Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sharing some news!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

General Strike

General Strike

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,687 posts

POPULAR

So, I'm fairly certain this is the right sub forum for this, but last night my girlfriend and I went to see one of our favorite bands, and I proposed during my favorite song. So, I just wanted to share with my B&C buddies, I'M ENGAGED! 

Now, just have to learn how to hide the expenses of my hobby....

• Kurgan the Lurker, Doghouse, Spaced Hulk and 50 others like this

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,943 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens
Awww, congrats! :D

As for expenses, I'd suggest budgeting together. Perhaps she'll be a player two? ;)
  • General Strike and Black_Knight like this
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,887 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Congratulations!
  • General Strike likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,657 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
Another one bites the dust .
=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,842 posts
You’re going to need a feel no pain rule for sure now!

Congratulations!

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

++ INTERFECTOR PRODITORES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,616 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands, Alpha Legion
Congrats, brother!

Another one bites the dust .

Awww, come on man. Don't poop on a Frater like that.
Posted Image

+Corruption of Purpose: Heretic Astartes+
+The Blade Unsheathed: Asuryani+

+AO+ Currently seeking a PhotoShopper to make me a Chaos banner for this signature. +OA+

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,912 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
Congratulations!!!

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

General Strike

General Strike

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,687 posts
Thank you so much, everyone! I'm just so ecstatic about it!

N1SB

N1SB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,359 posts

Outstanding, congratulations.  I am curious, who was the band, which was the song please?

I share this in the spirit of being helpful.  You might already have this system, but my friend is married and has the same issue.  We hide minis in plain sight with her.

A few of us close 30k/40k friends play at his place.  So we leave stuff there, intentionally or accidentally, like we are contributing terrain or forget to pack up a mini.

When he really wants to buy and split something that he can't tell his wife about, such as a big ticket item like Adeptus Titanicus, we split it 50/50, pay for it normally.  But then he heads home first empty-handed.  Then I bring the stuff over to his place and pretend I made an impulse purchase.  I take my half of the stuff, and ask if I may leave his half at his place so I don't have to transport them back and forth...but it's really his stuff, it's just an elaborate hoax that fits into our normal modus operandi.  Basically, I'm laundering miniatures for him, keeping it "off the books" in front of his wife.

The trick is not to be too loud about this in front of the wife, like trying to catch her attention to do this.  We just get naturally excited because new toys; a wife can sense her husband getting excited about anything that's not her like a 6th sense.  She'll come over and inquire, and at that point we barely have to act, we're talking about the game (I was legitimately so engrossed by the leather-bound Titanicus rulebook at that point it was no longer an act); when she feels like she has to ask, and we're not just performing a lie in front of her, it makes it believable.  Then we talk about the terrain and, as my friend is also a really good airbrush painter, he just asks if I want him to speed paint the terrain and leave it at his place, as per normal.  I say "yes, that'd be really cool of you," and he takes the terrain AND his half of the Titan miniatures among them into his man cave in 1 carry.  If anything happens, I take responsibility like I got my friend into this game (even though it was his idea), thus drawing wife aggro away from him.

TL;DR - I don't know what you call a Wingman after you're engaged, but it turns out they're still really useful even after the fact.

• Bryan Blaire, Gederas, Fulkes and 4 others like this

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,299 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands Legion

Congrats man!

@N1SB - That's genuinely brilliant, what a system.

• N1SB likes this

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,983 posts

Congrats!

@N1SB: Would that be considered gaslighting? In any case, it's a genius method. :lol:

• N1SB likes this

Lord Lee

Lord Lee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 288 posts
  • Faction: Heralds of Absolution
For your sacrifice we salute you.

Lord Lee.

GrandMagnus

GrandMagnus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,341 posts
  • Faction:

Congratulations man! 

• N1SB likes this

gallery_30308_9518_6104.pngETL_2016_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpgETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_Medal_03.gif

If you want to see my minis, look me up on instagram under the name Manta_Man_Miniatures. Fantasy, 40k and historical minis :)

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

++ INTERFECTOR PRODITORES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,616 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands, Alpha Legion
As a happily married man whose wife is not at all into gaming: don't lie or pull cheap tricks, don't hide purchases, especially on big ticket items. If she finds out, there will be hurt feelings.
  • Black Blow Fly, FlamingDeth, Brother Lunkhead and 4 others like this
Posted Image

+Corruption of Purpose: Heretic Astartes+
+The Blade Unsheathed: Asuryani+

+AO+ Currently seeking a PhotoShopper to make me a Chaos banner for this signature. +OA+

MrZakalwe

MrZakalwe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 348 posts
  • Faction: 609th Octavian regiment

Congrats, dude!

'Sire the Astartes appear to be wearing imperial iconography.'

'Pay that no heed, lieutenant, it is doubtless some contrivance of the Great Adversary. Voxman please relay this to all unit leaders - a case of vintage carvine and my favourite hat to whoever brings down that damned hovertank.'

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,184 posts

So, I'm fairly certain this is the right sub forum for this, but last night my girlfriend and I went to see one of our favorite bands, and I proposed during my favorite song. So, I just wanted to share with my B&C buddies, I'M ENGAGED! 

congrats!

I am now imagining your avatar is a heavy metal kitty

banana

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,649 posts
Congratulations!

I have to say though, I don't think hiding the expense is the way to go. Just budget for the hobby. Lying about it is a risk to your relationship and ultimately the hobby isn't worth endangering that. My wife and I just included 40k in our monthly budget and limited her non-essentials to the same amount. Reigned in our spending and kept us both happy.
  • Iron Father Ferrum and Sir_Gaea like this

General Strike

General Strike

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,687 posts
Yeah, I was mostly kidding. I've been upfront with her about the cost of the hobby during our dating, and plan to once we are married. And I have no problem reducing my spending on toys for important stuff, like home, vacation, bills, and the wedding I will most likely pay for. Hopefully I can get a space marine to officiate.
  • Brother Casman, Brother Lunkhead, Iron Father Ferrum and 2 others like this

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 404 posts
  • Faction: Orks, IF, Custodes, T'au

Congratulations! My advice: Small wedding, big honeymoon ;-)

• Ishagu, Nemesor Tyriks and Aramis K like this

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,887 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
There goes the hobby budget!

-~Ishagu~-

Greenz

Greenz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 823 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Absolution
Congratulations!!! I’ve been married 6 years myself, and I can honesty say it was one of the best decisions of my life.

But be warned: if you two are planning on having little ones in the future, there goes 90% of your hobbying time for at least the first 3-4 years!
  • Bryan Blaire likes this

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,049 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

But be warned: if you two are planning on having little ones in the future, there goes 90% of your hobbying time for at least the first 3-4 years!

Spoken truth.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

TheOneTrueZon

TheOneTrueZon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 971 posts
  • Faction: Silent Sword Crusade

Spoken truth.

I've actually gotten a lot done since in the four years since my son was born. You just need to learn about time management and planning. No more of the, "just sit at the bench and stare at a pile of stuff until something comes to mind... oh look a butterfly! WHEEEEEEEE". 

AND 

Congrats!

Edited by TheOneTrueZon, 17 October 2018 - 05:28 PM.

"My blood is the same colour as yours. And what I do, I do to protect Earth, same as you. You don't like how I do it, that's your prerogative. But there are things going on out there that you know nothing about. Threats to the human race that no one never hears about, because we stopped them. There are dangers all around us. And whether you like us or not, we may be all that stands between you and the abyss."
- Bester, Babylon 5

http://www.bolterand...-sword-crusade/

http://www.bolterand...primal-marines/

ewmbyoa46aj9.gif

Black_Knight

Black_Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,883 posts
  • Faction: AdMech, DW, IK, Blood Ravens

Awww, congrats! biggrin.png

As for expenses, I'd suggest budgeting together. Perhaps she'll be a player two? msn-wink.gif

Congrats I wish you a long and loving future, not many getting married nowadays.

Best thing to do is discuss, if you can't do this now then you've got a Big problem to sort out. A lot of people tell you to hide it but Marriage works when you don't have to worry about forgetting the lies :D

Talking and budgeting together allows you to give and take, let her have some stuff extra then save those points for all the Titanicus!!!

Been Married over 8 years now and when you find the one that you can just live with and raise a family its better than anything. NOW when the kids come then you can start to bunker down in a hole with your models to stop them breaking them. Both my Girls Be-line for my new models when they see them and are a little too interested in them for 2 and 4 years of age. Maybe I shouldn't of read them the Horus Heresy when they were babies...

• Iron Father Ferrum and General Strike like this

gallery_48988_15465_45080.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.pngETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gif

General Strike

General Strike

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,687 posts
Yeah, I have a honesty policy anyway, and her hobby(mugs and vintage clothes) are as costly as mine(star wars toys and 40k) but we can work it out. I've been pushing the small wedding big honeymoon thing to her, she has the majority of our guests, but I make the money in the relationship so I'm paying hahaha.
  • Gederas likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users