Hi folks,

A surprising length of time ago (over 3 years!) I moved from Reading to Cambridge and found myself in need of new fellow gamers. Time passed in a blur, amid some extraordinary life events, and then this Christmas I finally decided to do something about it! What I realised whilst lying on the couch watching Netflix with a fever and suffering a 48 hour bout of food poisoning in the New Year (not a hangover, scout's honour) was that I really wanted to return to my first love; 2nd edition 40k. Now I know that more modern games are probably easier to find support for. Heck, there's multiple gaming groups in my "new" area that cater to them. But I've tried other 40k versions and they just aren't my cup of tea. I like that every phase is different with no over-arching mechanics beyond chuck dice had fondle cards covered with idiosyncratic and incomplete rules!

Anyway, because of where I live vs. where I work and transport arrangements Cambridge city centre gaming is difficult. However, thanks to the Oldhammer forum, I found myself an opponent in similar circumstances. We had our first game at the beginning of March and I'm looking forward to our next in a couple of weeks. Actually playing has got me more motivated than in the last ~20 years! So this wip thread has a dual purpose; keep that motivation going and maybe find some other interested 2nd edition gamers.

Anyway, wordy introduction over. Please feel free to let me know what you think about my long over-due return to 40k after a 10 year flirtation with D&D and too many board games to count (I HATE resource management and block pushers, if it takes more than 10 minutes to explain, its isn't suitable for a casual gaming session!). And if you're near Cambridge and want to join the fun, I'm sure we can work something out.

Dodgy phone pictures taken at dusk follow, will aim to improve. Thanks for reading my wall of text,

Achinadav

The majority of the host as it stands, there's some extra terminators and the motorpool on the shelves above and below.

39564234520_2bbdcd10f7_c.jpg

Blimey, an hour to abandon Google Photos and try Flickr...More to follow when I've got the endurance.

Edited by Achinadav

This all sounds very intriguing! I started playing in 3rd ed, so I can sympathize with your preference for a more classic version of 40k. Will you be building your army with the current rules on mind too, or are you sticking solely with 2nd edition? (in terms of army composition, I'm not sure there's really that much of a difference actually)

I'm a Slaanesh player myself, and it's always good to see other like-minded hobbiests armies come together. So I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

This all sounds very intriguing! I started playing in 3rd ed, so I can sympathize with your preference for a more classic version of 40k. Will you be building your army with the current rules on mind too, or are you sticking solely with 2nd edition? (in terms of army composition, I'm not sure there's really that much of a difference actually)

I'm a Slaanesh player myself, and it's always good to see other like-minded hobbiests armies come together. So I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I picked up the 8th ed codex out of interest when it first came out, so in theory I could figure out how all this goes together for it. Although in practise I expect to stick to 2nd edition. And maybe Adeptus Titanicus, as both of us expressed an interest in giant robots with lasers.

Most of what I've got painted has languish in a carry case since 3rd ed appeared along with fancy multipose marines. They never saw even saw the table until this March! So I'm trying to finish off what I've got, except for the inevitable impulse buys (hello daemonettes) and the chaos from Dark Vengeance, which was when I last decided to get back into 40k :smile.:

I'm a recent convert to using the BnC Gallery to host images, would recommend.

Hmmm, perhaps I'll give it a try. I started off using photobucket, because I was posting to multiple places. Then I stopped due to lack of motivation and moving, etc. The recent photobucket-calypse left me looking for a solution and I'd heard of Flickr!

To avoid all words & no pictures, here's a couple of what I've been kitbashing together over the last weekend:

First Acolyte Timour Locke

40487991695_713399e1be.jpg

This chap is made using one of 7 unreleased noise marines that I found on ebay. I'm quite pleased with his bashed together force axe, which uses a raptor arm, a Sanguinary Guard axe and the head of a ghostaxe for added spikeyness. I'm a bit concerned that he doesn't really read as a sorcerer at the moment, he needs...something...In play this is an unmarked Sorcerer who will take his powers from the Adeptus deck. There's a Slaanesh symbol on his chest, so I'm going to tuck symbols of the other 3 gods on him somewhere, at the moment.

Jarmin Moon

40487991605_2b43f04d1c.jpg

Made from the other type of unreleased noise marine. This chap is a full-on Slanneshi Sorcerer with force rod. I cut it off in the picture, but I used the old spiky skull with a bionic eye backpack (?) icon for the top of his staff.

Neither of them are quite finished yet and I'm trying to get hold of some old noise marine backpacks to finish Moon off at least.

Edited by Achinadav

Hullo folks,

This weekend's hobby time has been spent on kitbashing, rather than painting. My next scheduled game has been delayed, so I've got another couple of weeks to paint. Here's my new missile launcher marine:

41474976411_6a4c6e8cb8.jpg

He'll be joining an old heavy bolter marine and a lascannon coming my way soon. Its gives me a bit of anti-tank.

I also finally put together a stock version from the box of exalted sorcerers I brought soon after they came out. I really like this pose. I'm not sure I really appreciate the current trend of body/legs going together in one way, though.

41474549851_00034da008.jpg

Hmm, he's blurry.

Some experiments with white backing and leaning on my desk, well, sideboard, its the only thing I can fit my legs under, gave some better versions of what I had painted all those years ago. A squad of what is probably the first multipart CSM plastics:

27604828958_2817affabf_c.jpg

Banner bearer:

40760846724_600b557fe0.jpg

I used him in my first battle with just a standard banner. I don't think the 2nd edition Slaanesh banner is really worth the points.

And my noise marines:

40581671165_d8dc0bb9c2_c.jpg

As you can see the 20 years ago me decided to give them a heavy coat of gloss varnish. I'm planning on hitting them all with dulcote once the British weather gets a little more friendly.

To finish off, here's a shot of some of what's getting painted up to join the Old Boys:

41432068512_6972f45300.jpg

The chap with the power axe is currently standing in as a chaos lord, until I get one converted up, and will be demoted to aspiring champion when that happens. The other chap is going to join my squad of Veteran CSM, using Dark Vengeance chosen. These guys were brilliant in the one battle so far and assisted in seeing off some berzerkers, including an aborted melee with one of them, and then claiming an objective. Their new aspiring champion should be fun with the armour piercing ammo wargear and his meltagun! An actual combi-melta isn't worth it with the 2nd edition 50% tax on Imperial wargear. So he's just got a bolter and meltagun, which is functionally the same as a CSM combi-melta anyway.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Achinadav

This is a great project! I'm a big proponent of playing older editions and it's cool to see Oldhammer getting some love (though calling the models I grew up with 'Oldhammer' now makes me feel old!). Those Noise Marines a real blast from the past in particularly :) Keep it up!

Thanks chaps. It was down to the Oldhammer forum that I was able to find another 2nd ed 40K gamer in the area. Neither of us is particularly fussy about using models from the era, so you'll see modern ones cropping up. I'm ever hopeful for new noise marines and basic csm/chosen... Those old noise marines have a funny place in my heart. They're goofy looking, but kind of in a cute way, for an post-human killing machine, anyway. I'm hoping dullcote will make the old stuff easier to photograph, combined with more practise and maybe using a proper camera instead of my phone for speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a quiet couple of weeks on the hobby front thanks to a week travelling for work and whatnot. So I had a dig around and found some photos of older toy soldiers. This includes some inquisitorial retinues and bad guys, as well as some true scale marines. Here's the retinue of a violently sociopathic inquisitor who believes in the precise application of overwhelming force, and little else:

39946998520_e553953230_c.jpg

And an Ordo Hereticus inquisitor who has somehow acquired the services of a Ravenwing veteran:

41754977351_e737550fa5_c.jpg

This chap is a mercenary who has 3 companions, although I can't find a decent photo of them together:

39946977580_96dfcda899_n.jpg

The idea is that they're the remnants of a radical Ordo Xenos inquisitor's retinue and so have mixed-and-matched gear, hence the T'au markerlight on this chap's custom autorifle.

Edited by Achinadav

Fantastic inquistors and retinues, I must ask where the parts are from; I think I see Wulfrik, an enforcer and a Forgeworld Empire command model as bases?

Liking the poses of the sorcerors as well, particularly Moon.

Fantastic inquistors and retinues, I must ask where the parts are from; I think I see Wulfrik, an enforcer and a Forgeworld Empire command model as bases?

Liking the poses of the sorcerors as well, particularly Moon.

Thanks Pearson73. The inquisitor uses this Khorne champion as his base. I had a metal version for years, but ended up getting one in finecast for the conversion because of all the material that needed removing. Dead right on the enforcer, I've still got his head, which is awesome, I just wanted to use my favourite scion one. The second inquisitor is a Forgeworld event only warrior priest with greenstuffed boots over the naked feet.

I loved the second edition. Best version so far. :smile.:

I certainly think so

Edited by Achinadav

Reading through this, I was momentarily excited about Oldhammer in Cambridge before I realized you meant O. G. Cambridge and not Cambridge here in Massachusetts.

Honestly, I don't understand why they didn't call ours New Cambridge, or NeoCambridge, or NeoMegaCambridge, or something.

Anyway.

Your conversions are really lovely, but don't quite make up for my disappointment in the total absence of leopard print on your noise marines.

Sorry to disappoint, on two fronts, Calyptra, but thank you for the compliment. I actually got a bit over excited when first googling for "oldhammer Cambridge" got a great result...in your neck of the woods. So might be worth a try, if you're interested in it. Unfortunately, I haven't saved the link, so can't furnish you with it.

As for the leopard print, well, I was tempted. But ultimately knew I couldn't pull it off. This was my third 2nd edition army, having previously dabbled with counts as Space Wolves and  Codex Ultramarines. Those armies both had, ummm, eclectic colour schemes with little thought on how cohesive they'd look. With my chaos force, I decided I wanted a unified look. And yes, I have developed a sense of irony since. So I chose a noise marine scheme that stood out from the rest of the Word Bearers whilst being constant across the squad. And the acid green and electric green are quite headache inducing :wink:

Today I scored a rhino with Slaaneshi/Emperor's Children Forgeworld doors on ebay. This is going to be the personal ride of the fourth member of my Dark Apostle's sorcerous cabal. I'm very excited! This chap is made from a kakophoni body and I've tried to add chaos marine-like trim to his armour. He's an ex-Emperor's Child, so will be in purple and gold. Now I just need to finish him, actually paint something, and work out what his bodyguard of former palatine blades will be made from (maybe palatine blades, as that seems obvious).

Picture so not all words:

27885620708_7b62eed633_c.jpg

Two other mercenaries for the radical Ordo Xenos inquisitor. A dark elder into serious body modification and a t'au scout.

Edited by Achinadav

• 2 weeks later...

Been a slow couple of weeks on the hobby front. Going away for work and being unwell really broke my momentum. So I've ended up adding to the Chapter of Bare Metal & Plastic in the Legion of Grey by assembling instead of painting. Ooops. Here's the final member of my sorcerous cabal, Atraxes the Defiled:

42131772391_666a0f15ec_z.jpg

I'm going to be using him as a 3rd level sorcerer with a force sword, Hood of Hellfire (caboom! to much fun even with the 50% tax for taking imperial only gear) and probably a refractor field. There's some green stuff work to be done, filling in gaps on his spliced together right arm and the plasticard trim that I added to his armour. Although I'm not certain about that now. Might just remove it.

Atraxes is going to be accompanied by a trio of Emperor's Children equipped with powerswords and chainswords. Double parries can be quite fun/nasty in 2nd edition by giving you the choice to make your opponent reroll dice in close combat. Its kind of cheap lightning claws in that regard. Although that means they're not going to be able to splat things with power fists, and they're paying an extra 50% for the power swords. Here's number 1:

42131774091_2e1eb0e43e_z.jpg

I particularly love this palatine blade pose, so much so that I've got another one to use as a Dark Angel master to go with the rest of my ancient Dark Vengeance.

And here's number 2:

41231279225_b164362383_z.jpg

One more to go, who needs some greenstuff on his very thin resin collar and a good scrub before he can go together.

• 2 weeks later...

I was mostly just looking for an excuse to use the reiver heads, I've loved them since I saw them :smile.: And the palatines and kakophoni are lovely bodies. The palatine heads are a bit goofy, though.

My rhino with Emperor's Children doors turned out to be, um, enthusiastically glued together. The doors are still separate, so I engaged my own enthusiasm and took a scalpel to it. Its cleaned it up somewhat and now needs some green stuff gap filling to be as good as new. However, it turns out I have a confession.

My name is Achinadav and I have an eBay problem:

41404399525_7bc43c6de4_z.jpg

41404400715_1eb70f42e0_z.jpg

This little beauty popped up a couple of days after the other one. Given the doors, extra armour and tracks he was quite the wee bargain. So now my non-existent Dark Apostle has a personal transport too (so I should really get on and convert him...). Working on using some inferno cannons to make extra engines to offset the speed penalty from the 2nd edition extra armour vehicle card. I also have an old Ravenwing upgrade sprue kicking around and I'd like to mount the enormous book on there somewhere, I just think it'll look weird slapped on top, any ideas?

The front panel needs a Khorne rune trimmed off the skull and there's a Khorne icon on the back ramp, the engines'll cover that. A quick google suggest that it's old World Eater doors on there, but I think they pass as a somewhat modified Word Bearer demon head and it looks like a normal eightfold star behind it.

I had today off due to the wonderful civil service tradition of so-called privilege days. So full of enthusiasm for my new thoroughly pimped rhino, decided to spend a couple of hours trying to butcher my finecast dark apostle. See I like the detail of the armour, but the head is horrible and both arms in the air, really? Plus all that parchment and standing on a pile of books in the middle of a battlefield...So the right arm and head have to go, backpack will be replaced by a noise marine one (probably) and the pile of books'll be swapped for a hero rock. Or an Ultramarine head maybe the one from their upgrade sprue :devil:

I generally like finecast for conversions. Obviously much softer than white metal and also a slightly different texture to polystyrene, which I find makes for much more precise and straight cuts. The dark apostle has a lot of gates, it took the best part of an hour just to clean them up, but this is how he looked when I finished:

42349987381_12a3b7df2b_n.jpg

I'll need to rebuild some of his left shoulder once the torso front is on. I'm going to uee the orginal right arm reposed to hang by his side. I can't decide if I want to shorten the parchment streamers hanging from his torso...And I want a more ornate head for his crozius, I just haven't rooted through my bits box yet. As for his head, got lots of options, although this guy is tiny and so his collar might need altered for some of them.

In game he'll be Dal Khor Rahl, a chaos lord with power maul, conversion field and probably a master-crafted bolt pistol. And maybe the scream of Slaanesh for fits and giggles. At higher points levels I'd be tempted to throw a Mark of Tzeentch and some psyker levels on him. Except that'll mean figuring out if he then has to take Tzeentch as his primary power deck, because the 2nd edition is silent on the matter. My opponent and I have been chatting about making some options, I.e. plague marines and rubrics, more interesting and differentiated from each other, as well as adding troops from later editions, like raptors and possessed. So maybe we'll get to dark apostles at some point...

Not the most fascinating update, so here's some truescale marines from a while ago:

40855709855_a01dbe38fb_z.jpg

Edited by Achinadav

Oh man, 2nd edition. It had just come out when I joined 40k. It's still my first hobby love. So much so, in fact, that I created an entire loyalist force for 2nd edition when 3rd edition had already been on the shelves for well over a year.

If I may give you some advice; noise marine terminators with blast masters are some of the best unis in the entire game - and they're fluffy as hell.

As you seem to be mostly into Slaanesh, I won't tell you about the nurgle icon bearer on bike with the plague banner combo. Oh wait, I just did. It's the filthiest thing imaginable: get first turn, drive the thing into the opponent's deployment zone, and dish out d6 unsaveable wounds. Bye bye terminator squad... this combo taught me that the spirit of the game is so much more important than winning lol. Still, it's fun to reminisce.

Anyway, it's super cool to see your army project take shape. I'm looking forward to see more!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Looking forward to seeing what you do for the dark apostle, and those true scale marines look great!

Those true-scale fellas look spot on, the middle one with the mace especially has a great sense of weight about him.

Thanks chaps. I got all enthusiastic about truescale marines and ended up building more than "just one" that I meant to :smile.: I've got a couple of chaos one built using Gal Vorbak, although I can't find any decent photos and I'm currently on the other side of the world to the minis, so can't take some. I really should add some paint at some point...

Oh man, 2nd edition. It had just come out when I joined 40k. It's still my first hobby love. So much so, in fact, that I created an entire loyalist force for 2nd edition when 3rd edition had already been on the shelves for well over a year.

If I may give you some advice; noise marine terminators with blast masters are some of the best unis in the entire game - and they're fluffy as hell.

As you seem to be mostly into Slaanesh, I won't tell you about the nurgle icon bearer on bike with the plague banner combo. Oh wait, I just did. It's the filthiest thing imaginable: get first turn, drive the thing into the opponent's deployment zone, and dish out d6 unsaveable wounds. Bye bye terminator squad... this combo taught me that the spirit of the game is so much more important than winning lol. Still, it's fun to reminisce.

Anyway, it's super cool to see your army project take shape. I'm looking forward to see more!

I've been toying with converting more terminators, I've got 7 of the original metal ones, but I hate the wasp waist on the current plastics. I'm also ever hopeful that we might be in for a new chaos marine release and maybe some new plastic kits, so holding fire at the moment. That I really need to paint something...My travels for work are really getting in the way of hobby time!

Gamewise, I'm actually trying to curb some of the worst excesses of my youth. How un-Slaaneshi of me! We've made a few gentlmen's agreements, limiting psyker levels and whatnot, to try and prevent certain things. My favourite used to be a chief librarian with a jump pack, conversion field and forcesword. He regularly made mincemeat out of terminator squads. Drawing Vortex of Doom (muahahahahaha) and Ultimate Force never hurt either. A bit of a mean trick to pull on someone when they haven't played before, not that I ever did that...honest...I think 2nd edition was designed for a game you play with your mates with the designers assuming that you all wanted to have fun and not beat each other into the ground with a mallet. That idea escaped me as a teenager.

The meanest combinations I had used against me were with Eldar. Why are they the only race who can have characters take the wargear of special characters? Mask of Jain Zar on a Swopping Hawk exarch (with the Executioner) still gives me nightmares! Not exactly what was intended, me thinks.

Edited by Achinadav

.I think 2nd edition was designed for a game you play with your mates with the designers assuming that you all wanted to have fun and not beat each other into the ground with a mallet. That idea escaped me as a teenager.

QFT

Aw man, this gets me back. I had three friends and we regularly held duo 4000 points battles that would take the entire day to do. I played Chaos, there was a Dark Angel player, an Ultramarine player, and an Eldar player. Alliances didn't matter. My Eldar opponent always fielded a Swooping Hawk Exarch with a power fist. Set it up behind a wall. First turn, he got it to 'fly high'. Second turn, he'd land it on whatever armoured vehicle I had and smas it apart. We had a cry for it, mimicking what he'd exclaim very time he did that: "Swooping Hawk Exarch! POWER FIST ZZZZSCHEDENG!!" Eventually. the Dark Angel player and I divised the 'Leman Russ Get Out Of My Way Tank", which was a Tzeentch Possessed tentacled Leman Russ with its pintle storm bolter replaced by a Cyclone Missile Launcher, and Azrael hiding behind it's turret, so his Watcher in the Dark could be set up right on top of the Ltanks copula, giving it a 4+ invul save. The Exarch  got pushed off thevehicle immediately upon landing, and was subsequently chopped to pieces by Azrael. NICE! :D

• 1 month later...

Three weeks in Australia, without a toy soldier or paint brush in sight, and returning to the UK for a prolonged heat wave pushed my hobby productivity off a metaphorical cliff edge. Modelling and/or painting in >30oC is not something I enjoy. However, I've now got a game scheduled for this Saturday, so progress must be made! I've got Friday off to crack on with a couple of projects and will see how much I get done before then in the evening. I have made some terrain progress, though.

I finally gave in and ordered the Plast Craft Gothic Millennium cathedral that my 50p's have been saved for. I really like their building kits, the TME modules that I brought earlier in the year went together really easily, they're basically little boxes (made of ticky tacky and they all look just the same). They stack, to make towers, and are very modular. The bridges and walkways connect well and would make for a good Necromunda/3D environment. Although the instructions are purely pictorial and really not much help. By the time you've put a couple together, you don't even need the instructions.

The cathedral is a lot more complicated and takes longer, and the instructions just as bare bones. Its really well designed, from an aesthetic and sturdiness point of view, but a more advanced modelling kit than a bunch of little boxes. The walls are sandwiches of either three pieces of foamed PVC or MDF with PVC on either side. It means that the walls have printed detail on either side and window (frames) of MDF. The construction tolerances are very fine, which means that if you're slightly off on positioning, and there are no lugs to aid that, then final assembly can be tricky. Both MDF and PVC can be filed and trimmed with a craft knife easily enough. So mostly it works out in the end. Except when I got to the Apse of Glory. This is a very sturdy little building with PVC-MDF-PVC sandwich walls and rafters. To get the roof to fit, all of those pieces have to go together with sub-millimetre accuracy and the piece of MDF on the top of the walls has to connect across multiple angled pieces, none of which are at the same angle.

I got this wrong.

The roof did not fit.

Argghhhh!! Fortunately, the MDF and PVC bond so quickly with superglue that I was using tiny dots of a gel superglue, and so I could use the flat of my craft knife to ease everything apart. I couldn't find any assembly guides on line, so here's a few shots with some explanations of just want went wrong, as a cautionary tale.

This is the skeleton of the Apse, after I disassembled it, to show you how it fits:

43697780922_b2650a6894.jpg

And slightly from the side:

29875111648_8664b78903.jpg

Each of the panels is separate and there's an upright that forms the rafters for the roof. To get the flat piece on that forms the tope of the walls, each of the panels and the uprights have to be very precisely placed. The PVC panels that then form the outer layers of the sandwich, can push them out of place very easily. To get around this, I took the top piece off and slid the interior panels in without gluing them:

43030105154_ba99b82572.jpg

That means that the uprights can adjust, as can the interior panels, and everything lines up properly:

42841803055_ed8e6fd558.jpg

Put the top piece back on and then glue the exterior panels in:

42841837935_8ab5d8584e.jpg

After that, its pretty much plain sailing. I went around and glued the uprights and the MDF part of the sandwich in place. And here's the finished Apse for my Word Bearers to fight over:

43697785412_c6a670a749.jpg

I've not got just the Portico of Penance left to go. Hope to bash that out tomorrow and show you what the whole thing looks like.

Painting update to follow later this week, with maybe some game photos at the weekend!

Edited by Achinadav