Our Brand is Vengeance - A Primaris Plog

Well done.

Thank you!

Microsol and Microset can really help with decals.

Looking great. As an aside is there any reason you don't drill out the gun barrels?

Word, i used 'ard coat for the gloss base, then microset, then sol on top a few times, then made some relief cuts, then a couple coats of medium to kill the gloss.

Re Gun barrels, i don't have the little hand drill and didn't want to try using my regular power drill.

Any sort of gloss varnish first is great. I actually use Klear floor polish (works good as a seal for oil/turpentine washes too).

I think I used sol first to soften the decal and smoothed it over the shoulder pads, then set to re-glue/set it when happy with positioning, and then when dry a matt finish to take off the shine. It has been a while though.

Pin vice drills are usually fairly cheap. In the UK at least. I can see some for £4.95 with free P&P & 20 pin drills included. I couldn't cope without one, barrels aside I couldn't pin any resin components to plastic ones, or do leg extensions, or keep heads detached until I was absolutely sure I had the facing right.

If you do get one just remember any excessive shearing force and they snap, whether titanium coated or not, and then you end up gouging your fingers. Less likely these days with white metal gone the way of the dodo but the amount of times I maimed my fingers and needed a tetanus boost due to metallic spall in my fingers...well, that was just twice but you get the idea.

Actually stay away from pin vice drills, they are capricious tools that bite the hand that owns them :smile.:

Rambling aside keep at it, those Primaris look great.

Any of the multi-part kits tempting you?

Any sort of gloss varnish first is great. I actually use Klear floor polish (works good as a seal for oil/turpentine washes too).

I think i used sol first to soften the decal and smoothed it over the shoulder pads, then set to re-glue/set it when happy with positioning, and then when dry a matt finish to take off the shine. It has been a while though.

Pin vice drills are usually fairly cheap. In the UK at least. I can see some for £4.95 with free P&P & 20 pin drills included. I couldn't cope without one, barrels aside I couldn't pin any resin components to plastic ones, or do leg extensions, or keep heads detached until I was absolutely sure I had the facing right.

If you do get one just remember any excessive shearing force and they snap, whether titanium coated or not, and then you end up gouging your fingers. Less likely these days with white metal gone the way of the dodo but the amount of times I maimed my fingers and needed a tetanus boost due to metallic spall in my fingers...well, that was just twice but you get the idea.

Actually stay away from pin vice drills, they are capricious tools that bite they hand that owns them :smile.:

Rambling aside keep at it, those Primaris look great.

Any of the multi-part kits tempting you?

I had used my big power drill for magnetizing a leviathan and somehow managed to do it without drilling into my body parts, lol.

I'll be grabbing a multi-part kit of the intercessors because i want a third squad for my battalion detachment.  Not sure about  the hellblasters or inceptors.  As much as i like the inceptors, i find them hard to work into army lists due to their expense.

I'm with Marius, when do we get to see your take on Aggressors/Inceptors/Reivers? Admittedly, I think the models are :yucky: personally, but if anyone can pull them off, it'd be you.

Oh don't you worry!  I have a squad of aggressors next in line and the DI inceptors sitting on the tray too.  I love the aggressor models, so i'm pretty excited to work on them.

Have you seen the inceptors in person?  I thought they looked pretty wonky in pictures, but in person i really like them.

I've got all of the primaris models so far except the rievers (hit a snag ordering them then didn't get around to re-ordering).  So they'll all make it into this thread at some point.

Cool, looking forward to seeing what you do with the last of the DI stuff and the new kits.

It is threads like yours that make me want to get my chaos done faster so I can build my DI and 3 boxes of 1st Strike stuff (especially as I prepped to do UMs myself for 6/7th). Well almost tempted, having too much fun gluing spines on things :)

Finished!

gallery_92768_13434_9439.jpg

gallery_92768_13434_130626.jpg

gallery_92768_13434_924087.jpg

This is the first attempt at the crystal sword effect. At first i wasn't happy at all with it, the blends were really rough. Then i remembered talking to someone here about paitning lightening on swords and how that can help hide :cussty blends, so i thought, why not? I threw on some of these shimmer lines a la Duncan's witch blade video and man, it really made it look a lot better. Below is a shot before the lines so you can see how rough the blends were.

gallery_92768_13434_566585.jpg

For those interested, the recipe on the sword is:

1. Sotek Green Base
  2. Drakenhoth shade over that
  3. Sotek Green thinned with medium to make the first set of stripes
  4. Temple Guard Blue thinned with medium to make the second set of stripes
  5. Baharroth blue on the edges and down the middle
  6. Then I did 3 layers of Waywatcher Green trying to tie it together
  7. Baharroth Blue on the edges against becuase all the green had really dulled it down
  8. Baharroth Blue to make the shimmer lines
  9. Blue Horror to make little dots on the shimmer lines where they cross the middle of the sword and also on the edges at the tip of the sword
  10. One thin coat of Waywatcher green to tie it all together

They look really nice. If you want the bases to pop a little more, that Agrellan Earth texture paint cracks more dramatically the thicker it's applied.

Thanks, ya, still getting hang of applying them. I got the box of skulls too and I might throw a few around on the bases to add some dimension, or maybe some small rocks.

Great job on the LT .:yes:

Thanks!

Great affect of the Lt power sword. Crisp work as always.

Thank you! Ita amazing how a little thing can change the whole look of it, I was really unhappy with how it turned out before I did the shimmer lines, which I hadn't planned on doing from the start. Can't wait to do the next one!

• 5 weeks later...

Finnaly got back to work on these guys! Going through my hellblaster squad now. Decided to make one of the helmeted dues the sargent for more red hats. I'm going to use one of the purity seals from the UM upgrade spure to set off his gun a little.

gallery_92768_13434_112117.jpg

I'm also super happy with this guy's face/head turned out. I tried out the 50/50 dawnstone/lahmian medium technique for stubble that Duncan has in one of his videos. I might go darker with the next one and use eshin grey instead of dawnstone.

gallery_92768_13434_1289297.jpg

gallery_92768_13434_392721.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I was indeed able to get all the bodies done this week and start in on the guns. Here's the sarge all ready to accept his arms. After that we'll do decals. I am thinking i should have this squad finished up by the end the of the weekend and then i'm going to tackle the librarian next.

gallery_92768_13434_71743.jpg

Archived