Mawlocs vs Biovores

cake_farts

While the discussion of Mawloc vs Trygon has been beat into the ground, let’s please discuss Mawlocs vs Biovores. I’ve been playing a lot of 500 point games recently and find that generating mortal wounds and being able to deal damage to the backfield are often necessary in such small games. Both of which do a great job. I think I favor the Mawloc for its versatility and maneuverability. What would you prefer?

Biovore has unparalleled ability to mess with opponents movement, and is harder to respond to, although that may not be as much of an issue in small games on large boards as it is in larger games.

Oh I agree when it comes to larger armies. I generally play the 500 point games on 4x4 tables. If there aren't any buildings, there's no real way to have spore mines disrupting movements.

Aside from the 500 point games though, and as far as dishing out mortal wounds, do you think 3 Biovores should be taken over 1 Mawloc?

In smaller games, I'd probably say the Mawloc. It's an active unit rather than reactive. Your opponent can ignore/cant shoot 3 hidden biovores, meaning 500pts of their army can/has to focus on 400pts of your army.

The mawloc up front will dilute their fire, dish out mortal wounds and fight in cc.

Really I'd probably bring a single bio to plink wounds off things when needed. Balanced armies are better.

Try both and see. 

Edited by Xenith

Something that makes me lean toward Biovores over the Mawloc, even in smaller point games, is that you setup additional threats for your opponent to fire at if you miss with the Biovores. Missing with a Biovore allows you to setup a spore mine which, if not targeted, will cause wounds on the following round. As well as slow or impede enemy movement. I think Biovores are a lot more powerful than most people give them credit for.

As above. I biovore is useful, I'd try to fit a single one in, and not look at it in black and white Mawloc or Biovore way when you can have both. 

What else is goin in the army? There's always synapse to think of, although no synapse coverage makes biovores better now...

I was really of hoping to avoid list building in this conversation, because I didn't want it to be the focus.

My thoughts on the subject arose based on comparisons of point cost, mortal wound dealing, and impact on the table top. I only mentioned the 500 point list building, because that's what I've been dealing with lately.

You cannot really ask which of two completely different units is better without factoring in the rest of the list, I think.

The only thing they have in common is they ability to do mortal wounds, which zoanthropes can also do.

So: neither is better in a vacuum. Biovore better if you're list is shooting poor, mawloc if your opponent has no lascannons and you have some ranged firepower.

I've read about 18+ biovore lists doing well, but not about mawloc spam lists doing well, if it makes a difference