Dawn of Shadows ETL Prep Event 2019 (2/14 thru 4/15)

Dracos

Dawn of Shadows: 2019 

Starting: 2/15

Endind: 4/15

Welcome Sons of Corax to the Dawn of Shadows. A pre-ETL event focused on model building to prepare us to defend the title against those who dare to challenge the Emperor's finest. The goal here is to have fun and share ideas as we clean out tables, pop our glue bottles, and gird our loins for the road to ETL. I want to thank everyone who has helped me prep for putting this event together. Especially Grotsmasha, for putting Dawn of Shadows banner and badge together. 

Everyone who completes one vow, regardless of Faction will be given a Badge of the Dawn. Let those who come against us know you have readied yourself as a true Astartes. Which is to say we do what can be done, but not go beyond what should be done :smile.:

Don’t get too much of a head start 
The point (that is actually part of the official ETL rules) is that it is expected that you start work on your entries for ETL after you submit your vows and not before. Models can be assembled and primed but that’s it. Generally speaking nothing should be go beyond the point of being worked above the primer level. 

While it is our goal to prepare for ETL, it is has been mentioned that many of us already have projects underway and need to clear them before focusing on our beloved Raven Guard. To that end ... I would like to invite anyone willing to promise to vow to the Raven Guard during ETL ... to participate in this event regardless of the Faction.

Borrowing from Captain Semper's "Paint to the best of your ability" rule, all we ask is you "Prepare a project to the best of your ability" meaning taken as far as you can go without breaking ETL rules. Primer what you can (remember only one color allowed), assemble as far as you your process allows you.

Fresh projects taken to pre-ETL standard counts as a single completed vow.

Projects that are already underway and need to be finished count as a vow (with the promise to vow for Raven Guard come (ETL).

Bonus Incentive: Friendly doesn't preclude competitive though :wink: I have four assembled Terminators (two with Assault Cannons, two with Heavy Flamers) that I will reward to the Brother who preps the most points of "Raven Guard" models/units that are to be vowed to the ETL. To clarify, only models prepped specifically as vows for Raven Guard during ETL count for the bonus incentive. 

If I've missed something (and I'm sure I have) please feel free to bring up any thoughts or question. Again this is intended to be a friendly inclusive event for everyone a fan of the Ravenspire.

Edited by Inquisitor Dracos

Me first!

I, Race Bannon, vow to prepare a Stormhawk Interceptor and a Vindicator Laser Destroyer tank.  These engines of war will serve my endeavors in the ETL 2019 and bring glory to the Raven Guard Chapter.

Hidden Content
SNJibDn.jpg

Victorus Aut Mortis!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Race Bannon
CODES

With my last large-model project wrapped up, my table is ready.

Just a rules question - do we vow models that we might paint before ETL starts? Depending on the ETL start, I'd finish some of the smaller models to get a bit of distraction from building. I'd save up the big brick for ETL anyway, this is rather about the spare infantry squad or two.

Nice Mithril.  Maybe you and Race can compare notes on Flyers :)

MajorNese:  The long and short of Dawn of Shadows .... Vow anything here and now, that gets you ready to swear for the Raven Guard for ETL. One could swear a Vindicator, 20 Cultist you've started, or a full squad or Mor Deythan. The idea is you finish the Vindicator and/or Cultist .... or just prep the Mor Deythan up to pre-ETL standard.

Grots made  a cool badge for anyone finishing any DoS Vow. I'll be hosting that at the end of the project.

The extra incentive will be awarded to the Brother who has prepared the most points through DoS for ETL. So that could be a total of up to 5 projects prepared for ETL vows .... that are to be sworn the Raven Guard sub-forum.

In the example above the Vindicator and/or Cultist earn you the DoS badge. While the Mor Deythan (some call them Eliminators in the 41st millenium ;)) make you eligible for the DoD badge and the extra incentive award.

Lastly: MN, man I love your technique. It looked good on the Marines, looks great on the Knights.

I hope that helps clarify any confusion and more than happy to explain any details that are yet clear. My first time trying this any and all input or questions are very appreciated.

Dracos

This is cool. I might be able to vow the jump captain I've been working on. He needs some greenstuff and a little more conversion work but that might be doable for me.

I have a lot of marines already primed and ready for paint so I can't use those, although I will try to get those in for the ETL. I've also got a unit of hellblasters that are off sprue and cleaned up but need priming so those might work for this as well.

Can I do half of two units to equlal a whole unit? I'm trying to fill out an Intercessor and Reiver combat squad each. I've got a few models from each squad done for Kill team, but have 5 models between the two that still need completing.

I, MajorNese, vow to prepare a Mastodon, a Rhino, a Vigilator* and 5 primaris reivers, for the glory of the Raptors chapter and the swift reduction of the Pile of Shame.

Rhino and reivers not depicted, I'll pick them up on friday.

aimg_8937qbkka.jpg

*as long as a Mastodon counts as a base

Completed:

5 Reivers

reiverbauygjrb.jpg

Edited by MajorNese

I kinda needed to get them out in one go - the rhino is the painting testbed for the mastodon, the vigilator will be the decoration, so both must be done. And the reivers are what I paint for distraction inbetween building stuff. So yeah, all of those will have to be done in the two months for my schedule to work.

Good thing GW announced the vanguard, ended the GSC project before it began piling up on my shelf...

I posted the following in Ambit's Primaris Raptors project thread, I thought it might be useful here also. Thank you

You can do multiple vows for preparaion for the ETL event. The vows for DoS can be done anytime during the DoS. They just need to be completed by April 15th. 

Everyone prepares how they assemble and paint their models differently. Down of Shadows is designed to help motivate us get our models ready as possible for ETL without breaking any of ETL rules. This means you can fully assemble, or partially assemble as your process calls for ... and apply one color of primer to the model or unit ... and STOP ;) 

The ETL is the internets largest most funniest (yeah its not a word so what lol) painting event (on B&C at least) so any real painting of the models will take place during that event.

As an example ... I use Army Painter colored primer paint for my Warhawks. I use their Desert Yellow for the main body of the model and Army Green for backpacks, pauldrons, and things like holsters and tabards. For Dawn of Shadows I will be building and primering with Desert Yellow the main bodies .... and STOP. If I were using a black or white primer then I would STOP and apply my Chapter colors during ETL. (Also please don't work on bases during Dawn of Shadows. That is something we need to save for ETL).

Dawn of Shadows is a forum friendly way to encourage us to clean our modelling tables of current projects (regardless of Faction) and prepare the models we plan on swearing to the Raven Guard for ETL 2019.

Thank you

Dracos

I just realized I should probably vow my dreadnoughts for this... it's time to paint something big and I could use the elites. I've got a contemptor that's assembled but needs a little work to prime and a venerable that's cleaned up but needs assembly.

Anyways, regarding bases... since I roll mine out on clay can I get the forms attached and primed but wait on paint?

They would be at this point and I would stop (plus primed):

VBwGFxNh.jpg

I'm fairly certain you'll be good at that stage, but I'm double checking with Captain Semper. I absolutely don't want any project during Dawn of Shadows to over prepare a project so as it is not eligible for ETL. I'll get right back with a definitive answer

Okay so Captain Semper responded today (thank you)

So yes, any work that doesn’t involve painting , such as prepping and primering bases , is all authorizes prep work prior to ETL.

Good question thewarriorhunter I appreciate you asking.

I, Ambit, vow to prepare:

10 Hellblasters
5 Company Veterans with Jumpacks (converted from Reivers)
1 Sanguinary Priest with Jumpack and Lightning Claws (converted from Primaris Chaplain)
1 Captain Slamguinius (Primaris conversion) https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Chapter_Master_Slamguinius
1 Watch Captain with Jump Pack (Primaris conversion)
1 Librarian Dreanought (converted from a Redemptor)
15 Guardsman with Sniper Rifles (converting from a SM Scout)
24 Guardsman with Lasgun (converting from a SM Scout)
3 Guardsman Seargent with Boltgun + Chainsword (converting from a SM Scout)
1 Platoon Comander with Shotgun + Chainsword (converting from a SM)
2 Company Commander with Boltgun + Chainsword (converting from a SM)

A lot of it is on order and should arrive over the next week or so. Below is what I've got in the draw.

2019-02-13%2008.51.10.jpg?raw=1[

Will I be able to get it all painted in the ETL... good question.

Edited by ambit

:eek:  holy smokes

Ambit, I see Guardsmen and Marine models in the same vows?  I'm curious how you plan on Vowing for the Raven Guard in the ETL

Just trying to make sure you're on same page as Captain Semper in how you Vow for the ETL event.

:cool.:

:eek:  holy smokes

Ambit, I see Guardsmen and Marine models in the same vows?  I'm curious how you plan on Vowing for the Raven Guard in the ETL

Just trying to make sure you're on same page as Captain Semper in how you Vow for the ETL event.

:cool.:

All the Space Marines are going to be painted Raptors, even the BA Supreme Command. The Guardsmen are from the Raptors Fortress Planet. I put the fluff in my other post on the project. But not sure how it fits in the rules for ETL?

Happy to prioritise models if some aren't valid entries.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353701-primaris-raptors-project/

Look what has returned to the Ravenspire..........

Just in time to dual Fail some Pre ETL and ETL Vows....YES.

Updated Vow (02/14/2019):

I, WAR009, of sound mind and body vow, for the Honor of the Ravenspire (to build and prep, no further than primer),  Assemble the following forces in the Dawn of Shadows for 2019 ETL

Lias Issoden (MKII)

LT (non primaris) (added to vow)

Imperial Space Marine

2x 5 man Sternguard Squads (1 squad added to vow)

2x Primaris Intercessor Squads (added to vow)

2x 5 man Tactical Squads (added to vow)

2x 5 man Scout Squads (added to vow)

Land Speeder Tornado (added to vow)

3 man Inceptor Squad (added to vow)

5 man Hellblaster Squad (added to vow)

Edited by war009

Okay, I'm in on this but I've struggled to decide what I will get done this year. Final decision:

I, Brother Quixote, vow to prepare the following for the ETL:

Jump Captain with Plasma Pistol and Power Sword

Jump Librarian with Force Axe

Vanguard Veterans x5 with various loadouts

Old school Whirlwind

I also pledge to clear my paint station of those damn tacticals I've almost finished.

med_gallery_98774_14827_497667.jpg

There's more work here than it looks.

Captain needs a jump pack, a plasma pistol, helmet swap as well as over painting of the wrong green.

Librarian needs opening, lots of filing and pose adjustment.

Whirlwind needs repairs, flimsy rails adding and gap filling.

Vanguard Vets need some magnetising and lots of mould line removal. Not to mention actually sticking them together.

What have I done???:facepalm:

Vow 1

I, thewarriorhunter, vow to complete a Venerable and Contemptor Dreadnought. These relics of past glories have been entrusted to the Raven Guard successor chapter who call themselves the Spectral Sicarii. These honored machines of retribution and justice will serve as glorious weapons that shall stand against all who oppose them.

Hidden Content

My Contemptor has been worked on and converted but needs a few finishing touches and priming. A new base is also needed since it will be used alongside the Spectral Sicarii instead of the Raven Guard. I will also work on background and lore for it.

tWR3Vy0h.jpg

My Venerable will feature heavily converted legs because I don't want it to look like the guy at the gym who skips leg day. I plan on lengthening them and giving it more of a knight pose so the profile doesn't look like a chicken.

KdZpOIZh.jpg

Edited by thewarriorhunter

I, thewarriorhunter, vow to complete a Venerable and Contemptor Dreadnought. These relics of past glories have been entrusted to the Raven Guard successor chapter who call themselves the Spectral Sicarii. These honored machines of retribution and justice will serve as glorious weapons that shall stand against all who oppose them.

My Venerable will feature heavily converted legs because I don't want it to look like the guy at the gym who skips leg day. I plan on lengthening them and giving it more of a knight pose so the profile doesn't look like a chicken.

[/hidden]

I thought going to the gym only involved Legs and back....only pretty boys train arms and chest :tongue.:

good vows by the way :thumbsup:

cheers, Mithril