Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Duz's Custard Creams

Custodes 40k WIP painting plog

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,256 posts
Had some productive work meetings yesterday

gallery_87434_14331_36689.jpg

:D

Seems a bit darker than my test model. Not sure if I mixed up some Aggaros Dunes in what I thought was my Skeleton horde. :ermm:

Anyhow I'm not going to redo them I shall push forward! Another 2 hour meeting this afternoon I can drop some red on them then gold :D
  • Arkaniss, WarriorFish, our_baz and 2 others like this

Shield-Captain

Shield-Captain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Custodes

They look great! Can't wait to see them all painted and based. 

• duz_ likes this

23.jpg

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,256 posts

They look great! Can't wait to see them all painted and based.

Me too! :lol:

Short training session today only got the red down on 3 models today
Should be a longer session tomorrow

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,256 posts
Meetings continued this week so got a bit more done
Next week I won't have the same opportunity so hopefully I'll be motivated to continue after hours

gallery_87434_14331_107554.jpg
  • Prot, Arkaniss, WarriorFish and 3 others like this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,256 posts
Well this was the first weekend I hobbied in a while
Got the reds finished and then hit them with a 1:1 nulin and gloss wash. Will see once I highlight the hair? if I like that idea or not :ermm:

Also got the black on the spears done. Next is golds which I also had to remember the recipe :facepalm:

gallery_87434_14331_142401.jpg
  • champion_wasabi, Arkaniss and our_baz like this

Arkaniss

Arkaniss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,640 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Sacred Rose

I like how meetings seem to be a universal time waster (work productivity speaking!) but at least you got some hobby out of it :D The custard creams are looking wonderful, it's a really nice colour and the red is a nice deep, rich one too :tu: You're almost making me want to work on my Custodes again... almost ;)

• duz_ likes this

our_baz

our_baz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,076 posts
  • Faction: 55th Company Salamanders

You've proably answered this eraier in the thread so I apologise for not looking, how have you achieved that real flat and smooth bone colour? As its a colour that I picked for a BA successor, but just sucks the motivation out of me to paint it.

• duz_ likes this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,256 posts
Hi Baz, no probs the armour is pretty easy it's just
Wraithbone primer and a 50/50 medium and skeleton horde mix
My notes say that after about half an hr the mix will start to dry out and dilute so don't mix too much at once.
Contrast paints work well for this colour I think
It's the gold afterwards that's killing me!

our_baz

our_baz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,076 posts

Hi Baz, no probs the armour is pretty easy it's just
Wraithbone primer and a 50/50 medium and skeleton horde mix
My notes say that after about half an hr the mix will start to dry out and dilute so don't mix too much at once.
Contrast paints work well for this colour I think
It's the gold afterwards that's killing me!

Do you find that you have to lay down two coats of contrast paint to get a smooth finish? So far I've only found 2 contrast paints that look good (e.g solid) after 1 coat. I'm quite enjoying painting gold, although you could say I'm cheating by making excessive use of make-up brushes as dry brushes.

• duz_ likes this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,256 posts
I found it went on fairly smooth
This was just 1 coat otherwise it got too dark
Did u try thinning it with contrast medium?
I also used my large W+N S7 brush that holds a lot of paint but provides a good amount of control when applying

Looking forward to seeing some pictures then ;)

our_baz

our_baz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,076 posts

I found it went on fairly smooth
This was just 1 coat otherwise it got too dark
Did u try thinning it with contrast medium?
I also used my large W+N S7 brush that holds a lot of paint but provides a good amount of control when applying

Looking forward to seeing some pictures then msn-wink.gif

No I haven't tried thinning, The colours I found needed help (i.e 2 coats) Leviadon Blue and Flesh Tearers red.  Otherwise they just looked washed out. The blue I've used on my Custodes cloaks (that's 2 coats). I use either a GW med wash brush, or Army Painter Basecoat depending on the area I'm painting. Maybe I'm not being liberal enough with the paint? Thanks @Duz

Edited by our_baz, 15 December 2020 - 01:25 PM.

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,256 posts
Liberal applications followed by removing excess from pooling in areas seem to be the key
I'm not contrast expert but have been using them more recently between this guys and terrain

I would definitely recommend W+N brushes for them and in general. I'm a recent convert I think I'm on year 2 of my initial 3 brushes which at this point with GW brushes I probably would be on my 2nd or 3rd set. Definitely more control and hold the paint better. Might seem odd to describe a paint brush that way but when you use one you'll see what I mean.
  • our_baz likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Custodes, 40k, WIP, painting, plog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users