It did take a while, but it wasn't too bad - I was playing late game Crusader Kings 3 at the time, which seriously chugs on my machine (especially whenever opening a window of the people in my court, of which there were rough 1000+) at the time, and would paint a bit of highlights every time the game lagged.
I already have all the Shadowspear chaos models, and have painted a venomcrawler and oblits already (see them here: http://www.bolterand...dren/?p=5453795 ) - indeed, I seem to recall that it was my painting my venomcrawler that encouraged you to paint one for yourself. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5433716 . And I agree, they are nice models to paint - I imagine the second set should also be fun.
Right in one!
So, I've decided to no longer wait for a dedicated codex and have decided to do a unit of melee noise marines. After all, I need something appropriate to put in my newly painted rhino and landraider. I figured I would make a unit of 10 out of the melee shadowspear guys... I already had 5 from my previous purchase, but would need 5 more hence the newly purcahased Let's Start Collecting.
I've decided to convert, repose and/or kitbash every model in this latest box, though that may not happen for the bolter marines, as I have no immediate plans for those. We'll have to see if that resolve sticks when I get to the venomcrawler - I fear that reposing that model may be beyond my capabilities.
First conversion was pretty easy - giving a chaincannon to the autocannon guy, the rotary barrels nabbed from one of the oblits.
It was a straight swap - the autocannon barrels (minus the close combat attachment) went onto the obliterator.
For the oblits, I thought they needed a little something to distinguish them from my first set, so I swapped the arms between them. I also replaced their faces with helmetless ones - from the mutli-option hellbrute kit for the plasma oblit, and the dark vengeance hellbrute for the autocannon oblit (the last was a bugger to get into place and I ended up gluing it on looking down, so you really can't see it without lifting the model). I'm glad I did - I find with hellbrutes and oblits, reorienting their tiny head goes a long way to reorienting the direction of the model and as result has a surprisingly large role in making any such conversion look different from the original. Here they are - they are almost done, just need a little more greenstuffing and cabling for their right arms.
And here is a picture with my painted ones to show the difference:
Finally, I've been working on the first 5 melee noise marines - these guys had been assembled stock when I first bought them, then I disected them by cutting off their arms and the rear of their torsos. The rear torsos were then replaced with those of the fantasy chaos warriors, trimmed appropriately to accomodate the large shoulder pads. One thing to note is that this method keeps the original CSM legs and torsos, allowing for the retention of more detail and more dynamic posings. I'll post a how to when I do up the second group of 5 using unassembled models.
Edited by Dr_Ruminahui, 16 June 2021 - 05:21 AM.