Duz's Custard Creams

duz_

Question for the peanut gallery:

Debating pinning vs magnetising the telemon to his 100mm base.

Logic being a 100mm base is a huge foot print to transport seeing as the model.is fully magnetised and doesnt fill the whole void.

Thoughts?

I'd agree with Anticontrarian, removable pins with some extra magnets to help hold him down. You could add a set of pins for the magnet holes, press them into the base to mark it, then remove that set of pins and drill those holes for magnets. Then you'll know they're lined up and you're not guessing where to drill.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with a magnet and a pin

Seems to hold well enough as long as you dont go shaking it around too hard

Well see if a second magnet is in order once I actually get it into a game...

Meanwhile not many updates this week spent most of last weekend doing actual chores then was traveling for work

I did finish magnetising my Venatari though! That was a pain! <_<

I dont plan on doing it on future squads. I also had to requisition some shoulder pads from the Vertus Praetors because you only get enough to do one set of arms per model and I wasn't gonna try and magentise them too. Although you probably could ...

gallery_87434_14331_381609.jpg

I might try and focus on painting some other minis this week but the custodes are nearing the top of my list as I plan on using them for an event in May

I had the same shoulder pad complaint with the Plastic Catphractii kit. Only enough pads for one set of arms per model but they give your weapon options for two, plus a third with the heavy flamer. I ended up casting my own using blue stuff to make a mold and milliput putty as the medium.

More distractions over the weekend

With the release of the new rules I was super amped to paint this guy!

gallery_87434_14331_335254.jpg

I've had the assassins since Execution Force dropped, but only painted the Callidus so far

I sold the Vindicare and had already painted the original one, although I just purchased a second this weekend :)

At some point I'll probably paint the Culexus too just for Completions sake

I will be getting on to painting the dreads soon I think... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a question for you duz if you don't mind, when magnetizing the Telemon what sizes of magnets did you need? I've looked around online but haven't found anywhere that listed the size and number of pre-drilled holes for any of the dreadnoughts.  I've got an Achillus and Galatus just recently and ordered 4mmx1mm magnets for the arms, but was wondering if the Telemon took the same size or larger? If I do order a Telemon I'd like to have the magnets ready to go this time.  

Nice work magnetizing the Venatari! That's a fair bit of work involved, and I actually wondered how possible it would be.  The lack of shoulder pads is a real bummer though, I don't think I have any extras I could sacrifice for that if or when I do end up with Venatari.

I used 6mm x 2mm disc magnets for the Telemon, I had originally bought them for my IK's but fit nicely in the Telemon

Given his size I'd probably go for 5 - 6mm ones, I think 4x1 might struggle to keep the weapons on unless you fairly gentle with moving it around the table

Its a solid bond with the 6x2mm

The Venatari weren't super bad, but again I won't be doing a second squad. Mainly because of the shoulder pad issues and having to buy extras.

Looking forward to seeing pic's of the dreads when they're painted! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a bit quiet of late however after attending my last friendly tournament I felt the urge to finish and play my Custodes.

Locally we have a series of tournaments with the top 4 going onto a knock out event later on

I'm tempted to bring my custard creams. This is the list I am considering, the missions will be ITC. I know its not super competitive but I don't think there's any glaring holes?

+ HQ +

Captain-General Trajann Valoris

2x Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike: Salvo Launcher

+ Troops +

3x Custodian Guard Squad

Custodian: Guardian Spear

Custodian: Guardian Spear

Custodian: Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield

+ Elites +

Allarus Custodians

Allarus Custodian: Castellan Axe, Misericordia

+ Fast Attack +

Venatari Custodians (Beta)

Venatari Custodian

Kinetic Destroyer and Tarsus Buckler: Kinetic Destroyer, Tarsus Buckler

Venatari Custodian: Venatari Lance

Venatari Custodian: Venatari Lance

Vertus Praetors

Vertus Praetor: Salvo Launcher

+ Heavy Support +

Telemon Heavy Dreadnought (Beta): Arachnus Storm Cannon, Spiculus Bolt Launcher

Telemon Caestus: Twin Plasma Projector

All my bikes have the salvo launchers because awkward points I could switch back to hurricane bolters and some mix and match Misericordias

That list is somewhat similar to mine. I don't understand Vinatari though. I just can't seem to buy in on them. Have you been having a good experience with them?

I am fielding 2 Telemon(s) now... it's not that much better than one to be honest. I would drop one for Allarus as you are playing as I really, really miss my Allarus.

Venatari are purely rule of cool B) :lol:

Is not having more hurricane bolters a mistake? I might tweak that to give the bikes them back and see what I can do with the random points left

I also forgot I have an unassembled Calladius too...

Venatari are purely rule of cool B) :lol:

Is not having more hurricane bolters a mistake? I might tweak that to give the bikes them back and see what I can do with the random points left

I also forgot I have an unassembled Calladius too...

I think the Venatari are okay looking, but if they float your boat, by all means. I really like the Termies...all of them so after I finish my new Allarus I may buy the Forgeworld variants. I’m such a fool.

Anyway I got a Caladias in the mail today. This could be a problem! You do yours first!

The termies are awesome I may have 2 more boxes of them sitting in the basement to be built :lol: :sweat:

Away again this weekend so limited hobby time but did bring my caladius to start preping

Which brought me to this list

Very similar to the above but swap the Venatari for the caladius and rejig some of the salvo launchers

+ HQ +

Captain-General Trajann Valoris

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike: Salvo Launcher

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike: Hurricane Bolter

+ Troops +

3x Custodian Guard Squad

2x Custodian: Guardian Spear

Custodian: Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield

+ Elites +

Allarus Custodians

3x Allarus Custodian: Castellan Axe, Misericordia

+ Fast Attack +

Vertus Praetors

3x Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Caladius Grav-tank (Beta): Twin Illiastus Accelerator Cannon, Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon

Telemon Heavy Dreadnought (Beta): Arachnus Storm Cannon, Spiculus Bolt Launcher

Telemon Caestus: Twin Plasma Projector

Ps. Prot I recommend painting the tank in pieces having assembled 2 and painted then it was a pain having to take so many places of using and airbush including the engine parts of you want them different colours. I don't think I will assemble anything first this time

Minor update I have the caladius prepped ready for priming

I haven't assembled most of it as from experience this should make life a lot easier airbrushing it

Annoyingly a small piece of one of the pontoons snapped but it's so small I don't think it's worth trying to GS. Hopefully it's not too noticeable :ermm:

Might even get done airbrushing done this weekend

Minor update I have the caladius prepped ready for priming

I haven't assembled most of it as from experience this should make life a lot easier airbrushing it

Annoyingly a small piece of one of the pontoons snapped but it's so small I don't think it's worth trying to GS. Hopefully it's not too noticeable :ermm:

Might even get done airbrushing done this weekend

As you may or may not know I hate assembly.

I just put together my Caladius and I found the rear engine mount which is supposed to be flush with the main body was... not even close. It's a pretty sizeable gap I've back filled with Greenstuff. Did this happen to you as well?