Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Abaddon Model Inbound

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
624 replies to this topic

Sonoftherubric21

Sonoftherubric21

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,202 posts

He looks absolutely massive if you compare his foot, which is further away, to the primaris Lieutenant!

This was my thought as well. His BOOT is the size of the Primaris chest. 

Is he on a 60? I saw a composite image on facebook someone threw together and I think its very possible that he is on a 60mm base....If so Id imagine he is getting some form of rules update though that is pure speculation on my part. 

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,363 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

I hope he does get a rules update. Drach'nyen is incredibly underwhelming for a weapon described by ADB as "weaponised oblivion".

bRxSYDV.png

grailkeeper

grailkeeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 877 posts
  • Faction: Vylka Fenrika

Can anyone who was at the open shed any more light? I haven't heard anything that wasn't on the community website which is a bit surprising.

Guzzlrr

Guzzlrr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 162 posts
  • Faction: the Mortal Armies of Chaos.

The Old Man Abbadon Model was one of my first painted models. i remember Abby being the strongest characters in the game. i had an apocalypse battle once where he must have chewed through half of my opponents army before on the last turn he poked him self in the eye and nearly died to scouts XD

hes Still powerful now he can easily kill Calgar and chew through units with ease but isnt THAT scary anymore but I would like to see him get some sort of rule update. Even if its fixing his weapons as they really do need a slight tweek

What would you like to See rules wise with this fine new model?

Edited by Guzzlrr, 10 February 2019 - 10:56 AM.

Iron Within ! Iron Without!

My WIP Check it out.

Sonoftherubric21

Sonoftherubric21

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,202 posts

The Old Man Abbadon Model was one of my first painted models. i remember Abby being the strongest characters in the game. i had an apocalypse battle once where he must have chewed through half of my opponents army before on the last turn he poked him self in the eye and nearly died to scouts XD

hes Still powerful now he can easily kill Calgar and chew through units with ease but isnt THAT scary anymore but I would like to see him get some sort of rule update. Even if its fixing his weapons as they really do need a slight tweek

I think he is still PRETTY close to that powerful. There is literally nothing in the game I wouldn't throw him into and I know him being present on the table also forces reactions from most opponents as he is more then just some "Chapter master" equivalent. 

My Black Legion uses him when my friends (2 of them) play their "all knight" lists. Abbadon has no less then 7 confirmation kills on knights, some of which were upwards of 12 wounds. Took some extra CP and some Prayers to the pantheon but it works, he kicks the kneecap out of a knight pretty consistently and I think personally they are one of the more dangerous models in the game. 

• Guzzlrr and Petitioner's City like this

PiñaColada

PiñaColada

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,133 posts

I just want Drach'nyen to ignore invulnerable saves in CC, or worsen invulns or at the very least be like a xenophase sword making people reroll successful invul saves in CC. Make one of the most famous weapons in all of 40k actually be scary, no matter what it's hitting. Cheap stormshields shoudln't be able to tank it.

As a buffing unit he's probabaly fine, maybe give him a -2 to leadership bubble or something. Make him actually be scary. He's the bad guy and I just want that to really mean something.

• mel_danes, Juggernut, shandwen and 2 others like this

Vanger

Vanger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 714 posts

Next week article is up on WarCon. Only stuff you will be able to order next week is the Ambul expansion for Blackstone Fortress. So Shadowspear and Abaddon on 2nd of March.

I took ballistics in school. Fascinating subject. Things go up! Things go down!

*Laughs in Heretic Astartes*

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,854 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
He shouldn't be more powerful than any of the Primarchs. I think his rules are more or less fine, maybe additional command abilities.
  • Subtleknife likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Jarl Caldersson

Jarl Caldersson

++ OCCISOR CANUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 2,974 posts
  • Faction: Allfathers Einherjar, DG
I don't think Abaddon will be more powerful than any daemon primarchs, however a normal Primarch is a different story... Who knows what the gifts of chaos can do, we know they can give a mortal the strength of a SM, but can a SM be as strong as a Primarch?

Additionally wasn't there a thing where Abaddon might be a clone of Horus and was already a giant compared to other SM?
  • Guzzlrr and Petitioner's City like this
Posted ImagePosted Image
If you want your army paint scheme made in Impcat just send me a message.

Tordeck

Tordeck

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 145 posts
  • Faction: Chaos

I just want Drach'nyen to ignore invulnerable saves

In 4th Edition it did. All Daemon Weapons did in fact. Would be nice to bring that back.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,854 posts

I don't think Abaddon will be more powerful than any daemon primarchs, however a normal Primarch is a different story... Who knows what the gifts of chaos can do, we know they can give a mortal the strength of a SM, but can a SM be as strong as a Primarch?

Additionally wasn't there a thing where Abaddon might be a clone of Horus and was already a giant compared to other SM?

Yeah there's all sorts of heresay. It could be true. That would actually be a nice twist.

-~Ishagu~-

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Well the powers of Chaos can make a normal human as strong as a Space Marine (and stronger) and they made Horus strong enough so that Sanguinius didn't stand a chance ... one of the few Primarchs, together with Angron, he REALLY didn't want to face in a fight due how strong he was. I'd say it's very possible for the powers of chaos to make an exceptional Marine as strong and stronger than a "regular" Primarch. ^^

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,854 posts

Yeah, but in those cases the individuals pledged their souls to the Chaos Gods. I think Abaddon is certainly empowered, but he can't receive their full gifts.

• Subtleknife likes this

-~Ishagu~-

ShibeKing

ShibeKing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 336 posts
I thought the Chaos Gods wanted Abby's full loyalty so they empower him to win him over?

Edited by ShibeKing, 10 February 2019 - 08:47 PM.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,854 posts

I was under the impression he refused to give up his freedom and isn't sworn to any of them? He didn't want to repeat Horus' mistake - ultimately Horus was just a thrall to the powers of Chaos, and his soul was trapped in suffering.

• Subtleknife likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,363 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

They have still given him unimaginable power in an attempt to sway him - Abaddon is the only individual to ever possess the mark of Chaos Ascendant. Certainly, GW's description of Abaddon's might echoes Horus at the height of his power:

Bearing in mind the warp/ real interface, being the bearer of the Mark of Chaos Ascendant is not just having a shiny star of Chaos imprinted in one’s forehead. It is, when the Chaos gods are bestowing their blessing/ energy, to be the centre of a blazing star, to be surrounded by a coil of ever-replenshing Chaos energy, heralded by choirs of daemons of all powers, suffused with the essence of the four great Chaos Gods. To each worshipper and follower he appears different (much like the Emperor…). He is a schemer, a warrior, a self-centred iconoclast and a survivor.

• Slave to Darkness, Nemesor Tyriks and Tipsy Techpriest like this

bRxSYDV.png

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,815 posts

Yeah it has been part of his lore since at least the 2nd edition codex:

Abaddon-2nd-Edn.jpg

In Black Legion, ADB addressed it quite eloquently:

As he floated in the tank, naked of armour and dressed only in a plethora of old scars, that age-old suspicion resurfaced amidst my thoughts. He had always been huge for one of our kind, and had always possessed his primarch’s features, in the way many of the former Sons of Horus tended to do. It was common knowledge even during the Great Crusade that no Space Marine took after their primarch as obviously as Ezekyle Abaddon took after the Warmaster.

But seeing him stripped of battleplate and pretension alike, the similarity between dead father and living son was nothing short of revelatory. I finally gave voice to a question many had considered, yet none had dared ask.

‘Are you Horus?’

His golden eyes glinted with amusement. He dragged in a slow breath through his rebreather.

‘I am Ezekyle Abaddon,’ he said through the medicae tank’s speakers.

‘That is not what I meant.’ I shook my head and gestured to him: this immense figure in the suspension tank, with slabs of muscle over muscle and a demigod-like stature that had led to this ­legend being whispered throughout the Nine Legions, a legend that would one day be whispered across the galaxy. ‘Are you Horus? Are you his clone? His… son?’

He laughed, the sound wet and tinny over the speakers. ‘What do you believe, Khayon? Do you think I am?’

I saw no reason to lie. ‘Yes.’

This delighted him. I was not sure why.

‘And if I were, brother – if I were merely Horus remade, recrafted, with a twist in my gene-code here and an alteration there, would it change anything?’

I had to think about that. I looked into his eyes but saw no answers there, only amusement.

‘Perhaps. Perhaps you have always been a genetic twin of your primarch. Or perhaps Ezekyle Abaddon was slain in his pilgrimage across the Eye, and you are one of Fabius’ creations in his place. How am I to know?’

This, too, delighted him.

‘So yet again we come back to trust, my brother.’

‘So it seems.’

‘Let me ask you this, Khayon. What does it matter? Clones, sons, fathers… Let the herd whisper whatever truths they choose. Our eyes are set on worthier goals. We look to the future, not the past.’

I acceded with a nod, knowing that there was no answer to be had here. Knowing, ultimately, that he was right. It did not matter.

At least, not if he was on our side.

And in Talon, before this, we have this wonderful nod:

‘The body,’ I said softly.

Falkus knew of what I spoke. ‘They took it.’

Lheor’s laughter was rough across the vox. ‘They didn’t burn it?’

‘They took it.’

The remains of Horus Lupercal – who in time we would come to call the First and False Warmaster – plundered from where they lay in state at the heart of a fortress risen to celebrate his failure.

I exhaled slowly, turning my thoughts to why the Emperor’s Children would plunder his bones. A simple act of desecration? Possible, possible. The III Legion were rarely restrained in such acts of decadence. But this act rang with stronger significance. I could almost hear the warp whisper of it, though the warp can whisper of anything and everything. Only a fool heeds every song it sings.

[...]

‘I turned to those I could trust,’ he admitted. ‘Those who have been my allies in the past. You know why they took the Warmaster’s body,’ he said. It wasn’t a question. As long as the Nine Legions had lived in the Eye, there had been whispers of taking the corpse to be used in ways beyond storage in a war museum.

A primarch’s bones... What an offering that would make. What a gift to the powers behind the veil. There was more to this than common theft and decadence.

‘I’m not sure I want to know,’ Lheor muttered. ‘Their idea of ritual desecration is–’

I shook my head, cutting him off. ‘They took it to harvest it. To reap its genetic bounty.’

The Sons of Horus legionary nodded. Cloning wasn’t a word easily spoken by any warrior within the Nine Legions. Even here, in our lawless hell-realm, some sins remained vile. Cloning our kind has rarely worked well. Something in our genetics wracks the process, breeding certain unwelcome instabilities. Cloning a primarch? That was beyond any of us. Probably beyond anyone but the Emperor of Mankind, before his enthronement as a corpse upon his soul engine.

‘They can’t clone Horus,’ said Lheor. ‘No one can.’

‘It’s been done once before,’ Falkus pointed out.

The World Eater gave a piggish snort across the vox. ‘You mean Abaddon? Don’t piss a legend over us and tell me it’s raining truth.’

I allowed him that rather strained wordplay without interrupting. ‘Why would they do it?’ Lheor continued. ‘To what gain? Horus failed once, and he had half of the Imperium marching under his banner. No second chances.’

‘Can you really see no worth in resurrecting the First Primarch?’ Falkus asked.

Edited by Petitioner's City, 10 February 2019 - 09:26 PM.

• Marshal Loss, Midnightmare, grailkeeper and 1 other like this
Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,854 posts

I think it would be great if he was a clone, I just don't know how they could do it it following his detailed descriptions in the HH books. He's just an Astartes there. Remember many of the Sons of Horus take on features and look like their Primarch. There was even the guy called Little Horus because he was so similar.

It really would be awesome to have a more cunning Horus, but it's probably just a case of a large Astartes who looks like his Primarch and has swelled with power.

• Subtleknife likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Midnightmare

Midnightmare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,975 posts
Personally I think it’s better to leave it an unanswered question. Glad to think that size wise he is going to be beefed up enough to actually have the question plausible.

I cannot wait for this release :tu: :tu:
  • Marshal Loss, SickSix, Son of Carnelian and 3 others like this
bl-logo.jpggallery_45765_12339_50558.png
“We are returned”
Black Legion WIP
Flesh Eaters WIP
Tutorial:Glowing Eyes/Power Weapons
Index Astartes:Flesh Eaters

Guzzlrr

Guzzlrr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 162 posts
  • Faction: the Mortal Armies of Chaos.

I was explaining this to my friends the other day I know Black library books can stretch things a little but in the ADB Book talon of Horus during the scrap with the Horus clone it was written the only telling them apart was via Thier scars.hes as large as the direct clone of Horus.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure Abaddon's Terminator armour is custom because he was so large.

Personally I know I'm biased. But I feel he should be able to go toe to toe with Gulliman not destroy Gulliman but it should be a close fight. He's the mortal leader of chaos and has two of the most legendary weapons in the game. Not to mention any powers bestowed on him by the pantheon
  • Doctor Perils, Petitioner's City, Nemesor Tyriks and 1 other like this

Iron Within ! Iron Without!

My WIP Check it out.

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,647 posts

I was explaining this to my friends the other day I know Black library books can stretch things a little but in the ADB Book talon of Horus during the scrap with the Horus clone it was written the only telling them apart was via Thier scars.hes as large as the direct clone of Horus.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure Abaddon's Terminator armour is custom because he was so large.
Personally I know I'm biased. But I feel he should be able to go toe to toe with Gulliman not destroy Gulliman but it should be a close fight. He's the mortal leader of chaos and has two of the most legendary weapons in the game. Not to mention any powers bestowed on him by the pantheon
They definitely mentioned having to custom build his armor at some point. The Night Lords books also says he dwarfs the terminators next to him. He definitely should at least be a tough fight for Guilliman.
  • Guzzlrr, Juggernut and Son of Carnelian like this

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,752 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate

I think we know that fight would never play out to a lethal conclusion, though.

• Slave to Darkness, Doctor Perils and Nemesor Tyriks like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,044 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
Considering his enhancement by Chaos, blessed by Chaos Terminator armor, and his demon sword, Abaddon should be able to take Guilliman. It shouldn't be an easy fight for him, but it should be slanted in Abaddon's favor in any rules.
  • Guzzlrr, Nemesor Tyriks and Tipsy Techpriest like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

++ SECTURATOR BIPENNIFER ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,822 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Or like any real fight, the variables, the twists of fate, moments of hesitation, impetuous action... All the little things. The best fall to their lessers over things as simple as a misplaced step on bad ground.

There should be no definitive answer at to who would win that fight, just as there should be no definite answer to the "is he a clone?" question.

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,044 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

There should be no definitive answer at to who would win that fight

:facepalm:

I don't think anyone indicated what would actually happen. No definitive answers were discussed. The last few posts all used the phrase "should be" in practically every statement for that very reason, just as yours did.

No matter what, 6 2+ attacks at Strength 8 doing 3 Wounds at a time while having 9 Wounds and a 3+9 and a possible "Get up at the end" vs. whatever Abaddon ends up being is probably going to be a big time beat down fight...
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users