Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Speculation & spoilers regarding The Magos, Pariah etc

• Please log in to reply
387 replies to this topic

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts

Just going to note that there seems to be an epic poem about the Heresy with plot relevance that shows up which is the extent of their knowledge, referred to as the Heretikhameron.

"Nine Sons who stood and Nine who turned. Nine for the Eight and Nine against the Eight. Eighteen all to make the Great Cosmos or bring it crashing down"

Mine was a passage from The Heretikhameron, or 'Days of Heresy', a long verse poem written circa M32, which recounts the War of the Primarchs. I never read it all, and it was tortuously complex, but I remember the grand style of the opening book, with all its epic images and its declamatory tones, speaking of the 'Bright Emperor', and the Nine Sons Who Stood, and the Nine Who Turned. Sister Bismillah used to read it to me in the dormitory of the Scholam Orbus. I think the orphanage only had the first book in a little yellow volume. Anyway, my tempering litany is not just those words, it is Sister Bismillah's voice reciting them. She is, I suppose, the most maternal influence I have ever known in my life, so her soft voice was an important part of it.

- Pariah

So yeah, Bequin and Medea literally know what they do because they had a chance to read like Book 1 of the HH series in poem format.

That explains some “knowledge” but not all...

Spoiler

It’s arrived at long last! I was beginning to worry my order had been forgotten. I got the limited ed but the cover on the standard edition is beautiful compared to the limited edition. Wifey agrees. Unfortunately I know the main spoiler but can’t work it out. It’s also going to have to wait until after lambing to get read. I get the feeling it not one to be read on a coffee break at 2am.

A real shame you know the main spoiler! But you are right - this is NOT a dip in over coffee book. Enjoy!

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,452 posts
I like that there's a HH-version of Paradise Lost in the 40K universe

GAZ_AV_NZ

GAZ_AV_NZ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 161 posts
  • Faction: Various

Spoiler comment also contains spoiler from Alpharius

Spoiler

Well done Dan

Edited by Brother Lunkhead, 04 April 2021 - 03:47 PM.
spoiler tag added

Carach

Carach

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 312 posts

you can use the spoiler tag to hide text you know.

just pop spoiler in [] and at the end of your text pop /spoiler in []

• DarkChaplain likes this

malika666

malika666

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,161 posts
Back when Dan wrote Pariah it was the Alpha Legion’s gimmick (at least in the Heresy era) that all Legionaries called themselves Alpharius. The sentence “I am Alpharius” was kinda their catchphrase.

Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts

Back when Dan wrote Pariah it was the Alpha Legion’s gimmick (at least in the Heresy era) that all Legionaries called themselves Alpharius. The sentence “I am Alpharius” was kinda their catchphrase.

And wasn’t it Abnett who originally coined the whole “I am Alpharius” in Legion?
  • malika666 likes this

malika666

malika666

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,161 posts
Indeed he was! But I doubt the Alpharius from Pariah is the Primarch.
  • Arendious likes this

Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Arendious

Arendious

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 362 posts
  • Faction: Umbral Owls

Indeed he was! But I doubt the Alpharius from Pariah is the Primarch.

Indeed. That would confirm, insofar as anything in 40k is confirmed, that Alpharius is alive and active as of Penitent's place in the timeline. (Mid M40, iirc) And, that seems like a fairly big revelation to drop via a background character.

"Take this, thy reflector belt, that the Emperor's Holy Light will shine in all the places that you go."  ~Commissar Lemay, Imperial Flying Corpsgallery_48988_6285_18080.png

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,452 posts
PoD rather clearly informs us that Alpharius is dead...and then French followed up with a statement that Alpharius is dead. So unless Dan is retconning PoD or resurrecting a dead primarch whose head was chewed up into little bits by Dorn's giant chainsword, Deathrow is not Alpharius. I also can't imagine the Alpharius who fought in Dorn's "weight class" having any trouble with an Emperor's Children marine.
  • Arendious likes this

Urauloth

Urauloth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,260 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

I think the big revelation of that scene is meant to be the kind of company Eisenhorn is keeping now.

Edited by Urauloth, 05 April 2021 - 03:57 AM.

• malika666, DarkChaplain, Arendious and 1 other like this

Its lonely cry comes shivering through the dark,

As beasts roar at the great biting flames,

"Blessed are the chains that bind him to the darkness

and cursed are the blades that leave him lame"

Arendious

Arendious

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 362 posts
  • Faction: Umbral Owls

I also can't imagine the Alpharius who fought in Dorn's "weight class" having any trouble with an Emperor's Children marine.

This is an excellent point as well. Even if the Smiling One is closer to a Chaos Lord than 'just a Chaos Marine', I can't imagine a Primarch breaking much of a sweat against him.

Narratively, it sandbags Eisenhorn, Ravenor, and Beta.

"Take this, thy reflector belt, that the Emperor's Holy Light will shine in all the places that you go."  ~Commissar Lemay, Imperial Flying Corpsgallery_48988_6285_18080.png

Carach

Carach

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 312 posts

I think we have enough golly gee moments to not need Alpharius to actually *be* Alpharius in this series..

• fire golem, DarkChaplain, Arendious and 1 other like this

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,452 posts
In the Alpharius primarch novella

Spoiler

Edited by b1soul, 17 April 2021 - 02:42 AM.

• Petitioner's City likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users