Captain Semper's Adeptus Titanicus project

Captain Semper

Seriously unhappy with progress... :(

I think I may have to scrap it. I can’t remember the last time I failed so badly in a project... Writing-off 85 euros is tough, but it may be the only way to preserve dignity...

I mean you can actually see the brush strokes... :no:

Don't just trash it! There's some great, plastic safe, paint strippers. I was pointed toward Super Drug's acetone free nail varnish remover. Only needs a quick dip, leave it too long and it'll soften the plastic. It might also blur detail if left in too long. Better done sooner rather than later. I stripped a daemonette within days and it worked brilliantly, left the rest for a week and struggled.

Don’t scrap it man! I normally use biostrip 20 for stripping models, doesn’t smell bad or harm the plastic and works really well. There are plenty of reviews and videos about if you do a search.

Only problem is that I’m not sure how available it is in Greece. I got mine off eBay, but i’m sure someone would ship to Europe.

But seriously, it’s not worth writing it off!

Biostrip 20 is definitely what you want. I'm normally a firm advocate for Dettol, but the Biostrip is a lot thicker and will "stick" to the model even when you can't fully dunk it. I also stripped my Warlord's main chassis after I borked the auto primer and obscured a lot of detail and it worked great - dunk the bottom half in the goo, then flip it over and immerse the top half and leave for ~30 mins, then give it a good scrub with a toothbrush and plenty of dish soap(water will cause the paint & Biostrip goo to congeal unless it's thoroughly mixed with the soap first IME) and rinse it under a tap if you can. It might need a second cycle through, but the end result should be good as new.

Edited by Yodhrin

Biostrip 20 eh? I’m not sure of its availability over here... I might need to order it. Dettol on the other hand and aceton-free nail varnish are readily available... I might go with Dettol but I’ve never done this before... :unsure:

Biostrip 20 eh? I’m not sure of its availability over here... I might need to order it. Dettol on the other hand and aceton-free nail varnish are readily available... I might go with Dettol but I’ve never done this before... :unsure.:

You should be able to order it off ebay or Amazon or the like, that's where I got it. A 500ml tub will do. EDIT: Oh, and in both the case of Biostrip and Dettol - don't throw it away, I've done almost 100 infantry models from one 500ml bottle of Dettol in the past, you can keep using it for ages so long as you keep it in a sealed container.

Dettol should work fine as well, it will just be messier and maybe require you to work in stages top half/bottom half, since it's liquid enough that you have to immerse the model in it to ensure it stays in contact with the paint. Otherwise, same process as the Biostrip - dunk, wait 30 mins, scrub with toothbrush & dishsoap, rinse and then repeat if necessary. Stripping seems daunting at first but with stuff like Dettol and Biostrip you literally cannot go wrong - I've left plastic models in Dettol for literally weeks with no ill effect, these products cannot damage plastic models so you can just keep dunking & scrubbing until it's cleaned up. With normal acrylics though it's rare you'll need to do it more than twice, especially when the paint is still relatively fresh as in this case.

Edited by Yodhrin

Ok, well, I’ll go with dettol as I can do this as early as today - not have to wait for delivery!

I also like the half dip approach as the bottom part of the Oreo is ok - it’s only the top that I messed up....

So the process is:

1. Get dettol in a container

2. Dip the model (or the part of the model I want) into the container for 30mins (or more?)

3. Take it out and use a toothbrush to take off the paint.

4. Repeat process for more thorough results

5. Clean with tub water (and soap? )

Is that it? In step 3, do I rinse it with water before scrubbing it with the toothbrush or should the dettol still be on the model?

Oh, and thanks everyone, you’ve been very helpful and supportive...

Don't rinse with water, it makes everything very sticky and you'll end up with a thin smear of paint left behind. Soap or washing up liquid first and a damn good scrub! You might get a lingering smell with Dettol and plastic. Time, or a quick dunk in acetone free nail polish remover, seems to help with that.

Ok, well, I’ll go with dettol as I can do this as early as today - not have to wait for delivery!

I also like the half dip approach as the bottom part of the Oreo is ok - it’s only the top that I messed up....

So the process is:

1. Get dettol in a container

2. Dip the model (or the part of the model I want) into the container for 30mins (or more?)

3. Take it out and use a toothbrush to take off the paint.

4. Repeat process for more thorough results

5. Clean with tub water (and soap? )

Is that it? In step 3, do I rinse it with water before scrubbing it with the toothbrush or should the dettol still be on the model?

Oh, and thanks everyone, you’ve been very helpful and supportive...

I'd recommend:

1. Dettol in container.

2. Submerge what you want to strip for 30 mins(you can leave it more if you like, but I've found two short soaks with a scrub in between will remove more paint than one long soak unless you're going to leave it in there overnight or longer).

3. Gently scrub at the submerged portion with a toothbrush while it's still in the Dettol.

4. Remove the model and heavily slather dish soap liquid over the stripped portion, then scrub again *without* adding water - you want the dish soap to break down the paint/Dettol goo before water gets near it.

5. If necessary, repeat 3 & 4 until no more paint is coming off and the model is covered in dish soap foam rather than goo(check all the nooks & crannies thoroughly, as little sticky bits can stay on the model in recesses and that will cause issues when you re-prime later).

6. Rinse the model thoroughly under a tap if possible, or in a tub of straight-up water.

7. If it's bare plastic(or undercoat - that can be stubborn sometimes and some folk are happy to leave that so long as it's not obscuring any detail), you're done, let it dry off and re-prime. If there's still some paint on there you don't want, or you can't quite get rid of the last wee bits of goo, repeat the process again from the beginning.

If you do accidentally get water on the paint goo and it congeals, just whack the model back in the Dettol again, it'll break it back down though you might have to soak a bit longer.

Also as Achinadav says, the model will stink of Dettol when you're done, that's normal. Once it's been re-primed that usually goes away right off, but it will fade over a couple of days even if that doesn't take it off immediately.