It's been a long while since my last update. I've been busy working away on things so huge update below!
I got all the terrain built ready for painting. With the way 40k terrain rules now work I tried to make lots of line of sight blocking buildings. I've still got a few bits left over and once i've got the main parts painted up I plan on making a load of scatter pieces.
Here are some photos I took of the board in my test layout.
With everything built I then began the process of spraying everything. About 15 cans of Halfords, Army Painter and GW
spray later everything was primed and had a base colour. I was fairly lucky as the weather was nice an warm so the coats dried quickly. To speed up painting the board I masked off and sprayed as much of the main colours as I could.
For the industrial buildings I opted for Army Painter Chaotic Red, which is a dark almost brown red. I feel it works nice with the grey and blue i'm using for other things. I found that a fairly quick way to paint things this colour is to apply random spots of nuln oil then drybrush with Golgfag Brown. The problem I had with it was that the red has a smooth almost gloss finish that made it so that my dry brushing just wasn't sticking very well, however it did go on nice over the parts I washed. Because of this I decided to apply a spray of purity seal to a test piece and try the highlights again. This time the drybrushing worked a charm so I went on an sprayed all the red parts. Sadly I got some of the dreaded frosting on some parts but i'm hoping I can hide it with washes.
I took some photos of the tests but they are over the size limit to upload and i'm too lazy to resize them.
I then decided to paint up a couple of buildings, mostly because I wanted to try some water effects on my chemical plant.
I then made a start on the board tiles getting all the base colours down and finished the paths. The folks at White Dwarf released some handy guides which I made use of for some of the colours.
All the terrain painting was starting to drive me a bit nuts. At this point I realised that I wasn't going to get the board ready for my games at the end of August and I didn't want to rush things so I decided to build and paint up the models from a boardgame as a treat.
After that it was back to the board tiles and I pushed on and got the bulk of the work on them done. I also finished off a tile to make sure I was happy with everything before doing the other 5. The one thing I didn't like is the grey rubble/rocks. I just wasn't happy with the texture of it and wasn't sure if it would be better in brown. It was a bit of a pain but I decided to apply sand to the grey rock areas and re-paint it all in brown.
Once again I was going a little crazy painting the boards. I think a lot of the problem is that my painting desk isn't that big so swapping the tiles over when batch painting things is a pain. Anyway I opted to take another break and painted up a model from another boardgame.
With the Rat Ogre finished I made the final push on the board tiles.
Quite happy with how they turned out and i'm looking forward to spilling the blood of some Blood Angels on it soon.
Next up I think I will paint the containers.
Edited by GawFang, 25 September 2017 - 07:55 AM.