501st Swaibian, olde Cadian style

Arkaniss

They've been sitting in simple green for about a year now. Should be about time to get them out and start scrubbing.

Oh wow - let me know how well they scrubbed up! A year is crazy, hopefully it makes them really easy to get clean.

Cheers for the post GuardDaddy but the old metal Cadians use slotta bases and I'm trying to do everything cheap so no buying bases :yes:

Just one more model to finish off on my other project, then I'll be looking at getting a couple of squads started! If I aim for the basic 2 HQ and 3 Troop choices I think that's a decent beginning :thumbsup:

I had some steel legion in simple green for I think geeze 2-4 years including two plastic/metal sentinels the old Armageddon ones. Paint was basically already off, was the easiest time I every had stripping models. I love simple green, stuff has never let me down and has never did anything drastic to my models.

(For those that consume alcohol btw. If you Mix Jagermister and Mountain Dew together, you get the same color and smell as simple green)

Krash

I guess if you have the time then long baths are just the stuff! :D I finished my other project last night (early for the Thursday game which is nice!) so now I can turn my attention to my IG. I will have to do a bit more clean up work with them but I'm hoping to get them based and under coated this weekend. Couple of squads and perhaps two HQ characters I think :)

• 4 months later...

Hello again peeps! I've decided I need some motivation to get started: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/356297-astra-militarum-outpost/?do=findComment&comment=5326317

As you can see I also vowed Celestine and friends, so I think I'll document them here too as I'm not ready to start a Sisters thread yet.

Cheers! The eyes are a pain but no-one really looks in such detail on models (especially horde armies like IG!) so you can afford to be a little sloppy sometimes ;)

Yes this is a slightly revised scheme from my two original models from IG painting challenges and I'm pleased with how they turned out. They are nice and dark with just a few brighter colours to draw the eye :happy.: The Commissar turned out well too I'll have to find another old model to paint I quite enjoyed it.

• 4 weeks later...

With the IG part of my vow reaching completion I set myself a deadline to finish them and included them in a list for a game on Sunday :ohmy.: Well it worked and I got them all finished on Saturday :woot:

gallery_27469_9459_531322.jpg

I thought the fluff behind the army would be some Imperial Guardsmen needing reinforcements to hold the line and some nearby Blood Angels coming in to save the day. Which is mostly how this game turned out, albeit with the Terminators coming in to win the game and steal the glory all by themselves :laugh.:

Here you can see the paint scheme working as intended :thumbsup:

med_gallery_27469_9459_144194.jpg

The brave Company Commander charges in to help the Scouts against the Tyranid menace:

med_gallery_27469_9459_189661.jpg

The Brood Lord wipes out the accompanying IG squad (despite the Lord Commissar shooting one to try and make them stay) and so the Lord Commissar himself resolutely steps forward to continue the fight. The Commissariat practice what they preach:

med_gallery_27469_9459_837256.jpg

The game ends here when my opponent calls it. The Blood Angels and Guard held the line long enough for the Terminator reinforcements to crush the enemy and save the day:

med_gallery_27469_9459_476388.jpg

I then played a game against Chaos Marines which I lost but I didn't really take pictures myself. It actually went similar to this first game, although the Terminators didn't come in to save the day this time, and so the day went badly :biggrin.: I did learn a lot about Guardsmen though - mostly how they can't be relied upon to do much :sweat: However it's nice when now and then they get a wound or two on some big bad!

Cheers! Though to be fair two squads of Guardsmen aren't going to do much, even at 750pts. Now, once I get more models done and start introducing some Heavy Weapons... :thumbsup:

I did come to appreciate Flamers I have to say - the Flamer Guardsman I had did good work. More Flamers later I think!