As suggested by Captain Semper, I'm starting this paint log to help keep myself motivated and share my progress in building and painting the only Titan Legion that matters: Legio Ignatum, The Fire Wasps!
I always found Mars the most appealing Forge World, it's the only tier one Forge World after all! Whereas Earth is a mystical place in 40k, Mars, arguably the second most important planet in the Imperium, is something that's much more tangible. You can have an army from there, there's a special character from there and a unique Knight house (they don't get brainwashed). So after painting my Ad Mech up in Mars colours and adding some House Taranis Armigers, I knew when AT landed I wanted to do a Mars based Legio.
I never had the original AT game but I lusted after it (and Epic Space Marine) in the pages of WD. I also don't really follow HH anymore (I gave up with the novels when they changed the format), so I didn't really know anything about Legios. But I had read the novel The Emperor's Legion and remembered the bit about some Titan's watching over the Golden Throne. So after a quick Google, I realised that Ignatum was that Legion and they had the cool yellow and black stripes I remember from old WD's AND they were one of the original Legio's from Mars. Perfect.
So when I was lucky enough to snag a GME box, I started to plan my paint scheme when I found this:
So I've based my scheme around those. I have very unsteady hands, so I always plan my painting to use subassemblies as I find those easier to paint and I can also use multiple coloured spray paints to get started. I then try and use simple techniques such as dry-brushing and washes. Freehanding and edge highlighting are no-no's for me as I just can't keep the lines straight even with bracing.
For the stripes, I knew I'd have to try something new (to me). So I bought some 6mm tamiya masking tape and did the stripes via black and yellow sprays (I don't have an airbrush). So, on to the photos!
My Taranis Knight Banner. I'm going to do them in 40k colours even though I'm told they should be blue instead of red! You can see my obsession with subassemblies! Believe me, I find this much easier than trying to get a wobbly brush into small gaps!
The main subassemblies of the Warlord. These were sprayed Leadbelcher then washed with Nuln Oil and dry brushed Necron Compound. The legs have had some detail added to the feet. You'll notice the masked areas of blu-tac and masking tape. This is because I prefer using plastic glue when I put them together at the end, so I need to keep bare plastic in the contact places (I'm a fussy old git).
Painting progress. You can see the striped panels after I've painted the silver metal work and black lined with a small brush and null oil. It's slow going (as all my painting is) but I'm very happy with how it's looking.
So that's the beginning on my Legio Ignatum log. I'll hopefully keep this updated regularly. The next goal is to finish the legs with their panels and the base. So hopefully an update on that soon.
Thanks for reading!
Edited by Burni, 16 September 2018 - 10:38 AM.