

It's more expensive, and big vehicles like Land Raiders are unlikely to be oneshot, but the Meganobz and the Trukk are tougher, and they could be used to dent a Monster or Vehicle down a scale on the degrade table. Not claiming it's still good, just curious what ya'll think?

That's a good question. I have no idea.

I had though about Da jumping them over as well. I've read mix to poor outlook regarding MANZ. Power klaws seem to be less good now, Kill saws are maybes.
I see them as a Kombi skorcha platform mostly but I think Orks have to min/max. Some units just seem to want to be small while other...want to be maxed out. Just first impressions.

I guess I see them as a strong second wave and probably better at killing vehicles (Or monsters) than squishies. Their speed isn't high so for sure they'll need some help in that department. Right now I a little phobic of over investing points into low model count units. I think the Trukk and even the Deff Kopta really surprised me. Fa more durable than I had expected. (So far so good?)

Either way you we have to set up the fights we want and fight were we'll win them. Bully stuff and out number enemy units to force them to split their dice. (Until that doesn't work anymore...lol.)

Today I've reequipped a Boss. He now has a Power Klaw and a Big Choppa! (I'm open to counting it as a choppa for the extra attack.)

gallery_3442_13347_88366.jpg

More Mayhem to come!

Loving the Warboss! What's next? :smile.:

Thank you. 

Yesterday  I started work on 4 bubble Chukkas, replacing the weapons parts on 4 KMK's to do that. I also started on one more Deff Kopta. I had 1 KMB left over, Not I have 3 Deff Koptas with Kustom Mega Blasters. (chosen for their low points cost.)  I've also been rounding up bitz. I need another Shoota arm for an old Metal WAAAGH Banner nob but have only found one so far. (I've misplaced my Nob bitz. )  

I also found I had 2 Deff Rollas still on the frames. 

Not really a lot of new projects yet, I'm trying to get this Mek Shop back in gear! I have loads and loads of Grot gunners I need to build and paint. 

(Now that we have to use 5 gunners for each Mek Gun.) 

I'm also thinking about rebasing my entire collection. 

Loving the Warboss! What's next? :smile.:

Thank you. 

Yesterday  I started work on 4 bubble Chukkas, replacing the weapons parts on 4 KMK's to do that. I also started on one more Deff Kopta. I had 1 KMB left over, Not I have 3 Deff Koptas with Kustom Mega Blasters. (chosen for their low points cost.)  I've also been rounding up bitz. I need another Shoota arm for an old Metal WAAAGH Banner nob but have only found one so far. (I've misplaced my Nob bitz. )  

I also found I had 2 Deff Rollas still on the frames. 

Not really a lot of new projects yet, I'm trying to get this Mek Shop back in gear! I have loads and loads of Grot gunners I need to build and paint. 

(Now that we have to use 5 gunners for each Mek Gun.) 

I'm also thinking about rebasing my entire collection. 

It's really interesting to me how big the changes are for Orks with the new edition. Bubblechukka was next to useless in the old rules and now it should at least be fun to use, if not outright scary. I am a bit annoyed about the gunner requirement, since it means I have to convert up a lot more crew, and the swings in weapon cost but I guess that's to be expected.

For MANz, did you mean they're less effective in general due to the PK changes and removal of instant death rules or they're less effective than they used to be compared to the improved Boyz? I've got a full Bully Boyz formation worth of them and was looking forward to seeing how that worked now we can charge out of vehicles again.

It's really interesting to me how big the changes are for Orks with the new edition. Bubblechukka was next to useless in the old rules and now it should at least be fun to use, if not outright scary. I am a bit annoyed about the gunner requirement, since it means I have to convert up a lot more crew, and the swings in weapon cost but I guess that's to be expected.

For MANz, did you mean they're less effective in general due to the PK changes and removal of instant death rules or they're less effective than they used to be compared to the improved Boyz? I've got a full Bully Boyz formation worth of them and was looking forward to seeing how that worked now we can charge out of vehicles again.

It'll be a lot of work Grot gunner as far as the eye can see. I have 12 Mek Gunz and never painted a single gunner. (I just put two of my old grots next to the guns.) But I do want to get them painted, still have to build a bunch of them. And they're so small. 

Arg? haha.

I have 30 MANZ in all 9 of them with twin Kill Saws but now I'm rethinking a lot. I think I'll change 5 of them to Power Klaws and Kombi scorchas. 

Unless I already have some like that in metal, then I'll just use those and worry about changing things later. 

I just see them as an anti infantry role with a secondary roll of combat. the Key,I think, is that they are going to be a "second unit in". Not my primary charging unit. Send in the boys first to set up the fight and make it safe for the MANZ to go in and pick their target. They'll be riding in a Trukk. I think the Trukk is less threatening now than my Battle Waggon. (My usual opponent(Scrumgrod) is a cheese monger and the look on his face was priceless when the Deff Rolla kept busing him up.  (And a good time was had by me!  :teehee:  Seriously untill last weekend I haven't won more than 10 games in 2 years....:wacko.: And he tries to quit every time I'm going to either win huge or table him! :verymad:  You could say he's had it coming!:wink: * ) 

*Silly faces to show the severity of it all..this is serious business. 

Thanks Boss!

This thread is intended to run along closely with my threads over at Da WAAAGH! Over there I usually have a thread showing my work in progess. This one will be slightly more like blog. 
Usually I post pictures right to my Blog and share a few and drop in a link.  

I've just updated my blog. Most of the pictures you've seen here already. there are just a few I didn't post here. 
Here's the link.

I'm planning to do one blog link a month kinda recapping what ever I've been working on. 

wip update.

I just brought another Metal Burna boy in to make another Kill saw Mek. I'll probably only have the two. I can't see a reason to have more of them than I will likely use in a game.

More progress when it happens.