Ascanius's WIP thread

Ascanius

Yeah, I was planning to try that next after Chris Peach mentioned he does commissars' patent leather boots that way - just black with 'Ardcoat.

The main reason I don't want to shade, then drybrush, is that I want the whole thing to be glossy - but I'll experiment with different methods on the last four.

I didn't believe I was capable of this when I started doing it, but I'm pleased at how neat (if not exactly perfect) this turned out:

40567441192_8cd55daba3_c.jpg

Edited by Ascanius

Here's the Predator I mentioned I'd stalled on at the start of the thread:

26896847088_7d0ff7ae09_c.jpg

(click through for a larger version)

I'm calling this finished, mainly for the sake of my own sanity. It's been a frustrating but valuable learning experience.

At some point I'll think of a name and paint it on the scroll at the front.

Edited by Ascanius

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice rich green. I'm always keen for a cold colour pallet. The white Bolter is a nice contrasting element that works really well with deep green. Consider white knees, elbows, or helmet, to tie it in with the scheme a bit more.

• 4 weeks later...

Having today completed the last figure from my Shadespire core set, I've moved on to a new project:

40890668654_7147b7b052_c.jpg

The scheme is going to be very similar to this old Sorcerer, which I obtained from a kind poster here and used as a test model:

38576947476_18f83369e3_c.jpg

Edited by Ascanius

This first Terminator is finished for now:

26887788737_4464b96f43_c.jpg
(click for a larger version)

For the weapons, I'm going for "black, but so battered with use that the metal is showing through", with a purple shade on the parts that were always bare metal to show their Warp-touched nature.

I might do a pass with Drakenhof Nightshade on the blue armour, since it's lighter than I want, but we'll see.

Thanks! The gold is extremely simple: basecoat Balthasar Gold, shade Seraphim Sepia, Gehenna's Gold, fine highlight Auric Armour Gold on rivet and sharp corners, plus details like the eyes on the chest and flames on the pauldrons.

I'd love to participate in ETL, but my ADHD means I'm very likely to stall or lose interest for weeks or months at a time, and I'd rather not let the gods down! :wink:

I did end up going over the blue with Drakenhof Nightshade:

41767099541_f29b2911fb_o.png

Edited by Ascanius

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My Scarab Occult have been "in black and gold reborn", inspired by a) being stalled on painting them in a traditional scheme, b) listening to The Talon of Horus as an audiobook for the first time after having read it two or three times.

This first model is not quite finished; I need to finish turning the gem on the belt blue, and obviously base the model!

30286441998_91fbc66332.jpg

29215647557_2d2e89f665.jpg

30286439458_0b41a0af53.jpg

• 5 months later...

I'm taking a break from my Horus Heresy Legions project to paint up some of the other Mk III Space Marines from Burning of Prospero with the now-discontinued Legion Volkite Calivers from Forge World, which I bought when they went on Last Chance to Buy.

(You can still buy the Telerac Pattern Volkite Culverins, which are also great, but I had specifically had my eye on the Legion version with the exposed vanes for some time.)

These models are painted in a Mk III version of my nascent Storm Walkers chapter heraldry, which I envision as a nearly-destroyed chapter reinforced with Primaris Space Marines such that Firstborn Astartes like these are now a minority in the chapter.

47119178241_d162d555de_c.jpg

(Click through to embiggen)