• 2 weeks later...

I've finished my second pair of lancers, just working on the Acastus now.

On these ones I added my Legio colours to a shoulder to tie them in a bit better. It's a bit basic, I could have tried to make it look a bit more heraldic; we'll see if I like it or if it bothers me enough to change them when I go back and do it on my first two.
uJkIF27l.jpg
QAo8LMxl.jpg
Bumam4Ul.jpg

Your titans continue to look fantastic. It’s a scheme that looks good at a distance and close up.

A suggestion of how you might go further (which you should feel very free to ignore) is to add some kind of individual heraldry or markings. This is something I want to improve on with my own titans. I’m looking for that sense that these are individual storied heroes - not Reaver #3 or whatever.

I hope that doesn’t come across as a criticism. It’s just my though on the next place you could go.

Your titans continue to look fantastic. It’s a scheme that looks good at a distance and close up.

A suggestion of how you might go further (which you should feel very free to ignore) is to add some kind of individual heraldry or markings. This is something I want to improve on with my own titans. I’m looking for that sense that these are individual storied heroes - not Reaver #3 or whatever.

I hope that doesn’t come across as a criticism. It’s just my though on the next place you could go.

No worries at all! My titans are relatively utilitarian at the moment; that's partly because I need to find/design appropriate transfers for them (which I'm dragging my feet about) and partly because I just wanted them finished quickly. But I completely agree that they could use a little something more. The knights I've got no excuse for however, and will probably jazz them up soon while I paint up my next batch of extra weapons.

I'm thinking about getting the GW Mortis sheet as that at least gets me some red versions of the standard titan class markings etc, as well as the Malinax stuff for my knights, but my search for a legio symbol continues. My first instinct was to take the Xana sigil and replace the bear skull in the cog with a bird one in the same red/white style but that is stalled until my image manipulation skills are higher than 0. Thanks for the feedback, definitely more constructive than criticism!

cPvtEeRs.jpg?1PpXSt1it.png?1

Good to see a fellow Gore Crow! I am also at a stand still in the decal department. I have purposely left spots for decals on all my titans. I am patiently waiting for GW to release something or I get the cash so I can work with Fallout Hobbies to help me make something up.

Check out my hobby thread, link in my signature, for my take on the Gore Crows.

Edited by NiftyVT

Painting red over the white standard decals shouldn't be too hard, though, if it's just a matter of colour.

Getting the Mortis sheet would be mainly for the Malinax transfers, just trying to convince myself it's worth it. :wink:   

Good to see a fellow Gore Crow! I am also at a stand still in the decal department. I have purposely left spots for decals on all my titans. I am patiently waiting for GW to release something or I get the cash so I can work with Fallout Hobbies to help me make something up.

Check out my hobby thread, link in my signature, for my take on the Gore Crows.

Yeah good stuff! Great minds think alike on all the marbling. Also love the look of all your Bad Mech!

Official Vulturum could show up if they did a Ruin of Maerdan expansion with Metallica, Destructor and Argentum, but there are bigger legios to do first I guess.

Thinking about the crusade legio rules, I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some advice on picking traits. I've been playing my Gore Crows using the Vulpa rules because hitting is fun, and from there have been looking at mobility traits to make it a bit easier:

Trait: Splinter Legio: Astorum War March - This seems pretty handy to get moving fast, though risky with the reactor dice debuff. As I'm already taking a high risk-high reward approach I'm ok with leaning into this. Also makes me traitor.

Wargear: Warchest: Disruption Emitters - Gives me my edge in melee

War Doctrine: March of the dead - This looks interesting and would be a great headstart for getting down the board. Expensive though. Not too bothered about losing initiative at the start I guess. Doesn't look like it meshes well with Astorum War March though, maybe just one or the other?

Last pick I'm not too sure about, Elite Magos is popular and would help alleviate the Astorum war trait, as would Wargear: Reactor Fetters.

I guess I am lucky on the decal front for the Xana side of things. I bought 4-5 Malinax sheets the instant they were released.

I had a similar think a while back:

Separate post from the Custom Legio thread, as I felt this needed its own given how little faith people have in melee titans. The fools!

So, the current plan for getting those Warlords into melee (next level tactical genius, yo) is:

- Splinter Legio (Astorum) to get extra speed, turn traitor.
- Motive Mastery to ensure most of your line, not just Seniores, will consistently push forwards and Charge everything.
- Warchest to buy Vulpa's +2 Str disruption fields.
- War Doctrine to maybe buy Mortis' March of the Dead for more speed or Fortidus' Red Skies for proper nuclear blasts when you die. Really this can be almost anything to finetune your list to suit the battle or fluff you like.
- As other stratagems, now that we are traitors War Lust and the Charge bonus ones are pretty nasty.

So even before we consider Maniple bonuses, our first turn movements can be easily over half the field. Say we deploy 6" from our table edge.
- Warlord moves 4" (MoD) + pushing for 6" (plus 2" from Astorum and another 2" from War Lust) + pushing Full Stride for another 10". This is a Warlord. It is now 30" from your table edge, very much ready to make 8" Charges next turn.
- Reaver takes the same thing with 6"+13"+13" and is now 10" from the ENEMY table edge.
- Warhound can burn itself for 8"+16"+16" and be 2" away from the ENEMY table edge. If the deployment allows 8", you can score Vital Cargo on your first turn.

This paintrain WILL crash against the opposition on turn 2 and some Charges will go off. Supplemented with some Cerastus to herd enemy fallbacks so you can still Charge or hit again in Combat phase there is some nice potential to bring RIP AND TEAR back to the fore. Also, as the obligatory anti-Acastus mention, we are now close enough they might scatter blasts on their own lines if they want to chuck those 20+ Blasts around. Profit!

Currently, I'd go for Splinter (Astorum), Warchest (Disruptors), Stratagem (War Lust) and have the last as a toss between Motive Mastery for reliability and Splinter (Fortidus) for maniple manipulation (the puns, they are getting out of HAND! Can't handle it!) because when the Warlords connect, we really need them to connect. With Fortidus' swap, you can have a Ferrox maniple with a Claw-Lord that gets to use its BS for hitting things, thus hitting on 1+ with basic Str 15 because of Disruptors and the maniple bonus. Tasty auto-crits on anything it hits.

Let the pain train commence, brother. 

Hard to say, really, but one would think so since "any combination of blah blah can be chosen. However, no more than two selections from each category..." and since Astorum and Fortidus are both loyalists, the Splinter Legio would always make you a traitor so that checks out too. In War Doctrine, it says "note that War Doctrine may be chosen more than once, provided each instance applies to a different stratagem" which to me seems applicable to Splinter as well, as they are basically "pick a thing freely" -choices. Just don't pick same things again and keep it classy. If the opposing player would insist that this only means that War Doctrine alone can be taken twice, fiiiiine, I'd play it that way, but custom bits are there for cool factor and if you're seriously arguing that making picks that allow for awesome-r MELEE WARLORDS is worse for the game's health than just taking Elite Magii and all the buffs... that's just silly, yo.

• 5 weeks later...

Little knight update:

Finished up my chonky acastus; I love these models but the trim was a pain!

TIyutwcl.jpg?46rKwqLpl.jpg?2

I also jazzed up my cerastus knights while I was at it, adding red markings and my Legio colours to bring them all together a bit better.

TYXKqkgl.jpg?2vL0n83sl.jpg?2

Lastly I've started my 4th Reaver for Vulturum, Descensus Averno.

p1JwPBcl.jpg?1

Alongside working on Descensus I'll be trying my hand at working with weathering powders and enamels to get a nice dusty look for the whole Legio's feet and legs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is Descensus Averno that I finished this morning.

EEBg4rgl.jpg

And here is my group shot of all my Vulturum and their Malinax allies. I reckon I will still tinker with their bases in future, but until there are more titans to add I think I'm done.

2CLWMWqh.jpg

Something about that Reaver looks very Terminator-y to me. I love it.

• 2 months later...

Hi project log!

Here's my TotH WIP engine, Graviora Manent. The Warbringer has really grown on me after seeing it in 6mm, and building it was really nice.

In this kit GW have labelled stuff like the feet and leg armour L&R which is cute, and shows they are hearing feedback from people's reaver experiences at least. :laugh.:

NfZChDPm.jpg PvZY5BNm.jpg

Also very excited to see Legio Vulturum getting a shoutout in the House Malinax entry in Shadow and Iron. #teamevil