Very cool idea. That little guy reminded me of P.T. Flea from A Bug's Life. Just give him a little top-hot and he's set :biggrin.:

I like the idea of a top hat. Would tie in well with the ringmaster.

Because I'm beginning to figure him out, and this is where he's at ATM:

gallery_80057_14767_45801.jpg

Edited by K0rtmer

• 3 weeks later...

I put off trying this conversion for about a year or so. Finally mustered the courage to give it a go. Not so much worried about losing a poxwalker in the process, but there's a lot of material to be cut out of the coat and not much to leave behind. Didn't want to use a power tool (and I'm not too confident with my cheap dremel either), so I went the long way. Suffice to say that the model is already christened with blood from both thumbs. LOL

For the record, I'm not even trying to be original. First seen on Warhammer Community. But I take a good idea where I find one and I wanted this model for the Carnival from the very beginning.

gallery_80057_14767_45893.jpg

I've made minor progress with some of the others, notably with some splicing of limbs on the nurglings and with Elephant Man's beanie. I realise I'm getting carried away with them. But, hey, whatever.

gallery_80057_14767_485919.jpg

gallery_80057_14767_50124.jpg

gallery_80057_14767_608100.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Needed a bit of a break from the Carnival, but have too much going on to commit to a squad of Space Crusade models, so I've decided to have a go at the terminator I picked up for cheap.

gallery_80057_14767_271309.jpg

gallery_80057_14767_554586.jpg

In the meantime I learned that characters can't take heavy weapons in 2nd edition, meaning the model is invalid as a HQ choice for my army. Ah, well. IDC. I had fun painting.

• 4 weeks later...

More of a break from the Carnival, and an attempt to clear some backlog. Back to Oldhammer.

First up, trying to finish up what I've got for the Black Legion. I had an old metal Abaddon in a job lot that I picked up for cheap a long time ago, and obviously I'm wanting to do him justice. IDK why the model got so much hate. His arms don't seem that short. Currently trying to work out how I want to paint the sword, and this is where I'm at AMT:

gallery_80057_10843_155337.jpg

Otherwise, I took half a day and did some serious stripping and scrubbing. Ended up applying oven cleaner to have a go at the thick enamel paint that I couldn't get off the plastic. Harshest thing I've ever done to a model. With almost all of the cleaning done, I went straight to assembly. Things escalated quickly from there.

gallery_80057_14767_535098.jpg

gallery_80057_14767_1013560.jpg

I should have enough parts to build a Predator and a Whirlwind. Both will be magnetised to be able to make one a Rhino, so I can field all three combinations. Not easy, and required emergency sourcing of spares when I realised that some of the parts I had were damaged beyond repair. But, getting there. The Predator is built and not really showing its age.

gallery_80057_14767_87384.jpg

gallery_80057_14767_107251.jpg

gallery_80057_14767_47048.jpg

I'm aiming at having all my remaining vehicles built before Feb 25, which is the deadline for a painting competition I'm intending to sign up for. Ambitious schedule: wanting to get 1000 points painted in 6 months. I've no hope getting there, ever, if I don't even have the models built. There's an old Mk I Land Raider in the mix as well, so I'll be busy. Planning to update here accordingly. Thanks for reading.

Abaddon is done.

gallery_80057_10843_711550.jpg

Can't say I'm 100% happy with every detail, but really wanted to get him done, if only to make capacity for the upcoming tank builds. He looks good at an arm's length and that's probably as good as it gets.

I also have a warp banner now. Also, my champion finally has an appropriate backpack:

gallery_80057_10843_212088.jpg

I only found out how much I dislike the icon bearer sculpt when I painted him. Absolutely not a fan of the silly fur or animal skin, or whatever it is, and I wasn't sure whether he's got a helmet or just a face mask. I went with the latter in the end, if only to mix up the squad a bit. Doesn't matter. I now have a Black Legion support squad of 7 marines, an appropriate number in an otherwise mono-DG army list. I'll probably add some Berzerkers to them and maybe even two Possessed, IDK yet.

Off to build some tanks now.

• 4 weeks later...

Construction of the Predator and Whirlwind is complete. Both are fully magnetised: Predator can take any and all extras off or can be made a humble Rhino; likewise, the Whirlwind can be made a Rhino too. I couldn't bring myself to build the Land Raider yet, but it'll happen before mid-year.

gallery_80057_14767_708041.jpg

Also shown is a squad of 7 Berserkers and the 5 Chaos marines from the Space Crusade game. I've signed up for a 2nd-ed. painting competition and pledged to paint the entire lot in 6 month, starting Feb 25, in a couple days. Going by the 2nd-ed. Codex, I'm looking at just north of 1000 points. Finally I'll be mechanising my legacy Death Guard. Assuming I'll get there: 1000 points in 6 months is a very significant challenge for a slow painter like myself. Expect monthly updates at a minimum, whether I'll stay on top of the competition or not.

Ironically I've felt a bit burned out with my painting lately. Probably a good thing, because I typically bounce back with elevated energy levels. Picked up some unfinished business today to see if I can tap in anything. Couple hours later and Space Hulk terminator no. 3 was done:

gallery_80057_10843_178558.jpg

Can't say he's come out as good as I wanted him to, but I admit I was really struggling with him. The models are so low-detail and awkward - not easy to paint well. I think I stripped him down and started all over twice. Learned a good thing about weathering off-whites, and building up contrast. In the end I cut a few corners with pigments. Just wanted to get him done. Regardless, I think he looks Ok next to the other two I've already got.

It'll be a while before I can attend to the next two in line, UM and IF. Lots of 2nd-ed. stuff to work through. I'll keep this updated.

I agree, I'm a bit harsh with myself here. These particular models are difficult to paint and the Deathwing palette isn't exactly forgiving. But - I also know where the mistakes are, where the paint is a bit too thick or patchy, where too much pigment went down. Etc. It's a bias that comes with that knowledge. 

It's Ok. I've learned to let go of it. Glad you like him. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like she'll fit right in with the fam. Ready for chipping and more weathering now.

gallery_80057_14767_660377.jpg

Plus, I realised I didn't put one of these panels across the chassis in the front. Doesn't show in the pictures, but looks weird IRL. Luckily I was able to source a spare part. Currently soaking in IPA, to be primed and put on at the next opportunity. I'll probably spray a couple other parts while I'm at it. Might even prime the next month's lot already.

• 2 weeks later...