Dark Angels Secret Santa - we love secrets!

Chmur

Brothers! The time of year is upon us when some people in the world tend to exchange gifts. I believe we can use the opportunity to create sort of painting and gifting event, or, simply, just have a great time and share with other Unforgiven our passion for the Legion.

Before you start reading further!

1. This will be longish post - if you want to take part, make sure you read all of it otherwise you're a window-licking muppet.
  2. If you are likely to forget, not bother sending the gift in the end or not take it seriously - do not take part. This event is intended for people who want to invest time and energy into preparing a surprise gift for others.
  3. In order to participate, you will of course have to give up some personal information and we will require a proof of shipping; both to be provided via online form. 
  4. While this event is my idea, as I want to participate Chaplain Lucifer was kind enough to offer to provide the Moderati overhead and oversight. 
  5. The Codex is coming. Please consider this if your plan for the upcoming week(s) after realease and leaks is to up your army and do nothing else, do not sign-up.

What is this all about?

As there are plenty of Secret Santa events going around in various communities and workplaces, I will not go into much details about what it is - simply, there is a pool of volunteers who want to make a secret gift for random person. Then each of these people is assigned a name of another person from the pool to create a gift for. 

The idea is to give someone else a gift and get a gift back from another someone else. In secret. Mostly.

Is this for Unforgiven only?

Yes and no. While this will not be advertised anywhere else, if you just wandered around from another portion of the forum or simply want to take part in the fun (I can already see the hilarity of one Space Wolf making a Dark Angel character and vice-versa), feel free to sign-up! The more the merrier – and frankly most of us has other players in the area to source bits from.

If you are non-Unforgiven player however, bear in mind there might be some limitations on what you can receive – I have put a question into the form asking for willingness to go outside of the Unforgiven box with gifting.

Hard rule – This event is all about Power-armour-dudes, and most likely not much Chaos bling is to be expected going out. So bear that in mind so you are not dissapoint, son!

Sounds interesting! So how does it work?

Glad you asked! Registration for the event is possible until Nov 23rd. On that day at midnight (CET) the poll and registration will be closed, we will perform quick number magicks and let everyone know via PMs about their matches. As this event is supposed to be "secret" Santa, scavenger hunt will commence - it is up to you to lurk these forums to see the army of your recipient, look for hints in this thread - there is no point in babbling the name out loud, is there?

Based on the information gathered via the signup form, you will be given some additional information about where to aim your gift, what to do in regards to conversions/paintjob/fluff and you can then get to work. Simple as that.

The deadline for sending the gift is 23rd December. Yes, this means the recipient will not get the gift on Christmas day, but let's be real, this wouldn't have happened anyways with the postal services quality and capacity before Christmas. Let's take the extra time to put some quality on the plastic gifts! 

While there is a week of signup period, you should already start preparing your project ahead of time. Do not miss the deadline and have the recipient wait because of your negligence.

What constitutes a suitable gift?

As the goal of the event is to open it to participation for all, I was thinking long and hard about what should be the limits of the gift value etc and I came up short. But then I realized, why not really set the gift range - and then the choice was obvious.

Independent Characters

The gift you prepare (and receive) should be a single model of a character, legal load-out as per Index. I am rolling into this as well squad sergeants! These blokes are mainstay of our army and while they are not a solo Index entry, this is the figure you can get most of play out. There is no limitation on money you want to spend - if you want to ship those fancy new Primaris character, sure do! If you want to dig up and customize old plastic sprue left-over into Sergeant - good!

Rules for asking for a gift and preparing gift:

1. All models are to be shipped fully painted with finished bases - try to match the recipient army theme (in armour, primaris, colours, bases) but add your personal touch - that is what makes it fun! 
  2. You are responsible for shipping! Make sure you have the budget for it!
  3. Make sure you understand that we cannot guarantee you will get a "matching" value back - this is a goodwill event, so you should not calculate with such thing, but just in case.
  4. Be realistic - it's better to provide high quality miniature as a gift than to delay/not send because you aimed too high.
  5. Don't worry  if you consider your abilities inferior to the recipients! We all know the effort it takes to paint a mini - if you do it to the best of your ability, it will be a treasure to keep!
  6. When filling up the signup form - provide reasonable information. If you want something specific, you can state it (especially if you want something with variable weapon loadouts), but do not expect that you will get exactly that!
  7. No named characters (Asmodai, Ezekiel, Azrael, Belial, Sammael) requests, please.

How do I sign up?

We are going to use a google survey for this event! This gives us easiest option to gather data, sort it out and make suitable pairing (country, region etc). 

>>CLICK HERE<<

I will be checking users as they submit the survey, looking for active post history on this forum, active post history on Bolter&Chainsword in general (hello new Dark Angel brothers), and in general longevity in B&C account for starters. LURKERS BEWARE, it is really tough to tell if someone is legit or not when they have no post history, or no activity here. You need to be active in the sub to be accepted.

Here is another important part. I am not going to check ANY of your information for typos or possible errors. Make sure you are 100% on everything you submit before you submit it. Type it in word and check for spelling errors, google maps your address to make sure its right, and then paste it in. Last thing anyone wants is for that sweet package you were going to get to be lost in postage limbo forever.

When you sign up, please put some money aside for the gift/postage RIGHT NOW. Seriously. We can't stress this enough. The holidays can bring lots of unforeseen expenses, so play it safe.

After you've filled out the form I'd recommend you post the miniatures you collect or are interested in this thread as well. Too specific makes the gifting process a bit silly. It's rough when you are matched with someone who just put "Primaris Librarian with heavy conversion" on their form, especially when you only have 5EUR for shipping and bitzbox at your disposal. So don't be that guy. List the armies you wouldn't mind receiving minis from, as well as what you might already collect, so your gifter might have some starting point.

Good example: "I play mostly Ravenwing, I have not gotten past the Dark Vengeance bikes and some attack bikes"

Bad example: "I like 40k. DERP."

How will you assign Santas?

I will create a few spreadsheets based on location. Then I will just use a random number pairing on the interwebs. It will all be done in one completely random shot. I won't tamper with it in any way, though I do take into consideration in setting the names in the hat up (location, for example - I will do separate draws for the US, EU, Asia, etc to minimize international shipping).

If you haven’t been assigned a Santa by around the 25th of November yell at me appropriately - in PMs.

What do I do when I send/receive my gift?

A few things for sending a gift: If you want, include your forum name so people have some idea of who is sending them this mystery box! It really shouldn't be all that hard to just write it on a piece of paper and throw it in. Bonus points for fancy touches like custom cards that have Cypher’s location noted in them.

IMPORTANT: LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU SEND IT. PHOTO/RECEIPT/TRACKING ID ETC.

I will be marking off who has sent, and when, as we go - so we can track who is delinquent, and who might just be the victim of slow shipping or what have you.

Use Delivery Confirmation/Tracking Numbers whenever possible so you can track your package and make sure it gets there/provide a tracking ID to me/Lucifer so we can provide it to your giftee – there will be another form set-up for this!

>>USE THIS FORM<<

Check in with me via PM to confirm receipt if you don't hear anything for a little while after the package was marked delivered = also, when receiving a gift: Let your santa know it arrived! It’s one less thing they have to worry about.

IMPORTANT: LET ME KNOW YOUR PACKAGE HAS ARRIVED SO I CAN CHECK IT OFF THE LIST.

And take some sweet pictures, for Lion‘s sake! Your Santa probably worked very hard on the gift, and we're all dying to see what's being exchanged.

One last final disclaimer:

Though we will try to keep this event above board, and vet users to ensure everyone gets a gift, its impossible for us to properly control all of the moving parts. You enter this event at your own risk, and we unfortunately can't make any guarantee you will receive something you will be happy with. I will do my best to hunt down any cheese-dicks who don't send things but I can do little more than remind/harass/ban/report them to the admins.

I openly accept fake bribes as well during the event. 'Tis my right as Santaneer. Bribes won't actually mean anything in terms of who you're paired with or what you get from this, but I do accept them none the less.

LET THE HOLIDAY SEASON COMMENCE - HAPPY GIFTING!!

“Aw man. Who invited Asmodai to this year’s secret Santa? That guy’s no fun. Last year he tortured Brother Cletus to death to find out who his secret Santa was. As if that’s not bad enough, the gift he gave Chaplain Maynard was a box containing an assignment chit sending him on a 40year crusade into the Fecal Wastes. When Maynard asked what that was about Asmodai replied ‘unrecognized service to the Emperor is the greatest gift!’”

I'm in!
I linked to my 30k thread on the forum, and put a picture of my 40k Angels in the module. 
Hope it's ok, as I don't mind which version is matched (as long as it's Unforgiven).
Some dude from a successor would be fine for me, too, as I eventually plan to represent all of them... :smile.:

Alright! Signup officialy closed...

HOWEVER as there is odd number of participants, if anyone still feels like taking part, be my guest. I will start on generating some random lists and compiling information to be sent out so you learn more about your "targets" ;)

Expect the detailed information in your forum inbox in 24 hours.

Good luck and have fun!

First off I want to thank Chmur for hosting this event. What a great way to kick off the season!

Second, I should have stated in my form. Even though I tall scale all my marines, I DO NOT expect whoever gets me to do the same. Please, I don’t want anyone stressing out over this. Good luck everyone!

First off I want to thank Chmur for hosting this event. What a great way to kick off the season!

Second, I should have stated in my form. Even though I tall scale all my marines, I DO NOT expect whoever gets me to do the same. Please, I don’t want anyone stressing out over this. Good luck everyone!

Thank me after we are all happily gifted and everything worked out :)

Screw you Greenz, I'd gift you a sergeant scaled to the size of a Dreadnought.

*glues chainsword and pistol to dreadnought*

Eh voila!

Screw you Greenz, I'd gift you a sergeant scaled to the size of a Dreadnought.

*glues chainsword and pistol to dreadnought*

Eh voila!

No. He deserves a squat. Or Primaris downsized to squat :D

Archived