super mega huge apocalyptic micro battles

mughi3

Yes the 15mm bases you can get on amazon are perfect for characters- look at the first picture, that's what mine are on

https://www.amazon.com/Proxie-Models-Round-Figure-Bases/dp/B00ISV544A/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3OWU3YGV6N7IB&keywords=15mm+base&qid=1564124008&s=toys-and-games&sprefix=15mm+%2Caps%2C228&sr=1-1

also vanguard has the 28mm bases with the slots for 5 of the 6mm minis built in.

Glad to see your getting into this, I think your gonna enjoy it.

I know one of the suggestions on here for movements and ranges was to simply just cut all values in half. My group is going to try using centimeters instead of inches. Same values as posted on datasheets and rules, just say they're in centimeters instead. If it doesn't work, we'll try the half-value option instead. But playing at such a small scale, we're still trying to figure out a good board size. Right now I'm thinking a 3x3 or 4x4 would be the best option. Hopefully going to be able to try this out on Saturday.

I know one of the suggestions on here for movements and ranges was to simply just cut all values in half. My group is going to try using centimeters instead of inches. Same values as posted on datasheets and rules, just say they're in centimeters instead. If it doesn't work, we'll try the half-value option instead. But playing at such a small scale, we're still trying to figure out a good board size. Right now I'm thinking a 3x3 or 4x4 would be the best option. Hopefully going to be able to try this out on Saturday.

We are going to look towards centimeters too!

I think we will try to use a 6x4 table, so that aircraft and artillery are increasingly important. If that's too big, which I mean, it prolly will be haha we will scale down the board size.

Edited by MoshJason

4X4 tables are fine if your going less than 5k points, when you go bigger a standard 6x4 works better, heck sometimes we use the stores full 8X4 table to really utilize the artillery, titan weapons, and transport options like the sky talon(yes vanguard has those to)

We use the half value ranges because it seemed easiest to remember, and not everybody has measuring devices in CMs

Now that I think about it. it seems funny that 5K games are small, but at this scale they really do feel small, I put together a 2K list in micro scale and it felt like I had nothing on the table.

P.S. frontline gaming is having a sale on a bunch of their game mats, since we fight the tau all the time I bought the tau city mat and a bunch of tau like buildings from brigade(desert domes/scifi building set), i'll post some pics when I get it all together.

I sadly wasn't able to get a game in this weekend, but I did get to take a picture of what I had printed/purchased and cleaned.

gallery_163888_15608_97216.jpg

There are BSS, Retributors, Celestine, cannonesses, seraphim, a bunch of imnolators, 3 Repressors, 3 Exorcists, 3 knights, 4 deathatrikes, 6 leman Russes, 2 mauruaders, 2 lightnings, 4 chimeras, and a bunch of Scions and Scion primes.

I have 4 Valkyries, 1 vulture, another knight, a few more chimeras and a bunch of big buildings that still need to be cleaned up before we can use them, as well as some Tyranids and space wolves I have to edit in tinkercad before I can print them.

A little disappointed that the 300 cards in the box set for Apocalypse only cover 1 player, really, but still very excited to try this game out!

I got my first game in Saturday of Epic Apoc. My buddy was willing to test it out with me. And with the exception of the lack of cards due to only using one box like MoshJason mentioned, it worked out incredibly well. We were able to do a 300PL (using Apoc rules) on a 4x4, simply cutting all movements and ranges in half rounding up as needed (we're gonna try centimeters next game, see how that works for us). Played it on a 4' x 4' table, and it felt like we had more than plenty of space to maneuver and play. 

The scale works for this system. And I am super excited about that. And to make it better, I'm fairly certain I convinced at least 3 or 4 others to start collecting and Epic army too. Plus I found out one other person already has an actual Epic Imperial Guard army. 

I'll try to post pictures of my Space Marines here later.... once I can figure out how to actually post pictures lol

MoshJason looking good, now tally up the cost that would have run you in 28mm and smile a little inside. :biggrin.:

Frostglaive, glad it worked for you, although we didn't round anything off we literally used half. what does 300PL translate to in normal points?

for images- use an IMGR account (BB code), switch your B&C post to BB code mode, copy and paste-

Now the fun part-collecting your terrain for epic scale.

I got something new in the works, I will post on it later when it's done.

Edited by mughi3

Mughi3, I fully blame this on you since you were the one who posted this first. But I think I started a 6mm movement at my FLGS. After the first game I played, a few people asked me for the third-party sites for those models. And I played a second game with a buddy on Saturday. 3 more people were convinced to start buying 6mm stuff. 

I've brought about Tiny Madness to my FLGS! And I fully blame you for it since you got me hooked on this! lol

And to answer your question, before the Chapter Approved books changed all the point values, 1 Power Level used to average about 20pts. So a 300PL Apoc game should come to about a 6,000pt 40k game. Give or take about 1000pts. 

Also thank you for posting how to post pictures here. I'll post some later on

i take and accept your compliment and I share the joy of your pain :biggrin.:

Now get to work on that 6mm terrain :wink:

I look forward to seeing some pictures. I will post mine after this weekend as it looks like my stuff will be done and ready for game night.

P.S. so how many people are getting titanicus models now to match 6mm play? I have a reaver, another guy got some knights and a couple others went full maniple with warlords, reavers, and warhounds.

Edited by mughi3

Alright, so no pics. My Internet connection at home is being dumb, and the network at my job won't let me do anything. So yeah, sorry about that. I can link my Twitter if that works too. Been posting pics on there recently.

Terrain I'm not worried about tbh. My FLGS has a ton of terrain there. Mostly for regular scale, but there's some 15mm and 6mm stuff. And a lot of the regular terrain is usable as well.

I did buy some AT Knights and Titans already. Reaver, 2 Warhounds, 2 Porphyrions, and 6 Knights.... so far. I want to get a Warlord as well, some Cerastus, and a few more regular Knights. But I also want more superheavies for my Space Marines. Simply because I love the look of the Fellblades and Falchions. 

I do have a question of my own now: So the Vanguard Minis for Marines are at 8mm scale, which is awesome. But none of the stuff they have are good for Primaris Marines. So I'm trying to look elsewhere to get some stuff for them. My initial thinking is Dropzone Commander, use the PHR infantry for Primaris since they're I believe at 10mm scale. Or my other option is find Marines that are actually at 6mm scale and use my Vanguard Minis that are already at 8mm for Primaris... but I don't want to do that if I can help it. Does anyone have any good recommendations for Primaris-style models?

These might work, they are still the same scale but are in bulky armor-

https://ns-games.com/product/tecton-order-knight-brotherhood-6mm/

Honestly at this scale, I just do -counts as- and paint them a bit different-I use the vanguard special weapons teams as hellblasters

Edited by mughi3

Vanguard does their stuff in 6 mm, as does GW. A marine is never the scale model, as they are taller than humans.

Anyway, had my first Apoc match (250 PL DG vs. Krieg) in 6 mm and it worked really well. While there's certainly some stuff to fiddle with (embarking distances, characters and power armour barely benefitting from cover to name some), the base is solid. Got to play more.

So here is my latest project for epic scale 40K-

The tau city-

buildings in 3/6/15mm from brigade miniatures, rocks from gale force 9/ESLO minatures, trees-JR minatures(no longer in business), mat-frontline gaming

EOH2Ezi.jpg

mcwaefl.jpg

Edited by mughi3

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting my next game in tomorrow. 600PL per side. My buddy is using my 2 Warhounds, Reaver (all from AT), possibly my Knights, and filling in whatever's left with some allied Marines. I'm running Chaos Marines, and I feel like he's gonna hate me for my list. At least a quarter of it that is...

I have some old Mech Warrior clix models that I rebased and am going to use as Obliterators. I have 6x 3-man squads of them deep striking in alongside 2 Terminator Lords and 2 Sorcerors (split up into 2 Spearheads btw). Each 3-man squad does 6 attacks, hitting on 3's (2's since they'll be Taking Aim) rerolling 1's, wounding EVERYTHING on 5+. That's 36 attacks. And each 3-man has 6 wounds with a 4+ save. 

My buddy is probably gonna murder me by the end of Turn 1. And it's going to be worth it

• 1 month later...