Dosjetka

CHAPTER DATAFILE
gallery_45765_13001_44189.jpgBattle-Brother Vei'Sal-peq, 3rd Company, 9th Squad (Devastator)

CHAPTER NAME: ..............THE PRAETORS OF DENZARR
FOUNDING: ..................8TH [M.34]
CHAPTER WORLD: .............ORZIN'S LANDING
FORTRESS MONASTERY: ........FORT VARSHEN
GENE-SEED (PREDECESSOR): ...IMPERIAL FISTS [bLAZING SWORDS]
KNOWN DESCENDANTS: .........SHIELDS CARDINAL

Notable History

Created during the 8th Founding and ordained by the High Lords to reclaim territory lost during the Howling, Chapter 518 spent many years operating from its fleet, waging war against the alien and insurgent. After a century of campaigns and purges, Chapter 518 would come across what was known as the Denzarr sector. Long a prosperous group of star systems that brought many resources and vital trade into neighbouring sectors, it had suffered terribly during the Howling and Imperial control was all but lost. The young Chapter, along with its crusading allies, set out to reclaim this vital portion of space. It took half a century for them to fulfill their objective, with many Space Marines and an untold umber of mortal soldiers dying to bring back the Emperor's light to the fallen realms of the Denzarr sector. Due to both the vital importance of the sector and the time, resources, and effort it had taken Chapter 518 and its allies to retake the lost systems, Chapter Master Daur Ulsyn and Commander-Militant Aemilia Roth of the Crimson Shroud, a minor Ecclesiarchial military order, jointly decided to claim a portion of territory as their own, allowing them to recover from their losses but, more importantly, defend Denzarr and its worlds from existing and future military threats.
tn_gallery_45765_15430_20618.jpg
Chapter symbol

Orzin's Landing, a feral world on the edge of the Zun system was chosen as the Chapter's new home. Once the Fortress-Monastery, Fort Varshen, was constructed, Master Ulsyn ordered that a ceremony be held in honour of the fallen but equally to renew their vows to the Emperor, Imperium, and newly-acquired protectorate. At the culmination of this event, Master Ulsyn told to his brothers they would henceforth be known as the Praetors of Denzarr.

While a small portion of the Praetors stayed behind on Orzin's Landing to establish Fort Varshen's full operational capability, the rest of the Chapter set out to eradicate any lingering malign presence within the sector and along its borders. Over time the Chapter would erect redoubts and minor fortresses across Denzarr to better defend its planets and people. These keeps would also serve as recruitment and listening posts for the Chapter, left under the care of the Reserve Companies and the overall command of the 6th Company Captain.

Combat Doctrine

The Praetors of Denzarr, while having a defensive operation as their raison d' Edited by Dosjetka

A good start. I dislike halved color schemes, as the Marines and their vehicles look totally different when you view them from the left and right sides, meaning there's a very real risk allies will misidentify them and make them victims of "friendly fire"- but if you're set in that color scheme, go ahead.

Why use white and green? White for the purity of the Marines' purpose, green to show this purpose is to make the Emperor's realm fertile and His peoples prosperous?

Digging the colours, halved heraldry feels very knightly.

Yellow eyes is a good shout, especially since you're already using red for details like the knee and purity seals. :happy.:

So, on to the bullet points:

Are the worlds cleansed (and then claimed) by the Praetors anything along the lines of how the Ultramarines used to not only conquer, but integrate worlds into the Imperium?

I'd quite like to see some of Dorn's sons putting together a mini-Ultramar of their own, to be fair.

I can imagine a ring of 'bastion worlds' with a lot of defensive emplacements and fortifications, with anything less heavily fortified in the sector's centre, behind one of these 'frontline' worlds. :happy.:

Definitely looking forward to seeing these guys develop.:biggrin.:

I'd love to know more; what made them want to stay in Denzarr? Valuable worlds? Emotional attachment? Relics and the like? Damsel in distress?

Do the chapter keeps operate independently of each other? Is there a chapter master/captain looking over them?

How does the chapter operate now that they are settled? Did they establish a council or is a lone man in charge of this sub sector's defense?

Always do love to see a rare halved scheme in the mix and Dornian Knights always give me happy tingles. :D

So looks like we have a Chapter with strong discipline to attack with a controlled ferocity. As they like to get up close, how is their structure in terms of Fire Support and battle tanks?

How long did it take for them to cleanse the Denzarr sector? Have any pacts with any other Imperial factions emerged as a result?

Cambrius

I'm looking forward to the moment an Angel of Redemption rounds a corner to stumble upon a Praetor of Denzarr and they do the 'are you a reflection or an impostor?' dance.

The other posters brought up good questions. Dolchiate Remembrancer especially; just what is so important about the Denzarr sector that the crusade fleet not only decides to settle there instead of continuing to sail the stars reclaiming systems, but also to rename themselves after it and to change their objective from the one they were created to achieve in the first place?

(Unless you meant that they vowed to "defend it everafter" in addition to still following their High Lords-given directive.)

Knightly Chapter, likes to get up close for the kill (though without being berzerkers or full-on Templars);

"It's not dead until you see the light die in its eyes."

• 1 month later...

I've updated the first post to contain enough information to be in compliance with the Liber Astartes Swap Challenge. More soon!

A good start. I dislike halved color schemes, as the Marines and their vehicles look totally different when you view them from the left and right sides, meaning there's a very real risk allies will misidentify them and make them victims of "friendly fire"- but if you're set in that color scheme, go ahead.

Why use white and green? White for the purity of the Marines' purpose, green to show this purpose is to make the Emperor's realm fertile and His peoples prosperous?

Cheers for the feedback, Bjorn. The main reason for the scheme is it makes them seem more like knights of old. And yes, regarding the white and green, that's more or less the ideas I had come up with. :)

Digging the colours, halved heraldry feels very knightly.

Yellow eyes is a good shout, especially since you're already using red for details like the knee and purity seals. :happy.:

So, on to the bullet points:

Are the worlds cleansed (and then claimed) by the Praetors anything along the lines of how the Ultramarines used to not only conquer, but integrate worlds into the Imperium?

I'd quite like to see some of Dorn's sons putting together a mini-Ultramar of their own, to be fair.

I can imagine a ring of 'bastion worlds' with a lot of defensive emplacements and fortifications, with anything less heavily fortified in the sector's centre, behind one of these 'frontline' worlds. :happy.:

Definitely looking forward to seeing these guys develop.:biggrin.:

Thanks, Ace! Glad you like the colour scheme and have identified its main raison d'être (making them feel knightly). :tu:

The Praetors most likely don't go to the same lengths as the Ultramarines do in terms of reintegration of conquered worlds but I imagine them ensuring that someone is around to reorganise the world, its resources, and its people into something Imperium-approved before moving on.

A mini-Ultramar is pretty much what I had in mind though with less Astartes meddling in the governance of worlds and the sector.

I'd love to know more; what made them want to stay in Denzarr? Valuable worlds? Emotional attachment? Relics and the like? Damsel in distress?
Do the chapter keeps operate independently of each other? Is there a chapter master/captain looking over them?
How does the chapter operate now that they are settled? Did they establish a council or is a lone man in charge of this sub sector's defense?

Cheers for reading through my notes and your questions, DR. :)

The worlds in the Denzarr system are of greater value and, when combined with the amount of Astartes blood that was spilled to reclaim said-worlds, I imagine it's enough of a reason for the Praetors to stick around. Perhaps they went as far as sending a petition to the High Lords, asking them to authorise a modification of their original orders?

The keeps are not independently operated and are under the overall command of the 6th Company Captain, aka Master of the Keeps/Forts/Redoubts (not sure what the final title will be).

While there is no doubt a senior council within the higher echelons of the Chapter, the Chapter Master is very much the man in charge of his one thousand or so Space Marines. The sector's defence is coordinated via a separate council where the Chapter Master has nominal command but where the Imperial human officials in charge of the sector's PDF and Navy actually run the day-to-day business.

Always do love to see a rare halved scheme in the mix and Dornian Knights always give me happy tingles. :biggrin.:

So looks like we have a Chapter with strong discipline to attack with a controlled ferocity. As they like to get up close, how is their structure in terms of Fire Support and battle tanks?

How long did it take for them to cleanse the Denzarr sector? Have any pacts with any other Imperial factions emerged as a result?

Cambrius

I'm glad you like what you see, Cambrius, and thanks for the feedback! :D

I'll admit I haven't thought much about Fire Support and battle tank elements within the Chapter but I have a few ideas on how they might be deployed that I'll add to a future update.

It took them a good half a century and they are now good friends with the Crimson Shroud, a now-ex-proto-Adepta-Sororitas militant organisation and a couple of Imperial Guard regiments. And the local Navy probably also.

I have never been bold enough to try a halved theme, but this looks rad indeed! The setting you've chosen for them has a lot of interesting storytelling promise.

Thanks, Messor!

Greetings Chaplain Dos,

Your outline for the Praetors of Denzarr looks promising and the halved pattern for their livery is kickin':thumbsup:  I'm looking forward to seeing how this chapter fills out.

Cheers, Lunkhead. :)

I'm looking forward to the moment an Angel of Redemption rounds a corner to stumble upon a Praetor of Denzarr and they do the 'are you a reflection or an impostor?' dance.

The other posters brought up good questions. Dolchiate Remembrancer especially; just what is so important about the Denzarr sector that the crusade fleet not only decides to settle there instead of continuing to sail the stars reclaiming systems, but also to rename themselves after it and to change their objective from the one they were created to achieve in the first place?

(Unless you meant that they vowed to "defend it everafter" in addition to still following their High Lords-given directive.)

Knightly Chapter, likes to get up close for the kill (though without being berzerkers or full-on Templars);

"It's not dead until you see the light die in its eyes."

That would be funny. :D

The importance of the Denzarr system lies with its age, wealth of resources, and astral position. Add to that the blood of hundreds of Astartes spilled to reclaim the worlds and you have, in my mind, a good enough reason for those changes. :)