Duz's Custard Creams

duz_

Had some productive work meetings yesterday

gallery_87434_14331_36689.jpg

:D

Seems a bit darker than my test model. Not sure if I mixed up some Aggaros Dunes in what I thought was my Skeleton horde. :ermm:

Anyhow I'm not going to redo them I shall push forward! Another 2 hour meeting this afternoon I can drop some red on them then gold :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well this was the first weekend I hobbied in a while

Got the reds finished and then hit them with a 1:1 nulin and gloss wash. Will see once I highlight the hair? if I like that idea or not :ermm:

Also got the black on the spears done. Next is golds which I also had to remember the recipe :facepalm:

gallery_87434_14331_142401.jpg

I like how meetings seem to be a universal time waster (work productivity speaking!) but at least you got some hobby out of it :D The custard creams are looking wonderful, it's a really nice colour and the red is a nice deep, rich one too :tu: You're almost making me want to work on my Custodes again... almost ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi Baz, no probs the armour is pretty easy it's just

Wraithbone primer and a 50/50 medium and skeleton horde mix

My notes say that after about half an hr the mix will start to dry out and dilute so don't mix too much at once.

Contrast paints work well for this colour I think

It's the gold afterwards that's killing me!

Hi Baz, no probs the armour is pretty easy it's just

Wraithbone primer and a 50/50 medium and skeleton horde mix

My notes say that after about half an hr the mix will start to dry out and dilute so don't mix too much at once.

Contrast paints work well for this colour I think

It's the gold afterwards that's killing me!

Do you find that you have to lay down two coats of contrast paint to get a smooth finish? So far I've only found 2 contrast paints that look good (e.g solid) after 1 coat. I'm quite enjoying painting gold, although you could say I'm cheating by making excessive use of make-up brushes as dry brushes.

I found it went on fairly smooth

This was just 1 coat otherwise it got too dark

Did u try thinning it with contrast medium?

I also used my large W+N S7 brush that holds a lot of paint but provides a good amount of control when applying

Looking forward to seeing some pictures then ;)

I found it went on fairly smooth

This was just 1 coat otherwise it got too dark

Did u try thinning it with contrast medium?

I also used my large W+N S7 brush that holds a lot of paint but provides a good amount of control when applying

Looking forward to seeing some pictures then :wink:

No I haven't tried thinning, The colours I found needed help (i.e 2 coats) Leviadon Blue and Flesh Tearers red.  Otherwise they just looked washed out. The blue I've used on my Custodes cloaks (that's 2 coats). I use either a GW med wash brush, or Army Painter Basecoat depending on the area I'm painting. Maybe I'm not being liberal enough with the paint? Thanks @Duz

Edited by our_baz

Liberal applications followed by removing excess from pooling in areas seem to be the key

I'm not contrast expert but have been using them more recently between this guys and terrain

I would definitely recommend W+N brushes for them and in general. I'm a recent convert I think I'm on year 2 of my initial 3 brushes which at this point with GW brushes I probably would be on my 2nd or 3rd set. Definitely more control and hold the paint better. Might seem odd to describe a paint brush that way but when you use one you'll see what I mean.

• 1 year later...

Wow.... Well... Ermm... I knew it had been a while since I had worked on my Custards didn't think it was this long though... :huh:

Actually I do think there's at least the Pallas that's been an unfinished project for at least 6 months I havent included here too :happy:

That's not why I dropped by though! I recently acquired a NIB Galatus for a good price from a local and I've entered it in BCKs hobby challenge. 

This is the first time I've painted in a long while (took me at least 20mins to get everything set up, not to mention rehydrating my wet pallet :whistling:

Hopefully I'll finish it since the challenge ends on the 15th.

Thats it! My 2nd painted Custode finally complete! :biggrin: Thanks to BCK for putting on the Hobby Challenge

Best part is that this scheme is pretty quick and has got me semi motivated to move on more Custard Creams. I put my Telemon in the bath so he can get the same treatment shortly! 

large.20221002_174942.jpg.1615ba54844c1d

Yup definitely a reason I waited to build these guys. Not only did the heat gun have to come out to straighten the spears (to be expected I guess). It was a matter of guess the arm combos for the spear :dry:

large.20221006_203600.jpg.b34ac868b27f66

They do look neat though. 

I also dropped a small fortune on some Unreal War Gaming Scared Ruin bases. And that's even with the GBP being in a terrible spot :sweat:

well you aren't talking to yourself now. Seems there are few of us vocal custodes. :)

They are looking great. Good motivation as I start off with a Venerable Dread and then a Kill Team.

I am not familiar with the melta looking spears. Do you often have to use a heat gun? I guess I can use a hair dryer if I have to. Kinda sucks we have to rely on FW so much.

I find most FW kits where there are long skinny parts a heat gun is required. Which is why I bought one, 40 bux from the local hardware store with various temp and fan settings. 

I guess a hair dryer could be used. The head gun does have a focused jet of hot hair though which is handy. 

It is disappointing there's so much FW that constitutes this army. The kits themselves aren't super complicated. You'd think it be easy to convert them to plastic and the main line. Especially these troop upgrades. The speared are literally just 5 spears. The bolters are 5 bolters and heads. Everything else is the standard plastic kit. 

I need to rescue my Telemon and TJ from the stripping bath I gave them last week... Need to get the Telemon primed before it's too cold. 

53 minutes ago, Sothalor said:

So the spear kit doesn't have pics/instructions for which spear/hand goes with which set of arms? Oof, that sounds like a right pain of guesswork to make them all match.

Unless I missed numbers etched into the spears (which I checked for) there is nothing. Upside is 2 are only single handed so that's easy. The other 3 is a matter of trial and error. The final one being a complete guess since even the plastic instructions don't give you the pairing. 

I think the bolters were a bit easier. But that was awhile ago so can't recall. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Custodes line continues to expand. From my experience they're pretty popular. 

• 2 weeks later...

Made some small progress on my Custards while working on my Macharius. 

After my successful Galatus, I reprimed my Pallas that's been waiting for a while. I also stripped down my Telemon. That took some surprising effort. 

Also my small fortune of resin bases arrived from the UK. Yay for the great conversion rate right now. After I'm done with the Macharius I might look at some Custodes. 

large.20221024_092449.jpg.a350a1d52def90

On 10/2/2022 at 7:58 PM, duz_ said:

Thats it! My 2nd painted Custode finally complete! :biggrin: Thanks to BCK for putting on the Hobby Challenge

Best part is that this scheme is pretty quick and has got me semi motivated to move on more Custard Creams. I put my Telemon in the bath so he can get the same treatment shortly! 

large.20221002_174942.jpg.1615ba54844c1d

Where did you get that base?