Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Abaddon Model Inbound

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
624 replies to this topic

Mendi Warrior

Mendi Warrior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,765 posts

I did a quick pic capture of the new Primaris Lieutenant, seems many people want to have a closer look at him

gallery_116407_15011_8994.jpg

Spoiler

• Honda, killersquid, fire golem and 8 others like this

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,815 posts

and for what it is worth, various angles, crops, cuts and pastes

gallery_116407_15011_37626.jpg

gallery_116407_15011_58955.jpg

gallery_116407_15011_172.jpg

gallery_116407_15011_45061.jpg

gallery_116407_15011_3065.jpg

So with Abaddon, my questions are more fluffy. I remember ADB being unsure about continuing his Black Legion series due to how the studio treats Abaddon. Is he going to continue to be the subject of the Pantheon's attentions without submitting to their ambitions like his gene-father, or will he become a new Horus, full of dark energy but also puppeted by the gods to their own desires? The model looks fab; but I really hope the studio follows what Aaron has been doing in his writing. 

Further, can GW finally make even more explicit that the Black Legion isn't the continuation of the Sons of Horus, but rather something else. I am so very fed up with fan wiki pages, inc Lexicanum and Wikia 40K, putting Sons of Horus and Black Legion as the same organisation on the same. It's amazing how both have not yet managed to seperate X from Y, leaving an odd situation where Horus is claimed to be part of the BL on the wikia by dint of inclusion as primarch of the Sons (even though the BL is a rejection of Horus and every other primarch), or even loyalists like Garviel Loken are included in a Black Legion page. Madness. The two legions are separate. A law firm founded by the partners of an old firm is still very much a new firm; a republic founded from the ashes of a tyranny is a new state.

Edited by Petitioner's City, 08 February 2019 - 10:36 AM.

• Sandlemad, SickSix, Vesper and 3 others like this
Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,340 posts

Just realised, they're gone pretty old school on Drach'nyen. There have been a handful of slight updates/changes in some of the more recent illustrations of the sword - usually to remove, minimise or obscure the frowny face on the hilt - but this is very close to the metal model equivalent. Drach'nyen's still grumpy.

• Juggernut likes this

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,363 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

So with Abaddon, my questions are more fluffy. I remember ADB being unsure about continuing his Black Legion series due to how the studio treats Abaddon. Is he going to continue to be the subject of the Pantheon's attentions without submitting to their ambitions like his gene-father, or will he become a new Horus, full of dark energy but also puppeted by the gods to their own desires? The model looks fab; but I really hope the studio follows what Aaron has been doing in his writing. 

Further, can GW finally make even more explicit that the Black Legion isn't the continuation of the Sons of Horus, but rather something else. I am so very fed up with fan wiki pages, inc Lexicanum and Wikia 40K, putting Sons of Horus and Black Legion as the same organisation on the same. It's amazing how both have not yet managed to seperate X from Y, leaving an odd situation where Horus is claimed to be part of the BL on the wikia by dint of inclusion as primarch of the Sons (even though the BL is a rejection of Horus and every other primarch), or even loyalists like Garviel Loken are included in a Black Legion page. Madness. The two legions are separate. A law firm founded by the partners of an old firm is still very much a new firm; a republic founded from the ashes of a tyranny is a new state.

ADB is apparently going to continue the Black Legion series. He's said as much on Reddit and a few other places. That means, logically, that BL/GW has assuaged his concerns as to the direction of Abaddon's character, which was definitively a concern for a while. I think the fact that we're not seeing some Age of Sigmar style Daemon Prince with 4 heads and 17 topknots says as much. I can't speak for him of course, but that's my understanding. I think we're in safe hands.

As for the latter point, it's not really GW's fault. From the perspective of the Imperium - and therefore your average codex publication - the Black Legion are the Sons of Horus. They are the Black Sixteenth, Horus' sons returned. Those wiki and lexicanum pages are typically made by people that aren't fully aware of all the various publications. I don't mind it being the way it is. Read a codex, and you get the in-universe perspective; read ADB's novels, and you realise that there's far more to it than the Sons of Horus simply repainting themselves in Justaerin colours and continuing their old war. Who cares if a bunch of people on the internet have it wrong? The reality is far more complex and far more interesting.

• Sandlemad, Marshal Rohr, apologist and 10 others like this

bRxSYDV.png

RedFox

RedFox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 816 posts
From Black Legion 2nd novel ADB still make it clear most basic legionaries are made up of Sons of Horus from Maeleum. I am sure a lot of them still held to the SoH traditions while being folded in the Black Legion.

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,647 posts
Thinking back, this has to be in my top 3 GW announcements. The quality of the models is superb. The only times I might have been more excited would've been the announcement about 8th and the Castellan Knight. I want more pictures, I want to see the new rules, and I want to get my hands on those!

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,385 posts

Thinking back, this has to be in my top 3 GW announcements. The quality of the models is superb. The only times I might have been more excited would've been the announcement about 8th and the Castellan Knight. I want more pictures, I want to see the new rules, and I want to get my hands on those!

Model wise i agree but style points I think this one was #1.  That Abby video sealed it.

• Nemesor Tyriks likes this

thewarriorhunter

thewarriorhunter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,233 posts
  • Faction: Renegade-ish Marines and Nids

GW's self awareness with the Abbadon video is what sealed it for me. I'm not a chaos player and don't think I ever will be but the humor and way they delivered that video was perfect.

• Azaiel, Honda, firestorm40k and 7 others like this

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,943 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens
I've moved the posts about Abaddon into this thread. Discuss away!
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

totgeboren

totgeboren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,615 posts
  • Faction: Word Bearers

Love that new Primaris Lieutenant!

*edit*
Abaddon looks pretty neat too!

Edited by totgeboren, 08 February 2019 - 05:49 PM.

• Black Blow Fly likes this

WfHLk2F.jpgETL_2014_Banner_V2_04_Primus_Inter_Paresgallery_29004_6198_3277.png

“What started out as a pleasant afternoon of drugs and surgery has not gone as planned.”

-Zoidberg

My Chaos stuff, Mansions of MadnessDescent 2ed, and home-made ZM board!

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,493 posts

Alright, so now that we have a proper thread just for the big boy, I'll say this: He absolutely donned that cape to hide the hole on his back Celestine made in Cadia. :P

• Prot and Urauloth like this

Lord Janos

Lord Janos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 197 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, Death Guard

Loving how big the Talon of Horus is looking, and well everything else about this. Suspect that Black Legion army I've wanted to do since reading the ADB books may well end up happening much sooner than i'd planned...

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpggallery_62972_10568_11157.jpg

PiñaColada

PiñaColada

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,133 posts

So y'all reckon he's getting new rules when the model drops? He looks significantly bigger so I assume he'll get better but there's also no way I can see him getting more than 9 wounds

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,385 posts

So y'all reckon he's getting new rules when the model drops? He looks significantly bigger so I assume he'll get better but there's also no way I can see him getting more than 9 wounds

Absolutely, I really think he'll be between Calgar and Guilleman if not on par with him straight up.

Master Commander Ajax

Master Commander Ajax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 681 posts
  • Faction: Black Castellans
Looking great so far though I expected no less. A minor gripe is the Primaris Marine on the base, gonna have to remove that if I want to use him in historic/alt 40K but otherwise no complaints.

They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines so that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Humanity. They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear.

Slayer le Boucher

Slayer le Boucher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,595 posts
  • Faction: Knights of the Dark Blade

Hope so, cause honestly his current rules are Meh at best...

Then again for me everything seems Meh rules wise since 8th Dropped, one of the reasons why i've still haven't played a single game of 8th since it was released...( that and the ridiculous Primaris and Primarchs revival Neofluff, the Train wreck that was the 13th Black Crusade book, and the fact that i'm still stuck with 25yro models for Zerkers and that i litteraly see no appeal to play my World eaters in the current rules set...)

• DexC likes this

we_badge_slayer.pnggallery_29004_10514_3133.jpgsml_gallery_29004_10691_2479.pngdnvr16J.jpg

World Eaters Legion & Deamons Horde                                                  
R.I.P Eamon 2005-2012, my loyal and beloved mountain berness dog

"Chapter Tactics: Because there are more differences between Imperial Fists 2nd and 3rd Companies, than there are between Alpha Legion and Word Bearers!"

PiñaColada

PiñaColada

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,133 posts

I hope one of his weapons ignores/worsens invul saves. Too many things (especially with super cheap stormshields) have a 3++ now. I'd feel terrible if my models tanked attacks from the talon of horus :P

Any guesses to how big the base he's standing on is? Someone could probably extrapolate from the primaris LT

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,161 posts

Abaddon is going to be 1.5 heads taller than Primaris MArenus calgar.

or

1.5 heads shorter than guilliman, his model is gonna be daunting.

• Morticon likes this
banana

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,854 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Can this go on my "correct rumor" pile?

In all seriousness I can't wait for the release.

-~Ishagu~-

grailkeeper

grailkeeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 877 posts
  • Faction: Vylka Fenrika

I really hope he still has the Nid head trophy. I remember when the model first came out as a kid and the idea of a non-human trophy blew my mind. It also ties him into some old lore.

Lord Raven 19

Lord Raven 19

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 483 posts
Ah, a fine ally for the sons of Mortarion

Lord Raven19

Lord of Deliverence; Scion of Albion; Baron of Camelot; Champion of Mortarion; Lord under Abaddon; Emissary of Szarekh.

Victorus aut Mortis

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,385 posts

I hope one of his weapons ignores/worsens invul saves. Too many things (especially with super cheap stormshields) have a 3++ now. I'd feel terrible if my models tanked attacks from the talon of horus tongue.png

Any guesses to how big the base he's standing on is? Someone could probably extrapolate from the primaris LT

I mean Drach'nyen rends reality, I could see the sword dealing straight mortals while the talon being a chaff clearing weapon. Would be sweet.

...but im not going to lose sleep if my WG dont get vaporized at a glance. whistling.gif

• Nemesor Tyriks and PiñaColada like this

Slayer le Boucher

Slayer le Boucher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,595 posts
  • Faction: Knights of the Dark Blade

Yeah you'd think that a weapon that as the reputation to Slash the litteral veil between the material univers and the Warp, would be better then just a -3/-4 AP...

we_badge_slayer.pnggallery_29004_10514_3133.jpgsml_gallery_29004_10691_2479.pngdnvr16J.jpg

World Eaters Legion & Deamons Horde                                                  
R.I.P Eamon 2005-2012, my loyal and beloved mountain berness dog

"Chapter Tactics: Because there are more differences between Imperial Fists 2nd and 3rd Companies, than there are between Alpha Legion and Word Bearers!"

Ascanius

Ascanius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,217 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion

From Black Legion 2nd novel ADB still make it clear most basic legionaries are made up of Sons of Horus from Maeleum. I am sure a lot of them still held to the SoH traditions while being folded in the Black Legion.

That's true at that point in time, but in the Dark Imperium era I'd argue the ranks of the Black Legion should be properly represented as having swelled with defectors from other Legions, post-Heresy recruits who've known no other life than the Black and Gold, and renegades from Imperial chapters down the millennia who likewise swore loyalty to Abaddon.

Even in Black Legion, only 3/12 members of the Ezekarion were former Sons of Horus, and that includes Abaddon himself.

Edited by Ascanius, 08 February 2019 - 10:21 PM.

• Honda, Tordeck, Sandlemad and 3 others like this

Danny Cyanide

Danny Cyanide

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 972 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard
He looks absolutely massive if you compare his foot, which is further away, to the primaris Lieutenant!
  • TheForgottenAngel likes this
Imperial Guard - Elysians and Krieg --- Knight House Hartwick --- Watch Company Cygnus
sDn55VZ.png

Lord Castellan of the Mighty Astra Militarum (Until Lord Castellan Ursarkar E. Creed returns from his special mission.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users