Terminators... best uses and loadouts?

mjrwaud

It also wouldn't impact much of the problem units with the twin assault cannons - they're a different entry entirely. They could remain heavy, as maybe they should. 

But single ACs should be assault. Can't think of anywhere else they're available as a single choice outside of the two small flyers and on Terminators. 

I'm moderately annoyed that the AC Termies I lovingly converted up back in 7th are potato now compared to SB Termies.  Dangit, GW . . . :dry.:

Totally wish the assault cannon was an assault weapon lol

Absolutely. I'm looking at my painted inventory for what I could currently use and I'm looking at these 2 assault cannon termies and I love the models.... such a waste now.

It also wouldn't impact much of the problem units with the twin assault cannons - they're a different entry entirely. They could remain heavy, as maybe they should. 

But single ACs should be assault. Can't think of anywhere else they're available as a single choice outside of the two small flyers and on Terminators. 

I mean, that's literally the advantage of the AC in most material is that it can lay down suppressing fire while advancing, in particular with Terminators.  I suppose that GW wanted to emphasize the "value" of Centurion armour for 8th, but frankly the removal of "firing platform" rules from Terminators is just daft IMHO.

Looks at terminators built long ago...

Assault Cannons? :(

Cyclones? :(

Heavy flamers? :( 

Lightning claws? ?

Thunder Hammer / Storm shield? :|

The assault cannons and heavy flamers are particularly disappointing... I really do wish they'd reinstate terminators ability to move and shoot heavy weapons without penalty, it certainly would bring them back towards viability.

I think DW Termies can be pretty good, but are over costed.

A unit of 5 with 3 Cyclone Missile launchers, and all packing SIA storm bolters is pretty killy in shooting.

I've tried to fit the 5 or so Terminators I have into DW lists, both independently and Kill Team wise.  At this point, they're so ridiculously expensive that I feel they're probably the worst unit in the 'dex.  This makes me extremely sad, but the proof is in the points cost pudding. :(

Only thing I can see as useful is that terminators with storm bolter and power sword can inherently deep strike whilst being the cheapest setup.

Only thing I can see as useful is that terminators with storm bolter and power sword can inherently deep strike whilst being the cheapest setup.

And yet, between Strategems, Vanguard Veterans/Reivers and even the Corvus to just transport dudes in, there are so many better options to achieve the same goal.  It makes me very sad that GW chose to max out the cost of DW Terminators, especially given the points reduction every other Astartes list got on them.  Such a shame . . .

And yet, between Strategems, Vanguard Veterans/Reivers and even the Corvus to just transport dudes in, there are so many better options to achieve the same goal.  It makes me very sad that GW chose to max out the cost of DW Terminators, especially given the points reduction every other Astartes list got on them.  Such a shame . . .

I think the hope here is that this is unintentional - though I imagine that may not be the case considering other Terms don't get Unflinching, right? Definitely not worth 5 ppm, but we'll see what happens in a week and a half. 

The only place I see Terms is as a single addition in a Vet squad to tank low AP shots that the storm shields would rather not deal with. 

I think the hope here is that this is unintentional - though I imagine that may not be the case considering other Terms don't get Unflinching, right? Definitely not worth 5 ppm, but we'll see what happens in a week and a half. 

The only place I see Terms is as a single addition in a Vet squad to tank low AP shots that the storm shields would rather not deal with.

GW has always undervalued ATSKNF, from what I can tell.  SM have never really needed "Fearless" and 5 ppm for this perk is an astonishing tax.  Tanking wounds is a decent argument, but the ready availability of 5 point Storm Shields creates a strong counterpoint.

GW has always undervalued ATSKNF, from what I can tell.  SM have never really needed "Fearless" and 5 ppm for this perk is an astonishing tax.  Tanking wounds is a decent argument, but the ready availability of 5 point Storm Shields creates a strong counterpoint.

I'm personally not a fan of storm shields tanking AP 0 shots. They're still only 1 wound after all, and I'm not benefiting from the storm shield in that case. The Terminator instead gives me another SIA stormbolter and 2 wounds at 2+. I don't see the point in giving him a buddy, though - he'll be a lone ranger in the group ;) 

Then use the storm shields to tank anything that wants to remove marine armour. I think this will end up being successful - I've only ever had experience running the Primaris kill teams so far. 

And yet, between Strategems, Vanguard Veterans/Reivers and even the Corvus to just transport dudes in, there are so many better options to achieve the same goal. It makes me very sad that GW chose to max out the cost of DW Terminators, especially given the points reduction every other Astartes list got on them. Such a shame . . .

Oh no I completely agree, those terminators set up in that way compete with too many other units that can do the same thing for cheaper or in a better slot :(

I kind of wish they had access to tartaros and cataphractii too, but that's another matter!

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a Tartaros Termie in the kill teams! Sadly, it's not too be!

FWIW, if anyone wanted to convert and paint up a Tartaros/Cataphractii/whatever Terminator as DW, I would be fine with them using it as whatever variant of Terminator is provided in C: DW.  I doubt any rational player would have an issue, either.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a Tartaros Termie in the kill teams! Sadly, it's not too be!

FWIW, if anyone wanted to convert and paint up a Tartaros/Cataphractii/whatever Terminator as DW, I would be fine with them using it as whatever variant of Terminator is provided in C: DW.  I doubt any rational player would have an issue, either.

I picked up the "Burning of Prospero" set awhile back specifically for the Tartaros terminator and Mk III marines, both are such great looking armour types! Hard to decide how to gear them up though... probably just storm (combi) bolters and lightning claw (treat as power sword).

I picked up the "Burning of Prospero" set awhile back specifically for the Tartaros terminator and Mk III marines, both are such great looking armour types! Hard to decide how to gear them up though... probably just storm (combi) bolters and lightning claw (treat as power sword).

For those of you that want pimp your Tartaros and cataprachtii (sp?) armor to use in DW then these would be a good addition possibly:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/TQYUVE423/death-s-watch-tartara-shoulder-pads-x20

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LAY3YW365/death-s-watch-katafraktus-shoulder-pads-x10?optionId=64950260&li=marketplace

I havent seen these personally so I dont know how good they are.

Archived