+++Age of Darkness Loyalist Outpost (AoD-L)+++

Anyone else feeling like something's lacking since ETL finished?

Because I am. Not sure if it was the adrenaline or the camaraderie, or both, or something else altogether, but I'm feeling like all the scratching I've just given my hobby itch has just led to more itching, and I'm wondering if anyone else is feeling similar.

We used to have a thing in the AoD forum called the Casual Painting Challenge, or something like that. Basically every month we'd set ourselves goals to paint a squad, or a tester mini, or a vehicle, or somesuch. Many of those who were involved have since moved on, but from memory Lion got stuck in a bit, as did Viridia and some others who might still be around.

Would any of you be interested in doing something similar, even if it's just a couple of minis a month? I'd like to keep my hobby at a consistent level going forward, because I've finally reached a point where I feel like I know what I'm doing, and too long a break will only be detrimental to that.

Let me know what you think, ideally before we lose this thread! :D

Edited by StruManChu

Anyone else feeling like something's lacking since ETL finished?

Because I am. Not sure if it was the adrenaline or the camaraderie, or both, or something else altogether, but I'm feeling like all the scratching I've just given my hobby itch has just led to more itching, and I'm wondering if anyone else is feeling similar.

We used to have a thing in the AoD forum called the Casual Painting Challenge, or something like that. Basically every month we'd set ourselves goals to paint a squad, or a tester mini, or a vehicle, or somesuch. Many of those who were involved have since moved on, but from memory Lion got stuck in a bit, as did Viridia and some others who might still be around.

Would any of you be interested in doing something similar, even if it's just a couple of minis a month? I'd like to keep my hobby at a consistent level going forward, because I've finally reached a point where I feel like I know what I'm doing, and too long a break will only be detrimental to that.

Let me know what you think, ideally before we lose this thread! :biggrin.:

Sort of? As a commission painter, the work is kinda never ending, and I'm usually working on something.

Here in Florida, I sort of disappear from B&C until the painting events pop up, then there's a flurry of activity, then I'm back to doing my own thing again. Instagram, Facebook etc. As far as keeping the momentum up with the hobby, however: I'd be more than happy to continually post photos of things I'm working on. Next week I'll be heading down to Tampa and meeting up with Florida Omegon and a few of the other members of our gang for a Heresy Demo Night at one of the hobby shops. I'm planning on bringing all 11k of my Ultramarines down for the event for a display and I'll get some photos uploaded of that.

Shoot me a message with any painting things you want to do, I'm always down.

Oh heck yeah I feel the itch, too! Honestly, I also still feel a bit stunned that we pulled it off. :D

Earlier today I was wondering what painting event was coming up next. All I could come up with was Boxing Day Bash and I know I can't wait that long.

A few years ago we had a March of the Legions thing where you painted a figure/unit from a different legion each month until you had all 18. I came in on the tail end of it just as it fizzled. I did two then decided it was no fun to play alone. I think Kizzdougs was the only one to finish them all. I'd participate in that.

I also remember that informal painting challenge. It too had trickled to a stop by the time I finally started an account. Seemed like a fun thing and I would definitely participate if we started it back up. It would encourage me to try new techniques and encourage me to get to some of those non-legal units I want in my Ordo Reductor. Maybe we can even have a little badge: Member AoD Fun Paint Club. :lol:

I think the hard part would be getting a mod or somebody interested in running it.

I know I'm usually down for a bit of a painting club, AoD style.  Then maybe I can to the whole legion lay's challenge "Betcha can't paint just one" instead of feeling compelled to work out, like 3K worth of models.  There's definitely an appeal to get to shoot some back and forth about ideas, projects, and such where everything's connected rather than in just our own separate independent threads.  So then I don't feel quite as absolutely awful about not updating my actual army thread...

Oh dear Lupercal, I just realized I have so much to catch up on and fluff to write...

Ah, the ETL blues, I know thee well. ;p

Well if you want a casual painting event to keep you going from month to month why not try Grotsmasha’s 12 Month of Hobby Challenge, you can join up at any time and continue from there.

I have been finding it as a great source of hobby motivation as I can set a goal each month and there a a lot of varied participants.

I will also be running the Facing the Unknown event again this year, probably starting a little later than last year, say late October or early November (in time for new sisters) so if you want to dip your toe into starting a new army or revisit a really old one then that might be an event for you as well.

Trokair, thanks for the reminder of Grotsmasha's challenge. There are a few things I'd like to add to my 40k DA army that didn't exist back when i finished it. Facing the Unknown... hmmm. I have an ancient Sister's army. Perhaps, though I really do need to get on the Ordo Reductor segment of my siege army.

Anyway, the draw of continuing to interact here with heresy focused brothers is strong. Whatever ya'll work out, I'm in!

I’m down and ready for moar yellow painting as my Fists need to be resupplied... I also have a TON of finish work to do on my solar auxilia so heck yes!!!

Also... I voted for my own Titan;)

I also voted for you. We need more signature bling in the Loyalist Camp. Gotta stick it to the Traitors, and I can't have Altis show you up, since he vowed traitor. 

Anyone else feeling like something's lacking since ETL finished?...

It looks as though there's some interest, Stru. So where do we go from here? Perhaps you could post a separate thread to gauge interest for the new Casual Painting Challenge from the whole AoD. Maybe we'll even get lucky and some gracious soul will volunteer to run the thing. :D

Lionofjudah, I voted for you as well. I feel you had the best paint job and the most dynamic pose.

Edited for stupid typo

Edited by Semper Fortis