MaliGn's Underhive Adventure - shot through the heart

MaliGn

**** Some images have been lost from this thread and the replacements may not be 100% like for like with the originals. ****

Hi, and welcome to my miserable corner of the Underhive. This is where I am planning to catalogue my efforts at painting and building for Necromunda. I thoroughly enjoyed the original as a teenager and even managed to track down my old Escher Gang - The Bitch Fighters, in all their badly painted glory (I remember being very proud of them at the time) some of which may yet re-materialise after a bath in a stripping solution.

Needless to say, I like others am really impressed with the new version and vision for Necromunda, so I couldn't resist picking it up.

I have been asking progress on the contents of the box, I built the gangs stock to start with, although I have an extra box of Escher gang to use for a more bespoke gang in due course. I also saw a nifty idea in a Facebook group for using timber to build some simple, cheap Zone Mortalis walls, however I am trying to elevate the idea by applying plenty of texturing and detail to the timber.

This far I have been working on getting the box models to a serviceable level of painting, before I go back and add final details later - a process I have found much easier with the Goliath's than the Escher which have so much more going on detail wise that they demand a more thorough paint job.

I have always been prone to wandering around staring at bits of industrial units, vent units, manhole covers, and so on so I may include photos of such things amid my progress to show what I am hoping to achieve.

I don't have many photos easily accessible since a mobile broke on me, but I will try and rescue them in due course. That said I do have one or two pics that I will share for the time being.

These are my first Goliath, as you can see I have gone for a fairly classic theme with him:

Images Removed[/b}

The plan is to go back and highlight the reds, metallics and blacks a bit more and add in details like the stimm units on their backs, and their bracers. But I reckon they are a solid start. This is mostly basecoat and washes for now, some minimal highlights to the grey trousers.

I will try and dog up photos of the other things I have been working on and post them up too. In the meantime let me know what you think.

Edited by MaliGn

Here is what I am doing with walls, basically I took some timber and cut blocks to the approximate dimensions of the walls, and some square staircase bannisters to make the pillars, I have sanded and varnished them as initial preparation and am now texturing the walls with a combination of plasticard, staples, get parts and other assorted junk to make them more interesting.
gallery_62155_16800_333245.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_84239.jpg

Here is a photo I took of an inspection batch at my local train station, I use it to remind me not to worry about things being perfect as when things get worn they get messy so you can expect some quite wonky danger stripes in the future. I'm tempted to use the salt rust method when applying them!

image removed

The ladders are so that if I ever get the space to be able to start doing sector mechanicus settings then the walls will still be useful.

Edited by MaliGn

Thanks Bjorn here's some more of 'em!

gallery_62155_16800_47965.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_16398.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_28110.jpg

In the background of these photos you can see the finished articles of some of the barricades, I've aimed to start with quite colourful paints on these but to then weather them heavily with washes, sponged on bare metal and rust and a chunk of typhus corrosion to get them good and grubby. Here are some shots from before the grubbying process.

images removed

And here are my first 4 Carrion Queens, also featuring some barricades in their finished versions.

gallery_62155_16800_28198.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_50659.jpg

Oh and all the walls together predetailing.
gallery_62155_16800_13278.jpg

Edited by MaliGn

More walls!

Been adding more bits and bobs to the walls, added some textured plasticard and some parts from the vehicle accessories sprue and started working on corner detailing for the pillars.

IMAGES REMOVED

Three sections together (1 wall has only been detailed on one side)

Close up to show the treadplate patterning of the brown plasticard sheet.

I plan to finish these three sections and then paint them so that I can get a feel for how the finished pieces will look.

Edited by MaliGn

Got my first three walls finished ready for painting and also two pillars.

Plan is to do this batch and then go from there depending on the outcome.

images removed

Edited by MaliGn

Made a start on the painting just a quick drybrush of leadbelcher over black for now, plenty of weathering and detailing to come.

The yellow sections are zamesi desert with a wash of reikland fleshshade I plan to sponge over with something like screaming skull - I'll just keep playing around until I think "done".
images removed

Edited by MaliGn

Nice work on the board! That is clever and pretty darn good looking!

This could also double up for zone mortalis!

Thanks Hushrong, I took an idea I saw on a Facebook group for using timber for the walls and developed it a bit. Still got a fair way to go with the painting for these three sections and then i need to work on my plan, I may work on building the detailing on all the other sections and then getting them painted just black and silver for getting into service quickly before doing the more detailed painting after.

Those walls are really well done.

Thanks Pearson, most of the paint work has been done with a sponge to be both quick and to provide a varying texture.

Here is some further progress - I picked up some masking tape and set to adding some hazard stripes - I chose this approach for the ends in case they end up visible and around the tops because I plan for these to be useful in future 3d games as well as Underhive stuff. So ladders here and there and detailed tops.

Here's some pictures:

images removed

Comments always welcome.

Edited by MaliGn

A little bit more progress and a question: what should I do with the pillars?
I'm inclined to leave them black with the silver drybrushing and just paint up the details like the cables and metal banding.
I'm also considering an approach of Eshin grey and a Nuln oil wash plus details.
I think that a neutral approach is going to look best among the more colourful walls, especially since a fair amount of them will be concealed most of the time.

images removed

Hopefully these pictures will explain what I mean, anyone got any suggestions?

Edited by MaliGn

Great to see more color! I would honestly say look up commodus' (big refinery with lots of neat posters) and Atia's (FW zone mortalis board heavily converted) separate logs for their terrain. They have some neat stuff like the aforementioned posters and graffiti that I think you could replicate for your terrain for some more spice.

Thanks, I think that colour is an easy thing to ignore in 40k scenery, but industrial areas are still human areas and although they will get dirty, worn and so on they are not usually just grey.

I have been thinking about posters and the like and have downloaded the posters GW uploaded to Warhammer community, but may look at other sources too, i saw some used well in a Facebook post that were done as wanted posters, which seems pretty appropriate in the Underhive.

I've seen Atia's stuff, but her log is overwhelmingly large to find things these day, although I did track down her Zone Mortalis stuff which was pretty cool. I've been planning to do some gothic arches on my next few walls and some of the other ideas she used will come in handy.

Edited by MaliGn

Right, so I got cracking on the pillars, I decided to use Eshin Grey and Nuln oil for the main pillars, highlighted the metal bands with runefang steel before I applied the wash all over. I did sponge some Mournfang brown onto the walls for a bit of extra detail and did my usual technique for the grating on the top.

Then I applied posters to add interest when they are visible rather than obscured by butted up walls, I decided to be quite liberal with this as chances are at least one side will be covered by an adjacent wall.

I found the posters from a variety of sources online including yaktribe and the Warhammer community site, and others more haphazardly swiped from a Google image search. I'd like to use the wanted posters that he used in some of the initial promotion for Necromunda, but haven't found a scaled down version so far. I plan to go back and dirty them up and damage them some more once the PVA has dried.

image removed

Let me know what you think.

Edited by MaliGn

Got to work gunging up the posters - which gets me here:

images removed

I'm calling the pillars done and now just need to finish the walls.

There is a rather daunting amount more to work through.

Edited by MaliGn

Good job so far.

Thanks Bjorn, these are quite labour intensive and there are loads still to make, but the way these initial parts have developed has given me faith that the overall project is worthwhile.

I'm liking the range of colours on the walls, the oil stains are really well done too.

Thanks, I've discussed my theory on the colours before, and of you look back to some of the old studio necromunda terrain then that had plenty of (muted) colour to it. The oil streaks are a mixture of Nuln oil, seraphim sepia and typhus corrosion, often smeared away with a finger tip. I may be missing a trick by neglecting the Nuln oil gloss so I may try that on future pieces.

I realised that it's not easy to make out some of the graffiti work I've done. On these so I've taken a couple of close ups, these are based on the names of the stock gangs published by GW and my own research into tagging styles and graffiti art - to this end I have tried to create a distinct look to the style used by each house. Plans for the future will involve bigger throw-ups and pieces as well as the more modest things I have done this far.

gallery_62155_16800_597123.jpg

Iron Lords throw up and tags for Varik, Brakk and Rork (Goliath)

gallery_62155_16800_23536.jpg

Different Nokomi tags, and throw ups for the Carrion Queens and based on the Escher T-Shirt.

Edited by MaliGn

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so during the outage I made progress with the walls, the first batch are done:

gallery_62155_16800_160523.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_441091.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_38901.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_679481.jpg

And then I moved on with some more pieces, which I will fast forward to the point where I had some basecoat on (there are six pillars and two wall sections)

images removed

As you may be able to tell the section with the pipes is to go here:
image removed

And here is a pic with some gangers in front of the first finished wall sections:
gallery_62155_16800_779568.jpg

Cheers for looking.

Edited by MaliGn

To mentor an update on the new pieces:

I've pretty much finished the pillars:
gallery_62155_16800_580364.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_553661.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_652072.jpg
gallery_62155_16800_493115.jpg

gallery_62155_16800_493115.jpg

And made good progress on the walls, they still need hazard stripes, grime graffiti and other details, but we are getting there.
images removed

Please, feel free to leave comments so i'm not just talking to myself.

Edited by MaliGn