The Xentath Offensive: BlueBelly1863 and Son of Carnelian

M41.99 +++ Thought for the Day: Brave are those who know everything yet fear nothing. Archivist Sven Tourval +++ Attached to Xentath Offensive, Reporting to Primarch Roboute Guilliman, Lord Militant of the Imperium of Man

My lord,

The traitors on this world dig their trenches deep. They transformed the mud flats of Xentath II into a killing field of mines, tripwires, fortified emplacements, and arcane traps months before we ever set foot on this world. The once-loyal preachers of Xentath now call their followers to a new kind of worship where the most faithful are the most debauched. The lawful authorities have either joined with the heretics or found themselves swiftly hung as macabre trophies of sacrifice. Xentath challenges the Imperium with its very existence.

It has certainly challenged me. Recording the deeds of your Primaris Marines remains a singular honor, but I confess that no previous deployment ever visited such misery upon me as Xentath II. The rain here seems endless and unearths a carrion stench. A wrong step sends one knee-deep into the muck that covers this world. And I cannot shake this feeling that we are observed at all times by something or someone outside our perception.

But if the Astartes of the Blood Angels share my discomfort, they make no sign of it. In between moments of desperate conflict there exist long stretches of time where I can observe the Blood Angels closely. They spend their time discussing martial and artistic theory in equal measure, often while painting their armor to a bright red sheen. Their discipline remains rock-steady though. Their patrols fan out from our position at all hours of the day and night, probing the enemy's defenses so that we might break this stalemate.

The Ash Walkers are different in almost every manner. Their impatience for combat contrasts with their otherwise steady and implacable nature. This impatience does not stem from a vulgar bloodlust, insofar as I can tell. Rather, they have the impatience that young people possess when they feel the eyes of others observing and judging them. The weight of their parent Chapter's glorious history weighs heavily upon them, despite their own obvious piety and martial prowess. In the occasions where the conflict on Xentath spills out across the fields and the trenches, it is the Ash Walkers at the fore of these attacks. Their flamers turn the mud below into clay and their bolters turn the enemy's trenches into mass graves.

I must set aside my writing for now. The traitors' bombardment will commence soon and churn more mud upwards into the grey sky. But my accounts will continue as the war progresses.

Should it progress at all.

+++

med_gallery_62495_11290_47076.jpgmed_gallery_62495_11290_81735.jpgmed_gallery_62495_11290_95494.jpgmed_gallery_62495_11290_164615.jpg

For 10,000 years the Salamanders have felt the pain of treachery. For 10,000 the Salamanders have tried to rebuild their Battle Companies. For 10,000 years, the Salamanders have waited to be blessed with the honor of successor chapters. They shall wait no more. The Ultima Founding presented the Salamanders with the opportunity so many of their brothers had been given; play a hand in creating a new generation of Space Marines, a new generation of the Emperor's finest warriors. A chapter of the new Primaris Space Marines.

As with the Second Founding long ago, this new chapter would take influence from their founding chapter's proud history; They shall be named The Ash Walkers, after the unit of Salamanders that distinguished themselves during the Horus Heresy, The Ashen Brigade. The leadership of the chapter has made up of former Salamanders, taken from their chapter in order to instill in the Ash Walkers the values of the Nocturne-born; value for human life, stoicism at all times, and unfaltering valor in combat. Yet already, the influence of their namesake weighs upon them. They add another trait to those taught to them by their brothers of the Salamanders; a complete and utter hatred for those that would stray from the path of the Emperor and fall to Chaos. Almost akin to the Black Rage, this burning hatred, this desire to turn all those that look to Chaos to little more than ash has yet to reveal how much sway it has over the Space Marines of the Ash Walkers.

Perhaps it is for this reason the Ash Walkers have been paired with the Blood Angels for this campaign on Xentath II; the Blood Angels may be able to recognize warning signs in the Space Marines of the Ash Walkers that they are losing control. For now, the weight of wanting to live up to the legacy of their fathers, the Salamanders, is all that is on the mind of the chapter. On the battlefields on Xentath II, the true character of the Ash Walkers will be revealed.

gallery_87472_13411_24173.jpg

gallery_87472_13411_65670.jpggallery_87472_13411_101801.jpg

All Shall be Ash Before Us.

• 2 weeks later...

M41.99 +++ Thought for the Day: Through the hellfire of combat, the brave shall emerge from the cowardly +++ Archivist Sven Tourval +++ Attached to Xentath Offensive, Profile of Ash Walkers Chapter Master Avram Oz

The Chapter Master of the Ash Walkers, Avram Oz, is a man who holds his position underneath the weights of history, duty, and pride. Chosen by Salamanders Chapter Master Tu'Shan to take charge of the Ash Walkers, Avram immediately made his mark on his new chapter. It was his vision to take after the Ashen Brigade of old and hold their traditions as paramount for the character of the Ash Walkers. Changing his name from Ophiel Cuil to Avram Oz, in recognition of the naming traditions of the Ashen Brigade, the Chapter Master also insisted upon wearing a black helm into battle, as his ancestors did 10,000 years ago. His armor shows further evidence of his heritage as a warrior, the left kneepad of his holy gravis armor sports the green and bronze of the Salamanders, his initial chapter of service.

On the battlefields of Xentath II, Chapter Master Oz shows his martial prowess. Leading the Ash Walkers through the fields of mud, his rather plain power sword practically sings as it is employed in combat against traitors. His able leadership has helped the forces of Imperium begin to find success in the endless mud, despite the seemingly limitless hordes of those that have turned towards the ruinous powers. Without him, I fear that the Ash Walkers and Blood Angels would not fight together as effectively as they currently do; it appears to this humble servant that certain elements within the Ash Walkers chapter are somewhat unhappy that they must share the glory of their first campaign with another chapter of holy Space Marines. I attribute this to the usual bluster of proud young soldiers, eager to prove themselves to their peers.

gallery_87472_13411_192558.jpggallery_87472_13411_1123935.jpggallery_87472_13411_153798.jpggallery_87472_13411_65738.jpg

The Ash Walkers and their Chapter Master look great, though the line "certain elements within the Ash Walkers chapter are somewhat unhappy that they must share the glory of their first campaign with another chapter of holy Space Marines," makes me concerned the Ash Walkers' pride may lead them to commit treason and turn to Chaos.

Have you designed a Chapter symbol yet?