How should a Build my new hive tyrant and rearm my old one?

Andy Tea

Hi,

with the new codex I have decided to dust off my old 4th (I think) edition Tyranid army and make it work in in the new version

First stop is my Hive tyrant, I have the old metal one that came with the plastic weapons sprue, he's currently got a set of scything talons, a lash whip and a bone sword

I now also have a shiny and new Hive Tyrant plastic kit

so I figure I'll build a new hive tyrant and like a dysfunctional 6 year old with a spider pull the arms of my old one

so how do you think it would be best to build them?

my current thinking is build the new one as a flying one with devourer's and scything talons and the old one with a heavy venom cannon and scything talons

however the flying one will then be a pain to store

expect more - I have no idea what I'm doing threads soon

cheers

Andy

I would recommend putting the devourers on the Walkrant and going with a cheap and cheerful Scything Talon loadout on the Flyrant.

The fast one is stabby and the slow one is Shooty / Synapse. 

Edit: Unless you have 4 boneswords. Then make the Walkrant a Swarmlord! :D

Edited by Bukimimaru

I have what ever bits are in the Hive Tyrant kits so if there are 4 boneswords in there then I will have them

why is the swarmlord so good, I thought he was a bit expensive compared to a normal hive tyrant?

so on the  normal walker take devourers and venom cannon for lots of shooting?
would the swarm lord be preferable to a flying tyrant?

my biggest concern with the flying one is storage unless I can some how mange to magnetise the wings

The Swarmlord is super awesome.

He is more expensive, sure, but he is a Monster in combat and he lets any unit move twice.

If you take him with a squad of 2 Genestealers, the 'Stealers can move, run, Move, run and then charge. 

He pretty much makes sure they get a turn 1 charge.

Slap him in a drop pod, cast a second movment on himself and charge down a Landraider turn one. 

He's a beast.

I'm in a similar situation with my hive tyrants, one the 4th edition kit the other the new plastic kit. Now I have already build the new plastic as a flyrant with 2 twin-linked devourers (I got the fancy forgeworld arms). My other tyrant (the metal kit) I have converted wings, but I'm not sure if I should run a melee setup or just run a dakka flyrant.

Swarmlord is good a sling shooting units to were they need to go. Hes also all around beast in combat, an excellent counter charger for any gun bugs. I have a feeling that he will be FAQed so he wont be able to use Hive Commander on himself.

Sacrificing the combat ability of the flyrant is something I am loathe to do.

Having two flyrants, one pure dakka and the other 2x devs and rending claws, or 2x scytals might be good. Or use the Swarmy for CC purposes.

I doubt swarmy will be FAQ'd - they'd either have to penalise a bunch of other stuff throughout all indexes and codexes, or be accused of picking on nids. There's a specific section in the rulebook that says models are included in their own buff auras. 

Best tyrant build is without a doubt wings, monsterous rending claws, heavy venom cannon. Adrenal gland and toxin sacs as points allow. If Kraken take the -1 to hit relic. Also if Kraken this build can move, shoot, charge the disengage and do it all over again next turn due to the fly status and kraken trait.

In short tyranids lack high strength and damage shooting and the tyrant has great natural BS. Two devourers with the MRCs is still good but most lists don't lack anti-infantry but do lack Anti-tank. Twin deathspitters fails because it lacks the volume of shots of the devourers and the strength and damage of the HVC. Edited by Amon777

• 3 weeks later...

Whats the reasoning behind taking the heavy venom cannon over say 2 death spitters or 2 hot shot devouers (sorry cant remember the prober name)

Nids don't have a lot of high strength shooting. Rhe heavy venom cannon is one of only a handful of S9 or better weapons in the entire codex.

If you're faced with a wall of tanks it would suck having to rely on getting things into melee to reliably damage them.

Nids have TONS of lower strength, multi shot weapons though, so the nids that CAN take higher strength weapons should definitely do so.