recently, I started to write down some notes and rough concepts I had in my mind just to get something done and start working with it. Besides that, there was that idea of creating something completely different in my head, for a long time now.
Some years ago, I already did something similar, the Dominion of Storms. It was a sandbox concept in which I could write and create everything I came up with. Now, older and a bit wiser now, I not only see its flaws but most importantly, its incredible size. Back then, I was already told, that my DoS was larger than the Sol Sector. Some stuff came to nothing as I didn't know how to implement it, anymore. There was just too much happening already, with 3+ Space Marine chapters, several Xenos races, two crusades of reclamation set in the Dark Imperium and so on. Furthermore, GW made it even worse when I draw a map, which included all official maps from every codex. Let's just say that it's a mess: 1 'Nid fleet, 3 Necron dynasties, 2 Ork Waaghs and several Chaos shenanigans. Simply said: I lost the motivation.
That's the reason why I wanted to start this somewhat smaller scaled project, the Vraccarian Rift
Of sub-sector size, the Rift will set limits to what I want to implement and work with. At the same time, this limit will allow me to structure my progress a bit more than the previous one.
I'm going to make use of several posts for worlds, factions, history and such. Maybe I'll implement my other, currently running, DIY chapter, as well, someday. Most likely will I reuse some bits of the Dominion, like Craftworld Umare.
This is a developing DIY project, so things might change and have to be adapted in time. For now, I'm intending to avoid the Dark Imperium setting in order to get the basement done. Because of that, I bought myself copies of the World of Westeros and the Silmarillion books, which hopefully will be of use in terms of worldbuilding.
But for now, to give you an overview of what this is all about and of what I've got thus far.
Feel free to comment and give feedback. I'm eager to mend flaws, I might have missed.
The Vraccarian Rift
Location: North of the Great Rift, on the borders of Segmentum Obscurus and Ultima, in between Fenris and Valhalla
Size: sub-sector, a handful of systems
Government: the High Seat, a Council of the highest ranking leaders of the imperial factions
Sources of Inspirations/ themes:
- Tolkien (Lord of the Rings), Martin (Song of Ice and Fire), Markus Heitz (German author of the Dwarves series), maybe some Lovecraft stuff, as well
- Game of Thrones and Vikings series
- lore of Warcraft (Dwarves, Vrykul, Scourge, Old Gods, Northrend)
Current faction lineup and the ideas behind them:
- Aeldari: Craftworld Umare and Maiden worlds, as secret allies of Imperium, in time, most of them radicalize and start a purging campaign across the Rift; even their own kind
- Drukhari: The Cabal of the Reaping Moon, chasing after Craftworld Umare, allied with an ancient evil to safe themselves, their fleshformer created abominations from Drukhari and Ork genes
- Genestealer cult: heralding the end of all things, preparing the arrival of a Hive Fleet, growing influence across the Rift while main forces are distracted
- Orks: being themselves, searching for a powerful artifact/ entity, da Angry One, a C'than shard, which their Weirdboys have foretold
- Necrons: Setekh (wip name) dynasty, chasing after the C'than shard
- Chaos: Death Guard, came to scour all life in Nurgles name, serving a daemon prince
- Chaos anomaly/ storm, which is barely held in check by a local fortress of the Imperium, Ordo Malleus headquarter; demons are constantly trying to break through powerful psychic wards
- Chaos: a seemingly benelovent creature, manipulating people to protect itself and feast upon them, natural enemy of the C'than shard
- Imperium: Adeptus Mechanicum, main supplier of imperial forces, due to heavy gravity, those adepts are smaller in size and compensate through bionics (Gnome/ tinker-ish)
- Imperium: Astartes Chapter, Iron Hammers (wip name), Dwarves, House Stark and allied Houses, guardians of the Rift, either Iron Hands, Salamanders or Imperial Fists successor, master smiths, occasionally shieldwall tactics, chapter symbol's being a rams head, took Nordmar as their homeworld after its original owners were nearly erradicated (House Harkon and its allied Houses)
- Imperium: Knight Household, most likely a surviving minor House of those, who once ruled over Nordmar, House Mormont "Here I stand!"
- Nordmar: either home to a Knight Household or an Astartes chapter, ice world, Norway/ Sweden, Northrend, GoTs North, medieval, few large continents, close to Deathworld classification, mountains, feudal system, Khaz Modan, people live in cities within mountain chains
- Obsidiak II, Adeptus Mechanicum, the second world to be taken by the AdMech (first one was destroyed during the Heresy), close ties to Nordmar, secretly innovative, barren world, toxicated
- Maiden Worlds of Craftworld Umare: Exodites, flourishing, "typical" fantasy creatures like Gryphons instead of dinosaurs, hidden within the Yurai nebula
- Drukhari world: jungle moon, orbiting a gas giant, constant darkness, those Drukhari have coal eyes, a result of mutation or radiation, raiders and artists, small cities, seat of power is made of bone
- "Da Great Brokk'n": a gigantic artificial construct, made from the remains of Ork ships smashed together, half the size of a moon, extremely slow but mobile