EdT's Thread of Stuff- Now with the sound of Thunder...

EdT

Impressive work, though i have to admit that i have always hated stormcast eternals' legs, i always felt like there was something wrong in their shape.

I don't know how much this can help/inspire you at this stage of your project, but GW actually still has an "official" thunder warrior model in their "Armour Through the Ages" kit:

99810101076_ArmourThroughAgesNEW02.jpg

I'm really glad everyone likes my Thunder Warriors! They've been great fun to do and as @Krakendoomcool alludes, it's made me quite interested in doing a few other things from the Unification period. Namely, exploring the thought that, if the Thunder Legion was the solution, how unpleasant was the problem?

So anyhow, another small update. I needed a baseline human to go with my Thunder Warriors and really emphasise their size, so I came up with this chap- the Duke Mortecher, an Imperial diplomat. I can imagine him turning up in various pre-Unity Terran polities to talk Compliance, his "bodyguard" rather unsubtly hinting at what the alternative might be.

wip_duke_mortecher_by_edthomasten-dcegxn

He is based on this slightly obscure CCG artwork, as well as a very similar John Blanche piece which I can't find at the moment and which I suspect inspired the trading card. Interestingly the artwork has the Duke as the Council of Terra's plenipotentiary to Horus on the eve of Isstvaan, but this doesn't quite gel to me, as his iconography is all Unification-period rather than Imperial. So I wonder if there's a clerical error and perhaps the picture obstensibly of the pre-Heresy Duke is actually of one of his rather less extravagant forebears.

Here's a shot of the Duke with Värde-Škaj to show quite how dwarfed a human is by one of the Thunder Legion.

thunder_warrior_human_comparison_by_edth

"Hairs, off me back!"

In seriousness though, would fur be a pretty rare and extravagant commodity?

And so I don't forget: the diplomat looks awesome and I think with his bodyguard even more so! The sheer difference in size is fantastic and really shows off some astounding scale. Makes me think of the artwork of an imperial diplomat meeting with the Tau and he is surrounded by the deathwatch. I also like the use of what looks to be a shapeways (maybe?) imperial eagle on these minis. I am really looking forward to seeing a lot more this.

I am also trying to remember if Heralds of Ruin has a Thunder Warrior team...

This thread keeps getting more exciting all the time. From a very high starting point.

That Thunder Warrior is a beast! The diplomats bird is a great touch. What is the diplomat made from? Looks like a white plastic.

I’m looking forward to more characters from this legendary and mysterious period.

Impressive works. From what animal did the Duke get that fur cape? Is the fur artificial, i.e., made of synthetic polymers, to avoid offending animal rights groups?

In seriousness though, would fur be a pretty rare and extravagant commodity?

Terra seems still to have a fair bit of wildlife in the Unification period, even if it is mostly feral versions of genetically-modified species reintroduced after extinction (I think it’s been established that the planet has been largely sterilised at least once in the intervening 28,000 years). Praetorian of Dorn had Northern Siberia populated with rather large rad-wolves, several books have referenced birds and fish, and then there are curiosities like the Migou used to build the Imperial Palace, which I assume are genebred beastmen/ogryn equivalents and which, given their inspiration, must be pretty hairy. Quite aside from the whacky life forms that were created by gene-wrights in the Dark Age of Technology, I’m all sorts of xeno species have been brought back over the millennia.

Most of this will be gone by M.41 and even in many cases by the Heresy- I bet that a lot of invasive and particularly nasty species are culled as part of the Emperor’s terraforming efforts- but in the Unification period I reckon fur’s quite common in the wastes, as long as you don’t consider too closely what it came from. Can’t have a good techno-barbarian without fur, after all!

Actually, given the time period, it might be made of the offended animal rights groups.

Ha!

And so I don't forget: the diplomat looks awesome and I think with his bodyguard even more so! The sheer difference in size is fantastic and really shows off some astounding scale. Makes me think of the artwork of an imperial diplomat meeting with the Tau and he is surrounded by the deathwatch.

Thank you! That’s exactly the artwork I had in mind when I did him- the one with the imperial fist, right?

I also like the use of what looks to be a shapeways (maybe?) imperial eagle on these minis. I am really looking forward to seeing a lot more this.

Yes, the Raptor Imperialis is from Shapeways, and very handy. They’re on all the Thunder Warriors too of course.

This thread keeps getting more exciting all the time. From a very high starting point.

That Thunder Warrior is a beast! The diplomats bird is a great touch. What is the diplomat made from? Looks like a white plastic.

I’m looking forward to more characters from this legendary and mysterious period.

Thanks. The diplomat is based on a few resin bits from the excellent Anvil Industry (legs and arms basically), the torso is WHFB Empire but mostly covered by the aforementioned Shapeways bit. The head is one of the Greatswords ones, and the bird is from the AoS Kaharadrons. The rest is greenstuff!

As for more from the Unification period, this has really whetted my appetite too. I have some interesting concepts that I can’t wait to explore- for example Ursh, which I see as being Carthage to the Imperium’s Rome. Was the Emperor really the only person with the ambition to unify Terra and restore humanity’s lost galactic empire, and if not, what did the competing visions look like?

So an update from me- the final two Thunder Warriors are done. The first is named Pajonn and he is a (slightly blurry) regular rank and file Warrior;

wip_thunder_warrior_4_by_edthomasten-dcf

The second is Jofur, the group's Signifier.

wip_thunder_warrior_3_by_edthomasten-dcf

He's based on this John Blanche sketch, and hopefully I've blended his take, the traditional Thunder Warrior look, and my way of doing them together relatively well.

So that's the full team! Have a group shot...

wip_thunder_warriors_group_by_edthomaste

The next step is to paint and base them- once Abakhol is painted, of course. And I am working on some other Unification-era types to join these guys too, so that should be rather fun.

I know this thread has been going on for a bit Edt but I`m glad to see you back on B&C :D your definitely one of the members on here who inspired me to try my hand at true-scaling and just generally confirmed my love for the hobby :)

Thanks all, I'm really glad that people are enjoying this excursion into the Unification period as much as I am. I think it's a really fascinating seam to mine.

What is the source of the figurine in Jofur's icon?

Here you go!  It's a 10mm "Marine in Power Armour" (SF4)- I got a bunch a while ago when I spotted that they looked just like Thunder Warriors. The original plan was to do a sort of Trajan's column thing on a Custodian dreadnaught but it wasn't that practical. It's nice to find a use for one, though... 

So anyhow, this happened slightly quicker than I expected- here's another model from the Terran Unification period, this time a techno-barbarian. More background when he's fully done, but for the time being I wanted to post him as an example of what you can pull together after immersing yourself in John Blanche artwork and then going through the bits box. This guy is entirely based on one of Blanche's sketches; while obviously not exactly the same I hope I've been able to carry across some of the spirit of the art.

wip_technobarbarian_by_edthomasten-dcf3h

That is magnificent, absolutely, stupendously, unabashedly magnificent.  The aesthetic, the size, the execution, all are absolutely spot on with everything I ever expected of that era.  Man, you've done a superb job.   :censored: incredible job.

And here I thought I'd never actually like either the Thunderwarrior aesthetic or the Cadian infantry heads (though techno barbarians are always great) I love that diplomat too, everything just screams 'Unification' to me.  I'm not sure how you managed to see the potential through the 'parts' as t were, but that is terrific. Can't wait to see where it leads ya, mate!

Oh man do those Thunder Warriors look awesome! The conversions are perfect and I cannot wait to see them painted up. I also how huge they are compared to the mortal.

The Technobarbarian is also awesome. Never thought I’d see someone ever build one.

Thanks all, really enjoying doing these!

I have a quick update today- lots of interesting things that aren't quite ready to be shown off yet but I do have two more Technobarbarians to join the one I've already done. They are Sword-husbands of Dayuan, of which more later. Eventually there will be a gang of seven including a mother and child.

technobarbarians_2_by_edthomasten-dcfz0j

The guy on the left is resting his chainsword on the ground, but the base cuts off before it gets there. I see the (irritatingly blurry) guy on the right as being an older member of the family unit- when he reaches a certain stage he will wander off into the wastes to seek a glorious death before the others kill him for slowing them down.

These technobarbarians look savage, almost like followers of the Dark Gods, just looking at them it's instantly recognisable where you got your inspiration with the art. The withered and twisted arm on the older chap is a nice touch and gives a real contrast to his otherwise very muscular frame.

Archived