IA: The Ashen Blades (LASC 19, WIP)

Kelborn

Hello there,

this is the beginning of (hopefully) one of two complete Index articles featuring my newest (of too many) chapter ideas: the Ashen Blades

I'll start off with the key facts I already got, expanding on them in time. The other chapter's going to be the Night Owls but I'll cover them in their own seperate thread.

Now back to the Ashen Blades. By the way, the name is not fixed yet. I'm still open for suggestions but I needed to give the chapter a work title. :wink:

One of them will also play a part in my BL submission of these years open window, so there might be some fanfic fluff coming in, as well.

The first idea behind the Ashen Blades were that of a Pre-Lorgar themed Primaris successor. One that hunts down cults and such, burning all heretic lore which is not compliant to the Imperial Truth (which itself is a lie). While writing this down, they evolved into a lore protecting chapter, tasked to help Guiliman in restore the imperial past while hunting heretics, traitors and the likes. I would like to go back to this idea at a later time, maybe after finishing the basement to work upon.

Before starting, I want to thank you (the entire LIBER community) for inspiring me to get something done. There were plenty of realy cool and unique concepts uploaded in the last weeks! Here's hope that my humble ideas may one day be as epic as yours. :thumbsup:

Now, let's have a look on the Ashen Blades, shall we?

Ashen Blade symbol

Chapter Name:            Ashen Blades

Founding:                    Ultima Founding

Geneseed:                   Salamanders

Chapter Master:          Gardion Flameheart

Homeworld:                 Vulkar

Combat Doctrine:        Siege Warfare & Liberation and Defensive Operations (chapter) + Suppression of Ideological Revolt & Lore Culling (Vanguard)

Battlecry:                     Sons of Vulkan!" "To arms!"

Colours:                       Various tones of grey and red

Chapter Badge:           A sword in front of a flame

History

The Ashen Blades is a Loyalist Codex Astartes-compliant Space Marine Chapter born of the Ultima Founding and a Successor Chapter of the Salamanders, composed entirely of Primaris Space Marines. The Ashen Blades were amongst the first of the Primaris Chapters created in the Ultima Founding. The Ashen Blades' homeworld is Vulkar, located in the northern half of the Ultima Segmentum. Though their battle record is still growing, they have already established themselves as vital supporters of Lord Regent Dante of the Blood Angels along other newly founded chapters like the Ebonspears or Night Owls. Furthermore, have they been chosen to follow unofficial orders given to them by Lord Guiliman himself.

The Ashen Blades Ashen Blades have gained a reputation as caring and utterly focused warriors who rarely back down if civilian lives are at risk. Following the teachings of the Promethean Cult, they stay true to the virtues of their genefather Vulkan. Self-sacrifice, loyalty and self-reliance are greatly emphasized by all their battle brothers and further, by the people of their newly given homeworldVulkar. Once brought into compliance by the eighteenth Legion under Vulkan himself, the citizens of this icy death world pledged their fealty to his recently awoken sons.

During the Indomitus Crusade did the Ashen Blades specialize in siege warfare and liberation operations, risking their lives to bring lost world into compliance once more. For them, a barren world, which requires repopulation is a lost cause. Each life saved by them will bolster the ranks of the imperial forces within the Imperium Nihilus. Besides saving as many lives and worlds as possible, do their Vanguard forces have a quite different agenda: securing historical records. While leading theIndomitus Crusade, Lord RobouteGuiliman established a new order of mortals, whose goal was to reconstruct an official history record of the Imperium, mimicking the Remembrancers he once knew during the golden age of the Imperium. With the Imperium Nihilus still being in an even worse state of constant war than the secure southern Imperium, Guiliman decided to dedicate an entire chapter to this cause. Known for their dedication and humanitarian beliefs, Guiliman thought the sons of his brother Vulkan to be the perfect candidates to gather, validate and secure those records for him. Deep within their new Fortress Monastery had the Ashen Blades begun to create a vast archive of different kinds of records. Not only do they search for ancient records, but also for rumours and hints about seemingly lost realms of the Imperium Nihilus.

Aside from their battle proneness and secret agenda, are theAshen Bladesalso accomplished weaponsmiths, often crafting their own weapons and war gear. Born into a galaxy riven by war, the Ashen Blades are eager to prove themselves to their Primarch and their Emperor, throwing themselves into combat against the Imperium's countless foes.

Organization

The Ashen Blades' Chapter organization follows the standard revised Codex Astartes structure. It consists of ten companies, also called Lodges, of Primaris Space Marines, each one hundred warriors strong. Each is commanded by a Captain, who is assisted by a pair of Lieutenants, a Chaplain, an Apothecary, an Ancient, and a retinue of Veterans. The rest of the company is divided into squads of ten to five warriors. There are only slight adaptions in terms of naming certain ranks and disciplines, for example are members of the Librarium called as Battlesmiths. Another example would be the priests of Kharrzim, the chapters equivalent of a codex compliant Reclusiam.

As sworn guardians of the Vraccarian Rift, were the Ashen Blades part of the rebuilding process after the reclamation of the Rift, the so-called Riftwar. Although the Rift was officially declared as being brought into compliance, the crusade cost the Ashen Blades and its allies dear, the war is far from over. To cover as much of the Rift as possible, did the Ashen Blades construct four additional chapter bases, acting as staging points, stations for resupply and places to train and raise new recruits until they are sent to Vulkar. Each of those posts are habituated by two entire chapters. This enables them to react on emergency calls as soon as possible. Furthermore, do those posts act as gathering places for newly acquired chronics, predictions and other useful data. The lodges of the Ashen Blades are currently spread as followed:

• 1 & 10th in space, battle barge Vulkatrix,
  • 2 & 6th on Vulkar, Fortress Monastery Khoz-Ghyrak
  • 3 & 7th on , base of Dorakis
  • 4 & 8th on , base of Dul Bodaz
  • 5 & 9th in the Chpem asteroid belt

The 1st Company is made up of the Chapter's most experienced warriors. Veterans who wish to join the 1st Company's ranks rise through several companies, gaining experiences an reputation. Chosen by their superiors, each member of the 1st Company is a veteran of countless battles, a source of inspiration and wisdom and an embodiment of Vulkans teachings. The 1st Company rarely fights as one unit, usually taking to the field alongside other companies to serve as a veteran reserve. Still, the majority of the 1st Company resides on the chapter's flagship, the Vulkatrix, acting as a honor guard for their chapter master and rapid strike force along with members of the Vanguard company.

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Companies are Battle Companies and do most of the Chapter's fighting. They usually consist of six battleline squads, two close support squads and two fire support squads, forming a balanced force to take on any foe. When the Ashen Blades go to war, they usually deploy a single Battle Company supported by troops from the Veteran, Scout and Reserve Companies.

The Reserve Companies are each made up of squads of the same designation. The 6th and 7th Company are essentially additional Battle Companies. Their squads can be moved into a Battle Company to replace losses during a campaign.

The 8th Company is the Close Support Company. Reivers and Inceptors from the 8th Company often comprise the first wave of an invasion force, disrupting enemy lines and causing panic before the main forces arrive. The warriors of the 8th Company are also expert at responding quickly to support their brothers when needed.

The 9th Company is the Fire Support Company. It is made up of Hellblasters and other heavy weapons squads. They will often be called to assist a battle company should they need extra firepower. Furthermore do the Intercessor and Aggressor squads act as bulwarks of firepower on the battlefield, guaranteeing their brothers advance while at the same time securing escape routes for civilians.

The 10th Company of the Ashen Blades is the Scout Company. It consists of fresh recruits whose training is incomplete. They are often tasked with reconnaissance missions during their training process. Aside from training the chapters future recruits do the Vanguard forces follow a quite different goal. Besides the regular specialization of acting behind enemy lines, do the brothers of the Vanguard company act as pathfinders to lost or claimed hubs of information. It is they who secure data vaults, archives and so on until they have been screened by the chapters techmarines. Vanguard strike forces are the first to enter a battlefield and among the last to leave it. They remain until their discoveries are either secured by the main forces of their chapter or, if forced, until they have destroyed every last scroll of lore, preventing it from being used by their enemies.

Specialty Ranks and Units

• The Keymasters The Keymasters are the absolute rulers of the chapters growing archives on Vulkar. Regardless of their origin, be it a priest of Kharrzim or a member of the Battlesmiths, all serve for their greater purpose of their chapter given to them by Lord Guiliman himself. It is they, who analyse every bit of newly discovered lore, using a strict process, which shall filter between heretical writings and useful chronics. With the help of the chapters armoury is the archive constantly growing, which requires a frequently update on the security systems, traps, locks and so on. As a result do only the Keymasters have an overview of every process currently happening in the archives. Without their guidance, even the battle hardened Veteran might get lost in the deep vaults of their Fortress Monastery.
  • more to come

Combat Doctrine

- the Ashen Blades wage war on two fronts: against the foes of the Imperium and to preserve its past and once claimed wisdom

- while the majority of the chapter fights to reclaim and protect worlds, its vanguard is mostly sent to search for data archives and such in order to reclaim as much as possible

- in doing so did they specialize in siege warfare and liberation/ defensive operations; weither they defend or the lay siege to a world, their outmost priority is to safeguard as many lives as possible

- Vamguard strike forces are sent prior to the main battleforce in order to analyze the battlefield and their foes while at the same time taking a look for archives, data vaults, etc. which will be important to secure during the fight

- with enough intel gathered do the Ashen Blades fall upon their foe

- Inceptor squadrons fall from the skies upon well prepaired targets, marking the first step of the chapter's attack

- Hellblasters and tanks lay siege upon enemy fortresses while Aggressors and Intercessors advance in mobile transports, breaking through enemy lines

- Aggressors spread out, adding their devastating firepower to the overall chaos within enemy ranks; at the same time, Intercessors join forces with Vanguard and Inceptor squadrons, overwhelming the remaining adversaries

Homeworld

- Vulkar, an icy death world, which was once claimed by the XVIIIth Legion during the Great Crusade

- the sons of Vulkan saved its population from an growing Ork infestation and reestablished order and civilization beneath thick layers of snow and frost

- these days, great cities lie beneath the surface in vast caverns and tunnels, acting as hubs for several tribes

- until this day, do they fight the remaining Orks, which still haunt them (comparable with Ironjaws Orruks of AoS)

- the Ashen Blades' initiates fight against these with shields and hammer/ sword to proof themselves and their capabilities

- several other lethal threats like giant tunnel worms, rock flayers, ravager beasts and so on; nearly nothing of flora & fauna on the surface, only ice and some legendary predators

- the chapters fortress monastery is built into a mountain, with one third being above the surface and two third reaching deep into Vulkars ground; one of the deepes and hideous caves, protecting the gathered lore, raising new recruits and so on

- there are rumors and unconfirmed legends of an ancient temple, in which Vulan seemed to have caught something; rumor has it that they may be related to the Gorewings, a humanoid race of cannibals

Culture

- adherents to the Promethean Cult, though slightly altered and adapted by the people of Vulkar in terms of terminology

- oaths, use of runes, a book of grudges against seemingly "fellow" imperial allies or foes; example: a Forge World, which denied them precious archive data just for the sake of securing it in the name of the Omnissiah

- smiths and loremasters, the fire of Vulkan keeps the population alive and warm; his blades (sons) protect them

- venerated as "deliverers of hope" by their people

- Keepers of the Keys as important institution, guardians of both, their archives as well as their traditions, the word of the Promethean Cult, etc.

- many battle brothers make use of tattoes be it a reminder of a past battle or a rune/ oath to remember/ guard him

Geneseed

- stable

- features their genefather's traits, i.e. resilience and stamina

- there are no records of unusual skin pigmentations or differently colored eyes known

- only their temperament seems to be "hotter" than that of their distant gene brothers as they are holding grudges against those who did them wrong until said incidents have been settled

Notable Ashen Blades

- WIP

Chapter Fleet

- Vulkatrix (Battle Barge), flagship

- Draakenheart (Battle Barge)

- Blazing Spirit (Strike Cruiser)

- Vulkansson (Strike Cruiser)

- Grigni's Rage (Strike Cruiser)

- Grugmir's Anvil (Forge ship)

Chapter Appearance

Ashen Blades

Note: here's their old chapter symbol featured; you can find the new one at the beginning of this article

Sources of inspiration and why:

- Hallowed Knights of the Stormcast Eternals

The Salamanders were always the chapter closest to "religion" via the Promethean Cult. This was further expanded by the Ebondrakes Odyssey during the Horus Heresy in which the Disciples of the Flame came to be, a bunch of shattered legions Marines, all adhering to the words of a chaplain and his word. The Hallowed Knights are those most loyal to Sigmar, themselves being venerated by mortal men. By utilizing the Promethean Cult, I'm gonna try to do something similar without turning them into a zealous chapter like the Black Templars while at the same time presenting them as the "good guys", defending the innocent, etc.

- Fyreslayers

Easy. Dwarves searching for their god by gathering a certain substance/ material, sometimes acting as mercenaries for other forces in order to obtain said reward. Fire, smiths, axes, bit of runes, several tribes / lodges. I'm trying to not dive into that one too much. The Vlka Fenryka are basically a mix of both, dwarven and viking influences. The goal is to do something different without plainly saying: Dwarves in SPEEEEHZZZ

- 30K Legions: Iconoclasts, Thousand Sons, Salamanders for certain aspects like chasing after dangerous cult activities/ lore, etc.; greatest influence being the Salamaders, obviously

Well, those are my first thoughts on the Ashen Blades.

What do you guys think? Too much focusing on certain aspects? Choose something different for xy?

Cheers,
Kel

PS:

But Kel, wouldn't the Grey Knights or the Inquisition like to have a word or two with your Ashen Blades about gathering lore, etc.?

Yes and no.

The Grey Knights are too far spread in order to be of any use in that particular nice. There are way greater things happening out there.

The Inquisition is something, I remember Guiliman to dislike heavily. Correct me if I'm wrong but he distrusts them. Letting them get a hand on the precious past of the Imperium would be quite counterproductive. Naturally would that lead to a certain distrust between the Inquisition and the Ashen Blades, as well.

The only thing saving them from the Ordos are two things: more important things happening all across the Imperium Nihilus and an appropiate sigil of the Lord Regent or Lord Dante himself.

Edited by Kelborn

This sounds awesome!

Possible names: Ashen Seers, Ember Spades, Revealing Flames

I am really looking forward to you expanding and going deeper into this chapter's goal in Nihilus. Especially their involvement with Dante.

And if you need a Chapter to refuse your Primaris assistance, feel free to use my Crimson Sons of Vengeance.

You're off to a good start.

Chapter Badge: initial idea was too close to the Grey Knights badge, currently searching for a new one

How about a hand holding a torch, to show they bring light to the Imperium- and if necessary, fire- as in the following image?

D984_17_370_1200.jpg

Nitpicking:

to reestablish the past of the Imperium by creating an overall chronic

I think you mean, "to reestablish the past of the Imperium by creating an overall chronology"

The Grey Knights are too far spread in order to be of any use in that particular nice.

You mean, "The Grey Knights are too far spread in order to be of any use in that particular niche."

to reestablish the past of the Imperium by creating an overall chronic

I think you mean, "to reestablish the past of the Imperium by creating an overall chronology"

Or chronicle, maybe.

Really liking this concept, Kel. Fire bois born out of an ice world is a fun inversion, and their unique quest presents some cool opportunities and motives for their actions. I'm looking forward to a visual representation of them, as well as a symbol (and I'd second Bjorn's torch idea, that symbol would make a great icon for a chapter of Astartes).

Hail Brother Kel,

Looks like the makings of a very cool chapter. I've got a few points to ponder though:happy.:

Chapter Name: Ashen Sword is a rad name, but I'm having trouble pin pointing how it symbolizes your chapter. Ashen sounds very funerary to me. I wish I had an alternative suggestion that sounds equally cool, but I don't:blush.:

Homeworld: Vulkar sounds very much like Vulkan. Did the Salamanders rename it or perhaps the population did in honor of the Primarch's service to them?

Combat Doctrine: This reads more like a mission statement. Combat doctrine pertains more to the military means by which the mission is accomplished.

You use the term "astral" front. Are you referring to warfare on an astral plane (warp, psychic, dreamscape, etc.) or astral as in spiritual, as in hearts and minds. The later would be very much in line with the "remembrancer" aspect of their mission.

….its vanguard is mostly sent to search for data archives and such in order to reclaim as much as possible

The Mechanicum in their voracious search for knowledge and lost technology may give you the hairy eyeball:dry.: over this. Do you share with them? Might be a good point for gaining material support from the Martians and Forge Worlds.

...further do they seek out to hunt down chaos cults, burning their sites and records down

This is where you will definitely come into conflict with the Inquisition. They take a dim view of those who step on their territory (remember the Celestial Lions:eek:). Also sounds reminiscent of pre- Heresy Word Bearers' MO (at least that's something the Ordo Hereticus will happily point out).

I don't mean to sound overly critical. These comments are just something(s) to consider. Overall looks good. I think a militant arm of a resurrected version of the Remembrancers is a great idea. Sons of Vulkan homesteading on a ice world is something else I like a lot. Lots of good stuff to work with here:thumbsup:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Oh, yeah. I like the sound of the Ashen Blades so far. :happy.:

Sort of like Blood Ravens, with their gathering of artifacts and lore, but with clearer origins and a much clearer mission statement: protect the Imperium in body and soul.

I'd wonder if the AdMech wouldn't be too happy with them hoarding ancient lore, or if the Ashen Blades stay on the good side of the local AdMech by sharing or even outright gifting them any relevant and useful knowledge they find (after carefully verifying it is safe, of course)?

On a similar note - I'd like to see the Ashen Blades interact with whatever local branches of the Administratum exist around Vulkar and surrounding systems, maybe even allowing select Imperial scholars and scribes to have access to their libraries. After all, who better to have on your side than a faction with connections (albeit probably unreliable connections given Imperial bureaucracy :tongue.: ) to information and knowledge from all across the galaxy? :biggrin.:

EDIT:

Ah, ninja'd on the AdMech idea. :ph34r.:

Edited by Ace Debonair

Thank you, brothers!

I'm glad that you're enjoying them already. I certainly do more than I expected. Need to be carefull that I'm not disregarding the Night Owls, otherwise I need to adapt my vow. :sweat:

As I'm not able to use the quote function here at work, I'm gonna reply to your thoughts in a more traditional way. ;)

@Dolchiate Rememberancer:

I will come back to you regarding your Crimson Sons of Vengeance.

Regarding names: I quite like Ashen Seers but I would like to keep something "combat" related if that makes sense. For me, chapter names indicate certain impressions, concepts, ideas. As an example:

Iron Hands = craftmanship (motive of hand), hardness (motive of iron), discipline (iron is not natural, it is forged; forging requires discipline)

That being said, what do you guys think of: Ash Wardens? = something lost/ destroyed (fire and ash), protective (wardens), honorable (defenders of a cindered realm)

@Bjorn Firewalker:

That's a good idea regarding the torch holding hand. I'm gonna have a look if I can find something usefull.

Oh yeah, there are some typos. Gonna take care of them asap. ;)

@Messor

Yeah, I meant chronology/ chronicle. The inverted fire/ice theme was something that popped up while posting. Tbh, their entire homeworld came to be while posting this thread. Thought it gives me a lot to play with, having basically two quite different worlds combined in a single one, creating a Calth-ish setting. And I never did an ice world before, so let's see what happens.

@Brother Lunkhead:

Don't think your feedback was rude. It certainly wasn't.

The world Vulkar was renamed into its current name during the campaign of bringing it into compliance. The people of it saw Vulkan, was astonished by him and his liberating sons and the looks of them (glowing red eyes, coal black skin, etc.) The old name is long forgotten. Since the GC, the refer to their home as Vulkar, named after him.

"Astral"...yeah about that one. It's more in a spiritual way of mind and hearts by taking care of mankinds history and such, the "memory" of each society. Just didn't knew how to name it instead.

Their overall goal is not to obtain ancient technology, more to secure as much history as possible. Sure, if there's an STC lying around, they won't refuse to recover it, eh. ;)
Basically they are at better terms with the AdMech than the Inquisition for sure. My other chapter, the Night Owls, are meant to have very close ties with the AdMech. They are basically the archeotech raiders. This one trades old tech with new supplies, etc. If someone read Outer Dark by Rob MacNiven, there was a scene in which the Charcharodons exchanged some ancient artifacts for armor, munitions, tanks and such. Something like this happens here, as well.

About the Inquisition. Like I said, they are definitely not the best friends of the chapter. Guilimans sigil and the overall screwed up situation of the Imperium Nihilus is what "saves" them for now. Yes, there might be some actions/ incidents, etc. but not in the same range like the Celestial Lions. The Emperor's Gift showed us that no one is safe and out of reach for them. But as the southern half of the Imperium doesn't know what they are doing over there and even within the Imperium Nihilus, their lore collection is a secret, I'm talking about a handful of Inquisitors having a grudge against them. Maybe just single ones from time to time, not sure as of now.

Yes, you're right. The pre Lorgar Imperial Heralds / Iconoclasts is what birthed this concept. Chasing down all "religious" writings, spreading the Imperial Truth and such. Problem is that the IT is viewed as herey thanks to the Ecclisiarchy... So I changed the concept and turne them into a lore preserving chapter.

@Ace:

Interactions with other imperial branches is what I'm intending to explore, as well. Never did that before. This chapter might lead me to completely new shores. ;)

Indeed, the combat doctrine is currently more alike a mission profile. But basing on it, I will write down their doctrines as they are meant to fullfill their goals in the best ways possible.

Regarding the Chapter's name: The word 'Ashen' in the Chapter's name makes me think 'burnt', and brings to mind the old practice of fire-blackening blades to prevent them from reflecting light so much when fighting battles at night.

Given the Chapter's reliance on Vanguard marines for more... discreet operations, and the fact they're fighting a more 'subtle' war against knowledge man was not meant to know, I find the name Ashen Blades to fit your Chapter extremely well, as well as tying to the obvious Fire theme of the Salamanders. :biggrin.:

So... count that as one vote for keeping the name as Ashen Blades, I guess. :laugh.:

Edited by Ace Debonair

Clarifications look good...… I was thinking the same thing in regards to "Vulkar" and "astral". "Spiritual" or "cultural" might be more descriptive, in fact "cultural" might be best considering the Ashen Blades are followers of the Imperial Truth:wink:

Posted Today, 02:07 AM

Their overall goal is not to obtain ancient technology, more to secure as much history as possible. Sure, if there's an STC lying around, they won't refuse to recover it, eh. :wink:
Basically they are at better terms with the AdMech than the Inquisition for sure. My other chapter, the Night Owls, are meant to have very close ties with the AdMech. They are basically the archeotech raiders. This one trades old tech with new supplies, etc. If someone read Outer Dark by Rob MacNiven, there was a scene in which the Charcharodons exchanged some ancient artifacts for armor, munitions, tanks and such. Something like this happens here, as well.

That's what I understood you to mean. But where there's knowledge there's often technology too. Your Carcharodon solution should satisfy the AdMech splendidly.

About the Inquisition. Like I said, they are definitely not the best friends of the chapter. Guilimans sigil and the overall screwed up situation of the Imperium Nihilus is what "saves" them for now. Yes, there might be some actions/ incidents, etc. but not in the same range like the Celestial Lions. The Emperor's Gift showed us that no one is safe and out of reach for them. But as the southern half of the Imperium doesn't know what they are doing over there and even within the Imperium Nihilus, their lore collection is a secret, I'm talking about a handful of Inquisitors having a grudge against them. Maybe just single ones from time to time, not sure as of now.

The Great Rift should provide them with some flex room with the Inquisition. Watch your back though, it was just a few thin skinned Inquisitors that caused the Celestial Lions to have their "accident":pinch: The Ashen Blades could of course take the more direct Emperor's Spears approach:

"Any....vessels...bearing the Inquisition's mark that run the Straits of Epona will be destroyed without hesitation."

Yes, you're right. The pre Lorgar Imperial Heralds / Iconoclasts is what birthed this concept. Chasing down all "religious" writings, spreading the Imperial Truth and such. Problem is that the IT is viewed as herey thanks to the Ecclisiarchy... So I changed the concept and turne them into a lore preserving chapter.

It wasn't just pre-Lorgar Imperial Heralds but the Word Bearers during the crusade as well who did this. They had a specialized unit for this task called the Ashen Circle..... sound familiar:whistling:

If you're still considering alternate names for your chapter, I'll throw out this one.... The Wardens of Light. I think it's more in line with your chapter's calling... but no where near as cool sounding as Ashen Blades.

I really like your possible explanation of their name, Ace. Thank you for that. :Tu: Think I'm gonna keep Ashen Blades.

@Brother Lunkhead:

You're right, the similarities between the pre Heresy Word Bearers + the Ashen Circle and my chapter are far from being accidental. ;)

Regarding Wardens of Light, nope. Just no. Let me explain why:

The Wardens of Light are

- the Legion of a pal of Mine

- at the same time part of the Brotherhood of the Lost like my Predators Legion

- unquestionable the most known lost Legion out there

Just search them via Google or have a Look in the Special Projects area. Mikhallenoir got more artwork than entire projects together. ;)

Ashen Blades it is then:thumbsup: I was thinking about possible symbolism as well...… Guardian blade covered in the ash of the daemon, the heretic, and the xeno. All burned down in the name of the Emperor, to protect the Imperium of Man. Sooo…. what's your heraldry look like:happy.:

Wardens of Light:facepalm:  I totally forgot about those guys...… never mind:blush.:

I like your work, this a great start.

I'd like to know more about what exactly the Vanguard does to reclaim lore - is there anything specifically they're looking for? Do they hunt out forgotten or lost information, or do they cull information from other Imperial entities? How do Vanguard Marines participate in the stated mission? Why is this being done by Astartes at all rather than specially trained serfs or other mortal agents?

Lots of great ideas here and I'm excited to know more about them.

I like your work, this a great start.

I'd like to know more about what exactly the Vanguard does to reclaim lore - is there anything specifically they're looking for? Do they hunt out forgotten or lost information, or do they cull information from other Imperial entities? How do Vanguard Marines participate in the stated mission? Why is this being done by Astartes at all rather than specially trained serfs or other mortal agents?

Lots of great ideas here and I'm excited to know more about them.

I would imagine the Vanguard going into "hot" zones for data retrieval or infiltrating/raiding heretic or xeno lairs.... all places where serfs fear to tread:eek: :yes:

Sorry for my late reply.

Brother Lunkhead pretty much nailed it.

If I got the sparetime, I'll start fleshing out on the Ashen Blades, tomorrow. Including a color scheme suggestion.

And I'm gonna have a look on the Fyreslayers battletome. Maybe there's something useful, as well. :)

It makes sense for Guilliman to task a chapter with bringing the better, happier past back to the current Imperium. He may struggle for the survival of the human species right now, but there's still some idealism in him and he sees farther than most. Once humanity is safe, he'll want them to live, not just survive.

The Ashen Blades descending from the Salamanders is a little on the nose, I find. But then again, is there anyone Guilliman could trust better than the sons of Vulkan when it comes to safeguarding the future of mankind no matter the odds?

I assume Vulkar was named such when it was annexed into the XVIIIth Legion's realms. What about this planet made the Ashen Blades choose it as their homeworld? Did they feel sentimental about the past? Did they decide that they might as well establish themselves where humans are endlessly threatened? Was there already a fortified outpost brimming with ancient knowledge and powerful relics dating back to the Great Crusade? Was it all of the above and the chapter master saw it as a sign? Or did he simply have an interesting sense of humor and a taste for irony, making him go "Nocturne, 'Brace yourselves, Winter is already there' edition. Yeah, that'll do" when his fleet stumbled upon Vulkar?

Moving on to the fire theme. It's always a good thing not to achieve CHIM Kyme, but I feel there's potential here. The Salamanders' views on fire are linked to smithing; melting out the impurities, forging an unbreakable mind in an unbreakable body, crucible of war; all that.

Here, it can be shifted to the fire that keeps you warm, keeps you alive, keeps all the horrors of the galaxy away from you and your loved ones. It only takes a candle to light a fire, after all, and then the darkness is no more.

(A candle might be a good chapter badge if you follow that route. Adding a book would probably make it too similar to pre-damnation Word Bearers... but "the first idea behind the Ashen Blades were that of a Pre-Lorgar themed Primaris successor," so perhaps it would suit them. It also has the benefit of not looking like the arm of the Statue of Liberty.)

I like these hoarders of ancient lore. They're like a Warhammer 40,000 version of the Brotherhood of Steel from the Fallout franchise, with a heavy emphasis on the 'bro' part.

I also like Lorebringers as a name for the chapter even though, again, it's thoroughly on the nose. But it matches the 'Hope Bringer' archetype, as named by TVTropes, which space marines in general are supposed to embody and Salamanders in particular do embody with flying colors.

And indeed, history on its own isn't included in the Adeptus Mechanicus' 'Knowledge is Power' hoarding trip. And technology isn't part of the Ashen Blades' mission as given to them by Guilliman either.

Nice work on the livery, chapter symbols and all.... looks great:thumbsup: On to your heraldry…. I really like the gray accent in the flame. It's richly symbolic and looks nice too:happy.: Just one thing though.... they are called the Ashen Blades so shouldn't there be a sword somewhere in the chapter logo? I think you could do crossed swords behind torch without looking busy. Or even a flaming sword instead of the torch (I do like the torch though).

Good stuff:yes:

@Knights of the Raven:

As always, thank you for your thoughts. :tu: Gonna put them into my current draft.

Brotherhood of Steel, hm? Need to have a look on these guys, it seem.s

@Brother Lunkhead:

Thanks! Though that's not the final version, I fear. It's currently a bit to generic. Already got some thoughts regarding ranks and such, thanks to Fyerslayer fluff. ;)

Overall, I know, that their badge looks a bit like the Statue of Liberty but I'll gonna try to explain my train of thought regarding this.

Yesterday, I started looking for a fitting symbol until I found this one. While editing colors and such, I realized that it can stand for several things:

- holding up the flame of hope

- a light in the darkness

- an near extinct flame, carried on and protected by someone

- the way the hand is holding up the flame, it looks a bit like a dagger/ blade, ready to stab someone

- overall, when looking on both, flame + hand, the symbol has the shape of a sword/ blade

It fits the name, mostly by pure accident. :P

@Brother Lunkhead:

Thanks! Though that's not the final version, I fear. It's currently a bit to generic. Already got some thoughts regarding ranks and such, thanks to Fyerslayer fluff. :wink:

Pity, I think your livery is spot on. Chapter symbols are generic and could probably be jazzed up a bit though.

Yesterday, I started looking for a fitting symbol until I found this one. While editing colors and such, I realized that it can stand for several things:

- holding up the flame of hope

- a light in the darkness

- an near extinct flame, carried on and protected by someone

- the way the hand is holding up the flame, it looks a bit like a dagger/ blade, ready to stab someone

- overall, when looking on both, flame + hand, the symbol has the shape of a sword/ blade

It fits the name, mostly by pure accident. :tongue.:

I figured that's what you were going for and as far as symbolism it definitely works..... but still I feel it looks too small (the flame that is). I fear the other Space Marine chapters might tease you a bit:

Brother Big Mouth: "Saayy brother, is that a flaming pocket knife on your pauldron?":laugh.:

CRUNCH:furious: You punch him in the nose and lay him flat on the ground.... Brother Big Mouth shuts up:blink.:

I think the overall lore looks great:thumbsup:  and thanks for taking no inspiration from Nick Kyme:no:

The color scheme itself is rather fixed, what I meant was some little additions here and there. Maybe an adapted helm livery or such. Nothing to big, though.

Regarding the symbol, I'll gonna have a look for an alternative. A blazing sword, along with something book related, was something I had in mind, as well. But the book could be too close to both Imperial Heralds and Grey Knights.

After a quick look, I found these already:

https://comps.canstockphoto.com/shield-fire-book-sword-vector-clip-art_csp40784110.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/63rd_Infantry_Division_SSI.svg/1200px-63rd_Infantry_Division_SSI.svg.png

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/symbol-flaming-sword-granger.jpg

https://cdn4.iconfinder.com/data/icons/video-game-items-concepts/128/weapon-sword-flame-512.png

https://image.shutterstock.com/image-vector/sword-fire-260nw-629891054.jpg

Not a straight 1:1 copy but you're getting what I'm looking for.

Regarding Kyme. Though his work is mostly despised, I (at least) read his first Salamanders novel once and thought it halfway decent. But that was years ago and I was a lore noob. After reading Curze's Primarch novel, I'll either continue the Hamilcar novel or start digging into the Sallies omnibus again.

Don't be afraid, I'm not intending to do a Salamanders Primaris copy. But there might be some slight fire related tidbits here and there. I mean, it has to be as the AoS Fyreslayers are one of my sources of inspiration. :wink:

But in a different, more....humble? way. :happy.:

PS
Before I forget. This article might take longer than others. I'm currently focusing my spare time on my BL submission. After finishing that, I'll engage the Ashen Blades more than I'm doing it right now. :yes:

Edited by Kelborn

Glad to hear you're keeping the general design of your livery. I think it symbolizes the spirit of the chapter very well. I'm looking forward to seeing the details.

Regarding the symbol, I'll gonna have a look for an alternative. A blazing sword, along with something book related, was something I had in mind, as well. But the book could be too close to both Imperial Heralds and Grey Knights.

The "book" would also be very close to the Wuuurd Bearers:eek:

I took a look at the picture links (thanks for that) and I think a variation on the second or fifth one would be spot on.

Poor old Nick gets dumped on a lot. I do honestly despise his Salamander novels. There was too much Machiavellian drama within the ranks (I understood it to be the primary plot line) that just didn't settle well with me or ring right. There was none of the famous Salamander compassion or any real insight into the chapter's culture. You could have taken "Salamanders" out and put "No Name" chapter in and it would have been the same series. It was that generic. However, his Ultramarine(ahh...BLUE you know:wub:)  stories are excellent, so it's not like the chap can't write... he obviously has the gift. I just don't know where things went wrong with the Salamanders.

Sorry, that sounded dreadfully off topic..... just my long winded way of saying Kyme's Salamander books would be of no help for insight into the chapter culture or how a primogenitor chapter might evolve from them.

No pressure on this topic. Take your time and good luck with your BL submisson:yes:

Poor old Nick gets dumped on a lot. I do honestly despise his Salamander novels. There was too much Machiavellian drama within the ranks (I understood it to be the primary plot line) that just didn't settle well with me or ring right. There was none of the famous Salamander compassion or any real insight into the chapter's culture. You could have taken "Salamaners" out and put "No Name" chapter in and it would have been the same series. It was that generic.

Well said.

For me, the problem was overemphasizing the Salamanders' obsession with ritual branding, self-mutilation, and self-loathing, to the point Vulkan's sons seem like mega-masochists and closet Slaanesh worshippers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

very minor update but I'm still hanging around. ;)

After submitting my contribution for the BL submission window, I'm back for the Ashen Blades.  After listening several times to Realmslayer and its sequel, I'm more convinced than before that I'm going the right way with them.

As an example, I made use of the image of the second link and edited a bit. Here's the result:

Ashen Blade symbol

More updates/ fluff, etc. incoming in the next couple of days. Currently in a "brainstorm / writing everything down" phase. ;)