MajorNese's AdMech reboot - project log

I've been looking at your log here and the work is incredible. makes me want to go Imperial Knights and even ad mech over the GK I thought about starting.

Thank you. Well, GK are a bit singular in what you can do with them - details are already sculpted on, there's not much variety in the paint scheme or in the available kits. Which is why I prefer AdMech over any Astartes right now - as long as you don't run out of datasheets to convert for, you can build whatever you can cobble together. It's not like one forge world's stuff is the same as the other's, even if recent official fluff makes it look like that.

Knights are more of a canvas. Lots of 3rd party bitz, a lot of flat surfaces to decorate yourself, and large bases to build a scenery on. Yes, I haven't always used all of these options to the fullest, but the variety you can find online is impressive.

• 1 month later...

Since the FLGS was allowed to open again, I picked up some colors, and as always, ended up with a bit of plastic as well. So, inbetween the big stuff that I had around for a year, these got done fresh out of the store:

aimg_1700p2jwv.jpg

Now it's back to my backlog. Besides my last (already WiP) big backlog model, I've also managed to grab a FW Magaera from a local store's spring cleaning. They used to import FW, but since that got easier with Paypal etc., no one needs a shop to do that for them. Now this one has been slightly cheaper than FW is right now, since FW decided to include a considerable price hike in their (now non-optional) currency conversion.

To clear the knightly Pile of Shame, this means two Moirax that I got from a friend and need some repairs, and said Magaera.

The AdMech codex and Marshall release could delay that a bit, but we'll see when that actually gets here.

• 3 weeks later...

Love that Reaver. Nowadays you have to look carefully to see if a Titan is 40k scale or an Adeptus Titanicus miniature. This must have taken quite some time to get the gradients on all those armour panels.

Love that Reaver. Nowadays you have to look carefully to see if a Titan is 40k scale or an Adeptus Titanicus miniature. This must have taken quite some time to get the gradients on all those armour panels.

Yeah, Titanicus is insanely detailed and damn close to the full scale ones (at least for the Warhound, they measured every single bit by hand to digitalize it, so it is as close as possible). Once you compare the new Warmaster titan to a same-sized 40k knight, that level of detail simply doesn't compare in any way. A shame, otherwise it would have been a great count-as. Well, maybe some day as a conversion...

Since a friend asked about the total painting time of the Warhound, I measured it for this one, and it clocks in at 23h. The gradients don't take that long with my technique - any area that's not much wider than a GW Large Drybrush I can paint marginally slower than doing two coats of a solid color, by just having those two colors on said brush and doing two coats with that. Having the remaining areas mostly black with some details more than compensates that.

• 2 months later...

First mini in 3 months, my motivation is not getting better atm - unlike my photo gear. I had to test that triple flash setup on someone/something.

marshallxjjns.jpg

I even got the chance to play my first game of 9th against DG. It was quite bloody (tons of rerolls for plague weaponry, lack of buff bubble planning on my side), a narrow loss, but quite fun. And more interesting than many one-sided games of 8th.